Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's one thing to have a playstyle of MAXIMUM BRAWLING where the Gauss Rifle doesn't have a space in your lance, but the math straight up says it's objectively a better weapon than the alternatives in the same class and if you disagree with that then that does make you wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What the gently caress game? I got the kill Brock Armstrong mission, and I was beating his rear end when he decides to bug out. Apparently his extract point is in the center of the map and he was already standing on it so he extracted immediately, 1 turn after I engaged him. That is pure bullshit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

What the gently caress game? I got the kill Brock Armstrong mission, and I was beating his rear end when he decides to bug out. Apparently his extract point is in the center of the map and he was already standing on it so he extracted immediately, 1 turn after I engaged him. That is pure bullshit.
Something something Bad Intel something something why isn't your Royal Highlander coring it out in one salvo?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What brock armstrong mission

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Synthbuttrange posted:

What brock armstrong mission

The one where you kill Brock Armstrong

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

did he do something bad

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've had a few where the escape point has appeared right beside the target, it's very annoying. Last time though I had Glitch jump jet in with her AC20 Cataphract and instantly core him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to kill brock armstrong and you can't make me

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

did he do something bad

He made bad people look less bad

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
With regards to the PPC (the poopy cannon, because it is poop), I wouldn't mind if it got a 5-10 base damage buff, with a stab/debuff nerf to compensate. Just needs a little extra oompf in my opinion. The ER large laser is absolute dogshit though, I don't know why anyone would use it.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 18, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

School Nickname posted:

With regards to the PPC (the poopy cannon, because it is poop), I wouldn't mind if it got a 5-10 base damage buff, with a stab/debuff nerf to compensate. Just needs a little extra oompf in my opinion. The ER large laser is absolute dogshit though, I don't know why anyone would use it.

Large lasers need some love, even the + variants are lackluster for Large Lasers (Meanwhile I love +crit on Medium lasers because they go last/you tend to have multiple). So anything that is not ":lol: I turned Large Laser/Lostech Large Laser into a headcapper" is probably gonna be a good buff.

PPC meanwhile, hard to claim it needs the help if your potential fix involves nerfing it in some way. If it sucked you wouldn't need to side nerf it over 5 more damage.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 18, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Large Lasers would be more useful if excess hit percentage over 95% went to improving the chances of hitting a called shot target.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

School Nickname posted:

On the Atlas II the large lasers fully max out the heat if you fire both of them. Meanwhile you can lay out every single other weapon every single turn without them and never go over your heat.
loving mental, why have that as a weapon?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I knocked large laser heat down by 10 and it totally serviceable and I use them often.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah it's one thing to have a playstyle of MAXIMUM BRAWLING where the Gauss Rifle doesn't have a space in your lance, but the math straight up says it's objectively a better weapon than the alternatives in the same class and if you disagree with that then that does make you wrong.

Don't care about the math, I personally don't like how it plays. Who cares if it is <<<OPTIMAL>>>? I don't fuckin like the weapon; get over it.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 18, 2018

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Don't care about the math, I personally don't like how it plays. Who cares if it is <<<OPTIMAL>>>? I don't fuckin like the weapon; get over it.
For your thoughtcrimes against the Gauss Rifle, you will suffer eternal damnation in the hereafter.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

For your thoughtcrimes against the Gauss Rifle, you will suffer eternal damnation in the hereafter.

I have to use only gauss rifles for eternity

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For an assassination mission when everyone's still running around in mediums? That is one hell of a salvage roll.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My save file is completely hosed. :(

Though, I had noticed playing multiplayer is that the pilot Kraken looks like one of those chinless white supremacists.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The first PPC on a mech is good because it lets you use your free built-in heat sinks. The 2nd PPC stinks because now you gotta put in heatsinks with weight to counteract it.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Section Z posted:

PPC meanwhile, hard to claim it needs the help if your potential fix involves nerfing it in some way. If it sucked you wouldn't need to side nerf it over 5 more damage.

To be honest I'd prefer the poopy cannon to be a better damage dealer on par with the AC10, as I hardly ever notice the accuracy debuff when I'm hit by them. Maybe if it stacked with multiple PPC hits to a maximum per round?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

School Nickname posted:

To be honest I'd prefer the poopy cannon to be a better damage dealer on par with the AC10, as I hardly ever notice the accuracy debuff when I'm hit by them. Maybe if it stacked with multiple PPC hits to a maximum per round?

THAT could be cool, or just boost the debuff entirely. If it's never gonna be the biggest damage dealer, make it a more dedicated CC weapon

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

I knocked large laser heat down by 10 and it totally serviceable and I use them often.

You argued the effectiveness and then slid the "my preference!" shell over the ball when people disagreed with you about effectiveness. Which is fine, just maybe don't get so indignant about it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Making the PPC debuff stack and/or last longer would definetly help, and would avoid the many things about it you can't change (like damage, size or weight). Apparently it's also easy to do?

The Large Laser needs big help though - a lot less heat would be a good start.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Making the PPC debuff stack and/or last longer would definetly help, and would avoid the many things about it you can't change (like damage, size or weight). Apparently it's also easy to do?
Can you make it disable indirect fire?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I'll look at it and see, it might be doable. Like I said a but up thread, I tunes the L Laser heat down by 10 and it's really great now, I use it alot.

pangstrom posted:

You argued the effectiveness and then slid the "my preference!" shell over the ball when people disagreed with you about effectiveness. Which is fine, just maybe don't get so indignant about it.

Let it go, jesus.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

The first PPC on a mech is good because it lets you use your free built-in heat sinks. The 2nd PPC stinks because now you gotta put in heatsinks with weight to counteract it.
Yeah shoving in a single PPC always feels more convenient than "Maybe I can fit an AC10 and... huh I'm out of room already?"

I just keep thinking of how hot a close to stock enforcer felt like it ran compared to the Vindicator, when both the AC10 and Large laser (for as overly hot that it is) are individually less heat than a PPC.

DatonKallandor posted:

Player stacking PPCs is a lot more effort compared to the AI bringing 4 panthers or multiple Shrek Tanks.

I remember one mission where the final living enemy was a Vindicator that spawned on top of a mountain, who had bulwark :v: Would have been less dragged out for them to have been replaced with a 3rd Orion.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 18, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Good point. So rather than a stacking debuff, maybe just a larger one. -5% to hit ain't poo poo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Good point. So rather than a stacking debuff, maybe just a larger one. -5% to hit ain't poo poo.

It's a tricky thing. This would make them matter more by the time it's assault spam and you have a B team of 7-10 gunnery pilots. But it would also make the early game panther spam atrocious.

Similarly, while you would have less space for PPCs. It could make Glitch even more of an early game monster because early game NPC pilot skills are also pretty poo poo before a debuff :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 18, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Section Z posted:

It's a tricky thing. This would make them matter more by the time it's assault spam and you have a B team of 7-10 gunnery pilots. But it would also make the early game panther spam atrocious.

Similarly, while you would have less space for PPCs. It could make Glitch even more of an early game monster because early game NPC pilot skills are also pretty poo poo before a debuff :v:

So looking at it, there 3 easily doable edits to PPC debuff:

1. Increase the base debuff
2. Increase debuff duration
3. Allow debuff stacking

1, your points above are valid. 2 might be a good option, but then you risk having a debuff the entire match due to sustained fire every couple of turns. 3, the AI will just loving ruin you with their massed PPC fire.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Flipswitch posted:

My save file is completely hosed. :(

Though, I had noticed playing multiplayer is that the pilot Kraken looks like one of those chinless white supremacists.

Pretty sure he's supposed to be A Goon. his first name is something out of FYAD, and his call sign is an old D&D joke.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's clearly a peepee cannon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
loving rad looking utility:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/123

quote:

BWE is a tool to view and edit various values stored in json files meant to define weapon parameters used by BattleTech (2018). Common values shared between weapon types will be batch edited to maintain continuity within weapon groups, with bonus attributes from upgraded weapons automatically applied to save time and headache. Bonus values themselves are individually set for each weapon, and automatically apply to and correct for appropriate attributes on assignment.

It also includes functionality to manually generate a backup file of the jsons as they currently exist, as well as restoring jsons from a chosen backup file.

Lastly, it displays and updates second-order statistics (like damage/ton ratios) to help users make more informed corrections.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yessssss

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow this looks amazing, thank you for sharing.

Zebulon posted:

I'm an idiot and constantly mix up Kurita and Liao. Sorry about that.
lol no sweat, I should have realized it was just a mistake between the successor states

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Section Z posted:

I remember one mission where the final living enemy was a Vindicator that spawned on top of a mountain, who had bulwark :v: Would have been less dragged out for them to have been replaced with a 3rd Orion.

I do this with Glitch all the time. Eventually, I moved her into a vindicator clones with higher tonnage limits (Shadowhawk, then Thunderbolt, then a Highlander), with better armor and an extra GFB eventually.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ah hah, I can set the PPC sensor debuff to stack UP TO A LIMIT. This sounds like the right move; you can't get too hosed by AI ppc spam, but it gives you incentive to stack more ppcs yourself.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ah hah, I can set the PPC sensor debuff to stack UP TO A LIMIT. This sounds like the right move; you can't get too hosed by AI ppc spam, but it gives you incentive to stack more ppcs yourself.

This sounds pretty good, actually

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If you end up doing this, can you post the relevant lines in here? I'm done with the campaign, so now I'm gearing up to do a big modded second run and the PPC getting some small buffs is on the list of things that'll have to happen. I'm also going to use your evasion/to-hit changes from a while ago (probably with some tweaks, but they'll be based on your post).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DatonKallandor posted:

If you end up doing this, can you post the relevant lines in here? I'm done with the campaign, so now I'm gearing up to do a big modded second run.

This is what I'm doing. Gonna wait the mod scene to mature a little more first, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

So looking at it, there 3 easily doable edits to PPC debuff:

1. Increase the base debuff
2. Increase debuff duration
3. Allow debuff stacking

1, your points above are valid. 2 might be a good option, but then you risk having a debuff the entire match due to sustained fire every couple of turns. 3, the AI will just loving ruin you with their massed PPC fire.

Why not make the debuff increase with the target's size? PPC hits a Light mech? -5% hit chance. PPC hits an Assault? -30% hit chance. That would make them increasingly good as tonnage-per-side increases and would make the three PPC Awesome amazing in late game. You would feel the effects as a player, but factoring in Gunnery skill you wouldn't notice too much. And on the other side of things, being able to PPC six out of eight attacking assaults would be amazing.

You'd have to tinker a bit to get the penalties right. 5/10/20/30 seems like an easy starting place, but might end up being too high. And I don't know how the change would work in multiplayer.