Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I liked the Rampage game from what I played of it and I liked the movie, so.

It's basically something like a modern B-movie. Kinda weird given Jumanji 2 was basically the best video game movie I've ever seen specifically by not being about a specific (real life) video game, but a sentient setting that's implicitly taking the piss out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you didn’t want Dwayne Johnson to transform into a giant gorilla, smash a building and then change back into a sheepish-looking nude man, covering his junk with his hands and sidling off out of frame man I don’t know what to tell you.

Surely the Internet would love a movie where a man who is not glacier-white WASP turns into a giant gorilla. :rolleyes:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's easily avoidable by having him be the wolf instead.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Surely the Internet would love a movie where a man who is not glacier-white WASP turns into a giant gorilla. :rolleyes:

From what I have seen, yes, parts of it would. This is the same internet that spawned god knows how many horrible fetishes based on morphing, fake animals, and gigantism and you honestly think the internet would hate that? It would be an instant cult classic and be championed by those who wear weird costumes and commission fetish pieces.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Razorwired posted:

According to the sequels the hacker's attempts kinda mean gently caress all. The machines consider them a bit of inevitable glitching because the illusion of rebellion makes the program work. So to keep them fighting the Agents are probably intentionally made to be imposing and nearly unstoppable without being omnipotent.
In one of Red Letter Media's Mr. Plinkett reviews he goes on a little rant about 'Don't try to tell me this was explained in one of the books or comics. I ain't never read no books'. I think the original Matrix should almost get that same treatment with regards to the sequels which amply demonstrated that the Wachowskis don't have the faintest clue what they're doing or how to tell a story in general. See also: Jupiter Ascending.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Jupiter Ascending, like Valerian & The City of a Thousand Planets, are great eye candy with incomprehensible plots. They are movies best viewed on an airplane, with the audio off & the subtitles on, and drunk on several mini bottles of booze the attendants offer.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
When a sitcom brings back a formerly recurring character for a one-off episode and completely destroys their characterization for cheap jokes. I'm catching up on Brooklyn 99, and in season 4 Teddy, Amy's former fiance, comes back for one episode only to be so comically exaggerated and overblown it's not even remotely funny. It also might be that he was a straight-man type character and in this episode he's supposed to be a source of humour instead.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I should preface this by saying I maybe go out to 3 movies a year, and that's usually only if I'm pretty darn sure it's going to be good.

Jupiter Ascending was one of the few movies I saw in the theater that I realized was stupid as I was watching it, as opposed to in the car on the way home. My IIMM is Channing Tatum is very endearing and he's great in Magic Mike and Logan Lucky but he should never be cast in anything where we're supposed to take him seriously.

Jupiter Ascending was the movie that really drove home to me though that there are absolutely no limits anymore to what can be shown in a movie except imagination and budget.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Imagined posted:

I should preface this by saying I maybe go out to 3 movies a year, and that's usually only if I'm pretty darn sure it's going to be good.

Jupiter Ascending was one of the few movies I saw in the theater that I realized was stupid as I was watching it, as opposed to in the car on the way home. My IIMM is Channing Tatum is very endearing and he's great in Magic Mike and Logan Lucky but he should never be cast in anything where we're supposed to take him seriously.

Jupiter Ascending was the movie that really drove home to me though that there are absolutely no limits anymore to what can be shown in a movie except imagination and budget.

Channing Tatum turned out to be a fantastic comedy actor, but he puts on one hell of a performance in Foxcatcher.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

From what I have seen, yes, parts of it would. This is the same internet that spawned god knows how many horrible fetishes based on morphing, fake animals, and gigantism and you honestly think the internet would hate that? It would be an instant cult classic and be championed by those who wear weird costumes and commission fetish pieces.

The point here is that The Rock is half black and a commom racist thing lovely people do is compare black people to gorillas, not that internet kinksters would enjoy it for pervy reasons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I think this is an admirable quality that the Wachowski's seem to be able to consistently deliver even when the movie isn't great overall. Jupiter Ascending, Cloud Atlas, and Speed Racer are all films that certainly have flaws but the imagination and creativity in them is also extremely obvious and I find it impossible not to enjoy them.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 14:24 on May 17, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You're a monster if you can't enjoy Speed Racer

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just have him rip his shirt off for no reason Captain Kirk style.

The Marvel movies have discovered the magic of the female gaze.

this makes me think what if one of the female avengers went shirtless...that would be hilarious, a marvel movie with bouncing titties every now and then

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, why was it a big deal in the second/third one that Smith "came back"?

He's a loving computer program, why wouldn't he have a backup? I'll allow that Neo hosed up his file system so bad that a simple "un-delete" wouldn't work, but surely this super advanced AI is taking nightly backups, yes?

Agent Smith posted:

I killed you, Mr. Anderson. I watched you die... with a certain satisfaction, I might add. Then something happened. something that I knew was impossible, but it happened anyway. You destroyed me, Mr. Anderson. After that, I understood the rules, I knew what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey. And now, here I stand because of you, Mr. Anderson. Because of you, I'm no longer an Agent of this system. Because of you, I've changed. I'm unplugged. A new man, so to speak. Like you, apparently, free.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the idea is that a "destroyed" program like Smith would've been supposed to return to the Source, and yea theoretically once there maybe he'd be reuploaded or repurposed or whatever. But Smith, somehow as a result of his contact with Neo, was able to rebel against that and remain in the Matrix as more of a virus.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the idea is that a "destroyed" program like Smith would've been supposed to return to the Source, and yea theoretically once there maybe he'd be reuploaded or repurposed or whatever. But Smith, somehow as a result of his contact with Neo, was able to rebel against that and remain in the Matrix as more of a virus.

Pretty much this. He was no longer an agent of the system, but his own agent with his own sinister motives.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

it's like running an uninstaller, except when uac asked for admin privileges, neo clicked the yes button so hard it tried to uninstall the entire c: drive

so, the matrix's engine was built by bungie instead of bethesda the whole time

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Samuringa posted:

You're a monster if you can't enjoy Speed Racer

Speed Racer is a stone cold masterpiece

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've heard Speed Racer is a good movie to play to show off your A/V setup, at least.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Speed Racer is the one out of those three that does get some positive attention, but Cloud Atlas deserves some too. For whatever flaws you might want to argue it has(shoddy make-up jobs, dumb sounding dialects) I still think it's a massive accomplishment and I rewatch it every few years because the scope and variety of it is something you don't find in many films.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Speed Racer is the best live action cartoon I have ever seen with absolutely perfect casting. That they even bothered to include Spridle and Chim-chim in the main plot was spectacular and they managed to capture exactly how annoying and dangerous they were in the cartoon.

Fake Edit: what was Pop's line? "Sad what passes for a ninja these days. More like nonja."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schubalts posted:

They're saving that for an Ultraman remake.

They're saving that for Crank 3

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

RBA Starblade posted:

They're saving that for Crank 3

If they are actually making a crank 3 it would make my year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Probably not gonna happen. Especially if Hobbes & Shaw makes a billion dollars, Statham will probably be on to bigger and better things for the forseeable future.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Justvwant to chime in and add my love for Speed Racer.

The worst part of it is some not-great green screen but otherwise it is an extraordinary visual treat.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Speed Racer is the one out of those three that does get some positive attention, but Cloud Atlas deserves some too. For whatever flaws you might want to argue it has(shoddy make-up jobs, dumb sounding dialects) I still think it's a massive accomplishment and I rewatch it every few years because the scope and variety of it is something you don't find in many films.

Cloud Atlas is one of those films that left me slightly underwhelmed when I left the theater but kept returning to me for weeks. The more I thought about it, the more it somehow both annoyed and impressed me.

It has flaws the size of a small truck but is so ambitious I just can't help root for it. I'm sure it's saying something profound too, even if the film itself doesn't always know the point it's trying to make.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I don't think it will happen sadly

quote:

"Because let's face it, Crank 2 is a really cool movie, but it made like $12 at the box office," Taylor confessed. "There's not a strong financial reason why everybody's trying to make this movie to get rich. There's only one reason to make Crank 3, and that's just because it's super f*cking cool. If it's not that, then it's not worth the time. That's really what would need to happen for that movie to exist, is for everybody to be on the same page creatively to, 'Okay, as exponentially weirder as Crank 2 was to Crank 1, that's how Crank 3 has to be.'"
Source

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

Justvwant to chime in and add my love for Speed Racer.

The worst part of it is some not-great green screen but otherwise it is an extraordinary visual treat.

Speed Racer was the first Blu-ray disk I purchased. I bought it before I had a player that could play it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Movies that end on a "gently caress you" note. Like this movie I just finished called Primal Rage: The Legend of Oh-Mah (would not recommend, especially if you don't like the idea of a bigfoot rape scene), the protagonist beats the bigfoot in a heroic last stand and you think he is about to go home, but then nope, two more bigfoots kill him and fade to credits. There was absolutely no indication that there were more than one of them in the area for the entire rest of the movie. It's like that comedy cliche they used to do where the character is yelling in the street or whatever and gets plowed over by a bus, but instead of being funny it's just annoying and makes me felt like I wasted my time watching it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Movies that end on a "gently caress you" note. Like this movie I just finished called Primal Rage: The Legend of Oh-Mah (would not recommend, especially if you don't like the idea of a bigfoot rape scene), the protagonist beats the bigfoot in a heroic last stand and you think he is about to go home, but then nope, two more bigfoots kill him and fade to credits. There was absolutely no indication that there were more than one of them in the area for the entire rest of the movie. It's like that comedy cliche they used to do where the character is yelling in the street or whatever and gets plowed over by a bus, but instead of being funny it's just annoying and makes me felt like I wasted my time watching it.

Does the ending to WANTED count as a "gently caress you" also?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Every loving horror movie does this and its more of a surprise when they don't at this point

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sorcerer does this, and it's not out of nowhere or an asspull but it still stings.

Not sure if it makes it better or worse, honestly. It's that kind of movie where things just don't go well so you're always on the edge, but these are literally the last seconds where it seemed like someone could have a moment of happiness.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I thought the ending was both a lame cop out “gently caress you” and an explanation for how the Bigfoot was seemingly omniscient. Still didn’t make the ending any good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Piranha 3D also pulled this.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Mist movie?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

I thought the ending was both a lame cop out “gently caress you” and an explanation for how the Bigfoot was seemingly omniscient. Still didn’t make the ending any good.

I guess that second bit makes sense but I still don't know why only one was ever shown on screen until that point. The other ones had different masks/etc (I think) and we only saw the one. Maybe it was some ritual they do where he picks a human to rape? Who knows/cares. The more I think about that movie the more I regret watching it.

Anyway I know the ending is pretty common but that doesn't make it any less irritating. Like I thought the ending to The Descent was fine with her leaving in her car and hallucinating the dead girl, but then that one ending has her just wake up back in the cave again about to get eaten. It just screams "we don't know how else to end this" and cheapens the whole thing.

e: The Mist ending was a little different, if they had just rolled credits immediately after he shot them I'd put it in the same category, but as it is I think it's fine, albeit brutal.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Aleph Null posted:

The Mist movie?

The Mist is like the opposite of that.

Rather than "Now the horror is gone... or is it?!" it's "Now the horror is here forever... or is it?!"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Does Cabin in the Woods count?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

Does Cabin in the Woods count?

I was pretty happy to see them die actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Besides sequel hooks, I really hate the "everything you just saw was irrelevant, gently caress you audience"-enders. Its lazy writing and a way to mock the audience for actually being interested in something; its also done so many times that there no is shock value or artistic merit in it whatsoever.