Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Ra rules. Never played Mode Art (want to), but Ra is a great auction game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Forgot to add but if you get Ra, get the old version. Asmodee has been rereleasing them with cheaper plastic components. I specifically got the old T&E game because of this.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

silvergoose posted:

Which is fine, and people can have fun and/or nostalgia with Talisman, and it changes nothing about whether it's a trash game.

I know that Talisman is trash, but I really enjoy it. I don't know why, I'd normally hate something like that, but I think its just because it's a been a fun experience generator. I like the stupid emergent stuff. Like we have one player who gets turned into a frog every. loving. game. And finally, after months of playing it, he made it to the tower of command without getting frogformed, only we had a random facedown expansion ending, and when he flipped it over, it was the frog prince one where no one wins. It was so funny.

We had another player who super early on went to the tavern, and one of the rolls there is you get in a fight with a farmer. He lost, and swore revenge. He went and got kitted up, and came back to 'fight the farmer again', he got the necessary roll to have a fight, and against all odds, lost again. Later on, there was an event drawn that was a travelling shop, basically a tavern that moves around the board. We were all saying it was the farmer's travelling wagon, hunting down his prey. It finally did catch up with ol' Daffy again, and once more he rolled the 'get in a fight' encounter! At this point he was basically endgame ready, but the farmer put him on his rear end again. Someone else eventually got to the crown of command and was raining hellfire down on everyone. Only Daffy stood, and on what would probably be his final turn, he got exactly the right number to land on the tavern. Once more, almost perversely, he got drunk and picked a fight with a farmer. At this point, the fight was actually to the death, since once someone reaches the crown deaths are final, and he was on one hitpoint..... He won! (And then immediately died to a fireball, but at least with a smile on his face).

Obviously, you'd get better stuff than this with like, a real RPG, and if those examples weren't so impossibly consistent they wouldn't really have been anything at all. AND more importantly, these are probably poo poo terrible stories, but because I shared them with good friends, they stood out to me, and the quality was in the spending time with good friends and not in Talisman. I totally get all that. But I think BECAUSE Talisman is trash, it's more of a beer and pretzels game. You can't really poo poo talk each other all game for a game of Scythe in good nature, but Talisman you can just constantly smack talk each other all day because it's so utterly inconsequential. You can't really go off-piste doing your own nonsense thing in a game of Pandemic, because it will ruin the game. I DO think there's something to be said for a sandboxy poo poo trash game in that regard. It's kind of like having a bad movie on as an excuse to have people over for beers. There are better movies, but people might not want you talking all over them. 'Something on in the background'.

Actually, I mean having said this, I'm SURE there are better games for this, any suggestions? We recently played Arabian Nights, and that's 'nearly' a 100% improved Talisman, except that there's the admin of reading from the books. Which is super slight, but you know.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Which is fine, and people can have fun and/or nostalgia with Talisman, and it changes nothing about whether it's a trash game.

He already said they were having fun with Arkham Horror. It's a lateral move at worst. I'm sure his students would have a blast with Talisman.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I don't care, don't recommend talisman to people asking for games unless they include "and it's okay if it's a bad game".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

kaujot posted:

Talisman got me into boardgames. :shrug:
Me too, but that was like 25 years ago and we have much better entry points nowadays.

Chill la Chill posted:

Asmodee has been rereleasing them with cheaper plastic components.
Literally worse than Hitler.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
If anyone (USA) wants to get gouged for a Korean copy of Modern Art in shrink that I brought over, PM me. I also have a Chinese copy I found.

Chill la Chill posted:

Were you the one saying you’ve been waiting for 5+ years for deep thought games to deliver some 18xx?

Nope, but by the time I get around pnp’ing 1889 it might be 5 years

Chill la Chill posted:

I love auction games and I have them all :negative:

You should get Tulip Bubble, the auctions in that can be pretty brutal when the markets don’t go your way

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Was about to say, there’s better games for that experience generator. My group likes historical experience generators so something like John company or Here I Stand. There’s more decisions and turns into risk management with damage control but they’re pretty stressful.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Medici can get pretty heated sometimes as people agonize over bids.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Rutibex posted:

He already said they were having fun with Arkham Horror. It's a lateral move at worst. I'm sure his students would have a blast with Talisman.
I'm not a teacher so not students, just my girlfriend and friends.

So Arkham Horror LCG isn't considered to be too good ITT?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The LCG is great. Arkham horror the board game is an antiquated mess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't play Arkham Horror the Board Game. Last time we had it on the table after about 5 turns someone (playing the game for the first time) said "This game is terrible" and we agreed and put it away and never played it again.

I've been trying to think of a nominee for the best-in-class sandboxy "go around and collect items and have random encounters" genre to suggest to people instead of Talisman or Arkham Horror or Arabian Nights.

Maybe Fury of Dracula? It scratches many of the same itches but it's a much much better game. Unfortunately out of print, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

I've been trying to think of a nominee for the best-in-class sandboxy "go around and collect items and have random encounters" genre to suggest to people instead of Talisman or Arkham Horror or Arabian Nights.

The answer is clear

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Eldritch Horror is quite a step up from Arkham Horror in the department I think.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

a7m2 posted:

I'm not a teacher so not students, just my girlfriend and friends.

So Arkham Horror LCG isn't considered to be too good ITT?

Arkham Horror LCG is pretty good. But the terrible Arkham Horror board game is much older. So posters here assume you are talking about that version if you don't mention LCG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

golden bubble posted:

Arkham Horror LCG is pretty good. But the terrible Arkham Horror board game is much older. So posters here assume you are talking about that version if you don't mention LCG.

He did, rutibex is just a moron and is making GBS threads up the thread like always

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

Don't play Arkham Horror the Board Game. Last time we had it on the table after about 5 turns someone (playing the game for the first time) said "This game is terrible" and we agreed and put it away and never played it again.

Maybe Fury of Dracula? It scratches many of the same itches but it's a much much better game. Unfortunately out of print, though.

MoM 2E is a pretty obvious choice in my opinion, but the cost is a barrier to entry.

And WizKids will be making a new Fury of Dracula in case you didn't hear. They are historically not good but I think they've been improving, so maybe it'll be good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sidereal Confluence from WIz kids doesn’t explode into dust so it’s better...I guess.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would be down with FoD if it weren't arbitrarily 3 hours long. Also, the double rule book suuuuuucks

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

I would be down with FoD if it weren't arbitrarily 3 hours long. Also, the double rule book suuuuuucks

Letters From Whitechapel is Fury of Dracula with a lot of the bullshit trimmed off.

Whitehall Mystery is Letters From Whitechapel with all of the bullshit trimmed off. Whitehall Mystery is very good.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

And WizKids will be making a new Fury of Dracula in case you didn't hear. They are historically not good but I think they've been improving, so maybe it'll be good.

It looks like the same thing as 3rd but with painted miniatures. We'll see though.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

deadwing posted:

Letters From Whitechapel is Fury of Dracula with a lot of the bullshit trimmed off.

Whitehall Mystery is Letters From Whitechapel with all of the bullshit trimmed off. Whitehall Mystery is very good.

That is what I have read, and bought them in that order for those reasons haha. I decided to not even try to table Letters from Whitechapel, but I am trying to get Whitehall Mystery to the table as soon as possible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

If you find that you really like stabby auction games, Chicago express and the estates areboth good for that. The latter will be reprinted around December. But all of the other recommendations are good. I love auction games and I have them all :negative:

Did you get in on the Turin market reprint?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadow225 posted:

The original Fury of Dracula takes a lot less than three hours.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

Obviously, you'd get better stuff than this with like, a real RPG, and if those examples weren't so impossibly consistent they wouldn't really have been anything at all.

This is the main beef I have with Talisman. There's a place for games that are just dumb and random, but Talisman is mostly just tedious and boring. 99% of the time nothing interesting is happening.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For someone who enjoys a game like Talisman, I think the "bullshit" in FoD would be a feature, not a drawback.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jordan7hm posted:

Did you get in on the Turin market reprint?

No. I think it was pointed out last time when this came up too :(

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Container sounded really interesting when SUSD talked about it, are there any goons who've played it? Is it going to be worth the giant wad of money it'll cost?

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
You can still preorder it on Mercury games website until May 20th or so. It's $85 compared to $120. Heavy Cardboard did a few playthroughs, one with the older version and one with the reprint and new investment bank mechanic. Those videos sold me on the game.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

The old one isn't bad, but it is super dry. You're just making brown crates, selling brown crates, buying brown crates, or shipping brown crates. Also, it's possible to accidentally bleed all the money out of the economy. (I guess it's possible to do it intentionally, too, but don't do that.)

I like it enough that I'm glad it's getting remade, but not enough to want to buy the remake. I hope one of my friends buys it, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CellBlock posted:

Also, it's possible to accidentally bleed all the money out of the economy. (I guess it's possible to do it intentionally, too, but don't do that.)

Did that change in the new one? That's the best thing about the game!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Container is good. It's light, basically one single page of rules, plays in about 60 minutes, and is entirely player driven. This can lead to sour experiences where a group of newbies burn all the money, but once you know what to avoid Container is an experience unlike any other.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Did that change in the new one? That's the best thing about the game!

Investment bank makes it easier to keep the economy chugging

Also the whole point of the remake is so you can play the game with SEVEN INCH SHIPS

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Straight White Shark posted:

This is the main beef I have with Talisman. There's a place for games that are just dumb and random, but Talisman is mostly just tedious and boring. 99% of the time nothing interesting is happening.

You need to play with more expansions. The more expansions the more whacky poo poo can happen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Lord of Hats posted:

Container sounded really interesting when SUSD talked about it, are there any goons who've played it? Is it going to be worth the giant wad of money it'll cost?

I made my own copy a while back and I've only played it a few times, but as an extremely dry economic game, it's really drat good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

No. I think it was pointed out last time when this came up too :(

you still can get in on the Turin Market reprint. Free shipping on preorders made up until fulfillment starts. http://www.darkflightgames.com/#/turin-market-reprint/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

You need to play with more expansions. The more expansions the more whacky poo poo can happen.

Emphasis on "can", which is the problem with gameplay that boils down to "roll to see if anything interesting happens."

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

al-azad posted:

Container is good. It's light, basically one single page of rules, plays in about 60 minutes, and is entirely player driven. This can lead to sour experiences where a group of newbies burn all the money, but once you know what to avoid Container is an experience unlike any other.

I'm in the same boat - read about it here, didn't really heed it much mind, but the SUSD cast sold me on it. My big question is: is it really $85 good? Seems pretty dang steep...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Container is a game that’s pretty opaque, meaning that you’ll have to walk beginners through the game. I don’t like doing that, so I sold my copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

Yeah, I can see how a particular group could break the game, but as long as that doesn't happen, it's great. The playtime is a real benefit too.

I don't think it's particularly complicated to teach.