Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
For all that everything has the logistical scent of death about it I’m hopeful we’ll still have a good time (though thanks for the heads up about the security time Ineptmule, I was already a bit worried about that so will make sure i get going early).

The charitable interpretation of what’s gone wrong is:

1.) they started with a Good Idea - the fixed terrain layouts with a few terrain designs that can be mass produced clearly is one.
2.) they let enthusiasm lead to a bit of scope creep - one of their videos showed that they were originally intending to do resin gloss layer lakes as area terrain, and that’s waaaaay more of a complicated step than is needed to make it work.
3.) they didn’t recognise that scale up was going to make what i assume is a process they’ve used before non-viable - they appear to have been doing this build in the organiser’s back garden, and from the videos it’s soo full of materials that they can barely breath, let alone have the space to properly work on it. This is presumably to avoid the need to hire an off-site warehouse/build location - instead they’ve gone through the whole chain of “material is delivered” to “terrain gets built” to “terrain loaded up for transport to the event” in place.

With my project lead hat on, they needed to:

1.) properly identify the MVP to deliver their goal. Their corner ruins look like a good fit to that, their area terrain really doesn’t. Playing around with the area terrain ideas probabky cost them valuable time.
2.) prototype the build process for their MVP to get an idea of how long it takes per table early so they can use that to inform maximum player numbers.
3.) look for risks in the process where a doubling in scale was going to cause problems. In this case, I’m going to guess that the lack of physical space has bitten them hard - I expect that their timelines just about looked good on paper when working in a nice, clear environment, but working in the enormously cluttered space they’ve been in will have slowed everything to a crawl. With the amount of money they’ve taken in they could probably have afforded to hire some space somewhere for a month to store and build in, or even just a storage locker nearby where all the parts that were not needed for the thing they were doing each day could be kept out of the way.

All of these things are things they can learn for next year and I hope they do, but it’s probably rubbing people so badly because their social media personas very much read as people who think they’re god’s gift to event management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Badablack posted:

I’ve always wanted to play primaris space marines ever since I started playing this game a decade ago, and with Deathwatch it looks like my dream could finally come true. If I don’t care about slicing huge chunks out of my thumbs replacing shoulderpads, is there anything in the Dark Imperium starter box Marine side that’s not useable?

It looks like there’s a banner guy, but that’s just a snip and a gun away from another regular dude. And Gravis armor guy can be a terminator watch captain.

Even if you throw the Gravis captain in garbage you're still coming out far ahead money-wise

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Badablack posted:

Is there anything in the Dark Imperium starter box Marine side that’s not useable?

It looks like there’s a banner guy, but that’s just a snip and a gun away from another regular dude. And Gravis armor guy can be a terminator watch captain.

Gravis Armor Captain -> Terminator Watch Captain
Primaris Ancient -> Primaris Watch Captain (a great "sword in the air" model)
Primaris Lieutenants -> Primaris Watch Captains

If you got creative you could make some of those into Primaris Librarians or Chaplains, or use them to make your Intercessors squads less samesy.

I would recommend getting a Guardian Spear so you can make a tall Watch Master.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

One_Wing posted:

For all that everything has the logistical scent of death about it I’m hopeful we’ll still have a good time (though thanks for the heads up about the security time Ineptmule, I was already a bit worried about that so will make sure i get going early).

1.) they started with a Good Idea - the fixed terrain layouts with a few terrain designs that can be mass produced clearly is one.
2.) they let enthusiasm lead to a bit of scope creep - one of their videos showed that they were originally intending to do resin gloss layer lakes as area terrain, and that’s waaaaay more of a complicated step than is needed to make it work.
3.) they didn’t recognise that scale up was going to make what i assume is a process they’ve used before non-viable - they appear to have been doing this build in the organiser’s back garden, and from the videos it’s soo full of materials that they can barely breath, let alone have the space to properly work on it. This is presumably to avoid the need to hire an off-site warehouse/build location - instead they’ve gone through the whole chain of “material is delivered” to “terrain gets built” to “terrain loaded up for transport to the event” in place.

1.) properly identify the MVP to deliver their goal. Their corner ruins look like a good fit to that, their area terrain really doesn’t. Playing around with the area terrain ideas probabky cost them valuable time.
2.) prototype the build process for their MVP to get an idea of how long it takes per table early so they can use that to inform maximum player numbers.
3.) look for risks in the process where a doubling in scale was going to cause problems. In this case, I’m going to guess that the lack of physical space has bitten them hard - I expect that their timelines just about looked good on paper when working in a nice, clear environment, but working in the enormously cluttered space they’ve been in will have slowed everything to a crawl. With the amount of money they’ve taken in they could probably have afforded to hire some space somewhere for a month to store and build in, or even just a storage locker nearby where all the parts that were not needed for the thing they were doing each day could be kept out of the way.

All of these things are things they can learn for next year and I hope they do, but it’s probably rubbing people so badly because their social media personas very much read as people who think they’re god’s gift to event management.

This. Seems they just didn't plan at all. 11 days to do 220 tables of terrain? Even simple division shows thats 22 tables per day, each table has a decent amount of terrain, that's absolutely insane. Like finishing several bits of terrain every hour every day for 2 weeks...

We'll see how it goes!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For anyone unfamiliar with it, transparent resin also differs from normal resin in that it can take a week or longer to fully cure, depending on the size of the object. I recasted all the clear parts of a gundam model (I wanted a lighter color), and even with how thin they were it took quite a while for them to harden.

It's...not something you impulse-do a week before a tournament.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Twisted posted:

London grand tournament. 440 40k weebs, and 80ish glorious strong attractive heresy players and then some blood bowl or some poo poo. In the Olympic stadium.

Apparently with no painted terrain at £50 a pop with no food or drink allowed except what you buy on site. I'm not irritated at all...

Wait, what? You're seriously telling me that people are willing to pay that kind of money, just for ENTRY and they're not allowed food or water unless they shell out more cash while in there?
Gouging people must be a favoured past time over there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Irate Tree posted:

Wait, what? You're seriously telling me that people are willing to pay that kind of money, just for ENTRY and they're not allowed food or water unless they shell out more cash while in there?
Gouging people must be a favoured past time over there.

No outside food is pretty standard stuff at tournaments hosted outside game stores though?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're paying over $100, I'd want to hope that the food is either really loving good or free. Telling people to gently caress off because they got a bottle of drink outside the event would be a really lovely thing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wish GW was running events in the US

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Irate Tree posted:

If you're paying over $100, I'd want to hope that the food is either really loving good or free. Telling people to gently caress off because they got a bottle of drink outside the event would be a really lovely thing.

It's the Olympic stadium, it's a giant boondoggle which exists solely to gouge people.

One_Wing posted:

Yeah it's the last part. Harry's had some right messes at Battlefield Birmingham over the years, but he's a personable guy and easy to chat to so they get forgiven. The LGT guys have set themselves up as being a cut above all that, so they get held to a higher standard.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

no food or drink allowed except what you buy on site. I'm not irritated at all...

That is the most :patriot: thing I've heard today.

We're infecting y'all with our consumer unfriendly cash grabs.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Adepticon had the same food and drink rule but no one gave a poo poo about it; just something the venue made them say. It's really up to the venue, and it's not like affordable places for 1000 people are common.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Corrode posted:

It's the Olympic stadium, it's a giant boondoggle which exists solely to gouge people.

Yeah it's the last part. Harry's had some right messes at Battlefield Birmingham over the years, but he's a personable guy and easy to chat to so they get forgiven. The LGT guys have set themselves up as being a cut above all that, so they get held to a higher standard.

We are literally playing in a bar at a football stadium, so it is kind of reasonable that the drinks and food is all provided by the on-site catering.

As for the logistics, it’s no surprise to me - I know the main guy, Zach, a bit and he’s definitely a ‘confident personality’. It’s only the second year they’ve done it and I’m sure they’ll learn as they go. Insane that it’s ballooned in size so much for the second time round.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I am also turning my Dark Imperium primaris into Deathwatch at the moment and clipping all those shoulder pads was a pain.

After I replaced all the left pads with Deathwatch ones I glued everyone together. Then I opened the 5-man Kill Team box I bought and found out that box has 16 right shoulder chapter sculpted pads. Spent another hour taking the sharp clippers at the primaris boys.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

You've got your chicken and egg reversed. At the time of the US revolution against "King George", the UK's economy was basically a libertarian wet dream. The US system was a copy paste job. An argument could be made that love of business ripping people off was behind a lot of the UK agitation against EU rules. See the outrage over English milk "chocolate" being relabeled. Requiring "chocolate" to contain a minimum amount of chocolate is an attack on UK sovereignty. :britain:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

They have an Olympic stadium so they’re already familiar with getting hosed needlessly.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
The whole nation is grifted by a family of inbred germans who's only contribution to society is telling everyone how important they are.

I post this while my elected president takes his umpteenth weekend vacation to his taxpayer-fortified Florida resort.

Grift is the bond that unites both sides of the pond.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like I could bulk produce a few hundred identical tables, but I'm not running a tournament.

They'd all be the same cratered Imperial airstrip using electrical boxes and soup cans, with a stencil to show where the strip was - but that's the kind of thing you can do on a budget with about thirty minutes of actual work per table.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So it looks like GW is being pretty restrictive about their model policy, with a strict WYSIWYG for their Warhammer World events. For example I asked if my Primaris Lt (the converted Captain with power sword and bolt pistol instead of bolt rifle) would be a viable Watch Master and they said no unless he had a Guardian Spear.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

The whole nation is grifted by a family of inbred germans who's only contribution to society is telling everyone how important they are.

I post this while my elected president takes his umpteenth weekend vacation to his taxpayer-fortified Florida resort.

Grift is the bond that unites both sides of the pond.

Which armies would the Hannoverian Usurpers and the Trumps play?

Donnie - Custodes, gold, easy.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So it looks like GW is being pretty restrictive about their model policy, with a strict WYSIWYG for their Warhammer World events. For example I asked if my Primaris Lt (the converted Captain with power sword and bolt pistol instead of bolt rifle) would be a viable Watch Master and they said no unless he had a Guardian Spear.

That seems completely reasonable. Power swords and bolt pistols are weapons that appear in the deathwatch book, so your opponent would expect those to be what they are, especially since you probably have other power swords and bolt pistols in your army.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well yeah, they want you to buy more stuff.

My local GW store has tournaments planned, but they have a strict policy, no prizes. I guess that keeps all the try-hards from descending on a small store, but a few bucks credit or a little model would be a nice carrot on the stick.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheBigAristotle posted:

Selfless eternal service to another, academia and philosophy and the arts? Yeah no.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Necromunda Spyrer gangs, each ganger named after themselves with self-insert wish-fulfilment fluff.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My only contribution to this topic is that Eldar are totally the Tory army of choice.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

ineptmule posted:

We are literally playing in a bar at a football stadium, so it is kind of reasonable that the drinks and food is all provided by the on-site catering.

As for the logistics, it’s no surprise to me - I know the main guy, Zach, a bit and he’s definitely a ‘confident personality’. It’s only the second year they’ve done it and I’m sure they’ll learn as they go. Insane that it’s ballooned in size so much for the second time round.

I went to the first one. Was MDF unpainted terrain then... Biggest complaint people had was the bloody terrain.

Edit: it's also the third run at this. And there are, within 10 mins drive of the stadium, at least 2 clubs (HATE and Tanelorn) and another within 45 mins drive (LWHGG) who have, between them, at least 40-50 tables worth of pro made painted terrain and mats. That'd be 25% of your terrain off the bat with 0 effort if you decided to not :sperg: standardise it for optimal tournament conditions.

Noone was approached for terrain, even when they offered.

Edit2: not trying to rant at you imeptmule, I'm just a bit peeved as this has been hyped as the EVENT OF THE YEAR for HH narrative and it might be pushing our beautiful man's around a bowling green of MDF... Again

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 18, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Selfless eternal service to another, academia and philosophy and the arts? Yeah no.

He'd read the fluff like he reads Intel reports, or the many documents he claims to read daily

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Question for the thread:

You have a choice, should there be less mortal wounds in the game or less invulnerable saves?

Or maybe less FNPs?

Or am I just mad at the smite spamming Hive Fleet Kraken Genestealer player at my local store with 4x4 tables?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

That seems completely reasonable. Power swords and bolt pistols are weapons that appear in the deathwatch book, so your opponent would expect those to be what they are, especially since you probably have other power swords and bolt pistols in your army.

I suppose, but a "Guardian Spear" is just a bolter welded to a power sword and they just approved the model as a Primaris Captain even though he doesn't have a bolt rifle. There's also no options available to a Watch Master; he only gets one choice.

Hopefully the NOVA guys won't have a problem with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

Question for the thread:

You have a choice, should there be less mortal wounds in the game or less invulnerable saves?

Or maybe less FNPs?

Or am I just mad at the smite spamming Hive Fleet Kraken Genestealer player at my local store with 4x4 tables?

Was it more than 1000 points? If it was sounds like the problem was being too cramped.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Was it more than 1000 points? If it was sounds like the problem was being too cramped.

It was 1250, so yeah. Dude loves tourney-style lists with lots of cheap crap.

I bring one of everything and try spicy things.

But my question about mortal wounds and invulnerable saves is legit. Does anyone with more experience feel like invulns are friggin everywhere?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The best approach to models at WHW is don't ask, don't tell.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suppose, but a "Guardian Spear" is just a bolter welded to a power sword and they just approved the model as a Primaris Captain even though he doesn't have a bolt rifle. There's also no options available to a Watch Master; he only gets one choice.

Ask WHW if you can use a Custodes as a Minotaur captain and settle it once and for all.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

The best approach to models at WHW is don't ask, don't tell.

I doubt I will be making the trip to London anyway, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

Ask WHW if you can use a Custodes as a Minotaur captain and settle it once and for all.

IDGI

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

But my question about mortal wounds and invulnerable saves is legit. Does anyone with more experience feel like invulns are friggin everywhere?

I don't have much experience but invulns do appear to be prevalent. It's one of the reasons the standard Marine is so devalued.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

custodes are just libertarian space marines

love gold, live with their dad, snobby and judgemental about a world they barely understand or have experienced, loath teamwork and exclusively train to fight as individuals

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheBigAristotle posted:

Were you playing with the new rule that subtracts 1 to the Smite roll for each roll after the first? Frankly unless you can't add Psyker defense, you probably should plan for it in an all-comers list. Tyranids can be a bit tricky, since if your defense model(s) are within 12" of a Synapse model they're -1 to their roll to counter and can get around this slightly with a cast of Psychic Scream. That said, there are a number of other armies that can get off multiple casts.

Mortal Wounds can be devastating against elite armies, but that's one of the major risks you take. I feel GW has done a decent job of actually balancing them out for the most part.

I do feel Invulnerable saves are much more prevalent in this edition but from what I've seen it's intentionally to balance the fact that normal armor gets stripped off so easily and models that used to get a 3+ against autocannons, etc. are now at a significant disadvantage without them.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Uhh, a guardian spear is +1s -3AP dD3 in melee and RF1, s4 ap-1 d2. Those are not statlines that match either bolters, power swords, or bolt rifles (I guess it matches a master crafter boltgun). So statlines don't match, and they're both weapons that would be found elsewhere in the book. Their interest is in keeping your opponents from getting confused, and the defining characteristic of a watchmaster is that they have a guardian spear. It's just pushing too far to say "this model with a bolt pistol and power sword is a watch master with a guardian spear, but all these other models with bolt pistols and power swords are wysiwig."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So these arent mine, but I figured I would share for people who run Khorne.

Apparently the Reiver Kit combined with some AOS Khorne bits makes some really nice looking Berzerkers.