Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Amphigory posted:

loving hell as 25th may approaches my inboxes are filled with the saddest, clingy ex gdpr emails from all sorts of companies

"this is our last chance to stay connected"

lol i filtered them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

and miss out on the chance to bitch about it i don't think so

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

syntaxrigger posted:

i am the government employee that looks at the big monitor and sees energy consumption at 88% and throws the big lever to release more energy thinking "yeah lets let it ride" while I try to do my crossword puzzle in the dark.

i think it'd be more like that scene with the lights in national lampoon's christmas vacation

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
im the power company executive happy that revenue is up and will continue to lobby the government to do nothing about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would be really surprised if crypto had enough financial strength to raise funds comparable to the normal consumers of industrial quantities of electricity. the biggest mining ops these days are chinese warehouses flying under the radar and close to super cheap hydro

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the other thing is aint exactly free for power companies to support bitcoin jimmy and his warehouse that suddenly needs its own substation to handle the power load

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

haveblue posted:

I would be really surprised if crypto had enough financial strength to raise funds comparable to the normal consumers of industrial quantities of electricity. the biggest mining ops these days are chinese warehouses flying under the radar and close to super cheap hydro

still hoping they'll do a surprise crackdown... at just the right time to get the frisbee on the roof for as long as possible :getin:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munkeymon posted:

still hoping they'll do a surprise crackdown... at just the right time to get the frisbee on the roof for as long as possible :getin:

who would do that? random farms do go down because the local cheap electricity runs out, but all the big time mining companies got like 1000 warehouses in 500 places to try to game it all

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

fishmech posted:

who would do that? random farms do go down because the local cheap electricity runs out, but all the big time mining companies got like 1000 warehouses in 500 places to try to game it all

the government of :china: that banned bitcoin last year and all the neo-gulags that implies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
india banned it too

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Mods closed it to put the kibosh on a dumb one-note joke

low-effort jokes on my dead, gay comedy forum? its more likely than you think!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

india banned it too

oh neat - managed to miss that

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ethics? out of scope

https://twitter.com/ehsan_hoque/status/997293925806243840

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/18/17367744/elon-musk-boring-company-la-meeting-scene

quote:

...the muscular, T-shirted man was one of many I met who talked about Musk like Russians in 1917 probably did Vladimir Lenin.

“Elon Musk is a revolutionary,” he said. “I’m a Musko! I’ve got the hat. Me and my business partner bought the flamethrower.”

loving weird cult man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
people sure are excited about this boring company

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

other than "because twitter allows nazis" what reason do we have to believe jack dorsey is a nazi? i remember seeing an article or something but I can't find it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because he follows a bunch of alt-right chuds?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

people sure are excited about this boring company

:imunfunny:flamethrower!! epic win!!:imunfunny:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

other than "because twitter allows nazis" what reason do we have to believe jack dorsey is a nazi? i remember seeing an article or something but I can't find it

he follows a buncha nazis and his company is extremely lax about punishing them

don’t say honky tho that’s like the n word for white people

https://twitter.com/bdescribener/status/996832935759278081

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

because he follows a bunch of alt-right chuds?

oh yeah that

i'm in an argument with a friend who doesn't want to set up a linkedin account to apply for a job i'm helping her apply for, and she's all "but linkedin is such a scummy company I don't want to support that" and i'm like "lol but you post poo poo on twitter all the time" and then yeah

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the article

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/17/17365188/drive-ai-driverless-self-driving-car-texas

the headline

quote:

Fully driverless cars are on public roads in Texas

the bullshit

quote:

In a video provided by Drive.ai, the company’s self-driving Nissan NV200 is seen crossing six lanes of traffic, passing cyclists and pedestrians, entering a roundabout, and even navigating through low-angle sunlight that typically obscures an autonomous vehicle’s sensors. A smaller screen showcases the vehicle’s perception system identifying objects such as cars, pedestrians, and cyclists .

the reality

quote:

This is all on public roads in Frisco, and is part of the route for the public July pilot launch. While there’s no one in the driver’s seat in this video, we did have one of our trained safety drivers in the passenger’s seat (acting as a ‘chaperone’ with the ability to manually take over control from that position is necessary). We also had one of our tele-choice operators monitoring the vehicle’s operation, able to step in if the vehicle was not 100% sure of what to do. So even though we filmed with no one in the driver’s seat here, this video was a one-off, and not how we’re operating the vehicles normally. We will be having safety drivers for our operations as the vehicles drive in Frisco to collect data between now and the program launch in July.

so still 5 years off i guess

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"tele-choice operators" is a fantastic job description

"i decide to turn left when a car can't figure it out. that's my entire day. my life is hell please help"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

oh yeah that

i'm in an argument with a friend who doesn't want to set up a linkedin account to apply for a job i'm helping her apply for, and she's all "but linkedin is such a scummy company I don't want to support that" and i'm like "lol but you post poo poo on twitter all the time" and then yeah

linkedin is a lovely company that you should avoid if you don't want everyone you've ever so much as passed in the street being spammed by invitations to join you on linkedin

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

linkedin is a lovely company that you should avoid if you don't want everyone you've ever so much as passed in the street being spammed by invitations to join you on linkedin

it seems like having one is a box HR would check off in their "normal white person, not psychopath" list s'all, i made it clear that you shouldn't actually use linkedin beyond setting up your basic stuff and skills

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i get drive.ai confused with comma.ai, the car autopilot software that runs on your android, made by geohot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i remain convinced that twitter bought & shut down vine because it was popular with black people and @jack is a nazi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don’t say honky tho that’s like the n word for white people

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Krankenstyle posted:

i remain convinced that twitter bought & shut down vine because it was popular with black people and @jack is a nazi

you are right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

amazing elon "elon musk" musk has discovered the secret of... making bricks*

*not your tesla after you try to repair it yourself

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

twitter delenda est

I got probed for saying Elon musk hates poors

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ArmZ posted:

I got probed for saying Grimes's Boyfriend hates poors

or for fucks sake! seriously?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wouldn't want to call racists that to their face, now

:mad:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

wouldn't want to call racists that to their face, now

:mad:

meanie progressives taking away the racists’ safe space.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jony neuemonic posted:

meanie progressives taking away the racists’ safe space.

it really is amazing how the loving chuds need their safe pristine spaces

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmbo twitter owns the libs

and is owned by a Nazi

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

it really is amazing how the loving chuds need their safe pristine spaces

all their triggered! safe space!! bullshit is 100% projection, yeah.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

even navigating through low-angle sunlight that typically obscures an autonomous vehicle’s sensors.

wait is that a thing? surely not

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jony neuemonic posted:

all the triggered! safe space!! bullshit is 100% projection, yeah.

I mean that was the core of Karl roves strategy, right? Accuse the other side of whatever it is you actually do?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

fits my needs posted:

lmbo twitter owns the libs

and is owned by a Nazi

get out of yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jony neuemonic posted:

all their triggered! safe space!! bullshit is 100% projection, yeah.
their every accusation is a confession