Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Platystemon posted:

From that link:

:wtf:

This is backwards. A bouncing object transfers more energy.

It’s Newton’s Third Law. To bounce back, the spiked ball has to put more force on the other guy’s face than if it came to a stop.

No he’s correct. It’s talking about energy transference, not total energy in the system. The rigid system also tries to bounce back but because of its configuration can’t do that as efficiently, which means a higher proportion of the energy generated has to go into the target (or cause the rigid weapon to break).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

From that link:

It’s Newton’s Third Law. To bounce back, the spiked ball has to put more force on the other guy’s face than if it came to a stop.

More force. Less energy.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

From that link:

All the energy bouncing back is energy that was not transferred into what you hit.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Newton's fourth law: When your cat is being a dick, you will double click the post button.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'd like to hear more about Hungarian Black Legion and how its disbanding was one of the changes that hosed the country up. Wikipedia describes it as a "prefessional standing mercenary army", which is... what an actual army is?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Platystemon posted:

From that link:

I m sorry but you have it backwards, softer objects transferring more energy is why those soft baseballs we're killing kids back in the day because they transferred more energy into the kids chest.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am acknowledging I made a mistake so everyone on this page doesn’t have to tell me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvJYVL7Bpk&t=50s

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JcDent posted:

I'd like to hear more about Hungarian Black Legion and how its disbanding was one of the changes that hosed the country up. Wikipedia describes it as a "prefessional standing mercenary army", which is... what an actual army is?

Standing armies i.e. paid professionals, even existent in peacetime were a new and controversial idea in the late mediaeval to early modern era.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is bizarre to me that there are still so many old airfields, navy bases, assembly areas, supply depots and whatnot scattered all over the South Pacific. Like, two huge industrial powers fought this massive total war and then just sort of left, and the land itself was so devoid of value that most of what they built just got sort of...left behind. And there it sits.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

bewbies posted:

It is bizarre to me that there are still so many old airfields, navy bases, assembly areas, supply depots and whatnot scattered all over the South Pacific. Like, two huge industrial powers fought this massive total war and then just sort of left, and the land itself was so devoid of value that most of what they built just got sort of...left behind. And there it sits.

There's an extremely well-researched piece of historical fiction that explores the implications of this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
"Chad Arrow"
(reads again)
"Chad Arrow"
(reads again)
"Chad Arnow"
...oh.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Yeah, but the other armies of the time were "knights and armed peasants."

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cessna posted:

Yeah, but the other armies of the time were "knights and armed peasants."

I thought medieval armies didn't really (deliberately) arm peasants all that often, because

1) They were poo poo at it
2) You needed them to farm
3) The whole point of feudal society is that everyone has a role and the role of the peasant is not to fight but to labor, you are failing your responsibilities as a lord if you make the peasants fight

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tomn posted:

I thought medieval armies didn't really (deliberately) arm peasants all that often, because

3) The whole point of feudal society is that everyone has a role and the role of the peasant is not to fight but to labor, you are failing your responsibilities as a lord if you make the peasants fight

Counterpoint: sometimes you just need more dudes carrying pointy things.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tomn posted:

Sure, but sometimes you just want to throw bodies at the enemy.

"We'll choke their rivers with our dead!"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah it doesn't hurt to have a bunch of dudes who can't actually fight very well stand around and maybe intimidate your enemy into going away due to numbers, and hey if that doesn't work maybe some of those guys will get lucky and kill a few opponents or distract them while your actual fighters do their job.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

"Chad Arrow"
(reads again)
"Chad Arrow"
(reads again)
"Chad Arnow"
...oh.

The Chad Arrow vs the Virgin Musket Ball.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Reading the wikipedia article the Black Army mostly fought against the HRE, the Hussites, and the Ottomans. Were those all that feudal at this time?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

Reading the wikipedia article the Black Army mostly fought against the HRE, the Hussites, and the Ottomans. Were those all that feudal at this time?

The only one of those with a professional standing army would be the Ottomans, I would think.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Minor nitpick - Did they fight the Hussites? I thought they incorporated former Hussites and adopted their wagon-tabor tactics. The Hussite Wars were 1419-1434, the Black Army was 1458-1494.

Embarrassing omission - I only know about this from having built a "Black Army" wargame army many years ago.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Tomn posted:

And armed pheasants are dangerous as poo poo!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cessna posted:

Minor nitpick - Did they fight the Hussites? I thought they incorporated former Hussites and adopted their wagon-tabor tactics. The Hussite Wars were 1419-1434, the Black Army was 1458-1494.

Embarrassing omission - I only know about this from having built a "Black Army" wargame army many years ago.

Maybe wikipedia is referring to the wars against George of Poděbrady?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

Maybe wikipedia is referring to the wars against George of Poděbrady?

Ah, could be!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

"Black Legion of Hungary" has to be one of the more metal names for a real large armed force, right?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I thought your usual peasant had to spend x amount of time each year drilling so they are some actual use when you go off to war. Of course you wouldn't being people with 0 training at all.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I thought they were more like English yeomen. Not rich, but well off enough to spend some time playing with weapons. Landless peasants are only used by the truly desperate.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

golden bubble posted:

Landless peasants are only used by the truly desperate.

Hey, you have to fill the enemy's moat with something before you send in the storming parties.

(What look to the untrained eye to be peasants are in fact a form of self-emplacing fascine...)

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

ChaseSP posted:

I thought your usual peasant had to spend x amount of time each year drilling so they are some actual use when you go off to war. Of course you wouldn't being people with 0 training at all.

No. Your "usual" peasant didn't, though really you need to break it down by time and place given we're talking about (at the least) a 500 year span.

Under the Fyrd system it was one man for every 4 hides of land. Presumably there was one guy for that particular 4 hides that did some training, maybe with his neighbors, because the Fyrd is not completely useless (iirc 1/3 of Harold's men at Hastings we're Fyrd) but they were useless enough that William Rufus summoned them for an expedition and then took the money that the same 4 hide area gave them as pay so he could hire mercenaries instead.

The only other levy system I'm truly familiar with is the "communes of the realm" established at the start of Louis VI's reign, and these seem to be a much more ad-hoc system organized by parish priests. However, the communes dont seem to do much of the fighting. Rather they help dig fortifications, stand watch, and similar secondary tasks while professionals are the ones that actually lead assaults. Additionally, Louis seems to barely use them by 1118-is as his hold on the crown became uncontested.

Such levies were generally only called up in times of national emergency, when dealing with serious rebellion or foreign invasion.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah it doesn't hurt to have a bunch of dudes who can't actually fight very well stand around and maybe intimidate your enemy into going away due to numbers, and hey if that doesn't work maybe some of those guys will get lucky and kill a few opponents or distract them while your actual fighters do their job.

It does actually hurt, because if they suck they will rout at the first charge. If part of your army routs the rest might join in. At the very least you have an exposed flank or the fleeing peasants will crash into your guys and disrupt your formations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It does actually hurt, because if they suck they will rout at the first charge. If part of your army routs the rest might join in. At the very least you have an exposed flank or the fleeing peasants will crash into your guys and disrupt your formations.

They also eat your food while on campaign, and poop everywhere during sieges.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

poop everywhere during sieges.

Used properly, that sounds like a feature.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don Gato posted:

Used properly, that sounds like a feature.

Yeah until you gently caress up the windage on your catapult and get a full shot of community turds splattered across your rampart/parapet/other crenellations

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So, OK, how were the armies that the Black Legion faught raised an armed?

The wiki also mentions that one in four (infantry?)men had guns, but that the strength at the Venetian parade was 20k horesemen and 8k infantry. How does that work in the field? With so many horesemen, it seems that infantry doesn't have that much to do/isn't that important

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bewbies posted:

Aren't a lot of those in some manner of use though? Locals making use of them for storage and the airfields usually in working order for emergency use when they haven't been adapted into regular services.

Even the ones on typically uninhabited islands, local fishermen often end up using them for shelter or storage when needed. And some of them were explicitly kept in usable condition for things like cross-Pacific flights to use for refueling or a safe airstrip.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

JcDent posted:

So, OK, how were the armies that the Black Legion faught raised an armed?

The wiki also mentions that one in four (infantry?)men had guns, but that the strength at the Venetian parade was 20k horesemen and 8k infantry. How does that work in the field? With so many horesemen, it seems that infantry doesn't have that much to do/isn't that important

This is something I have been trying to find out myself but I haven't seen any English sources that describe them in any kind of reliable detail. And, hell, I don't know what the primary sources even are.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 18th May 1918 posted:

The day was given to the men who rested and cleaned up.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
What happened to that Brit POW the war was almost over. :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They got screwed by the government when they got home of course.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

:911:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Going back to the military of the middle age's

The status of guardsmen, sergeant at arms, man at arms, etc.

I am not sure on what they did exactly outside of peace time or where they came from. Is say Bob the Sergeant, employed directly by John the Knight? and how is he paid... and how did he become a soldier. Was Bob just a guy who volunteered to fight instead of say pay taxes? Like oh I am obligated to go stand in this watchtower for xx days a year and if needed go off to fight in John's Retinue. Or alternatively, they were paid to be a soldier year round and that was their primary profession and anything else is secondary? Is being a soldier a hereditary thing like a lot of occupations in this period? LikeBob's dad was a soldier, whose grandad was a soldier etc. going back beyond living memory? Or did they have much more fluid situations like, oh I am moving over to fight for Richard the Knight because he pays better... then finally mercenaries what were they exactly? Were they armed bands of men independent of territory who bounced around from conflict to conflict? Or were they more like "I am the count of XX and I am gonna rent my counties armed men to King XX of France to drive back the English, pay me for my support".

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Going back to the military of the middle age's

The status of guardsmen, sergeant at arms, man at arms, etc.

Your terms here are confused. Sergeant-at-arms was a personal attendant. A man-at-arms was an armored cavalryman. Guardsman doesn't have a specific meaning, and honestly I don't think is a contemporary term. What you're really asking about are sergeants.

quote:

I am not sure on what they did exactly outside of peace time or where they came from. Is say Bob the Sergeant, employed directly by John the Knight?

That depends entirely on context. Largely they would be at the employ of a significant noble or organization, such as the sergeant brothers of the Knights Templar or the sergeants that would serve the Flemish towns.

quote:

and how is he paid...

With money (or in the case of the sergeant brother, not at all)

quote:

and how did he become a soldier.

Basically until the 1290s (?) we don't really know. I remember talking to one of my lecturers seven or so years ago and he said someone had found something with this related to Edward I's army but I don't know any more than that.

quote:

Was Bob just a guy who volunteered to fight instead of say pay taxes?

a tax, through the whole course of the Middle Ages, wasn't a routine annual payment. Rather it was something that was raised for a specific purpose, within a relatively short span of time. So this wouldn't happen, no.

quote:

Like oh I am obligated to go stand in this watchtower for xx days a year and if needed go off to fight in John's Retinue.
Sergeants were professional or semi-professional soldiers, so while they would be expected to perform guard duty what you're describing sounds like obliged feudal service, which they might have to do but was not unique to them.

quote:

Or alternatively, they were paid to be a soldier year round and that was their primary profession and anything else is secondary?

It could be their primary profession, but my impression is that some soldiers had a trade to fall back on when campaign season ended.

quote:

Is being a soldier a hereditary thing like a lot of occupations in this period?
I'm not so sure a lot of occupations were hereditary, at least among the urban classes. Cross polination under the guild system seems relatively common.

quote:

then finally mercenaries what were they exactly? Were they armed bands of men independent of territory who bounced around from conflict to conflict? Or were they more like "I am the count of XX and I am gonna rent my counties armed men to King XX of France to drive back the English, pay me for my support".

Mercenary is a term that changes meaning over the course of the Middle Ages, so a complete answer goes beyond your two scenarios. Here's a post from way back in the first iteration of this thread where I talk about how that meaning shifts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297799&pagenumber=278&perpage=40#post413544253

I can't remember any specific instances of the latter case happening, and I don't think feudal obligation would let you lend your soldiers without being there yourself. At that point they would basically be hired on as a mercenary company, if they weren't working as allies. If the noble in question owed fealty to the King of France, of course, they would be serving their feudal obligation (followed by paid service). What I do know to have happened on many occasions is one noble loaning money to another for the purpose of hiring mercenaries.