Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

algebra testes posted:

I always thought a game where you control a post communist revolutionary country and try and manage the economy, feeding everyone, industrialization and international relations would be fun.

Like a serious tropico.

Has to be the most depressing game ever, you tone down the repression and your regime immediately collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There was an old DOS game like that. You played a latin American country after overthrowing a dictator and had to balance your reforms so as to not piss off one group of people too much. It was pretty hard to not be assassinated or overthrown by the US.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mantis42 posted:

There was an old DOS game like that. You played a latin American country after overthrowing a dictator and had to balance your reforms so as to not piss off one group of people too much. It was pretty hard to not be assassinated or overthrown by the US.

You're thinking of Hidden Agenda.

Funnily enough, the last I heard of it the game was freeware, but you had to send an e-mail to the author explaining why you wanted to play the game, promising to send comments back to the author on your experience after playing it, and promising to donate some money to your choice of NGOs in Central America.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mantis42 posted:

Hidden Agenda. I've gotten through it without becoming a US Satellite or getting overthrown before, by implementing moderate land reform and conscription. I survived two US-backed coup attempts and in the end, the US was embargoing me, but I stayed independent and never got any help from Cuba or the USSR either.

In fact, it's playable in your browser here

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tomn posted:

You're thinking of Hidden Agenda.

Funnily enough, the last I heard of it the game was freeware, but you had to send an e-mail to the author explaining why you wanted to play the game, promising to send comments back to the author on your experience after playing it, and promising to donate some money to your choice of NGOs in Central America.

It's actually playable online for free via Archive.org (and is apparently legitimate)

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Hidden_Agenda_1988

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
You fools. There is no Vicky 3. That died in development.

I for one will be waiting for the announcement of Vicky 4 tomorrow. :allears:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Victori4

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Casualties doesn't mean they're dead...though they did call the other column 'Survivors'.

Are you talking about the real world or a vicky2 mechanic.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

The trick is to use a forum of goons as your political simulator

I've literally done this. It is no surprise it ends in global nuclear holocaust every time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Are you talking about the real world or a vicky2 mechanic.

Yeah, your losses in battle only reduce your manpower by a portion of that amount, further reduced by field hospital technology.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Was really hoping for a GSG that takes place in the Five Boroughs during the 1920s to 1970s in which you compete for area domination and control via street gangs and organized crime. Like other gang games but, uh... with maps.

But I can't figure out how a bard would fit into all that. Welp.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

ExtraNoise posted:

Was really hoping for a GSG that takes place in the Five Boroughs during the 1920s to 1970s in which you compete for area domination and control via street gangs and organized crime. Like other gang games but, uh... with maps.

Now I want an organized crime GSG that is a blend of CK2 and Syndicate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
They're not doing something daft like the War of Roses or something right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ExtraNoise posted:

I would love a game that was part Escape From New York, part The Warriors, and part CHUD.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's going to be Sengoku 2

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Crusader Kings 2: The Peasantries

It's the CK2 you know and love, except you are dirt poor and have no lands.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’d play a paradox political simulator. No war, just managing being a parliamentary party.

Granted, if they could manage to master this and also set it between 1945 - 1995... and maybe also some fun espionage...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

really queer Christmas posted:

I’d play a paradox political simulator. No war, just managing being a parliamentary party.

Granted, if they could manage to master this and also set it between 1945 - 1995... and maybe also some fun espionage...

General Secretary, we have been contacted by an agent of the National Rival. They are offering to make sure we win the next election, in exchange for undisclosed "favours" in the future. What do we do?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Radio Free Kobold posted:

General Secretary, we have been contacted by an agent of the National Rival. They are offering to make sure we win the next election, in exchange for undisclosed "favours" in the future. What do we do?

“This seems like it could backfire on us, let’s not take this favour”
>”Tremendous! I know a good deal when I see it, I’m the best at making deals. It’s gonna be a great deal believe me!”

feller
Jul 5, 2006

> Give him a good tumble

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The USA gets The Summer of Love. -2 Stability.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Man, you could do an entire GSG just about 1968

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

lol I forgot about the anarcho-lib menace

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Almost 1855 and you still have no industry? :sad:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Slave owning zero government dictatorship, the dream :ancap:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Almost 1855 and you still have no industry? :sad:

One of my pet peeves with Victoria 2 is industrialization isn't worth state expense. Research mechanical production and you'll never hurt for money again, just put an Interventionist party in power and.. that's that.

Obviously to have fun you industrialize, but the fact it's not worth it Sucks.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Industry is vital to the second most important goal of any Paradox game (first goal being making pretty borders): making the numbers bigger.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Industry is vital to the second most important goal of any Paradox game (first goal being making pretty borders): making the numbers bigger.

Vicky even does a good job of incentivizing it by making your share of global production have it's own chart/page in the production tab. You can watch graphs go up as you monopolize production of something. And then you can laugh in MP as you are producing 60% of the world's tanks but it still isn't enough for your war machine.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Paradox typically doesn't announced in-studio stuff until its close to release, right?

I, too, hope its Victoria 3, thought I've never played Vic2, despite owning it from a PDX Bundle (none of the DLC though).

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Is there a Comet Sighted event in any of the HoI games?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

idiotmeat posted:

It's in HOI4 at least - it's "Komet Sighted," IIRC it requires the player to be Germany and develop jet engines/jet fighter maybe.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

idiotmeat posted:

HoI 3 has one if Germany deploys a rocket interceptor over a country

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Paradox typically doesn't announced in-studio stuff until its close to release, right?

I, too, hope its Victoria 3, thought I've never played Vic2, despite owning it from a PDX Bundle (none of the DLC though).

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/if-it-really-isnt-victoria-iii.1098798/#post-24250793

quote:

I said publicly when we started sellling tickets that "THIS IS NOT VICTORIA 3!"

Did you want angels tattoing it on your retina as well?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

they're insisting it's not victoria 3 that means its victoria 3

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So its Bismarck then.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Johan doth protest too much methinks

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Hmm, you know, ever since "THIS IS NOT VICTORIA 3" was tattooed on my retinas, I've been seeing Victoria 3 everywhere I look. I wonder what it means.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

The Johan doth protest too much methinks

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Paradox Grand Strategy: The Johan Doth Protest Too Much Methinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As if the hint that "Norway isn't there" wasn't enough for people? I mean, seriously, that's a pretty obvious hint that it's not a game that takes place in the Victoria era since Norway existed during that time. :rolleyes:

Still, a game with a pop system (that's not the system that was cooked up for Stellaris) in any kind of setting would be really cool. I want pops. :(