Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Kelly Thompson made me like Rogue and Gambit, two characters I never really cared for, on an engaging and sweet level. So I'll assume that she will figure out a way to make Quentin not as grating as he tries to be.

And I also think that she'll manage to utilize Gwen well. After all, she was quite creative when it came to Nico's silly powers.

Basically, Thompson rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel 2017 LGY#600

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If y'all haven't read Kelly's Jem comics over at IDW, do that.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I haven't read an X-book in like 20 years but when did they change Rogue's costume to that boring white and green number from the one that she had in the cartoon?

Gambit gets to keep his trenchcoat and headband but Rogue can't have her tiny jacket? Fie!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

rantmo posted:

he's a hero

He's not, on any level, is the thing. Like being on a team of people with super powers doesn't make you a hero, it just makes you someone on a team. He's not even a good person. Like there's literally nothing redeeming about him. He's not even particularly competent.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Nilbop posted:

I haven't read an X-book in like 20 years but when did they change Rogue's costume to that boring white and green number from the one that she had in the cartoon?

Gambit gets to keep his trenchcoat and headband but Rogue can't have her tiny jacket? Fie!

Ha, Rogue's green and white hooded costume was actually first seen 20 years ago when Bachalo took over penciling duties on Uncanny X-Men in 1997. At that point it replaced her Shi'Ar pink costume that got used for around a year or so.

I don't hate Rogue's green and white costume with the hood for drama, but I wouldn't mind a quality change. She's had some great looks over the years, as well as some real clunkers, but nothing is ever gonna top the 90s costume in terms of recognition even though her current look has been her longest by far.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Nilbop posted:

OK, but only if we go back to the 90s and give everybody else their leather jackets.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hercules with no beard and Black Knight with a lightsaber is the worst of all timelines.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you don't know who Black Knight is you might think he was a kind of a good-guy Taskmaster whose costume is a collection of pieces from other characters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Speak posted:

OK, but only if we go back to the 90s and give everybody else their leather jackets.

The Avengers have a long history of being a lovely book, but jacket era is a pretty low point for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Marvel gave away replicas of those jackets in like 1993 or something. Unless the guy was full of poo poo but there was a dude selling one at Chicago a few years ago.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I genuinely love the bomber jacket look for basically everyone, even Cap. I didn't particularly read any of those books at the time, but that aesthetic always works for me because I am such a loving product of the 90's.

Clean-shaven Herc is pure madness though.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm the cape emerging directly from the navel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Can anyone find a decent image of the Black Panther #1 homage in South Park: Fractured But Whole? Brian Stelfreeze is at the table across from me and wants to see it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Black Knight is the only character the jacket works for imo

Re: Quentin Quire

Are there the same discussions had when Captain America put those two mutant TERRORISTS in his kooky quartet?

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Gaz-L posted:

Hercules with no beard and Black Knight with a lightsaber is the worst of all timelines.

Wait, that's the Black Knight? He looks like a one-off Judge Dredd parody.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Speak posted:

Where’s Uatu’s jacket? He leave it in the wash?

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Can anyone find a decent image of the Black Panther #1 homage in South Park: Fractured But Whole? Brian Stelfreeze is at the table across from me and wants to see it.

Here you go. (You're probably going to have to zoom in though)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Speak posted:

Avengers got pretty dire at some point huh that poo poo looks awful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Avengers got pretty dire at some point huh that poo poo looks awful

That's drawn by Steve Epting before he got good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
God, Hercules looks like a bad 80s movie actor trying to play Conan the Barbarian. Why would you ever shave his beard?

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Glad I finally understand the thread title thanks to Marvel Unlimited finally catching up. I assume it was a one-off, but I’d read an entire Shang-Chi mini with that fun silly tone.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Bomber-jacket Sersi was the only one who came out of that looking good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Comixace/status/997581164205428736?s=19

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Spider-Gwen and Silk clench their bumholes.

Basically, I'm wondering if this means there's going to be a culling of some of Spider-Man's other spider related Heroes. Miles Morales is going to be fine. I don't even have say that Peter is going to be fine. But Spider-Gwen and and Silk could be on the chopping block.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time for Kaine to die again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Covok posted:

Basically, I'm wondering if this means there's going to be a culling of some of Spider-Man's other spider related Heroes. Miles Morales is going to be fine. I don't even have say that Peter is going to be fine. But Spider-Gwen and and Silk could be on the chopping block.

ben reilly will move over to asm because it turns out he was the real peter for really real this time

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Back to the basics mother fucker

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

ben reilly will move over to asm because it turns out he was the real peter for really real this time

Tom DeFalco hasn't been for Marvel for a very long time so I don't think that's going to happen. At least I don't think he's written for Marvel in a while.

That said, considering how shity his solo is, I can totally see Ben Reilly getting killed again.

Is there any proof this back-to-the-basics approach that they pushed with some titles is working at all?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Covok posted:

Gwen's going to a part of that Marvel Rising thing so I doubt they'll have her die in the comics while she's appearing on the Disney channel.

Covok
May 27, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Gwen's going to a part of that Marvel Rising thing so I doubt they'll have her die in the comics while she's appearing on the Disney channel.

They've been flirting with taking away the Spider-Man name from Miles and he has a movie coming out, spider-verse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Who says Peter's fine? You never know, Marvel does love to sync their comics to their movies...:v: (I don't know if we're still doing IW spoiler tags but I'm playing it safe)

Anyway, wasn't killing Spider-folk literally what Spider-Verse was about? Why would they do that again so soon?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Covok posted:

s there any proof this back-to-the-basics approach that they pushed with some titles is working at all?
Which books are you pointing to as Back to Basics? The first issue of Avengers had a lot of pre-orders because it was a first issue of a high profile Avengers book. I'm not certain any of the other ones have actually come out yet.

In terms of the sales charts for April, Marvel's top 10 books were:

1) Amazing Spider-Man
2) Amazing Spider-Man
3) Hunt for Wolverine
4) Venomized (first issue)
5) Domino (first issue)
6) Captain America
7) Infinity Countdown
8) Avengers
9) Star Wars
10) Avengers

I guess bringing back Wolverine counts as "back to basics" but I'm not sure if any of the others really do. Full disclosure I have zero idea what Venomized is.

For contrast, DC's top 10 books in April were:
1) Batman
2) Batman
3) Batman: White Knight
4) Detective Comics
5) Detective Comics
6) Immortal Men
7) Flash
8) Flash
9) Justice League
10) Justice League

So it's hard to argue that fans aren't craving Their Long Time Favorites across the board, or at least "things they've seen on film or TV"

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 18, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh, I see how it is Marvel. You come out with a story called Spidergeddon after you laughed at my pitch for "Arach-narok".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lobok posted:

Oh, I see how it is Marvel. You come out with a story called Spidergeddon after you laughed at my pitch for "Arach-narok".

"Arach-narok"

Give this man an Eisner.

Now!

Edge & Christian posted:

Which books are you pointing to as Back to Basics? The first issue of Avengers had a lot of pre-ordered because it was a first issue of a high profile Avengers book. I'm not certain any of the other ones have actually come out yet.

Wasn't Marvel Legacy all about that? I don't know how much they actually did though. I remember a lot of people saying Marvel Legacy didn't actually do much at all and was a lot of Pomp and Circumstance. I was still reading at the time but I was going through some personal stuff at the time so I don't remember things too well.

I actually remember I was told in the comic book store and got a phone call that told me the person passed away when I was buying Marvel Legacy number one. That was a pretty rude awakening. They were getting better and I thought we were going to be able to put all this behind us but sometimes life doesn't work out that way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

:golfclap:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Marvel Legacy was an excuse to get a bunch of books to conveniently be at or near a legacy number so they could charge a stupid price for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Gotta save that for a Spidey/Thor crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's gonna be like Armor Wars and Peter is gonna go around ripping the spiers off their costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Greekonomics posted:

Here you go. (You're probably going to have to zoom in though)

Thanks! He laughed. Really nice guy.

• Locked thread