Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

I was always against adding Islam and Judaism in because I wanted everything to be derived from a major thing in the area and I didn't want to go all Lux Invicta with the religious map. The way the Fan Fork's added Judaism is all right enough, but it also highlights how tricky it is to balance having a small and scattered group that isn't either immediately overwhelmed or excessively overbuffed to compensate for all that.

I wanted to add Moroccans and Nigerians as off-map sources of Islamic enlightenment :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ofaloaf posted:

I was always against adding Islam and Judaism in because I wanted everything to be derived from a major thing in the area and I didn't want to go all Lux Invicta with the religious map. The way the Fan Fork's added Judaism is all right enough, but it also highlights how tricky it is to balance having a small and scattered group that isn't either immediately overwhelmed or excessively overbuffed to compensate for all that.

I am getting worried that the fan fork mod developers are going down the wrong path with their latest "Dev diary", talking about putting in ancient religions now into the mod. I hope Ofaloaf and the original team will just eventually update the original mod if the fan fork gets too stupid and keeps adding features like they said they wouldn't.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A crusade overhaul is long overdue. That it's a part of the free features is pretty cool. Hints of piety becoming much more important are encouraging. Perhaps they will tinker with excommunication? That's another core feature that needs an update.

All of this makes me really curious about the paid content.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The expansion named not-Deus-Vult can't not be the final one. They're gonna be so embarrassed if they sell enough that the bosses ask for more.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My problem with this game is that I only get through like one or two generations of ruler before burning out. I kinda want to play without any DLC so I don't get distracted by secret societies and illnesses etc. and can play faster. Is the base game without any DLC gonna feel unplayable? Or is there a good combination of DLC which improves the game without adding too much extra distracting stuff?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I really wish my first game hadn't been as a viking. Everything else feels glacially slow compared to raiding and barbarian conquest. I've built the Empire of Scandinavia into a powerhouse like five times, but every time I try something else it's just boring.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

physeter posted:

I really wish my first game hadn't been as a viking. Everything else feels glacially slow compared to raiding and barbarian conquest. I've built the Empire of Scandinavia into a powerhouse like five times, but every time I try something else it's just boring.

Try being an Iberian Muslim!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

physeter posted:

Play a horse nomad. Ride the sea of grass, thunder and plunder your way through civilization. It's just as action-packed as going a-viking, if not more so. The only downside is that if you get serious about the "burning down civilization" thing, eventually the micro of revoking titles will drive you to suicide, but until then you can have a grand old time.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the people who bought the most expensive paradoxcon package get a chance today in a workshop to make a character for ck2 that will be put in the game in a future patch.

Theres even baby clothes with 'designated heir' written on it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Pharohman777 posted:

So the people who bought the most expensive paradoxcon package get a chance today in a workshop to make a character for ck2 that will be put in the game in a future patch.

Why can't you make me brave, strong, genius, attractive! That's obviously what I am!

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Tomn posted:

Play a horse nomad. Ride the sea of grass, thunder and plunder your way through civilization. It's just as action-packed as going a-viking, if not more so. The only downside is that if you get serious about the "burning down civilization" thing, eventually the micro of revoking titles will drive you to suicide, but until then you can have a grand old time.

Horse Nomads are great and probably the most fun characters to play in this game for me. Going full Khan and trying to come out on top of the Central Asian Thunderdome is really fun, and once micromanaging revocations gets boring you can just point yourself at a random title in Western or Eastern Europe you want, do a Nomad Invasion for a Kingdom, and settle there as a feudal to basically play as as a dynasty of Conan the Barbarian conquerers who are kings by their own hand.

It's really fun to campaign around the Steppes and take Tibetan and Central Asian feudal titles to burn down until you've got a big enough Horde to conquer Greece from the Byzantines to settle in.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MinistryofLard posted:

Horse Nomads are great and probably the most fun characters to play in this game for me. Going full Khan and trying to come out on top of the Central Asian Thunderdome is really fun, and once micromanaging revocations gets boring you can just point yourself at a random title in Western or Eastern Europe you want, do a Nomad Invasion for a Kingdom, and settle there as a feudal to basically play as as a dynasty of Conan the Barbarian conquerers who are kings by their own hand.

It's really fun to campaign around the Steppes and take Tibetan and Central Asian feudal titles to burn down until you've got a big enough Horde to conquer Greece from the Byzantines to settle in.

Realheads use the subjugation CB on the Byzantines

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

60% off the complete collection (now $29.68) for the weekend: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3096/Crusader_Kings_II_Collection/

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Pharohman777 posted:

Do they have a bullseye on the back?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
just started a new AtE FF run of mahonic of boston and i... can't declare subjugation wars? is this part of the base game? can vassals not subjugate their neighbors now or something?

fwiw this character uses pagan mechanics

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Which is the best dlc to get along with the base game? I can only really afford one or two. It might of course be better to not get any dlc at all and wait until a few dozen hours of playing.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Poil posted:

Which is the best dlc to get along with the base game? I can only really afford one or two. It might of course be better to not get any dlc at all and wait until a few dozen hours of playing.

If you view my posts in this thread, I posted the list of DLC. I can't pull it up since I'm on mobile.

The short answer is Conclave & Way of Life adds stuff for everyone and expands the game for every leader. Reapers Due is great for the expanded disease system, and Old Gods gives you a good start date and the ability to play as Vikings or other Pagans.

Edit: the game goes on sale all the time, so you don't need to get everything now.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 18, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Speaking of other pagans, is it possible to make Slavic rulers fun? I've tried a few times, but with the lovely location, low tech/troops and angry neighbors I either get stomped or give up out of boredom after a generation or two. I've seen them take over large chunks of the map when controlled by the ai, so I'm thinking it's technically possible to make them interesting, but I haven't found it yet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I am hella PEEVED posted:

If you view my posts in this thread, I posted the list of DLC. I can't pull it up since I'm on mobile.

The short answer is Conclave & Way of Life adds stuff for everyone and expands the game for every leader. Reapers Due is great for the expanded disease system, and Old Gods gives you a good start date and the ability to play as Vikings or other Pagans.

Edit: the game goes on sale all the time, so you don't need to get everything now.
Thanks. :)

I think I'll settle for Way of Life. It seems to add stuff for everyone without getting things too complicated in the beginning.

edit
Er... it appears that I already bought it at some point. I just forgot about it and never played or even started it up. "Game purchased 2017-06-25". This is pretty embarrassing. :blush: :downs:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Poil posted:

I think I'll settle for Way of Life. It seems to add stuff for everyone without getting things too complicated in the beginning.

conclave is also essential and it's not that complicated. it's better to get used to the new, good council mechanics rather than the old, boring ones

basically conclave just makes it so that instead of picking the guy with the best stats, you have multiple reasons to pick someone for your council

-are they a major vassal who would be pissed if they weren't on the council
-will this person vote for whatever i want which is good because i want to change the laws a lot
-does this person have great stats that i would like to have in my government
-do i want to murder this person slowly by having them imprisoned by a foreign ruler or beaten to death by a mob of peasants

it also overhauls education of children and adds some smaller stuff like the favor system and forming your own mercenary band

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, I didn't know it improved existing stuff instead of adding more.

boner confessor posted:

-do i want to murder this person slowly by having them imprisoned by a foreign ruler or beaten to death by a mob of peasants
Sold!

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 18, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the trick here is if you have some guy who is hard to murder via other means but he has a crap stat like a 1 in stewardship or intrigue, make him your councilor and assign him to collect taxes or spy in foreign lands. there's a decent chance every year he'll get got. i think it can get as high as like 20% chance every year your lovely tax collector will be set upon by angry peasants. assign horrible diplomats to sow dissent in neighboring lands so they gently caress up immediately and get imprisoned, etc.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Since it comes up a lot when people are talking about what DLCs to get, you may notice Conclave has a low rating on Steam. This isn't because Conclave is bad, it's actually really good, it's just that the free patch that came out alongside it featured some changes that were initially very unpopular, and the fans took it out on Conclave's Steam rating, despite the fact that the changes were part of the base game. It's been years since then though and the biggest complaints have been addressed in subsequent patches.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 18, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I've played enough Paradox games to ignore the reviews. They're just full of whining manchildren.

boner confessor posted:

the trick here is if you have some guy who is hard to murder via other means but he has a crap stat like a 1 in stewardship or intrigue, make him your councilor and assign him to collect taxes or spy in foreign lands. there's a decent chance every year he'll get got. i think it can get as high as like 20% chance every year your lovely tax collector will be set upon by angry peasants. assign horrible diplomats to sow dissent in neighboring lands so they gently caress up immediately and get imprisoned, etc.
:allears:

Kinda like making your terrible EU4 ruler into a general and sending him off to lead a siege somewhere unimportant?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Poil posted:

:allears:

Kinda like making your terrible EU4 ruler into a general and sending him off to lead a siege somewhere unimportant?

Exactly. You can also make them your chaplain and send them to pagans, but the restrictions on being a chaplain are higher.

Also sending them to the Byzantine Empire is usually a good choice, since there is a very good chance they'll come back with no balls.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

Since it comes up a lot when people are talking about what DLCs to get, you may notice Conclave has a low rating on Steam. This isn't because Conclave is bad, it's actually really good, it's just that the free patch that came out alongside it featured some changes that were initially very unpopular, and the fans took it out on Conclave's Steam rating, despite the fact that the changes were part of the base game. It's been years since then though and the biggest complaints have been addressed in subsequent patches.

The other side of that is some people got very unhappy that the council now has actual teeth and powerful vassals not on it can get extra unruly. It's actually harder in some ways to deal with your council now and you have to consider more than who has the biggest appropriate number.

It's a drat fine DLC though. Your realm really should get harder to keep together the bigger it gets.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
This is on sale on steam again so if you're one of the few people who haven't bought it yet just get it. It's probably the most enjoyable slow paced game ever. I was gonna say strategy game but I don't even know if i'd call it that. Insane historical simulator is more like it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

This is on sale on steam again so if you're one of the few people who haven't bought it yet just get it. It's probably the most enjoyable slow paced game ever. I was gonna say strategy game but I don't even know if i'd call it that. Insane historical simulator is more like it.

"Feudalism simulator" is probably the best description of it. It isn't a game you play to conquer everything or "win." It's a game you play to participate in crazy Medieval antics like kidnapping your 3 year old brother and sacrificing him to Satan so you can inherit his kingdom.

If you ever wondered if you had the potential to be a hideous monster the answer is "yes" and this game will prove that.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

New expansion announcment. Guess its time to stop playing Vikings till it drops, so I can then play only the Vikings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEFoubsSzG8

Blurb from the paradox page that I dont see on the steam page
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusad...0180517_pla_ann

quote:

Baptism or War!
In Holy Fury, Pagan rulers who reform their religion instead of converting will have a chance to design that new Reformed Paganism. A religion of peace or one of war? Will you be guided by the stars or bow to the whims of bloodthirsty gods? Who will lead this new church? Build a new creed on the ashes of the old ways.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/756660/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Holy_Fury/

quote:

ABOUT THIS CONTENT
Christ may rule in Rome and Constantinople, but Northern Europe is still home to the old gods of war and the hearth. These faiths will collide in fierce combat as the Prince of Peace brings conversion by the sword, and Gods of Nature demand unnatural sacrifices as the price of their favor.

Holy Fury is the newest expansion to Crusader Kings II, the celebrated medieval role-playing grand strategy experience from the masters of strategy, Paradox Development Studio. Lean on your war lodge for support in your conquests, bow before the Pope to claim your divine throne or establish a legendary bloodline that will echo through the ages.

Features in Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury include:
Shattered and Random Worlds:
Start your game on a fictional map of Europe as a small realm fighting for space, or on a random map with historical analogues for the great kingdoms of yore.
Warrior Lodges:
Join a Pagan warrior lodge and raid your way up the ranks, unlocking access to powerful allies and greater military skill.
Legendary Bloodlines:
Descendants of great warrior heroes will have bonuses that match the accomplishments of their forefathers, including historical bloodlines of Charlemagne, Genghis Khan and others..
Sway or Antagonize Your Neighbors:
Try to win a reluctant vassal through charm and persuasion, or provoke someone you want to push into conflict.
Sainthood:
Pious Catholics can become canonized, passing on their glory to their descendants and making their resting place a site of great value.
Coronations:
Feudal kings and emperors must find clergy to crown them, since all power descends from the heavens.
New Crusade Events:
Deeper gameplay for the religious wars of the era.
New Succession Laws:
A Pagan Elder Council may have the final word in how a realm is divided among heirs, or a ruler may challenge his brother to combat to unify a realm.
And much more:
Changes to religion, custom names for people or objects, deeper baptismal mechanics, lists of people you’ve killed, and other small changes for flavor and variety.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 19, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
This expansion seems quite interesting.

quote:

lists of people you’ve killed
CK2 trophy room :shepspends:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
So if I was playing as a recently converted Norwegian king and died at Stiklestad and eventually canonized, would that become the spot of great virtue, or Nidaros?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Let penises rise to full glory across the land, and ladies quoints moisten, for the Crusader Kings board game will soon be among us.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Can’t wait to get my emperor of Hispaniola and Britannia to get crowned by a bumpkin country priest who can’t read and messes up the whole ceremony because I’ve pissed off the pope and all of my bishops

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zikan posted:

Can’t wait to get my emperor of Hispaniola and Britannia to get crowned by a bumpkin country priest who can’t read and messes up the whole ceremony because I’ve pissed off the pope and all of my bishops

MAWWAGE, IS WHAT BWINGS US TOGETHAH.... today.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I can't wait to die accidentally due to misreading the bible

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I can't wait to die accidentally due to misreading the bible

Liberate me ex inferis.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am very excited for random worlds, I've been missing the TTG for ages. This is going to be awesome.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The last DLC I bought was Charlemagne. What are the best things to get while they're on sale to get me going with CK2 again? (I mainly wanna worship satan lets be honest here)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

The last DLC I bought was Charlemagne. What are the best things to get while they're on sale to get me going with CK2 again? (I mainly wanna worship satan lets be honest here)

Monks and Mystics is the Satan-worshipping one, if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I like Jade Dragon a lot, but it's probably not essential.

• Locked thread