Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

site posted:

Smoothbrained genius likes to sound smart with phrases he doesn't understand

How does this guy "know" an employee obstructed the harasser's escape?

(He knows the harasser, or is the harasser)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Green Intern posted:

How does this guy "know" an employee obstructed the harasser's escape?

(He knows the harasser, or is the harasser)

Every one of these guys are reporting back to someone. This is all organized and planned. They won't pull any poo poo in stores with cameras so they can keep claiming that their version of events is how it happened.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Endless Mike posted:

Stan Lee is suing POW Entertainment for a cool billion

The stuff that's been happening to him lately is loving horrible. You can say what you want about Lee; maybe he's a genius, maybe he's a plagarist; but nobody deserves to spend their last days blind and alone surrounded by people blatantly stealing everything in sight.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I noticed that store is in Edmonton, and suddenly wasn't surprised... Edmonton has a huge MRA/CHUD community.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/KingImpulse/status/997172388189167616?s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think anyone thought that tbh

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The most concerning thing is the thought of a shared Antarctic Press universe.

The new Aspen Comics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's actually been very well established that Antarctic press will literally loving print anything and the only reason they stopped printing Jawbreakers was because he was going after store owners and their employees.

Like, if he never threatened their ability to continue selling to certain stores, they would have printed the book.

That said, I don't think Antarctic press is openly malicious, they're just that classic Cutthroat business men kind of person who doesn't care as long as he makes money mixed with some of that libertarian free speech ideology. In other words, a bunch of loving greedy idiots. But they're also bit players who are going to have trouble in the industry because none of their books sell more than 3,000 units.

Like, I'm not even trying to be mean. But you got to loving have quality control. There are other companies that will print in the comics from random writers and artists to pitch things to them, but they have quality control.

Think Image Comics. They will print your comic if you have a good pitch, but they won't touch you if you have a bad one. As a result, there well respected and have a strong presence in the Indie scene. Sure not all their series are good. I thought void trip was pretty terrible, to give a recent example. But by actually putting some quality control in, they can actually get people on board to buy new series and maintain decent sales.

Antarctic press intentionally follows trends and tries it's best to be the weird novelty. I guess when you operate on the assumption of those margins you can survive, but it just makes you wonder why you want to exist in that space in that capacity because you can't be making a lot of money doing that and it's not sustainable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Capitalism is malicious by default

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well it’s not like Dixon is being shunned or anything by the industry. I mean he literally just did a 12 issue Bane series for DC. Not like anyone actually read it or anything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dixon's got conservative views but is actually capable of acting professionally isn't he? Or did I miss something?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dixon's got conservative views but is actually capable of acting professionally isn't he? Or did I miss something?

Seconding this. I've never heard a bad word about him beyond just general criticism of his politics.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I mean, he's professionally contributing writing for Vox Day, prominent GGer and ringleader of the effort to hijack the Hugo Awards, and his conservative crowdsourced/scammed comics project. As well as adapting an Clinton conspiracy book for graphic novelization.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
We've lowered the bar enough for him to look halfway decent I guess.

edit: hahahahahaha never mind. :stare:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One nice thing about work for hire is I could probably buy Chuck Dixon's entire DC works without giving him a penny.

Though if I did that I'd be willing to pay for signatures at a con on some of the Robin stuff at least.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Antarctic Press's "stand" was that they were dropping a creator who was harassing their customers, not that his politics were unacceptable to them. Seems totally consistent to me.

Like, going after the people who need to purchase stock of your book for it to survive, and encouraging your fans to harass them for not doing so, betrays a total lack of business sense and makes you a completely toxic prospect to even the most two-bit of serious publishers.

It's the equivalent of a car sales rep going after customers who won't buy a car like, "hey! You dumb rear end in a top hat! I'll come to your house, I'll get you fired! Buy a loving car from me!". These people are used to a fawning internet fanbase that agrees with whatever ludicrous stance they come up with. They have no concept of consequences for harassment in an actual grown-up business context, because it doesn't matter on social media and that's where they live.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 18, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dixon is a professional man with bad politics. He had a habit of attending cons while a little drunk 20 years ago but I think he's sober now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/997378863171756033?s=19

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

While I know he's being 100% earnest, a part of my brain refuses to accept that someone can have a brain this broken. Like, my brain is actively rejecting the reality that he really believes this.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I want Marvel to keep Captain America as far away from this dude as possible. Mostly because of his terrible attitude and politics but also because he's the worst artist that's been on Marvel's payroll in years and I don't want to see what his version of Captain America looks like.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looks like it's gone. You guys need to screenshot bad tweets.

Also wow, I knew Dixon was a bad writer with awful ideas, but I didn't realize how deep that went

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That tweet... is a screenshot?? And it's still there?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

Looks like it's gone. You guys need to screenshot bad tweets.

Also wow, I knew Dixon was a bad writer with awful ideas, but I didn't realize how deep that went

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

That tweet... is a screenshot?? And it's still there?

Oh, then I blame awful app

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just want to clarify, I am not defending Dixon's beliefs. All I was saying is that he is a professional and knows how to conduct himself in public.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You cannot call a company unprincipled for doing its goddamn job of publishing people even if you don't like that person.
There's a right wing trend of calling political criticism a call for censorship, which it is not when it's made by a smart person and should not be in general. But it gets a lot harder to explain that it isn't if people are outright calling for conservatives who haven't directly expressed hate and who have not doxxed and harassed others to not be run out of the industry, even if they've never written a goddamn good comic.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Looks like D&C filed a complaint with the FTC over this stuff: https://mobile.twitter.com/DiversityAndCmx/status/996052716622438402

IANAL, what happens next?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ.

This guy was either bullied too much as a kid or not nearly enough.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I would love to hear that phonecall.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

davidspackage posted:

I would love to hear that phonecall.

Probably a whole lot of mouth-breathing going on there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HIJK posted:

Looks like D&C filed a complaint with the FTC over this stuff: https://mobile.twitter.com/DiversityAndCmx/status/996052716622438402

IANAL, what happens next?

Absolutely nothing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guess we know what he's doing with the money then.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
"Hello, FTC? I want to report that someone said my comic sucks."
"Yes, I already called 911 on them, they suggested I talk to you instead."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not that they would, since it would just makes things worse and feed into the victim complex of those assholes, but could Waid or Marvel sue over D&C filling a fake claim with the FTC?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Waid needs to get back on social media and laugh at this clown.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Not that they would, since it would just makes things worse and feed into the victim complex of those assholes, but could Waid or Marvel sue over D&C filling a fake claim with the FTC?

My completely unfounded guess would be not unless the FTC actually moves forward on the claim and fines waid

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
What's really fascinating about all of this is the rabid speculation people are parroting as facts. There are so many users convinced that Disney and Marvel are going to pay D&C a settlement and that Mark Waid is blacklisted/fired and that Cebulski ordered Waid to erase his social media and so on and on and on and on. But there's 0 to support any of it, we have one 4channer Whose Uncle Totally Works At Nintendo and maybe some other internet comments I haven't read, but there are so many people who hate Waid and Marvel that they take it as gospel.

We won't know anything unless it actually goes to court and they make their discovery findings public but my god the number people who can't stop letting their imaginations run away on this is incredible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I agree. I'm on the r/comic books Discord and we had people jump in yesterday who honestly believed all that nonsense. The other users and the mods had to laugh them down because it's total BS. As one of the mods pointed out, Mark Waid periodically shuts off his social media whenever he has a lot of people bug him. He knew the D&C crew would go after him so he shut it down again.

I'm really kind of hope that D&C pursue this further and waste all his money on this only to lose because nothing happened. Kind of like when Jim Sterling got sued by that Digital Homicide.

If you don't know his story, I'll link it but basically a shity Game Dev tried to sue a Critic over defamation and ended up losing hard.

https://youtu.be/qS-LXvhy1Do

It would be hilarious if that happened to D&C and that it ends up with him not even be able to finish the one comic book and having to make another Indiegogo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Covok posted:

I agree. I'm on the r/comic books Discord and we had people jump in yesterday who honestly believed all that nonsense. The other users and the mods had to laugh them down because it's total BS. As one of the mods pointed out, Mark Waid periodically shuts off his social media whenever he has a lot of people bug him. He knew the D&C crew would go after him so he shut it down again.

I'm really kind of hope that D&C pursue this further and waste all his money on this only to lose because nothing happened. Kind of like when Jim Sterling got sued by that Digital Homicide.

If you don't know his story, I'll link it but basically a shity Game Dev tried to sue a Critic over defamation and ended up losing hard.

https://youtu.be/qS-LXvhy1Do

It would be hilarious if that happened to D&C and that it ends up with him not even be able to finish the one comic book and having to make another Indiegogo.

In a just world this is the kind of entertainment we'll get, the universe owes me a mulligan

• Locked thread