Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

D2's main story beats as told through cinematics are well-liked. The other stuff is take it or leave it and told through insufferably long and un-engaging monologues, but the game also had a sense of accomplishment because it mattered what zone you were in, and it wasn't just infinite levels of completely random nonsense that had no bearing on anything. Hell was Hell, not just a meaningless tileset sandwiched between two other meaningless tilesets. That didn't prevent anyone from just doing Baal runs until they were blue in the face, but I suggest there is some middle ground between "run the three valuable areas" and "meaningless hodge podge."

Diablo III's launch was a loving disaster and the game is still paying for that years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm currently chipping away at D2 for more or less the first time and the one thing I will give it credit for is that it still carries a lot of D1's evocative mood. Maybe it's because my build sucks or something but opening a door and bumbling into the shadows is genuinely tense because so far most fights have been kinda tricky. Game loves its backline fodder-reviving mages.

On the other hand, Act 2 had two fights that are just pure bullshit. The pathfinding is also very picky so you get stuck on things super easily. And the companion AI is a nightmare.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 17, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm currently chipping away at D2 for more or less the first time and the one thing I will give it credit for is that it still carries a lot of D1's evocative mood. Maybe it's because my build sucks or something but opening a door and bumbling into the shadows is genuinely tense because so far most fights have been kinda trickly. Game loves its backline fodder-reviving mages.

Yeah that's the other thing, D2 is a masterpiece of enemies that are just annoying enough to require some tactical thought without being so annoying you'd rather not fight them at all. Gloams, Fallen Shaman, those fire-breathing pygmy dudes, Hell Knights with their curses (at least once the Iron Maiden curse was nerfed lol), etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
D2's Horadric cube and rune system sound bonkers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah that's the other thing, D2 is a masterpiece of enemies that are just annoying enough to require some tactical thought without being so annoying you'd rather not fight them at all. Gloams, Fallen Shaman, those fire-breathing pygmy dudes, Hell Knights with their curses (at least once the Iron Maiden curse was nerfed lol), etc.

Meanwhile D3 is the art of killing monsters before you even realize they are on the screen

Vakal
May 11, 2008
95% of the cube recipes are worthless so you can pretty much just ignore them. The only thing I ever used it for was upgrading gems and runes and even that was situational.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Crafted Items in D2 are insanely good, actually, at least for slots that don't take runewords. It just takes an incredible amount of resources to get to the point where you can make enough to get the combinations you want.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

Meanwhile D3 is the art of killing monsters before you even realize they are on the screen

Back in the glory days of the D2 Burizon, if you ever saw a monster you were doing something wrong.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was there a guide or did the community trial and error that stuff?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Blizzard was pretty upfront with all that poo poo.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/crafteditems.shtml

Blood and Caster are the only crafted types that are really of any possible use.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

I didn't pick up the game until 2005, but I've been told that things like the official Blizzard guide was badly managed and had a lot of incorrect information and that a lot of 1.10 runewords were not listed on their website and they had to be datamined.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vakal posted:

Blood and Caster are the only crafted types that are really of any possible use.

The terrifying pre-wiki internet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LordAdakos posted:

New NA CR is the easiest in a while. No idea why it took 7 minutes for the original run but it can be completed in 3 pretty easily.

In-geom AND dashing strike? Did some loving intern pick this challenge rift? Why the gently caress does all the gear synergize with lashing tail kick, they should fire this person who doesn't understand the spirit of challenge rifts

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Y'all remember D3 launch with invulnerable minions?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Don't forget rage timers

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
and elites that would slowly regain jump to full health while you were dead

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

fire chain jailers with invulnerable minions

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Ironically the most fun I've had with this game was during the early days of Inferno where it was all about finding the best exploits to get loot before Blizzard nerfed them.

It started with chest runs in Alcarnus since one of the cellar side areas that could potentially spawn had no enemies and a resplendent chest in it. MF applied to chests back then so you would run to it as fast as possible dodging all the monsters that could instantly kill you, put on all your MF gear and then open the chest. The devs nerfed that specific chest but by then my group was already in Act 3 and Cryder's Outpost had a similar exploit. Blizzard then nerfed all resplendent chests while also making chests in general unaffected by MF, but a new exploit was found using Tyreal when he accompanies you during Act 3 over Rakkis Crossing. Basically you would find a unique pack in one of the side areas, swap to your MF gear, quickly get one-shot by it and then wait as a corpse for 10 minutes as Tyreal slowly chipped away at it's HP since Tyreal himself was invulnerable. All of this was done alongside trying to find non-ranged unique packs that you could get stuck on the other side of a gap and kill without actually engaging them. By then my group was basically geared enough to slowly make our way through act 3/4.

It sounds lovely and definitely isn't good game design, but the thrill of getting some place you weren't supposed to be combined with the knowledge that you were beating the devs at their own game was exhilarating. RMAH also meant you were getting paid for it which was pretty sweet.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
And then they had the bug where Wizards were literally invincible. I think I beat Italian Hell Diablo with that.
Also killing a pack with exploding palm gave you 3-4x the normal loot!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sure, finding ways to exploit the ever living poo poo out of a deeply flawed and broken system can be lots of fun. But like you said, it makes for an objectively lovely actual game.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vakal posted:

Power gloves with knockback and IAS were a huge thing for PVP Bowazons, like this old school East dupe:

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Making a Diablo IV without a desert themed act will automatically put it in contention for best Diablo game for me.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Constantine XI posted:

Making a Diablo IV without a desert themed act will automatically put it in contention for best Diablo game for me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Bring back minions blocking pathing and put in an entire act that is narrow corridors. Corridors full of Duriels.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

New season announced!

Yawn

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Dang, I was off by a week on when it would be announced. For anyone curious on the dates:

Season 13 will end on the following dates:

North America: Sunday, June 3 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT
Europe: Sunday, June 3 @ 5:00 p.m. CET
Asia: Sunday, June 3 @ 5:00 p.m. KST

Season 14 will begin about two weeks afterward on the dates below:

North America: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT
Europe: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. CET
Asia: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. KST

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Constantine XI posted:

Less desert, more jungle themed fetch quests.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DrSeRRoD posted:

Season 14 will begin about two weeks afterward on the dates below:

North America: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT
Europe: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. CET
Asia: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. KST

Father's day weekend, perfect

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elysiume posted:

Bring back minions blocking pathing and put in an entire act that is narrow corridors. Corridors full of Duriels.

Only if the Duriels poo poo out lesser Duriels that themselves poo poo out even lesser Duriels for maximum corridor clog.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
And some of the Duriels can resurrect the dead ones.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Larrymer posted:

New season announced!

Yawn

With no mention of a PTR or any chances at all.

We're all still going to play it though...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GoingPostal posted:

And some of the Duriels can resurrect the dead ones.

Looking for Baal..........

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
So I just rejoined D3 after 3 years (lol) - but struggling to do any dmg at all with my Crusader (going condemn build).

Playing non-season, paragon 252.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this build just bad till you get the gear etc.

Also, is there a goon guild recruitment thread?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

JadaX posted:

So I just rejoined D3 after 3 years (lol) - but struggling to do any dmg at all with my Crusader (going condemn build).

Playing non-season, paragon 252.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this build just bad till you get the gear etc.

Also, is there a goon guild recruitment thread?

Post your build! All builds are bad until you get the gear because until then you're not running the build.

Play the lowest difficulty where you can kill elites in under ~7 seconds. Raise the difficulty as you get better gear.

I'm guessing you maybe have your 6 piece set bonus and 1 or 2 supporting legendaries and none of your legendary gems at 25?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm excited to play this guy's build for next week's challenge rift

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Post your build! All builds are bad until you get the gear because until then you're not running the build.

Play the lowest difficulty where you can kill elites in under ~7 seconds. Raise the difficulty as you get better gear.

I'm guessing you maybe have your 6 piece set bonus and 1 or 2 supporting legendaries and none of your legendary gems at 25?

I'm currently using: https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-akkhan-condemn-build-patch-2-6-1-season-13 as my guide.

Oh btw, I'm not lvl 70 yet, only 66 I think. The thing is, my friend whom I'm lvling with is basically melting everything (necro, same level but paragon 600+).

I have no set gear, all is yellow from monster drops + legendaries. No gems currently, waiting to get to max lvl. So the first thing I need to do when I hit 70 is start using shards on the merchant to get gear correct?

JadaX fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 20, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Playing at the same difficulty and them being Paragon 600+ means that'd be the case unless you had twink gear.

Level on Hard to 70.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Dameius posted:

Playing at the same difficulty and them being Paragon 600+ means that'd be the case unless you had twink gear.

Level on Hard to 70.

Alright, I reached that - now to farm rifts + bounties on Torment 1? Does the shard merchant give set drops? I currently have none of the gear I need for this build.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Run the highest torment you comfortably can. Yes Kaddala will give you set items. For weapons it's easier to upgrade stuff in the cube if you're targeting something specific.

Also get the cube if you haven't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You should be upgrading yellow weapons in the cube to get the one you need for your build while gambling blood shards for the set. Rings and amulets in the cube as well.

Shoulders, chest, gloves tend to have the least competition when gambling.

Then helm, pants, boots.

Then belt.

Work your off hand in there sonewhere unless it is another weapon, then bump it to cibe farming.

Once you have the gear you can then worry about using the cube to reforge specific pieces.

Never gamble for weapons and amulets. Rings you can gamble for if you have good items in everything else and you are just looking to burn your shards quickly.