Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

pog boyfriend posted:

i seriously have doubts as to the stats that they are working with. i am picturing a guy taking this on udyr and just slaughtering an entire team. going to call shenanigans on these stats -- but more importantly, are we rocking with damage taken off before or after reduction

I checked, the answer is before. So it's way less powerful than it looks since it works off pre-mitigation damage. A level 11 Kayn has 67 armor, so a 200 AD autoattack hits him for 120ish damage. Spear reduces the 200 damage to 170, which then becomes 102. Not nearly as broken as it looks otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
"WELCOME TO SCUTTLER'S RIFT"

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

pog boyfriend posted:

new atmas sucks because it is gold efficient after warming up a fight with 3 seconds of attacks, but if you try to trade top lane without using your abilities for 3 seconds you are going to get clowned on. if you try to gank someone without using your abilities for 3 seconds they are going to walk away. the item is only good for prolonged slapfights, the likes of which are extremely uncommon, and teamfights where you are a secondary initiator. they need to raise the power of the item more, or remove the scaling portion entirely(and raise the power of the item).

shojin is actually really important and good for the game, and i applaud it. it should be noted that it increases damage by 10 + 15% bonus AD, which then gets multiplied by three(200% more is 100 + 200), which is 30 + 45% bonus AD, which is a number you really want to crack some eggs on, but it adds up to potentially removing 75 damage from every attack(100 bonus AD) on an off-tank. what i want to know is if this is applied before, or after reduction -- if we have the latter, this item will be built on every single off-tank bruiser.

Not sure I understand. Why would you hold off on using abilities?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nightgull posted:

Not sure I understand. Why would you hold off on using abilities?

because it is only gold efficient after warming up a fight with 3 seconds. if you want to make the item gold efficient, you have to play suboptimally. if you play optimally, the item use is suboptimal, compared to other items. it is a catch 22, and the item sucks.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

i seriously have doubts as to the stats that they are working with. i am picturing a guy taking this on udyr and just slaughtering an entire team. going to call shenanigans on these stats -- but more importantly, are we rocking with damage taken off before or after reduction

After, same as Amumu E passive.

So let's say you're Pyke with 100 armor and 270 AD (ghostblade + yomuu's + 80AD item + Spear), and their ADC somehow has 500AD and no Lethality. Pyke autos in a teamfight to proc Dragon's Heart and takes an auto from the ADC. (NB: Pyke crosses 100 armor in base stats, with no runes/masteries/items, at level 16.)

500AD reduced by 100 armor = 250 damage
270*0.15 + 10 = 50.5 (non-DH per-attack reduction)
50.5 * 3 = 151.5 (DH per-attack reduction)

For six seconds, Pyke takes 98.5 damage per auto, then the six seconds starts over once he participates in any kill, then he regenerates a huge % of damage taken once he's out of vision

In the above quote, Lowbo said that with DH it's worth 40-50 armor and MR. This seems really really really far off!

I did the math: reducing damage taken to 39.3% is equivalent to adding 154.45 armor, and that's armor that isn't reduced by Last Whisper. 154.45 armor is worth 3089 gold.

It's Just A Broken Item Y'all

EDIT: the math in this is completely wrong, see post below

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 18, 2018

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

kingcobweb posted:

Here's my favorite Pyke gameplay video so far, because he's actually realistic about the champ and its strengths and weaknesses, even in a game where his scoreline goes apeshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKBCqhl-Hg

Look at how, even after he has 7+ kills and a finished duskblade and the enemies are all feeding miserably, his skills do practically no damage (other than ult). He makes a great point about how, because 100% of Pyke's damage is physical, armor is INCREDIBLY good against him, and tank champions naturally get tons of armor just from leveling up.

He has great base damage, he just doesn't scale as well as other AD Assassins. His big strengths are in his unconventional assassin kit, which give him a lot more control than most. For example, in best-case scenario-land, at max level:

Pyke buttons:
316.25(+69% Bonus AD) + 230(+80% Bonus AD) + 620(+140% Bonus AD) = 1166.25 (+289% Bonus AD)

Talon buttons:
247.5(+165% Bonus AD) + 280(+100% Bonus AD) + 360(+200% Bonus AD) = 887.5 (+465% Bonus AD)

Zed buttons:
220(+90% Bonus AD)*2 + 170(+70% Bonus AD) + [220(+90% Bonus AD)*2 + 170(+70% Bonus AD)] * .55(+100% bonus AD) = 1165.5 (+487.5% Bonus AD)

Note that Zed's case is generous, because it assumes the buttons all just hit perfect, and no mitigation (which reduces value on R). That being said, it's clear that conventional assassins have strengths in killing you with raw damage, while Pyke's assassin style - especially transitioning to late game - is dependent more on initiating the correct fight and taking advantage of R reset values.

Also, there's currently a bug with Pyke and Cinderhulk which is incorrectly giving him bonus HP (likely based on the amount he would've gained from Cinderhulk's bonus scaling). Watched a few folks do jungle Pyke with heavy HP/resist builds and get him up to around 3K HP. It'll get fixed but it's funny watching an assassin dive into a group of folks and then walk away and heal like 2K hp or more.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Transient People posted:

I checked, the answer is before.
Oh that's weird! Works differently than similar stuff though. Guess I have some recalculating to do.

edit: Lowbo confirmed it, I'm just dumb

quote:

The damage reduction takes place pretty much before anything else - mitigation, Adaptive Helm, etc, making it generally anti-synergistic with other mitigation effects.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

KirbyKhan posted:

"WELCOME TO SCUTTLER'S RIFT"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

After, same as Amumu E passive.

So let's say you're Pyke with 100 armor and 270 AD (ghostblade + yomuu's + 80AD item + Spear), and their ADC somehow has 500AD and no Lethality. Pyke autos in a teamfight to proc Dragon's Heart and takes an auto from the ADC. (NB: Pyke crosses 100 armor in base stats, with no runes/masteries/items, at level 16.)

500AD reduced by 100 armor = 250 damage
270*0.15 + 10 = 50.5 (non-DH per-attack reduction)
50.5 * 3 = 151.5 (DH per-attack reduction)

For six seconds, Pyke takes 98.5 damage per auto, then the six seconds starts over once he participates in any kill, then he regenerates a huge % of damage taken once he's out of vision

In the above quote, Lowbo said that with DH it's worth 40-50 armor and MR. This seems really really really far off!

I did the math: reducing damage taken to 39.3% is equivalent to adding 154.45 armor, and that's armor that isn't reduced by Last Whisper. 154.45 armor is worth 3089 gold.

It's Just A Broken Item Y'all
Fixing to pre-mitigation damage:

500AD reduced by 151.5 = 348.5
Slicing that in half with 100 armor = 174.25 damage per auto

Okay, that's definitely a huge difference. This gives the equivalent of 43.68 armor, which lines up way closer with Lowbo's "40-50 armor" analysis.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

Fixing to pre-mitigation damage:

500AD reduced by 151.5 = 348.5
Slicing that in half with 100 armor = 174.25 damage per auto

Okay, that's definitely a huge difference. This gives the equivalent of 43.68 armor, which lines up way closer with Lowbo's "40-50 armor" analysis.

sounds like someone owes somebody an apology

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

sounds like someone owes somebody an apology
It's my ADC's fault.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

pog boyfriend posted:

because it is only gold efficient after warming up a fight with 3 seconds. if you want to make the item gold efficient, you have to play suboptimally. if you play optimally, the item use is suboptimal, compared to other items. it is a catch 22, and the item sucks.

I mean, you're definitely not wrong, but something like Fiora ult seems like an all-in style that would work well with this - you start to build it on your first auto q and then it procs while you're ulting.

Of course, it's might still not be a great choice for her numbers wise anyway, but there are at least some patterns that work well with it - if your abilities come up quickly and you take extended fights. I also imagine it wouldn't really be something you'd use during laning phase, which could mitigate it a bit.

But, even with that ideal situation still doesn't seem that great so vOv

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mundo can be in a fight for a long time. Welcome back atmas

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

pog boyfriend posted:

Oh, I get what you’re saying. I’m dumb. You want to save the abilities for the point when you’re adding the most damage.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It scales off max HP and has tank stats, so it seems like it's intended for bruiser characters. Lowbo said it's had good results on Urgot. I can imagine it being really strong on Sion and Mundo with the right numbers.

I agree that it seems a bit weak at the moment. Even for a tank, five seconds in a teamfight is a long time.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I guess you could slot it in as a second item on Urgot, but he prefers raw health to resists and needs frozen mallet to start chasing people down.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/itslowbo/status/997572751782166529

New tooltip clarifies.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Nightgull posted:

I guess you could slot it in as a second item on Urgot, but he prefers raw health to resists and needs frozen mallet to start chasing people down.

It's definitely a late item, even for its best champs, because of the way it scales off max HP and is more useful when teamfighting.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only character I can think of that would want this and not take titanic hydra over it is Garen.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

a garenine item

garonic, garenal (ga-ree-nal)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I look forward to my top laners feeding a Riven and having to deal with death dance/spear riven jumping into the middle of everyone and being unkillable.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Can’t wait for spear/GA/tabi/cleaver assassins to be even more unduelable for marksmen

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Can’t wait for spear/GA/tabi/cleaver assassins to be even more unduelable for marksmen
As the good lord intended.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
indeed

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

On the other hand, spear + GA + deaths dance might be some really solid insurance against assassins as an ADC.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I can think of about 4 carries who can get away with not buying that much crit, Ezreal, Vayne, Kai'sa, and Kalista. I guess I really don't have a problem with that :v:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Well at least everyone will stop bitching about the jungle changes when that poo poo is added.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

CODChimera posted:

Well at least everyone will stop bitching about the jungle changes when that poo poo is added.

I will never stop bitching about crab meta I will never log off

strong bird
May 12, 2009

*gesturing to crab* this is so important.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I'm actually about to begin a game as Pyke!!! https://www.twitch.tv/kingcobweb/

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
An interesting build I've been trying today is Rageblade > Edge of Night Kalista, and you take dom secondary, sudden impact and the active CDR rune. It's an expensive item, but you get to have the spell shield passive up like every 25 seconds, which is nuts. You can gain the upper hand in a lot of one spell duelist like Zoe, Ahri, or Zilean. It's pretty strong. Her late game damage is nutso with rageblade so I don't really feel like I'm losing a lot by not going straight damage or hurricane. After her initial nerfs that hard cap her jump speed stacking aspd isn't that amazing anyway.

I like it because with the health and spellshield you become fairly robust, especially with the correct Reeboks, and Rageblade's flat AD gain combos very well with the armor penetration for Rends. I'm considering swapping Legend Alacrity for the heal one though; Rage/Edge of Night/Hurricane is a long time without a lifesteal item on her.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 19, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

its curtains for Kevin posted:

An interesting build I've been trying today is Rageblade > Edge of Night Kalista, and you take dom secondary, sudden impact and the active CDR rune. It's an expensive item, but you get to have the spell shield passive up like every 25 seconds, which is nuts. You can gain the upper hand in a lot of one spell duelist like Zoe, Ahri, or Zilean. It's pretty strong. Her late game damage is nutso with rageblade so I don't really feel like I'm losing a lot by not going straight damage or hurricane. After her initial nerfs that hard cap her jump speed stacking aspd isn't that amazing anyway.

I like it because with the health and spellshield you become fairly robust, especially with the correct Reeboks, and Rageblade's flat AD gain combos very well with the armor penetration for Rends. I'm considering swapping Legend Alacrity for the heal one though; Rage/Edge of Night/Hurricane is a long time without a lifesteal item on her.

Sudden Impact is a great call on Kalista, it's literally just permanent 10 Lethality. That's very strong.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The only issue is that Kalista has a 44% win rate, presumably because she really, really cannot 1v1 any relevant carry right now, and is very dependant on having someone to apply crowd control first. In addition, if you're behind, you lose to just about everyone since, again, you're very reliant on team engages. That being said, she's still quite strong; I just think that the range nerf had a lot to do with her laning safety, since now she has short range AND a really vulnerable last hitting dynamic. You have to make strong trades and create space to farm freely. If you can play into good matchups, I think she's super capable. Just don't play into draven or a strong laning combo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I also tried Edge of Night today as Ezreal against a Xerath, and it was really nice to be able to just dodge his QW and force him to blow the stun on the shield. Really made it a cinch to assassinate him in the mid game. I should buy that item more; nobody uses it so I think the spellshield is pretty underestimated.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

kingcobweb posted:

when both junglers are poo poo, Nunu reigns supreme.
You jest, but after languishing in various tiers of gold all season with over 300 Rengar games, I started playing Nunu a few days ago. Current yeti W/L record is 10-0 and I'm now plat V.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 19, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I would never joke about the effectiveness of my friend Willump the yeti.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
How do I stop sucking so much dick at this vide game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlie Bobson posted:

The same way you stop being bad at any video game. This is a famous article regarding that:
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win
Counter article:
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MarkNewheiser/20090414/83747/quotPlaying_to_Winquot_and_a_Philosophy_of_Competition_in_Gaming.php

Within the boundaries of the rule set of the game, you play to win with total disregard to whatever perception others have of the tactics you're using. It's important to understand that some of the stuff Sirlin says need to be taken with a huge grain of salt (abusing bugs is okay in some scenes, but can and will get you banned in a lot of games). If you need more specific directions than that I can give some ideas of how you "play to win", but odds are that they involve spending more energy than you'd like.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 19, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Charlie Bobson posted:

other advice: play against people that outclass you and rip them off. or watch streams of good non gimmick players and rip them off. or watch pros and rip them off. pick meta and copy your betters

getting your rear end kicked and doing the thing they did is very effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pick a top tier and don't play ADC