Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

It didn't motivate Deadpool though!!!!!!

His entire story is triggered, developed and concluded as a result of it. Any other event could have been used but they went for the laziest one IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Does "Peter" from the trailers do anything important? Because one of the trailers with him had this really dramatic skydiving moment and I'm curious whether that ends in a gag or if he actually helps.

Short answer: He's a joke character that does nothing action-wise.

Slightly more spoilery answer: He dies horribly/hilariously pretty much as soon as he lands.

Spoiler for the spoiler: Time travel brings him back though!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

poptart_fairy posted:

His entire story is triggered, developed and concluded as a result of it. Any other event could have been used but they went for the laziest one IMO.

My dude, it did the exact opposite of what you said.

So the film opens with Deadpool doing merc poo poo, and going super deep into it. But at the same time as he's doing all this killin, he's also trying to settle down and actually have some kids. For once he feels a real connection with a person and is willing to do something with that person that he never thought he could. He was changing into a more well rounded human. But then, due to his gently caress ups with being a merc, she dies. He doesn't go forward, but backward. He keeps trying to die and "see" Vanessa, but he can't because his "heart isn't in the right place." He wasn't changing. He was regressing.

He's motivated by seeing Firefirst and realizing, like him, he was abused. He doesn't have anyone. He can't change and be a better person without help. This is what motivates Deadpool. The act of connecting with a person who needs it the most. That's what the film was about. Finding meaningful connections with people.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hmm, if only that wasn't all triggered off by the exact complaint I have.

Why was it impossible to develop Deadpool without unceremoniously killing off Vanessa?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

poptart_fairy posted:

Hmm, if only that wasn't all triggered off by the exact complaint I have.

Why was it impossible to develop Deadpool without unceremoniously killing off Vanessa?

They could've had a different theme, and point I suppose. But they didn't so oh well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, Vanessa was the one character from the first movie that everyone was praying would get more screen time in Deadpool 2. How could they waste that, what a missed opportunity. :geno:

Both films had entertaining women in them, especially Domino in 2, but Vanessa wasn't one of them. She was important thematically, but they never found a way to write her as a particularly interesting character, and her performance was largely a big ol' nothing.

You'd get more cheers giving screen time in the sequel to Angel Dust and her dick punches.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sean10mm posted:

I mean... the opening credits made fun of it right after it happened?

Then they reversed it in the most wacky comic book way possible via time travel?

It's not some :decorum: critique but they clearly didn't take the idea of whacking a major character for cheap shock value seriously.

I also could have sworn I heard a reference to refrigerators there somewhere, but I might have been making that up.
I'm sure I missed about half the jokes, they were just rapid fire.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

They could've had a different theme, and point I suppose. But they didn't so oh well.

Yeah. Oh well. One of the laziest tropes in writing, women getting refrigerated to advance a male character's story, happened in a big movie where they tried to be progressive as heck. Oops!

Welp, no big deal, right? I'm a man, you're man, doesn't affect us so who cares right? :shrug:

You're right that they tried to put a positive twist on it but the fact that they did it at all is the problem. They didn't have to.

But "oh well". :rolleyes:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mulva posted:

I don't know, they did good work giving him a daughter in the comics, and it's not like that took the edge off him.

Sadly, Deadpool just removed his memories of her existence. :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah. Oh well. One of the laziest tropes in writing, women getting refrigerated to advance a male character's story, happened in a big movie where they tried to be progressive as heck. Oops!

Welp, no big deal, right? I'm a man, you're man, doesn't affect us so who cares right? :shrug:

You're right that they tried to put a positive twist on it but the fact that they did it at all is the problem. They didn't have to.

But "oh well". :rolleyes:
Watch the after credits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And before I have a million people come after me, I do get it. It wasn't my favorite thing in the film and I was worried about it. But I ended up understanding why they did it besides just "motivation". I thought it all tied in very well. And since she's not dead any more, they can easily give her a bigger role in the next one due to getting the big "meaningful connections" theme out of the way. And she can probably get her powers finally. Or maybe not. I dunno.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Holy shitballs that was a fun movie. Worth seeing if you even slightly enjoyed the first one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I couldn't stop laughing at this movie. Better than the first.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

CelticPredator posted:

And she can probably get her powers finally. Or maybe not. I dunno.

I went into this convinced that Vanessa was Peter & her powers manifested due to that stressful tube Francis put her in & she just wanted to join in with DPs fun times but alas, it was not to be

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given how broad Deadpool's cast is now, Dopinder can just replace Weasel as soon he's finished that manslaughter charge.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX8_MhwxMk

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gavok posted:

Sadly, Deadpool just removed his memories of her existence. :(

Yeah but they don't end the story there so it's fine.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Saw this movie. Got to say I'm disappointed that most of the cool action stuff was in the trailer & part of the montage stuff at the start. Other than that some of the cable v. deadpool stuff was fun but basically everything fire fist's school looked really bad. Some funny stuff. TJ Miller has some good jokes in this one instead of 100% "You look like an rear end that barfed on a poop". Overall I give the film a B- and won't speak of it again.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Did I blink and miss it or is Brad Pitt the new Stan Lee?

Movie was fun. I laughed.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

hatelull posted:

Did I blink and miss it or is Brad Pitt the new Stan Lee?

Movie was fun. I laughed.

Stan Lee remains the Stan Lee, he's on a mural visible in an areal shot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i liked how he made the crack about the x-men being an outdated race allegory and then the orphanage was a christian gay conversion therapy/abuse stand-in.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
By the way, the reason there was no Juggernaut Bitch joke is a movie already did that over a decade ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYViV8p-Ow

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Man movies really do look better now than they did in the 2000s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i liked that the rumors were black tom cassidy was the "real" villain so i wasn't spoiled on who it was. enjoyed all the jokes around cassidy.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation

Jeb! Repetition posted:

By the way, the reason there was no Juggernaut Bitch joke is a movie already did that over a decade ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYViV8p-Ow

I clicked on this and my recommended videos on youtube all turned into bloodhound gang music videos immediately.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Movie was awesome. Every one of those post credit scenes was amazing.

Jesus wept, Zazie Beetz is ridiculously cute.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 19, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Only two complaints were
1. They didn’t keep Cable true to his comic roots by switching which eye was the techvirus one randomly.

And

2. I spent the whole movie waiting for the Sinister drop after the name of the conversion camp was Essex.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want mojo in one of these flicks after the mojoworld mention.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like no one seems to believe Shatterstar is an alien. The X-Men movies have been low on non-mutant supernatural phenomena, even Deadpool wasn't really a mutant in his original origin. (And he seems to be an edge case in the movies, but good enough for the X-Men)

Next movie needs more of Vanessa hanging out with non-Deadpool characters, I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do you mean people that saw the movie? he's obviously an alien - he explodes in green goo and hair when he hits the copter blades.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Domino was the real star of the movie, fight me

Also, I think the Fox movies are starting to get in the same anti-Fox-News-anti-RW jabs that the Simpsons used to, since I counted at least two:

1. NSTWH assuming Wade was being "intolerant" -> "Don't go all 'Fox and Friends' on me!"
2. In one of the most soon-to-be-dated references in a movie chock full of soon-to-be-dated references, "Jared Kushner?!?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also when he said mission accomplished in a george w sense.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Oh THAT'S what he said about George W, I couldn't hear all of it. OK, three then :)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Domino was awesome and I liked the swearing in the operatic music number. Good poo poo.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Oh apparently the other cameo of the rednecks was Matt Damon on heavy makeup. Shoutouts to Thor Ragnarok I guess?? They credited him as Dickie Greenleaf, a reference to his character on Mr. Ripley

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My only disappointment is in the mid credits scenes, it would have been great to see a quick scene of him stealing infinity stones and then telling the MCU to suck it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mostly a really, really good movie and better than the first (by a wide margin- it's almost a Raid to Raid 2 level jump in quality, as if this was a similar situation where DP2 was the movie they wanted to make the first time).

However, a couple really big black marks on it.

Firstly, I really don't like how X-Force gets chumped. The scene was kind of uncomfortable to watch, honestly, and it felt like a waste of a few really fun characters. I'm... honestly just really glad Shatterstar wasn't used for a cheap gay joke, but that's the one silver lining.

Secondly, does anyone else kinda feel like the way Dopinder is handled by these movies is, er, a little racist? Like, the whole joke of the character in DP2 is that he wants to be badass but is literally incapable of it and just keeps getting pushed into servile roles and abused by TJ Miller. Even when he does get a "badass moment" at the very end, it's literally immediately undercut by Domino going "oh yeah my powers did that." Like, I'm not Indian so I'm not 100% qualified to say, but does this seem a little hosed to anyone else or is it just me?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mostly a really, really good movie and better than the first (by a wide margin- it's almost a Raid to Raid 2 level jump in quality, as if this was a similar situation where DP2 was the movie they wanted to make the first time).

However, a couple really big black marks on it.

Firstly, I really don't like how X-Force gets chumped. The scene was kind of uncomfortable to watch, honestly, and it felt like a waste of a few really fun characters. I'm... honestly just really glad Shatterstar wasn't used for a cheap gay joke, but that's the one silver lining.

Secondly, does anyone else kinda feel like the way Dopinder is handled by these movies is, er, a little racist? Like, the whole joke of the character in DP2 is that he wants to be badass but is literally incapable of it and just keeps getting pushed into servile roles and abused by TJ Miller. Even when he does get a "badass moment" at the very end, it's literally immediately undercut by Domino going "oh yeah my powers did that." Like, I'm not Indian so I'm not 100% qualified to say, but does this seem a little hosed to anyone else or is it just me?

i feel that the Dopinder role would have been funny if itnwas a white guy or any other ethnicity. The joke is that he is a wannabe.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I get that, I don't think Ryan Reynolds and David Leitch are trying to make some kind of statement about Indian people. I just feel like it kind of butts into some really nasty stereotypes. :shrug:

e: also, honestly, I kind of feel like Dopinder and Peter can't really exist in the same movie? Like, that's basically the exact same joke played in two different ways, to the point where the movie even practically calls it out.

Also, just so I'm not only throwing out specific negative things: Zazie Beetz is loving amazing and needs to be in everything. Like, holy poo poo, Domino made me laugh harder than any other character.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah count me in as a guy that is actually a little sad that X-Force gets so completely chumped. I understand the joke and it’s a good one but I also feel like they should have used the time travel to save all of the members and not just Peter.

Call me a softy snowflake liberal but I’m also disappointed that we won’t see any more of Bedlam considering Terry Crews’ career is in a not-insignificant amount of danger right now through no fault of his own.

Regarding the Dopinder thing, the only thing about him that’s really a stereotype is the fact that he’s a cab driver. Maybe that part is a little offputting, but considering he doesn’t even do any of that in DP2 (all his driving is just using his old car as a getaway vehicle for Deadpool) the character doesn’t make me feel particularly uncomfortable. If we get any actual Indian people complaining about the character I’d be happy to reconsider my position, though. Overall I’m actually pretty pleased with how diverse the casts of the Deadpool movies are and how crass the jokes can get without being outright mean-spirited, particularly towards minorities. Maybe that’s why the X-Force scene sticks out so much, and maybe that’s why it bothered Poptart Fairy so much - it feels especially cynical in a pair of movies that, most of the time, are absolutely not.

• Locked thread