Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Done right WH3's Chaos Daemons should basically be four very distinct factions though, no? Some overlap in marked marauders/warriors/chosen but then like loads of unique demon types, and presumably very distinct campaign-level play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Broken Cog posted:

With Vampire Coast, how would they handle a Warhammer 1 faction on the Vortex map? Would it simply only be playable in ME?

Vampire Coast is headquartered in Lustria and has their own unique unitlist; they're not just regular TW1 VC.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Im gonna be really disappointed if we end the WH series and dont have some kinda rad flying carpet unit

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Panfilo posted:

-Cathay being released along with future DLC content for Kislev and Araby. Plenty of existing assets/skeletons of human models that could simply be modified to look distinctively Asian in armor and weapons. So you could play Total War Warhammer 3: Romance of the Three Kingdoms Also Ogres Hell Dwarves And Titty Snakes.

Total War Orochi 3, with special guest general Amanda Ripley from Creative Assembly's Alien Isolation.

I tried loading up the dwarf campaign I was playing last night, but it was a total wreck. I got into one huge fight with both of my armies against two orc armies. It started off well, but it fell apart at the end. I wounded the general, which I thought would demoralize the rest of the army, but it was around that point that I got overwhelmed. Part of what tripped me up was probably that other army came in as reinforcements, so I didn't get to set them up, and just tried to get them into the fight without any real arrangement.

After that, I tried reloading some save games prior to that to try and move around on the campaign map to get some better odds, or to try and swing things better in my favor, but the orcs would just constantly raid the settlements I had out south of the main Dwarf settlement, and even when I was garrisoned somewhere, Grimgor or a group of two armies would attack and army, and there would be no chance to win (odds bar was near completely red).

I wonder if the problem is that I started out trying to go after the orc settlements in the south instead of expanding out to the dwarf settlements in the west. I was able to take a couple of them pretty easily, but then I was never sure if I was supposed to attack them or not.

I think I'm going to abandon the Dwarf campaign, and try the Empire or Vampire campaigns. If those go badly, I might call it quits on the game for now, since I'm just getting frustrated with it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

KazigluBey posted:

Done right WH3's Chaos Daemons should basically be four very distinct factions though, no? Some overlap in marked marauders/warriors/chosen but then like loads of unique demon types, and presumably very distinct campaign-level play?

Yeah I bet they leave the Warriors of Chaos as 1 DLC, maybe tart them up a bit as well and then make one of the new "factions" in 3 a full set of 4 subfactions representing full dedication to each of the Chaos gods. Then their campaign gameplay will be doing stuff in the Chaos wastes and the region in 3 then emerging and doing stuff that makes sense for that gods style (spreading disease, seeding Chaos cults in the cities of men etc) and the lords/big units will be more unique like you say. That'd be what I'm hoping for in 3 anyway, along with Ogres, Chaos Dwarves and a wildcard 4th faction, or they could possibly justify just 3 factions if they go really, really in deep with the Chaos stuff maybe.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Max Wilco posted:

Total War Orochi 3, with special guest general Amanda Ripley from Creative Assembly's Alien Isolation.

I tried loading up the dwarf campaign I was playing last night, but it was a total wreck. I got into one huge fight with both of my armies against two orc armies. It started off well, but it fell apart at the end. I wounded the general, which I thought would demoralize the rest of the army, but it was around that point that I got overwhelmed. Part of what tripped me up was probably that other army came in as reinforcements, so I didn't get to set them up, and just tried to get them into the fight without any real arrangement.

After that, I tried reloading some save games prior to that to try and move around on the campaign map to get some better odds, or to try and swing things better in my favor, but the orcs would just constantly raid the settlements I had out south of the main Dwarf settlement, and even when I was garrisoned somewhere, Grimgor or a group of two armies would attack and army, and there would be no chance to win (odds bar was near completely red).

I wonder if the problem is that I started out trying to go after the orc settlements in the south instead of expanding out to the dwarf settlements in the west. I was able to take a couple of them pretty easily, but then I was never sure if I was supposed to attack them or not.

I think I'm going to abandon the Dwarf campaign, and try the Empire or Vampire campaigns. If those go badly, I might call it quits on the game for now, since I'm just getting frustrated with it.

Vampires have the easiest-to-handle campaign situation, for what it's worth.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Now I really want a warhammer dynasty warriors

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

I think something about recent steam database updates made it sound like it might be.

huh.

so there is.

we have two huge depots being worked on.

one is spaghetti. one is carpet.

that uh, that sounds like tilea/estalia/dogs of war and araby to me.

welves were "forest". beastmen were "heavy metal".

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Full Amazon faction with gorilla monstrous infantry and wrist lasers. :pray:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Amazons are going to be units for the Southern Realms/Dogs of War.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does Amazons having 40K tech have any bearing on newer Warhammer or is that all stuff from back in the 80s, when the two properties were implicitly linked?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Mordja posted:

Does Amazons having 40K tech have any bearing on newer Warhammer or is that all stuff from back in the 80s, when the two properties were implicitly linked?

It's Old Ones tech they use, so it's whether you go by the theory the Fantasy Old Ones are the same ones as the 40k lot.

Personally I like the theory that the whole 40k universe is in a jar on some wizard's mantelpiece :v:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Dwarves are only easy if you were good at rome/shogun, they're not actually easy to learn the game with.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Dwarves are only easy if you were good at rome/shogun, they're not actually easy to learn the game with.

I've played a little of Shogun 2, and I've seen some playthroughs of Shogun 2 on Legendary through Youtube. I've tried to remember some of the techniques I've seen from those videos, but it hasn't helped a whole lot.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It sounds to me like you might have been over extending in your early game. It’s very easy to take settlements from the orcs but it’s much harder to hold them against the inevitable counter attacks. Use dwarf settlements immediately to your west in Barak Varr as a buffer state, and try just sacking and razing the orc settlements south of you early. The orcs will resettle them but this costs them gold and turns to do so, and you can use them as a good source of early experience for your lord. Only expand into the south when you’re ready and able to take and defend another whole province.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
One thing about the Greenskins: Grimgor is such an rear end in a top hat that he tends to end up at war even against other Orc tribes. If you can deal a decisive win against his forces, check and see if he's willing to make peace after. You might just get it, and that buys you time to lick your wounds, expand against other enemies, and declare war against him when he's looking the other way.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Max Wilco posted:

I've played a little of Shogun 2, and I've seen some playthroughs of Shogun 2 on Legendary through Youtube. I've tried to remember some of the techniques I've seen from those videos, but it hasn't helped a whole lot.

I think he means to use the technique of having an absurd amount of income so that the battles don't matter.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just pretend Ethereal units have 80% larger healthpools if the enemy has no magic weapons or spells.

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but they get 80% damage reduction, which means they only take 1/5th damage, which means they effectively have 500% larger health pools.

Also, fire damage goes through physical resist i think.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Did Norsca ever have a unit list on the tabletop, or did CA just make one up? Because they did an amazing job if so.

Promising if they do decide to whip up Cathay or something way down the line for a third game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Did Norsca ever have a unit list on the tabletop, or did CA just make one up? Because they did an amazing job if so.
Not sure, though I do know that some of their units, like Skinwolves and Mammoths, come from Forgeworld's Chaos supplements.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Promising if they do decide to whip up Cathay or something way down the line for a third game.

Most of their roster was in lore but had never appeared on tabletop before (most notably Skinwalkers and WAR MAMMOTHS).

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mordja posted:

Not sure, though I do know that some of their units, like Skinwolves and Mammoths, come from Forgeworld's Chaos supplements.

They've done their homework. Cool to see!

Which supplement has the giant with devastating farts from the Norsca hunt.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Norsca was mostly covered under the Warriors of Chaos books. Marauders and marauder horsemen were included, but they definitely weren't the focus. CA expanded them quite a bit though, as mentioned, they did take a few units from Forge World's supplements like the skinwolves, mammoth, and fimir.

Well, fimir are actually really, really old lore/models, but the design in the game is based off of Forge World's work.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 18, 2018

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Does anyone have any tips on starting the Skrolk campaign?

I've restarted it a few times now. Each time, I take over the starting province, wipe out the local Lizardman faction, and then got dogpiled by the 4-6 surrounding factions that HATE me and can't be bribed or intimidated (for long) into peace.

I'm doing fine in the actual battles and not losing any settlements, but I end up just playing defense for 60 turns because as soon as I try to expand in any direction, one or two of my several belligerent neighbors rolls a full stack into the border on the other side of my big, wide-open province.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Max Wilco posted:

Watch the party elite videos on how to play before you give up on the game.

Auto resolve isn't your friend early game when you are new. Even if you have the advantage, try playing out fights to see if you can minimize casualties / get used to the interface. A lot of the early dwarf fights can be won far more decisively on the field than with auto-calc, which will help you snowball.

As an added bonus, the fights will be smaller and easier to manage.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Well Norsca campaign got me back into this and now I own the second game!

I like how in the opening cinematic, a bunch of dark elves are flipping through trees being stealthy whilst Malekith stumbles though the undergrowth in plain view.

Edit: The old blind dude and his pet Lord of Change are back! Or perhaps he’s the pet? :D

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 18, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

There was no Official Norsca Roster but not one thing on the list is a CA invention. It all existed. It’s not comparable to an original CA roster at all.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

whats the best mortal empire faction for some fun conquest that you can't just do in WH1 or Vortex?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, you could pick Tyrion and invade the old world instead of Naggarond once you've united Ulthuan.

Edit: Also, trying to conquer Ulthan as Wood Elves is something that maybe could be interesting, since they have a potential city there, too.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 18, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

whats the best mortal empire faction for some fun conquest that you can't just do in WH1 or Vortex?

Tyrion as he is right in the middle of the map, and just a small step from Bretonnia, Beastmen, Wood Elves, Empire, and Skaven murder pit that the fantasy french lands turn into in ME.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I'm having fun as Bretonnia right now, they added additional techs for the new races, so I sent an army over to Lustria to start an Errantry War against Skrolk.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

Sadly, the integration between ME and WH1 factions is pretty bad. Bretonnia can crusade some of the new factions and the ME Queek start eventually puts them up against Dwarfs and VC, but the ME map design was kind of disappointing. Even trying to play Dark Elves and go raid the Old World is hard because there's a giant loving island in the way. Tyrion going east instead of west once everything is defensible might work. TKs might also be fun?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My Khalida ME campaign started out with a lot of lizardmen and skaven, just like vortex, but then once I turned north I fought a massive all out war against Grimgor who had confederated all of the greenskins and exterminated the dwarfs. After finally pushing Grimgor back into the northernmost world’s edge mountains, I got to the old world to fight some vampires. Who had somehow conquered everything

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ravenfood posted:

Sadly, the integration between ME and WH1 factions is pretty bad. Bretonnia can crusade some of the new factions and the ME Queek start eventually puts them up against Dwarfs and VC, but the ME map design was kind of disappointing. Even trying to play Dark Elves and go raid the Old World is hard because there's a giant loving island in the way. Tyrion going east instead of west once everything is defensible might work. TKs might also be fun?

yeah i do kinda think they maybe should make a stripped down version of it where its mostly just the playable factions with provinces representing larger parts of land, that would help with turns too

e: gonna try khalida.... right... got to mentally prepare myself to do all 24 camera options and turn off all the end turn options. if the patch doesnt fix that...

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 19, 2018

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

#1 rule to games and real life armies. Concave beats convex. If your army is ( and there army is o you win by going (o. The AI is gonna try to ) you and you gonna try to ( them.

Try out VC, they are the easiest as they have only melee and have good cav/monsters to go ( with. And their flyers let you go (o).

Hopefully that makes sense. This is starcraft related so I wouldn't read it, but the pictures give you a great idea of the basics and what you're trying to do.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-strategy/187892-positioning-formations-and-tactics

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The cursed sword idea seems interesting, imagine if after winning enough battles with the super sword, it had a chance to cause the lord to become a rebel army and you had to defeat him to get the lord and/or army back.

Will be interesting to see what the actual penalties are, hope it's not just like -5 public order.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

A-loving-men. Basically all I care about for TW3 is a dedicated Nurgle faction. If it has that, I'll buy it, if it doesn't I wont. Having a generic 'Chaos Daemons' faction is not an acceptable compromise, CA has already shown that they're unable to make generic Chaos factions interesting or fun to play/fight against.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Beastmen and Norsca are both fun though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

A-loving-men. Basically all I care about for TW3 is a dedicated Nurgle faction. If it has that, I'll buy it, if it doesn't I wont. Having a generic 'Chaos Daemons' faction is not an acceptable compromise, CA has already shown that they're unable to make generic Chaos factions interesting or fun to play/fight against.

Nurgle faction? How can you say no to Titty Snakes? Slaanesh all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re positioning / tactics, I always have this idea of punching through the enemy centre or doing a Cannae in every TW game but I can never pull it off and always end up just outflanking / double outflanking the AI.