Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

habeasdorkus posted:

I was asking about nationalization because I feel like we've seen the converse with Aztlan. And I used UCAS as an example because you'd need gently caress-off MAD capability to make any effort at nationalizing Corp territory stick.

UCAS does still have a giant nuclear arsenal, maybe if the neo-CSA remerged they'd have enough nationalist sentiment to slide right through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That was the whole point of the Arcology - a crazy, ai run dungeon crawl right in the middle of Seattle.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Stroth posted:

Yeah. Fact is that magic just isn't common enough for stuff like that to be practical. One of the fifth edition sourcebooks laid out the magical demographics among meta-humans and it basically works out as such: Out of every ten thousand people, only about one hundred fifty are awakened. Of those one fifty, about one third have enough magical power to actually make a living at it, the rest just having one or two minor tricks. Of the fifty powerful enough to make a living at it, about ten are powerful enough to actually become full Mages who could learn whatever they want to put in the effort for, the rest being limited to one type of magic they have a natural talent for.

So the fact that our motley crew in Berlin has three Awakened members is pretty crazy, statistically speaking.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Fighting Trousers posted:

So the fact that our motley crew in Berlin has three Awakened members is pretty crazy, statistically speaking.

Not as much as you would think, insofar as Shadowrunning is the sort of profession that self-selects for that level of awakened power, to a certain degree.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Sim City 2000 have an Arcology that is basically the Renraku one? I think it was like the Darco or something?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Fighting Trousers posted:

It's very rare to find a full Mage who isn't in either corporate security, criminal security, or shadowrunning due to the sheer lethality their powers are capable of.

Mages with connections can, and almost certainly will, make a very good living at it. But for those few that don't have the criminal connections to become some boss's bodyguard/enforcer, or a corporate SIN which means they'll get tested in childhood and moved to a specialized education track to prep them for their future job as part of a HTR team, they're probably going to end up as Shadowrunners.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 18, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Colander Crotch posted:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Sim City 2000 have an Arcology that is basically the Renraku one? I think it was like the Darco or something?
Now that you mention it:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Renraku Arcology was a pyramid, unfortunately.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

wiegieman posted:

The Renraku Arcology was a pyramid, unfortunately.

This then?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

That's pretty close.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
For reference, the Renraku arcology/SCIRE:

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Poil posted:

Now that you mention it:

Make sure to point a railgun from orbit on that eldritch abnomination 24/7.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Magni posted:

For reference, the Renraku arcology/SCIRE:

Very Blade Runner.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

OutofSight posted:

Make sure to point a railgun from orbit on that eldritch abnomination 24/7.

That thing is gonna wake up and fight Godzilla any day now

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
So what did happen to the actual Renraku archaeology after the AI debacle was dealt with? I think I remember reading something where people would do unlicensed tours, and teams would go in occasionally to snoop around and see if there was anything left to steal?

I bet the Astral there is hosed UP

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

RedMagus posted:

So what did happen to the actual Renraku archaeology after the AI debacle was dealt with? I think I remember reading something where people would do unlicensed tours, and teams would go in occasionally to snoop around and see if there was anything left to steal?

It's been turned into public housing. Seriously. The mall is open and over 100,000 people live there. The top floors and fusion plants are still guarded by UCAS military, though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

RedMagus posted:

The UCAS government turned over the cleared sections to the Seattle metroplex. They rebranded it the ACHE (Arcology Contained Housing Enclave, I think), and used it to warehouse low income homeless folks (probably SINers) with no other alternatives and don't want to try their hand at squatting. In case the name hadn't clued you in, housing conditions there are pretty bad, but you still get some measure of security, bland rear end soy paste as food, and power and water on the regular. Clothes too, but only "flats" which are literally made out of cardboard and stamped out to be sold in vending machines.

And yes, there are still Metroplex Guard forces trying to guard against entry into the more dangerous sections and just in case something dangerous tries to get out, but they can't cover every entrance, so every so often, a denizen of the ACHE, with or without shadow runner backup, will plumb the depths, looking for something valuable to bring back and barter with to the outside world. Runner teams hired to find stuff in the dangerous sections of the Arcology often hire an ACHE kid who's explored it once or twice and returned as a guide, so they don't immediately get horribly murdered by whatever experiments Deus had running there a decade ago.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 3, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The game's acronyms are a little too cute for their own good.

"SIN" with "SINners" and "SINless" and now "ACHE."

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GunnerJ posted:

The other acronym that sticks out to me is BAD, for Bioengineered Awakened Drug, which was a big thing in 4th Ed, especially regarding Tempo.

There's also GOD, for the Grid Overwatch Division, the part of the Corp Court responsible for policing the Matrix (and halfway decent at it, as of 5th). The Business Recognition Accords, which ensure extraterritoriality to AAs and above, are often shortened to BRA, but that's just funny instead of on the nose.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 18, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which is another fun trick the HTRTs like to pull. "Hello, GOD? Our client wants this particular bit of the Matrix to mysteriously go haywire at the time we specify. Yes, this is calling in a favor. Pleasure doing business."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

The other acronym that sticks out to me is BAD, for Bioengineered Awakened Drug, which was a big thing in 4th Ed, especially regarding Tempo.

There's also GOD, for the Grid Overwatch Division, the part of the Corp Court responsible for policing the Matrix (and halfway decent at it, as of 5th). The Business Recognition Accords, which ensure extraterritoriality to AAs and above, are often shortened to BRA, but that's just funny instead of on the nose.

The Grid Overwatch Division at least sounds like an association the people who named it wanted. It feels intentionally overly on the nose, unlike some of the others.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GunnerJ posted:

In Canada we have Social Insurance Numbers.

We also once had two political parties merge into the Conservative Reform Alliance Party, before they realized their mistake.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Subjunctive posted:

In Canada we have Social Insurance Numbers.

As a born (but not raised, mostly) Canadian, the potential for mirth here is endless:

Guy walks into a hospital

Receptionist: Can I help you?
Guy: I'm having chest pains.
Receptionist: What's your SIN?
Guy: Too many cheeseburgers, apparently.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JustJeff88 posted:

As a born (but not raised, mostly) Canadian, the potential for mirth here is endless:

Guy walks into a hospital

Receptionist: Can I help you?
Guy: I'm having chest pains.
Receptionist: What's your SIN?
Guy: Too many cheeseburgers, apparently.

You don’t need a SIN to get medical care! :eng101: :canada:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If your player characters reach the point where they feel comfortable taking on High Threat Response, then it's probably time to start setting up your big campaign ending blow out run, or at least transition them to a setting where they need to relearn their specialties or learn new ones. Like a rural area/the ocean/space/ the metaplanes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I imagine that sending your players to space does spice it up a bit. There's the general difficulty since you expect an Ares space station not to be guarded by rent-a-cops, but it's probably also ill-advised to use grenades or full-auto or what have you. And the decker who's got a 1 in agility, body and strength might suddenly find it very difficult to just get where they need to be if there's some zero-g sections.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
And your spell-slingers should just stay home. There is no mana in space, and trying to use magic does to your soul what hard vacuum does to your body.

Ares has a space station where they've managed to generate a simple manasphere, just enough for their elite mages to operate. They use this station to conduct expeditions into the home plane of the bug spirits. If the bugs manage to follow them back, it's a simple matter to snuff out all the life and magic onboard.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
For those who want a bit of fluff recommending and don't mind having to track it down, the bit in the Shadowrun: Attitude splatbook that starts on page 12 is probably my favourite bit of background stuff anywhere. It's an introduction on how to become a Shadowrunner and the twist that I wont spoil also makes it a brilliant intro to the world as well.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I think I know the answer to this, but are any of the Shadowrun novels worth reading on their own merits? I picked up a couple on cheap for the kindle (Fire and Frost and Never Deal With a Dragon) and they were just dire - all plodding exposition and clumsy fanservice.
I'm not asking for high literature, just some cool shadowun adventures that don't take themselves too seriously.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 19, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

King Doom posted:

For those who want a bit of fluff recommending and don't mind having to track it down, the bit in the Shadowrun: Attitude splatbook that starts on page 12 is probably my favourite bit of background stuff anywhere. It's an introduction on how to become a Shadowrunner and the twist that I wont spoil also makes it a brilliant intro to the world as well.

Seconding the recommendation. The conceit of the Shadowrun books is that they take the form of posts on Jackpoint, an invite-only forum for Shadowrunners, with previous editions using Shadowland, which was open to the public. So interspersing the 'Shadowrunning for beginners' effortposts in Attitude (and all the other splatbooks) are snipes, nitpicks and arguments from the forum regulars who have been there, done that. It's great for fleshing out the world.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

communism bitch posted:

I think I know the answer to this, but are any of the Shadowrun novels worth reading on their own merits? I picked up a couple on cheap for the kindle (Fire and Frost and Never Deal With a Dragon) and they were just dire - all plodding exposition and clumsy fanservice.
I'm not asking for high literature, just some cool shadowun adventures that don't take themselves too seriously.

I've suggested it before, but go read IcePisherman's Blake Island CYOA Here. It's something like 500k words in the shadowrun universe, focus on both on the life of corporate types and of one of those ACHE delves mentioned earlier.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

communism bitch posted:

People have recommended their favorite Shadowrun fanfics a few pages ago, and it's all incredibly dire. Can't imagine standards are any higher when it comes to official stuff.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I've suggested it before, but go read IcePisherman's Blake Island CYOA Here. It's something like 500k words in the shadowrun universe, focus on both on the life of corporate types and of one of those ACHE delves mentioned earlier.

I'm reading it now, it's quite good.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I will never stop recommending this enough, really. Magic orphans living off Dunklezahn's scholarship program (just my headcanon so far but it makes sense in the story). One is a pseudo-ork with a big nogway, one is a prodigy, and one turns out to be a Real Good Boy.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So...
How feasible is ghost in the Shell in this universe?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

So...

Gonna need to be a little more specific there, GitS covers a pretty broad spectrum. Which particular concept were you referring to?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Siegkrow posted:

So...

Not at all since having too much of your body replaced with chrome makes you go insane.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There are edge cases for that rule, though getting too much into detail would be spoilers for the next game.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
You can get a cybernetic torso, two cybernetic arms, two cybernetic legs and a cybernetic skull for a base cost of 6.25 essence, which would leave you at negative .25 essence and therefore brick your character, but getting all Alphaware (the next step up from off-the-rack) for twice the price drops that down to 5 essence, or you could take Biocompatibility (Cyberware) and be left with a functioning character using generic cyberlimbs. It's expensive but possible to create a character with all of that at the default level, and it means you can use your physical attributes as dump stats because your cyberlimbs' attributes would be used instead.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

communism bitch posted:

2XS by Nigel Findley