Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

If we're properly pricing externalities, don't we need to spend that money on fixing externalities (not necessarily poor people) to have any chance of solving anything?

there's plenty of money and funding to go around. right now we're dealing with unprecedented global inequality and ultimately a carbon tax can help solve multiple problems at once. also, linking the idea of carbon mitigation with prosperity for the masses is a good first step to take in order to get more people to "buy in" on more aggressive climate mitigation strategies (like a national jobs program for the masses of unemployed people that could be planting trees, painting buildings white, infrastructure projects, etc)

in short, a carbon tax isn't a magical bullet, it's just a requirement and a good starting point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

self unaware posted:

there's plenty of money and funding to go around. right now we're dealing with unprecedented global inequality and ultimately a carbon tax can help solve multiple problems at once. also, linking the idea of carbon mitigation with prosperity for the masses is a good first step to take in order to get more people to "buy in" on more aggressive climate mitigation strategies (like a national jobs program for the masses of unemployed people that could be planting trees, painting buildings white, infrastructure projects, etc)

in short, a carbon tax isn't a magical bullet, it's just a requirement and a good starting point
I agree carbon tax is good, but properly pricing externalities and then spending that money on things other than the externalities you are concerned about makes no sense. And responding "we have plenty of money" also makes no sense. Your plan is to make a carbon tax and spend it on poor people, and then spend money from general revenue on fixing the problems created by carbon, why do that? A carbon tax that funds fixing problems created by carbon and spending money from general revenue on helping poor people makes like 10x more sense.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

I agree carbon tax is good, but properly pricing externalities and then spending that money on things other than the externalities you are concerned about makes no sense. And responding "we have plenty of money" also makes no sense. Your plan is to make a carbon tax and spend it on poor people, and then spend money from general revenue on fixing the problems created by carbon, why do that? A carbon tax that funds fixing problems created by carbon and spending money from general revenue on helping poor people makes like 10x more sense.

look I'm not opposed to doing both at the same time, I just think there's value in linking climate mitigation and prosperity to the masses (at this time, especially in America) and it's a way to kill two birds with one stone

at the end of the day America won't do any of this and it's more of a rhetorical exercise more than anything, but that's my justification behind it. you're right in that there are much more ideal ways to go about it and a carbon tax probably shouldn't be linked to social programs, it's just that a carbon tax (should) will have a massive impact on the price of every day products and people are going to be pissed if they are priced out of their lifestyles. I'm ok with the well off getting priced out of their lifestyles (like the guy who wants to fly internationally to pet cats on a regular basis) but for many poor people putting that sort of financial pressure on them is pretty unconscionable imo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

self unaware posted:

giving the money to poor people just ensures the carbon tax isn't regressive, it's not the method by which we solve climate change. what solves climate change is properly pricing externalities into existing markets (or destroying those markets and replacing them with a system that does)

If we took elon musk and chopped him up and gave all his money to a thousand starving homeless people they absolutely will generate vastly more carbon than he did even if you include taxes. (unless you mean taxes so high they can't have houses or food still in which case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Making people not poor is good and moral and the right thing to do but a stinker for helping the climate. You basically have to solve the climate problem then account that also solving poverty makes it even harder to solve. Still should do it, but poor people use very little resources and making them not poor makes that stop

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Making people not poor is good and moral and the right thing to do but a stinker for helping the climate. You basically have to solve the climate problem then account that also solving poverty makes it even harder to solve. Still should do it, but poor people use very little resources and making them not poor makes that stop

funny how you'll defend your right to airplanes but when it comes to giving the global (and local) poor shelter, food, access to medical care, education, etc it's a step too far

and no, "solving" the climate problem doesn't matter if we do it by keeping billions in poverty

like yeah we have to solve both problems, no loving duh. maybe try offering solutions other than clogging up the the thread with "where is this fabulous train that can replace airplanes?!" like anyone should give two fucks about the global rich's right to "finding themselves" through the magic of international tourism

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 18, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thug Lessons posted:

Honestly I find this baffling. Do you really believe the actual science on tipping points has little to no relevance to a discussion of tipping points? Every single one of them?
Obviously the science is relevant when discussing tipping points - my point is that discussing the tipping points themselves is a sidetrack, because their relevance to climate change solutions can be summed up as "We don't know, but they might really gently caress us up" with the followup of "So let's err on the side of caution".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

self unaware posted:

funny how you'll defend your right to airplanes but when it comes to giving the global (and local) poor shelter, food, access to medical care, education, etc it's a step too far

Funny that you can't imagine that something can be good and moral and also harmful to the environment. A carbon tax that made less people poor is good because it makes less people poor but it's not gonna reduce carbon any.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 18, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Obviously the science is relevant when discussing tipping points - my point is that discussing the tipping points themselves is a sidetrack, because their relevance to climate change solutions can be summed up as "We don't know, but they might really gently caress us up" with the followup of "So let's err on the side of caution".

The more you can ground those assertions in actual science, the better your case will be for action. A potential tipping point that's purely hypothetical, consigned to the far future or an extreme warming scenario, or simply seems unlikely to occur, is less relevant to climate solutions than something like the collapse of the WAIS which may be beginning right now. I really do not understand the desire to divorce this issue from the actual science and rely purely on an axiomatic principle that it's preferable to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Funny that you can't imagine that something can be good and moral and also harmful to the environment.
funny that you can't imagine something you enjoy as a member of the richest 1% of humans on earth might not be the best behavior to normalize.

ill leave it as an exercise for you to figure out the difference between giving homeless people homes and you flying around the world to pet cats and why it might make sense to do the former and restrict the latter even if the carbon costs of the former are higher

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anything that fundamentally alters the ability of future humans to engage with our Earth in a meaningful, sustainable way is immoral. Nothing funny about it. Let's face it though, it doesn't matter if kids in the future don't know what a forest is as long as some rear end in a top hat can pet his fuckin' cats.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I legitimately and unironically feel super bad for people who have so little connection with the natural world that they're willing to write it off with nary an afterthought. It's like a bunch of incels talking about women.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
a carbon tax that helped end poverty would net increase the carbon in the air.

Carbon isn't some physical manifestation of sin, good actions don't reduce it and bad actions don't increase it, something can be bad and decrease it or good and increase it. If we make a carbon tax that helps poor people that is cool, but someone else still needs to fix climate change while that carbon tax makes the issue worse.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

a carbon tax that helped end poverty would net increase the carbon in the air.

it's almost as if

self unaware posted:

but yes, keep going on about how poverty is good for the climate so we can't possibly ameliorate it, im sure that will win you lots of friends here while you simultaneously defend the excesses of the 1% on completely absurd grounds. it's almost as if you're a winner in today's world and preserving that spot is more important than trying to bring about economic and ecological justice.

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 18, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

self unaware posted:

but yes, keep going on about how poverty is good for the climate so we can't possibly ameliorate it,

We should ameliorate it. It also has great potential it will be bad for the environment. Both things can be true at once.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Carbon taxes help the environment by forcing externalities to be accounted for by the system, increasing costs which in turn result in a curbing of consumption and incentive for higher efficiency and investment in alternatives.

This is true regardless of where the tax money goes (unless it's funneled directly back into carbon). Investing it in sustainable development for the impoverished isn't the most efficient use if the goal is the absolute reduction of emissions, but it's not a net negative - at worst, it's a redistribution.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thug Lessons posted:

The more you can ground those assertions in actual science, the better your case will be for action. A potential tipping point that's purely hypothetical, consigned to the far future or an extreme warming scenario, or simply seems unlikely to occur, is less relevant to climate solutions than something like the collapse of the WAIS which may be beginning right now. I really do not understand the desire to divorce this issue from the actual science and rely purely on an axiomatic principle that it's preferable to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
The reasoning is that the discussion of these issues at a level of precision not warranted by the level of certainty we can produce, makes no sense at all. I think a lot of the people responding to you are seeing you want to take the discussion back to "But how bad is it gonna be" rather than "We have to prepare for the worst, so what's the best way to go about that?" Getting bogged down in details on how big the problem might be +-200% is a huge waste of time, even for an internet discussion.

If we're talking specific solutions, then absolutely, bring the science in. We might not know the exact effect of different levels of CO2-concentration in the atmosphere, but it's relatively simple to compare the sequestering ability of various solution vs. their costs. Climate mitigation strategies are a bit more varied in terms of the science - some are essentially just what we do now but more, others require a bit more thinking, but of course science and technical knowledge is also relevant here.

Thug Lessons posted:

A potential tipping point that's purely hypothetical
Yeah, I don't see this as being anywhere near as big a mark against the precautionary principle as you seem to. Any given specific hypothetical trigger might be unlikely, but the hypothetical existence of any kind of unknown trigger is very very different.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Carbon taxes help the environment by forcing externalities to be accounted for by the system, increasing costs which in turn result in a curbing of consumption and incentive for higher efficiency and investment in alternatives.

This is true regardless of where the tax money goes (unless it's funneled directly back into carbon). Investing it in sustainable development for the impoverished isn't the most efficient use if the goal is the absolute reduction of emissions, but it's not a net negative - at worst, it's a redistribution.
If you spend the money on non-externality things in what sense has the externalities been accounted for? Like if you say "Drunk driving is an externality of alcohol sales and causes a million dollars of damage a year, therefore we will enact an alcohol tax to raise a million dollars a year to spend on solar power" you've likely reduced alcohol consumption and improved power generation, which is nice, but you've in no way accounted for damages caused by drunk driving.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

In your example? You've reduced drunk driving by diminishing alcohol consumption.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
OOCC, do you really fly around the world to pet cats or is that hyperbole?

Do you enjoy travel and make a point of petting cats along the way?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

In your example? You've reduced drunk driving by diminishing alcohol consumption.
Reduced sure, "accounted for" definitely not, there's 900k (or whatever) of damage related to drunk driving that is unaccounted.
edit:
This use of language is bizarre to me. If there's a factory that polluting and the pollution causes a million dollars of damage, so you charge the factory a million dollars and then spend it on hamburgers, you can't possibly claim to be accounting for an externality. You're just applying a fine. Which is good, fines should exist, they are just doing something other than accounting for externalities.

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 18, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is reason to believe that global warming increases hurricanes but I don't think anyone specifically links it with tornadoes. Here is a graph of "violent" (F4+) torandos and it hasn't gone up or down or anything as the world has warmed, tornados just kinda happen at a dice roll

http://www.ustornadoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/violent_tornadoes_by_year.gif

A relative of mine is a meteorologist/climatologist.

He says frequency of hurricanes isn’t driven by CC but intensity is.

Tornadoes are more complex but the energy in the gulf may be driving us toward more F4 and F5 storms.

Back to hurricanes, it’s just a matter of time before we have a megastorm hit a major US metro and really do damage.

Maybe then we’ll see legal consequences to paid deniers who knew they were lying. See Exxon for example.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

Reduced sure, "accounted for" definitely not, there's 900k (or whatever) of damage related to drunk driving that is unaccounted.
edit:
This use of language is bizarre to me. If there's a factory that polluting and the pollution causes a million dollars of damage, so you charge the factory a million dollars and then spend it on hamburgers, you can't possibly claim to be accounting for an externality. You're just applying a fine. Which is good, fines should exist, they are just doing something other than accounting for externalities.

the point is to establish a cost of carbon to society. what we do with that money does matter but even if we just burned it in a trash fire it would still work to make emitting carbon more expensive than it is now, which is the goal. you could argue that anti-poverty measures work to increase carbon so in my specific example it would kind of be counterproductive, but like I said, it's more of a strategy to get buy-in from the populace at large than it is an ideal arrangement.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
how loving stupid do you have to be to not realize that re-distributing pollution externalities to the poor can be done in a way that is green....
low emission medium density homes
public transportation
give everyone a free loving bike
make vegetables free as gently caress
build greenhouses and grow free-rear end vegetables and hire poor-rear end people.
build loving windmills in poor-rear end places.

I like how the alternative to re-distribution requires that we keep poor people poor, otherwise they'll emit too much lol

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

self unaware posted:

the point is to establish a cost of carbon to society. what we do with that money does matter but even if we just burned it in a trash fire it would still work to make emitting carbon more expensive than it is now, which is the goal. you could argue that anti-poverty measures work to increase carbon so in my specific example it would kind of be counterproductive, but like I said, it's more of a strategy to get buy-in from the populace at large than it is an ideal arrangement.
That's fine, it's just that if this is your goal, there's no reason to link the price of the carbon tax to any concept of externality.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

That's fine, it's just that if this is your goal, there's no reason to link the price of the carbon tax to any concept of externality.

to be fair i never claimed to be accounting for an exernality, only putting a price on it. society will need to account for it, but an individual tax doesn't

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

self unaware posted:

to be fair i never claimed to be accounting for an exernality, only putting a price on it. society will need to account for it, but an individual tax doesn't
Yes this is why your plan is dumb. You want a carbon tax, ok that's good. You want to spend the money the carbon tax raises on helping poor people, ok that's weird and seems to be ignoring the fact that money is fungible so only an idiot would think this is any different from having a carbon tax and also helping poor people out of general funds, but sure lots of idiots exist so maybe this is politically necessary, fine, it's hard to be upset at helping people in need. Then you want to set the price of the carbon tax at the price of emitting carbon for ??? If the tax is for helping the poor you need to figure out how much money you want to spend on helping the poor and set the price of the carbon tax so it raises that much money, not hope that the price of "carbon emission" and the price of "poor people need help" magically align.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The carbon tax funds should be removed from the money supply.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

Yes this is why your plan is dumb. You want a carbon tax, ok that's good. You want to spend the money the carbon tax raises on helping poor people, ok that's weird and seems to be ignoring the fact that money is fungible so only an idiot would think this is any different from having a carbon tax and also helping poor people out of general funds, but sure lots of idiots exist so maybe this is politically necessary, fine, it's hard to be upset at helping people in need. Then you want to set the price of the carbon tax at the price of emitting carbon for ??? If the tax is for helping the poor you need to figure out how much money you want to spend on helping the poor and set the price of the carbon tax so it raises that much money, not hope that the price of "carbon emission" and the price of "poor people need help" magically align.

alright heard loud and clear i don't really agree with this "the bill must solve both problems at once or it's bad" premise but to each his own

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

twodot posted:

twodot posted:

Christ, do you not understand what an externality is? You're getting caught up in some really weird semantics.

Here, I'll try to break things down for you:

- Carbon emissions have a negative economic impact due to long-term environmental damage.
- As things currently stand, this economic impact isn't properly taken into account while pricing fossil fuels - essentially, the whole population is subsidizing carbon, as the True Cost of its use is offloaded worldwide and to future generations.
- This is an externality - an effect that isn't being taken into consideration by the capitalist system.
- So, governments put a value on this impact, which is added to the costs of using carbon.
- This is a Tax, because it's money the government is taking from private industry and consumers.
- Suddenly, the long-term impact of Carbon Emissions isn't an externality any more, because the socioeconomic system is being forced to process it (by assigning a value to it).
- And get this: the money the governments are getting from implementing these Carbon Taxes? They need not be earmarked for any specific thing, because by the mere virtue of existing, the Carbon Tax is already tackling the problem of emissions.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The reasoning is that the discussion of these issues at a level of precision not warranted by the level of certainty we can produce, makes no sense at all.

According to who? Which climate scientists are you following here who advance this view? And by what standard? What specific level of precision do you need? And does this apply to all tipping points equally? I get the impression you are making up an arbitrary and self-serving standard as you go along.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

call to action posted:

Anything that fundamentally alters the ability of future humans to engage with our Earth in a meaningful, sustainable way is immoral. Nothing funny about it. Let's face it though, it doesn't matter if kids in the future don't know what a forest is as long as some rear end in a top hat can pet his fuckin' cats.

Just to briefly interrupt your clueless ranting: forests are becoming more robust and biomass is expanding as a result of increased CO2. Warmer temperatures will also allow increased forest cover at higher elevations and higher/lower latitudes. This will eventually lead to more animal life as food sources expand.

OK, carry on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arkane posted:

Just to briefly interrupt your clueless ranting: forests are becoming more robust and biomass is expanding as a result of increased CO2. Warmer temperatures will also allow increased forest cover at higher elevations and higher/lower latitudes. This will eventually lead to more animal life as food sources expand.

OK, carry on.

More greenery doesn't mean more robust forests, particularly in light of shifting biomes decimating existing biodiversity. What you linked doesn't even talk about this at all, in fact.

Increased CO2 certainly stimulates growth in C4 plants, but this might not be at all desirable, particularly in regards to vital crops showing a reduction in nutrient value despite the increased biomass, and with pest/invasive species also benefiting from it.

It doesn't help anyone if the planet gets more green because it's covered in loving weeds.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Conspiratiorist posted:

Christ, do you not understand what an externality is? You're getting caught up in some really weird semantics.

- Carbon emissions have a negative economic impact due to long-term environmental damage.
- As things currently stand, this economic impact isn't properly taken into account while pricing fossil fuels - essentially, the whole population is subsidizing carbon, as the True Cost of its use is offloaded worldwide and to future generations.
- This is an externality - an effect that isn't being taken into consideration by the capitalist system.
- So, governments put a value on this impact, which is added to the costs of using carbon.
- This is a Tax, because it's money the government is taking from private industry and consumers.
- Suddenly, the long-term impact of Carbon Emissions isn't an externality any more, because the socioeconomic system is being forced to process it (by assigning a value to it).
- And get this: the money the governments are getting from implementing these Carbon Taxes? They need not be earmarked for any specific thing, because by the mere virtue of existing, the Carbon Tax is already tackling the problem of emissions.

Alright so the US is about 14% of worldwide carbon emissions, and our carbon emissions peaked over a decade ago with continued drops since then (about 1% per annum, and faster than that on a per capita basis and per GDP basis). What would be the goal of this tax that is not already happening without the tax?

You could push for faster drops, perhaps 5% per annum on an absolute basis, but the environmental payoff for whatever that costs economically would be extremely small on a planet scale. And you have no guarantees that this might not just happen anyway without your tax.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It makes sense if you imagine a world where warming is happening fast and it's bad, and increased atmospheric carbon is leading to ocean acidification which is also bad, and where a large factor of emissions peaking in individual developed nations is due to offloading manufacture elsewhere in the world.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah but it's also a terrifyingly regressive tax so you have to decide between 'super gently caress poor people forever" or "actually lets not have it reflect the actual externality or even come close after all".

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah but it's also a terrifyingly regressive tax so you have to decide between 'super gently caress poor people forever" or "actually lets not have it reflect the actual externality or even come close after all".

What if you temper the negative effects it'd have on the bottom quintile through investments in low emissions medium-density homes and public transportation?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
oh come on with the dramatics how is it "terrifyingly regressive", this is essentially a sales tax on many items, but by far the corporations are going to be the biggest hit by a carbon tax, and by extension, the rich

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

self unaware posted:

oh come on with the dramatics how is it "terrifyingly regressive", this is essentially a sales tax on many items, but by far the corporations are going to be the biggest hit by a carbon tax, and by extension, the rich

A sales tax on food, transportation and heat and electricity would be just about the most regressive tax someone could design.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A sales tax on food, transportation and heat and electricity would be just about the most regressive tax someone could design.

its not just on those things though, and it doesn't *have* to be regressive if you offset the impact on the poor by redistributing parts or all of the tax to them through whatever means you like

if there was a way to implement a progressive tax where every person is allocated carbon every year than sure i'd go for that, but it's not feasible given our economic systems

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

It turns out you do not know what an externality is. It doesn't matter if gasoline burners are paying the true cost of gasoline, they are still pushing costs on me that I did not choose. The only way to remove the externality is to spend money to remove the cost that is placed on me without my choice.