Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

You said in that same post that you harbor spite for gun owners as people. It's hard to take you seriously when when you say that you would vote to spite people (but that's OK lol, because you haven't been able to do it... yet...) and then say you want to have a discussion in good faith.

Gun ownership is a choice you stupid gently caress, and not one that has a measurable impact on the quality of your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bluh bluh illegally immigrsting is a choice too bluh bluh shut the gently caress up

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

botany posted:

like, i realize that this is obviously a caricature of right-wing pundits, but in all honesty: i'm just tired of reading it. it's gross when they do it and it's gross when we pretend to be them for laughs. 10 kids died today. reading comments like this one, whether heart-felt or not, is just so emotionally draining.

i don't know, maybe this is just me. :smith:

it’s tough for me to not get bitter with anger and despair

i empathize with you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Gun ownership is a choice you stupid gently caress, and not one that has a measurable impact on the quality of your life

The funniest poo poo about Dead Reckoning's post is how he interprets concern over the state of gun violence in America as spite for gun owners. He sees an attempt to reduce the homicide/suicide rate as a personal affront to gun owners, because having to buy a gun safe and go to yearly training is just too high of a cost for saving any lives

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Augh, you filthy gun-grabbers just hate gun-nuts because they keep killing innocent people! You disgust me!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The funniest poo poo about Dead Reckoning's post is how he interprets concern over the state of gun violence in America as spite for gun owners.

khwarezm posted:

I'm fully prepared to say that I harbor vast amounts of spite towards people who think that their useless toys are more important than human lives.
:thunk:

QuarkJets posted:

He sees an attempt to reduce the homicide/suicide rate as a personal affront to gun owners, because having to buy a gun safe and go to yearly training is just too high of a cost for saving any lives
One, proposals tend to whiplash between "I just want people to have to jump through more hoops to buy a gun" and "I can't wait to see all guns melted down and destroyed (except for the ones the state needs to confiscate guns from private citizens) while all the gun nuts cry" so please don't attribute positions to me when you can just ask for my opinion on things, and two, why do you think mandatory training is going to stop people from doing crimes/school shootings/suicides?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dead Reckoning posted:

One, proposals tend to whiplash between "I just want people to have to jump through more hoops to buy a gun" and "I can't wait to see all guns melted down and destroyed (except for the ones the state needs to confiscate guns from private citizens) while all the gun nuts cry" so please don't attribute positions to me when you can just ask for my opinion on things, and two, why do you think mandatory training is going to stop people from doing crimes/school shootings/suicides?

"I am confused by all your fancy regulations and also they don't do anything"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

i consider you a garbage person because of your words and deeds and your obsession with your murder toys

you think that's spite but that is a judgment of your character that is, if anything, much too merciful. you are a bad person, you should be treated like a bad person, and we should all understand that you and your ilk are directly responsible for this murder spree and all the others

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mommy the mean people are calling me a bad person because i consider my idiot toys more important than a few dead kids

they're so spiteful

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

exactly how many cops (that's "the state", btw, it isn't going to be THE LIBS knocking on your door) are you willing to shoot to keep them from lawfully taking your now-illegal gun after the 2nd is repealed, because if the number is zero then the gun wasn't protecting you anyway and if it's more than zero you're the kind of person who puts their property rights and choice of hobby over the safety of others & therefore shouldn't have a gun.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

"I am confused by all your fancy regulations and also they don't do anything"
I'd suggest that the people who are most strident in their calls for more gun control are the least knowledgeable about current gun regulations. I also don't see any reason to support further regulation when the proponents of that regulation can't even explain how it is supposed to achieve their purported goals.

evilweasel posted:

i consider you a garbage person because of your words and deeds and your obsession with your murder toys

you think that's spite but that is a judgment of your character that is, if anything, much too merciful. you are a bad person, you should be treated like a bad person, and we should all understand that you and your ilk are directly responsible for this murder spree and all the others
What particular deeds? Disagreeing with you? I'm no more responsible for other people who do bad things with guns than someone who refuses to support alcohol prohibition is responsible DUI deaths. Your main complaint seems to be that I won't roll over in the face of you being outraged by something.

evilweasel posted:

huh dumb reckoning is trying to dismiss actual statistics by people who know what they're doing based on his own say-so again, let's all listen to what is surely a reasoned and intelligent opinion
So a high school student posted a cherry-picked statistic on Twitter, and a poster ITT mistakenly applied it to the whole population. Remind me again, which one is the expert that I'm allegedly ignoring?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd suggest that the people who are most strident in their calls for more gun control are the least knowledgeable about current gun regulations. I also don't see any reason to support further regulation when the proponents of that regulation can't even explain how it is supposed to achieve their purported goals.

Hahahahahaha you are a serious piece of poo poo.

People have gone in great depth, you just don't care and dismiss it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Hahahahahaha you are a serious piece of poo poo.

People have gone in great depth, you just don't care and dismiss it.
Would you countenance a restriction on your right to privacy in the name of public safety if you thought it was nothing but security theater?

How is asking questions like, "what is this supposed to accomplish?" or, "doesn't this seem inconsistent with the way we treat other public harms?" being dismissive?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Would you countenance a restriction on your right to privacy in the name of public safety if you thought it was nothing but security theater?

Would you reject actual solutions and data if they don't fit into your worldview, because you feel that your hobby is more important than good for society?

clearly, yes

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

right to privacy, a thing that is equivalent to right to GUN

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

stone cold posted:

right to privacy, a thing that is equivalent to right to GUN
The right to gun is enumerated tho

Privacy is a chump right

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The right to gun is enumerated tho

Privacy is a chump right

No, there is no right to gun. Have a nice day.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

How is asking questions like, "what is this supposed to accomplish?" or, "doesn't this seem inconsistent with the way we treat other public harms?" being dismissive?

On the other hand, making it harder to get guns demonstrably makes it harder to get guns

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

fishmech posted:

No, there is no right to gun. Have a nice day.
There is.

Have a blessed weekend.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dead Reckoning posted:

How is waving to us from your hill and saying "right here, this is the hill I want to die on, yes even today with all the dead kids and poo poo! I want to die here! I WANT TO DIEEE" being productive?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Dead Reckoning posted:

The problem of course is you are using your feelings. Ya no poo poo gun havers "feel" gun control proposals are bullshit, but their feelings on the matter aren't rational. As long as the bar is just "someone feels it will be useless" then we will never get anything done.

The data overwhelmingly shows that the US current paradigm for gun control is ineffective.

The constitution and SCOTUS have also been clear that regulation of firearms is fine. So maybe we can quit bellyaching and suggesting the constitution necessitates unfettered access to guns.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Go read the first reply in this thread lol

Suggesting this was ever a good thread is the baddest faith argument.

Hey thanks, I worked hard to make sure the proper tone was set for *fart*

In this hour of tragedy, we must concentrate on what really matters: The fate of the poor gonne used in texas today.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sooner or later someone like me is going to get enough power to take all the guns away.

They will probably listen to some classical music first.

Then they will take Dead Reckoning's gun and only his and make him watch in clockwork Orange regalia as over 80 billion dollars is spent to make a rail gun specifically to shoot his gun into the center of Sol.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Hey, let's just say you do have RIGHT TO GUN. With that as the frame here, why will you not be willing your re-examine your right? To save children who publicly marched in many hundreds of thousands to say "perhaps be sensible about your rights, and please stop letting us die?"

e- I have THE RIGHT to go around in public, in a bone-chilling blizzard wearing only short pants and nothing else. However.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 19, 2018

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

Public harm, you say

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"Ah-hah, I'll quote this post that perfectly illustrates his point! He'll be so owned" - Dead Reckoning

My dude if stamp collecting kept leading to massive sprees of stamp-based murders over and over then people would start demanding more regulation be applied toward stamp collectors. What you don't seem to get is that it's not spite toward people for simply liking guns, it's spite for valuing their liking of guns over the lives of others.

A bunch of children get blasted away by a dude with a gun and your first thought isn't "how do we prevent this from happening again", it's "how do I make sure that my toys don't get taken away"

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 19, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dead reckoning has been making the "inevitable legislative response" post for years

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
dead reckoning should have been permabanned for years

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

botany posted:

dead reckoning should have been permabanned for years

or dead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sean10mm posted:

Side note, gun nuts HATE THE gently caress out of these people, google "fudd" to see what I mean. They blame them for the 1994 AWB passing, among other things.
1994 AWB was a huge waste, much like the democratic party.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

And of course DR kramers in with only the hottest of takes that what we're doing is fine and everything is fine while 8 (10? I can't keep track of this poo poo anymore) kids are getting cold on a slab.

Here, lemme dig something up real quick:

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You want concessions but concessions need leverage, and gun nuts have no leverage anymore. There aren't enough people willing to fight for gun nuts to overcome this wave, there aren't enough people who believe that at least common sense gun control will work, and there isn't a psychologist on the planet who wouldn't consider someone who kramers in to tell people to use the right terminology when someone kills 20 people with an AR to have sociopathic tendencies. The insanity they've been engaged in over the past couple decades has ensured a massive upswell in young people who are not willing to drop gun control anymore because our schools aren't safe and that's loving wrong in the richest nation on the planet.

The concession gun nuts can get is you can keep your hunting rifles and airsoft guns because gently caress you we're done and you can't stop us anymore.

and I really have to believe this will happen at some point in the relatively near future because if it doesn't then gently caress us all.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It won't sorry

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Just like gay marriage right?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean gun control passed in 1994 in spite of more right wing Democrats and more households owning a gun. The NRA and Republicans were crazy then too.

It was a weak compromise mess but still.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

Just like gay marriage right?

You're right those two things are absolutely the same

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

You're right those two things are absolutely the same

They're both things that a minority of conservatives have said will never ever happen

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

gun sales can only go through dealers, disarm people that make threats of violence, commit domestic violence etc, require a gun safety course before someone can buy a gun, require safe storage, man slaughter charges for parents that leave guns around for their 4chan son to shoot up schools with, have the ATF find their god drat nuts and crack down on bumpstocks, binary triggers, pistols that have an arm brace instead of a buttstock and thus are totally not illegal short barrel rifles and all the other clever ways people have to get around machine guns and short barrel rifle laws, stop doing feature bans at the state/city level, outlaw pistol purchases without a concealed carry permit, have a national standard for concealed carry permit (in states like georgia you pay :10bux:x5 and get it in the mail a month later) allow law enforcement to track guns and the FDC to research gun violence

States like california doing feature bans makes it harder for other states/the federal government to regulate guns. Gun laws like what California has isn't going to happen anytime soon in 35/50 states, but better regulation would be easier to push through if Republicans didn't have California to screech about

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 19, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

also DR has been told he can't post in the gip current events thread without getting banned I don't know why you nerds haven't learned yet

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

but better regulation would be easier to push through if Republicans didn't have California to screech about

has such a thing ever happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Polygynous posted:

has such a thing ever happened

Republicans use the clinton magazine ban and California gun laws as proof that any gun regulation is democrats coming to take their guns.

• Locked thread