Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Did y'all all scoff at the end of IW too, knowing the deaths would be rolled back

Literally the worst part of an otherwise great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Knowing deaths will be undone doesn't have to take away from the emotional impact of the event. Like in IW even though we know Spider-Man's returning Tony doesn't so we can still feel the weight of his loss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Knowing deaths will be undone doesn't have to take away from the emotional impact of the event. Like in IW even though we know Spider-Man's returning Tony doesn't so we can still feel the weight of his loss.

Nah I read the dirt sheets so I know thar Seth Rollins is signed through 2020 so this him getting fired storyline is just for the marks. I know better than to enjoy things

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rarity posted:

I didn't feel the weight of poo poo from that movie, but also I've grown profoundly tired of the majority of Marvel movies and only saw IW because I have MoviePass, was bored and hate myself :haw:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like, you get how ridiculous it is in the context of LOTR, which were based on, you know, already existing books. Did y'all hate those movies too, knowing who would and wouldn't die before hand

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they will Smallville-Jimmy Olsen Aragorn. The character we come to know over three seasons will be revealed to be his older brother.

Or William Adama in Caprica.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
listening to the 327pages podcast and Mike Nelson claims to have never seen the film War Games

...the gently caress???

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sirotan posted:

If you read through that whole thread, it turns out there's all of 11 pages of appendices that cover 'young Aragorn' in all of Tolkein's published works. Considering the guy is ~150 years old at the events of Lord of the Rings, I really really really really hope they don't go for some YA angle here.

I hope they try to show a budding romance between 2700-year-old Liv Tyler Arwen and 20-y-o young Aragorn, particularly the bit about her being his cousin (a few times removed).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Colony thoughts after S02E08:

Hahaha get hosed brainwashed nanny

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NOwaiXqqA&t=98s

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My kids (well the youngest is 18) have been watching True Detective season 1. I walked by and episode 4 was on, so I had to watch it with them. The whole biker bar to the stash house last half of it is still amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Proooobably avoid the watching the famous Alexandria Daddario episode with them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Argue posted:

As bad as the original Charmed was, the new one is being helmed by Jane the Virgin showrunner Jenny Snyder Urman, so that earns it at the very least a ~5 episode test from me.
I found some Charmed paperback tie-in novels at Goodwill and handed them out last Christmas. They're amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Saw a piece today where everyone in the Arrested Development cast and crew said uncategorically they support Jeffrey Tambor. Alia Shawkat was the only one who pretty much said it's a complex situation and we shouldn't discount what people have said just because the accused is a friend.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

I found some Charmed paperback tie-in novels at Goodwill and handed them out last Christmas. They're amazing.

Oh no I forgot about them!! I read so many of those as a preteen. They really were something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Saw a piece today where everyone in the Arrested Development cast and crew said uncategorically they support Jeffrey Tambor. Alia Shawkat was the only one who pretty much said it's a complex situation and we shouldn't discount what people have said just because the accused is a friend.

Here's the bit that Engadget had.

quote:

"We were done shooting — there was no version of cutting him out of the show, or there would be no show," Hurwitz told Entertainment Weekly. "Am I going to cut Jeffrey out of the show, based on allegations that he disputes, that Amazon hasn't shared, and that we have never experienced any complaints about? No, of course I am not going to.... I'm going to support Jeffrey."

Hurwitz admitted that the actor could be 'difficult' and 'a grump' but had never seen Tambor demonstrate the harassment he was accused of. Nor, it seems, had Netflix or 20th Century Fox Television when the showrunner checked with them. Several members of the cast have backed the actor: Will Arnett and Tony Hale supported Tambor when asked by Entertainment Weekly, while Jason Bateman and David Cross had previously vouched for him.

Actress Jessica Walter, the on-screen wife of Tambor's character, said she is 'still processing' an incident where the actor blew up at her on the fifth season set, she had not seen him cross the line into sexual harassment. But she asserted that: ""I have great empathy for the courage of people who feel they have been harassed in any form speaking out — and sympathy for people who have been unjustly accused," she says. "It's a very difficult situation for everyone involved."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a lot simpler when the dudes just fess up

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zoux posted:

Nah I read the dirt sheets so I know thar Seth Rollins is signed through 2020 so this him getting fired storyline is just for the marks. I know better than to enjoy things

Yeah i'm privy to insider Hollywood gossip that the general public don't know so i was aware another Spider-Man film and black panther film was in the works, i assume most people didn't realise this so the ending had more impact

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally the worst part of an otherwise great movie.

Don't watch Batman v Superman either

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's easier when it's systemic with a long history. I have no doubt Tambor believes what he is saying. I also have no doubt something happened with Transparent beyond what the AD cast has seen Tambor behave.

You can't disbelieve victims. I can understand long term friends standing behind someone when they don't have first hand experience of anything close to that behavior though.

Doubt the guy is going to get much new work at this point regardless.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Mel Gibson can beat up his wife and have Hollywood accept him again then I think anything can happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Davros1 posted:

Oh believe me, I have absolutely no intention of it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

zoux posted:

Friends, what's the first show that you loved that was cancelled unjustly, leading you to mistrust and hate network executives?

John from Cincinnati

But I still trust HBO.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Matt Zerella posted:

John from Cincinnati

But I still trust HBO.

Carnivale I think was the first time a cancellation pissed me off. That said I did actually send a physical letter to Chris Albrecht of HBO telling him if The Wire was canceled I would never subscribe (this was after season 3) to HBO again, but if they renewed it I would subscribe for life. So far I’ve kept my promise.

Edit: I’m still pissed about Deadwood.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah i'm privy to insider Hollywood gossip that the general public don't know so i was aware another Spider-Man film and black panther film was in the works, i assume most people didn't realise this so the ending had more impact

Wikipedia is also privy to this information.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did I post this one? Because jesus

The Kids Are Alright
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUfrKU_WdWY

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

I just watched the Magnum PI trailer and got very cynical. How do you gently caress up an easy concept that bad?

I could smell the stink of the H50 reboot all over it from the first couple seconds where all the characters were introduced as marine ranger seal supermen sharing stories about parachuting into North Korea, so it wasn't at all a surprise when later in the trailer they showed a crossover and said it was made by the same people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pursuant to Colony also, has there ever been a show that added Toby Huss and got worse because of it? That man is a delight in every role I've ever seen him in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Yeah and that's the exact problem.

Friends, what's the first show that you loved that was cancelled unjustly, leading you to mistrust and hate network executives?

Eerie Indiana.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah and that's the exact problem.

Sort of the opposite for me. When I was like 13 I got really into the first season of Eureka. The actual season was a mixed bag but the finale was fantastic, and I stand by it. But Season 2 sucked. It really sucked. The writers clearly had no idea what to do with their show. I kept hoping it would be canceled so the people that had made the show I liked could do something else. But SyFy just let it keep going, like they didn't care if it was good.

I expect we'll hear similar stories from teenage Flash fans in a decade or so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Davros1 posted:

That's just good advice in general.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
At this point the Marvel Cinematic Universe is over a decade old and is responsible for some of the highest-grossing films of all time, several of which the internet was convinced were going to finally be the big bomb that killed the comic book movie "fad" which has been running for like two decades at this point. At some point you just have to accept that it's not for you.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

precision posted:

Pursuant to Colony also, has there ever been a show that added Toby Huss and got worse because of it? That man is a delight in every role I've ever seen him in.

Despite my crush for Lee Pace, I was extremely cynical about Halt and Catch Fire Season 1 due to its blatant attempt to be the "new Mad Men" but Toby Huss' performance kept me coming back. It also helps that the show rapidly improved between S1 and S2 and expanded Huss' role, too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope in the series finale of God Friended Me his "videogame enthusiast" friend finally tracks down God's IP address and it turns out to be localhost

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bull3964 posted:

It's easier when it's systemic with a long history. I have no doubt Tambor believes what he is saying. I also have no doubt something happened with Transparent beyond what the AD cast has seen Tambor behave.

You can't disbelieve victims. I can understand long term friends standing behind someone when they don't have first hand experience of anything close to that behavior though.

Doubt the guy is going to get much new work at this point regardless.

This is basically similar to what happened with Franco on THE DEUCE. They asked literally everyone involved in the production if he exhibited any of that behaviour and it was a no across the board. I believe they also allowed people to answer anonymously in case they were worried about any blow black from it.

It seems like Tambor crossed lines on TRANSPARENT, but hasn't done it elsewhere. As a production, it's easier to justify keeping him on when you can say that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

: wrong thread

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 19, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

I could smell the stink of the H50 reboot all over it from the first couple seconds where all the characters were introduced as marine ranger seal supermen sharing stories about parachuting into North Korea, so it wasn't at all a surprise when later in the trailer they showed a crossover and said it was made by the same people.

The H50 reboot coming back for season 9 you mean? they know what they're doing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally got around to starting Lost in Space. After the first 2 eps, it seems fine but nothing is pulling me in, not even like Altered Carbon. Does it get better?

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Josh Lyman posted:

Finally got around to starting Lost in Space. After the first 2 eps, it seems fine but nothing is pulling me in, not even like Altered Carbon. Does it get better?

Not really, or at least I didn't remember anything standing out besides Parker Posey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think for a while the official explanation for how Alfred entered Bruce Wayne's service was that he had been in the army during the war, then he went on to become an acclaimed Shakespearean actor on the West End, until his father summoned him to his deathbed and said, "Alfred, you are the last Pennyworth, and the Pennyworths have always been a proud line of butlers! You must go to America and find someone with a mansion you can dust!" and he did.

Yes, I assumed that was still the case? Did they change it? Because if so good, because gently caress that servile bullshit.

muscles like this! posted:

The Gotham explanation for how it happened was that Thomas Wayne saved Alfred's life after he became a huge fuckup drunk due to PTSD so he feels a debt to the Wayne family that he doesn't think he can repay.

That works.