Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

thanks, i hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

as someone who has directly worked with various automotive companies, my only opinion is that Hyundai is the korean version of FCA and not in the good way

but their cars actually work?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

carry on then posted:

but their cars actually work?

this was not my experience

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all i know is if i walk up to the rental car lot and the row of cars includes chryslers and a hyundai i'm taking the hyundai

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they had a really bad reputation in the 90s & early 2000s

coke
Jul 12, 2009
yeah but now they have cameras from every factory being connected to the hq in corea to trouble shoot things in real time

imagine if there are an elon musk in every auto factory monitoring, improving and ensuring the production of quality product

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

🤔

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

coke posted:

yeah but now they have cameras from every factory being connected to the hq in corea to trouble shoot things in real time

imagine if there are an elon musk in every auto factory monitoring, improving and ensuring the production of quality product

lomarf car systems moving up in the world

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol it has krell brand speakers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lol it has krell brand speakers

is that a bad brand of speaker or something?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Is it bad that I really want one of these

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i'm trying to get the faces feature in photos to work on OSX, since it never really worked on my phone. I pulled down all the originals in my library to this new mbp and it happily scanned 700 photos a month ago and then stopped ever since. I don't really want to manually tag 40k photos so how do I kickstart it?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

i'm trying to get the faces feature in photos to work on OSX, since it never really worked on my phone. I pulled down all the originals in my library to this new mbp and it happily scanned 700 photos a month ago and then stopped ever since. I don't really want to manually tag 40k photos so how do I kickstart it?

with a flying elbow off the top rope

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Casual Encountess posted:

you should be able to just tag a few of each person and then it’ll be able to figure it out. and there’s a thing in there somewhere where it’ll show you the faces it’s not sure of or doesn’t recognize and you can manually tag them, which will help train it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

r u ready to WALK posted:

Is it bad that I really want one of these

Yes

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Doc Block posted:

you should be able to just tag a few of each person and then it’ll be able to figure it out. and there’s a thing in there somewhere where it’ll show you the faces it’s not sure of or doesn’t recognize and you can manually tag them, which will help train it.

the photos faces feature is not as smart as it thinks it is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

you have so many photos of the beer wizard your phone thinks you are best buds

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

it found a picture with a face in it

what’s the problem?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

same but dril at some point

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I imported a bunch of photos from.my camera into the photos app (the camera didn't appear as a drive for some reason, it does on my thinkpad) on our new macbook pro but when I click through them in fullscreen it shows a lower res version for what feels like up to a second. Shouldn't it be preloading the next photo for a smooth experience?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Also the printer doesn't work with the macbook "pro", so I have to send anything I want to print to either my thinkpad or an old chromebook.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

must be a lovely printer if cups doesn't support it out of the box

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

must be a lovely printer if cups doesn't support it out of the box

It is a lovely hp but both my thinkpad and an old Toshiba chromebook just work so I'm inclined to think it's an apple thing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

may try checking for system updates? i think cups drivers are downloaded as needed. it's there or as you add it you need to find the driver in the add panel

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so 1password released a new mac version and I'm so tempted to go to the sub service since i have a total of 6 devices in 4 platforms and don't feel like buying all those updates

is there anything egregiously silly about their storage versus my current dropbox sync? i figure the cost per platform and device equals about 3 - 4 years of paid updates so the cost seems alright for me to have the newer release on everything

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’d just like to chime in an say a big gently caress you to jony and phil. I’ve been setting up a new work environment and
1) my MacBook “Pro” is overheating just sitting on a desk powering two monitors
2) there is still no Mac Pro that is anywhere close to the performance I can get from a high end Linux workstation. if they made one that had half the perf and some drive and ram slots I would probably get it. and no, the iMac pro is not it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

Id just like to chime in an say a big gently caress you to jony and phil. Ive been setting up a new work environment and
1) my MacBook Pro is overheating just sitting on a desk powering two monitors
2) there is still no Mac Pro that is anywhere close to the performance I can get from a high end Linux workstation. if they made one that had half the perf and some drive and ram slots I would probably get it. and no, the iMac pro is not it.

build a hackintosh. it's the only way to get a true "mac pro"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

any rumors / leaks about wwdc hardware announcements? really hoping they don't just double down on the current lineup.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

build a hackintosh. it's the only way to get a true "mac pro"

epic thissery

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://sixcolors.com/post/2018/05/today-mac-os-x-is-as-old-as-the-classic-mac-os/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually osx is only like 4 years younger than the original mac os :eng101:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

can you imagine a mac with a proper cooling system

jony can't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a mac without thermal issues? i don't believe they exist

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

epic thissery

and it's not hard. just buy from the list of poo poo at this site and you're good to go.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/may/2018/#CustoMac_Pro

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is the state of hackintoshing better or worse than, say, the state of desktop Linux in 2012/15/18?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

I’d just like to chime in an say a big gently caress you to jony and phil. I’ve been setting up a new work environment and
1) my MacBook “Pro” is overheating just sitting on a desk powering two monitors

cool post from 15 years ago.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Is the state of hackintoshing better or worse than, say, the state of desktop Linux in 2012/15/18?

the end result is identical because its all just Linux on the desktop

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

It's way easier to get and install nvidia drivers for hackintosh than it is for linux.

Only problem I ever had was iMessage, but eventually got that working after spending an hour on the tonymac forums.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the end result is identical because its all just Linux on the desktop

No. Because macos actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol