Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Zore posted:

Yeah, shocking too since she originally debuted in the show X-Men: Evolution alongside other classic characters like Spyke- Storm's nephew with bone powers I guess.

He ever make the jump to comics?

Sort of... He was in X-Statix (with an "i", not a "y") and bears no resemblance to the cartoon version outside of being black and having a similar power set. Looking further Grant Morrison introduced another X-Man named spike but I can find almost nothing on him, outside of the fact that looked nothing like the other versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He was just a dude version of Marrow in the first place

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Starbrand is a New Universe character from the 80's. It's where the white event is from.

Thor: Gates of Valhalla was a really fun read. Thor's granddaughters snatch some of those time crystals from Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine, and go on a journey to meet Jane Foster, with some unintentional pit stops along the way. It's pretty clearly laid out that Jane will adventure again.

There's also a bad rear end panel of old king Thor fighting All Black Loki.

Still waiting for the dp7 cinematic universe... We need to see Scuzz in the big screen Marvel

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Starbrand is a New Universe character from the 80's. It's where the white event is from.

Though it's worth noting that Hickman's Starband takes a lot more from Warren Ellis' newuniversal version from the mid-00's than the original version.

Horrible Taste fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 17, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

purple death ray posted:

He was just a dude version of Marrow in the first place

Which made it kinda funny when they wrote him off the show and had Marrow show up to recruit him into the Morlocks. And then they quietly pretended Iceman was always the sixth man of the group.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Just passing by to remind that Nancy is still rocking it

Oh, and just in case you were wondering why the "fanbase" was so grumpy, well

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're also mad that she's de-sexified Aunt Fritzi

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Forged in the heart of a dying starcity.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Forged in the heart of a dying starcity.

drat what did Artie do?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

drat what did Artie do?

I never get tired of the dumb jokes about the letterers. :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Samuringa posted:

This comic gets me on a deeply personal level.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

This is a good one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

prefect posted:

I never get tired of the dumb jokes about the letterers. :allears:

"You're a goddamned STENOGRAPHER is what you are, Artie!!"

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

As a teacher myself, this one is way too real.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thorrrrrrrrrrr

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like that he swears by his own beard now that he's All-Father.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was trying to pinpoint what Nancy reminded me of, and I finally worked it out.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 18, 2018

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thorrrrrrrrrrr

I love his defeated little "Surely I do not grow up to become... my father."

We all do, Thor.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone sic SMG on the Nancy comments section, I want to see it truly go to hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

I like that he swears by his own beard now that he's All-Father.

Hercules used to do this all the time.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I was trying to pinpoint what Nancy reminded me of, and I finally worked it out.

This is my new favorite crossover.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Mafalda's the best. Quino rocks.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I thought Little Lulu might have been based on Nancy but apparently she's directly inspired by the comic strip character Henry (originally Lulu didn't speak). But Lulu was originally drawn as being really skinny and not very short, so she became more Nancy-like over time. Also she stopped doing things like this:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanos really sucks at keeping hold of the Infinity Gauntlet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Say Nothing posted:

I'm a big fan of the What If issue where Impossible Man got the Infinity Gauntlet by just snagging it out of midair as it was dropping between two peoples' hands.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does impossible man even need the infinity gauntlet

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Say Nothing posted:

Okay, but does he, or is Deadpool tricking him?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lurdiak posted:

Like you can poo poo on that show all you like, it honestly deserves it, but the voice cast was A+.

Hobgoblin: Luke Skywalker
War Machine: Uncle Phil
J. Jonah Jameson: Ed fuckin Asner
Shocker: Winnie the Pooh
Venom: Apu / Moe
Beyonder: The psychiatrist from the Terminator flicks
Rhino: Donna's dad from That 70s Show
Iron Man: pilot from Airplane!
Scorpion: Bull from Night Court, took over from Martin Landau
Tombstone: Guy from Full Metal Jacket refused by a Vietnamese hooker because his dong was too big
Baron Mordo: Tony the Tiger
Vulture: Green Acres
Randy Robertson: CARLTON BANKS
Jackal: Dr. Smith from Lost in Space
Felicia Hardy's mom: the whorish southerner Golden Girl
Wong: George Takei
Dr. Strange: Dean from Animal House

The show is actually really well done, for the most part, except:

- No one really .. punches anyone.
- No one dies or whatnot; they 'disappear'.
- Why is Doc Ock ripped?
- The animation is super cheap. There are entire sequences that are completely unintelligible because of animation recycling.
- The dialogue is sometimes good, sometimes decent, and sometimes cringey: "... my friend: IRON MAN!"
- Mary Jane is a bad character who should've been thrown off the bridge in the first episode

But then, Roscoe Lee Browne's Kingpin voice is perfect, and the choice to give Ock a German accent is an amazing touch. The score is loving outstanding.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Her name is Blanche :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That show was trash, just like the decade it aired in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Red posted:

My first thought was Kareem?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Red posted:

- Why is Doc Ock ripped?

Brand Synergy, James Cameron was developing a Spider-man movie at the time and Schwarzenegger was going to play Doc Ock. These plans fell through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

David D. Davidson posted:

Brand Synergy, James Cameron was developing a Spider-man movie at the time and Schwarzenegger was going to play Doc Ock. These plans fell through.

I think that's also why they don't deal with his origin story much, they assumed everyone would know it from the Cameron film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red posted:

Hobgoblin: Luke Skywalker
War Machine: Uncle Phil
J. Jonah Jameson: Ed fuckin Asner
Shocker: Winnie the Pooh
Venom: Apu / Moe
Beyonder: The psychiatrist from the Terminator flicks
Rhino: Donna's dad from That 70s Show
Scorpion: Bull from Night Court, took over from Martin Landau
Tombstone: Guy from Full Metal Jacket refused by a Vietnamese hooker because his dong was too big
Baron Mordo: Tony the Tiger
Vulture: Green Acres
Randy Robertson: CARLTON BANKS
Jackal: Dr. Smith from Lost in Space
Felicia Hardy's mom: the whorish southerner Golden Girl
Wong: George Takei
Dr. Strange: Dean from Animal House

The show is actually really well done, for the most part, except:

- No one really .. punches anyone.
- No one dies or whatnot; they 'disappear'.
- Why is Doc Ock ripped?
- The animation is super cheap. There are entire sequences that are completely unintelligible because of animation recycling.
- The dialogue is sometimes good, sometimes decent, and sometimes cringey: "... my friend: IRON MAN!"
- Mary Jane is a bad character who should've been thrown off the bridge in the first episode

But then, Roscoe Lee Browne's Kingpin voice is perfect, and the choice to give Ock a German accent is an amazing touch. The score is loving outstanding.

I think the biggest problem with the show (besides the animation maybe) is how it's edited. They take all the natural pauses out of the dialogue in editing, making conversations and sentences flow unnaturally fast, and the action is equally unnaturally abbreviated. It makes things incredibly hard to follow sometimes and makes other things just kinda sucky and confusingly fast. BTAS knew to let a scene breathe so it could sink in.

It was even worse in syndication, if you can believe it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I think that's also why they don't deal with his origin story much, they assumed everyone would know it from the Cameron film.

Yeah, the show was only greenlit to piggyback off a movie that never ended up being made. Sandman was going to appear and die in the film, and that's why Sandman never showed up in the cartoon. Spidey didn't get an origin story until season 2 or 3, and they tied it into their adaptation of The Boy Who Collected Spider-man.

E: Another double post!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I think its showrunners were even told not to start with an origin story because everyone would know it from the movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Just imagine Schwarzenegger going into the role with the same mindset he had for Mr. Freeze :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Just imagine Schwarzenegger going into the role with the same mindset he had for Mr. Freeze :allears:

So many puns about octopus, the number 8, probably some about just the ocean. I'm upset this doesn't exist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

Stories I've read about the Cameron Spider-Man over the years have said that he was going to refer to his robot arms as "weldos" (which I know is a real thing but it's still very funny to imagine Ahnold talking about his weldos), his catchphrase was going to be "Okey-dokey, then" and he was going to have a nerdy sidekick he bullied throughout the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Stories I've read about the Cameron Spider-Man over the years have said that he was going to refer to his robot arms as "weldos" (which I know is a real thing but it's still very funny to imagine Ahnold talking about his weldos), his catchphrase was going to be "Okey-dokey, then" and he was going to have a nerdy sidekick he bullied throughout the movie.
Look, if you told me before the movie that he would play mister freeze with a million ice puns, I would trust you.

But holy gently caress, "Okey-dokey" is your octopus man catchphrase Arnold? What a horrible dark timeline have we narrowly avoided.