Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

fishtobaskets posted:

The setting might be my favorite part of Ozark. What an interesting, beautiful, and peculiar part of the country.

Funnily enough, like many shows these days it was actually shot outside Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Breaking Bad is good but extremely overrated imo. It's not the omg best show ever Walt is a psycho omg people say it is. The best part about it was being one of the first contributors to the genre of prestige TV. Better Call Saul is a Better Television Show in almost every way.

Ozark is really good and I'm in love with the trashy blonde girl.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 18, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Ozark was great, I'm pumped for S2.

Did Sneaky Pete S2 end up good? I heard mixed things...

I thought Sneaky Pete s2 was "okay" but nowhere near as good as Season 1.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Had anyone checked out Safe with Michael C Hall yet? It looked sort of interesting in the previews but his English accent kinda threw me off.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

drunken officeparty posted:

Breaking Bad is good but extremely overrated imo. It's not the omg best show ever Walt is a psycho omg people say it is. The best part about it was being one of the first contributors to the genre of prestige TV. Better Call Saul is a Better Television Show in almost every way.

Ozark is really good and I'm in love with the trashy blonde girl.

By the time Breaking Bad rolled around The Sopranos had already been on the air for 9 years, and HBO had pretty much already peaked. Breaking Bad was more like part of the second wave of prestige TV. What made Breaking Bad stand out was it became a cultural phenomenon due to the 'Netflix effect'. It might be the of the few prestige shows that made it to the truly crossed over into the mainstream (The Sopranos being the other, are there others?).

I do agree it is not the greatest show ever (it is great, but it might just be the 3rd best AMC show behind Mad Men and Halt & Catch Fire), but I am not ready to claim Ozark as good or better than Breaking Bad just based on one season. Also if we are talking about shows where the main character goes to dark places, I think Barry had a better first season than both of them.

Yes about the blonde girl. I hated her in The Americans, but man she is great in Ozark.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ozark is allright. Maybe it's unfair it gets compared to Breaking Bad but there's enough similarities that it's going to happen. To me BB is is an almost immeasurably better show though.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

precision posted:

Ozark was great, I'm pumped for S2.

Did Sneaky Pete S2 end up good? I heard mixed things...

While there were a couple of fun episodes towards the end of the season I found most of it pretty boring and uninteresting.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So I highly recommend a South Korean horror film called The Wailing if you are up for a visually stunning movie that goes on forever and ever and never becomes remotely satisfying until you realize you wasted nearly 3 hours on a boring piece of poo poo that confuses mindless convolution for depth.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I tried to watch The Wailing and only made it through about 30 minutes before I decided to rewatch both Mother and The Man From Nowhere. I feel like I made the right choice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched 2 hours of the Wailing in 30 minute bursts over the course of a week and just plum forgot to watch the last hour and a half. Movie is slower than molasses.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

I watched 2 hours of the Wailing in 30 minute bursts over the course of a week and just plum forgot to watch the last hour and a half. Movie is slower than molasses.

I watched it earlier this year when I was out of work sick (I thought I had the flu, but it ended with me having emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed). It was slow, but it was the perfect movie watch sick in bed.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
The Wailing owns and is one of my favorite horror movies of the last 10 years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't say what I watched was bad but it never really got it's hooks in me.

Cargo was good. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal with burying your head in the sand was though

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I watched The Wailing with two friends who are really into horror. I love horror. The wailing really sucked: it was long, boring, unmemorable and bad. None of us liked it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You and your friends might just suck, sorry. :shrug:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Checked out the newest Tremors movie. It was nothing ground-breaking or amazing, but it was a fun, goofy action flick.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

LadyPictureShow posted:

Checked out the newest Tremors movie. It was nothing ground-breaking

how do they get around then

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Erebus posted:

:golfclap:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Erebus posted:

:drat:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LadyPictureShow posted:

Checked out the newest Tremors movie. It was nothing ground-breaking or amazing, but it was a fun, goofy action flick.

I was wondering about that. Good to know.

veni veni veni posted:

Cargo was good.

Thanks for giving me something to watch tonight, I hadn't even heard of this before but it looks fantastic.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The Wailing was amazing. Sorry yall don't like movies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The Wailing was amazing. Sorry yall don't like movies

I liked it a lot but one really should be prepared for something slow going into it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

precision posted:

I liked it a lot but one really should be prepared for something slow going into it.

I just expect a slow burn if its Korean.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Wailing was good please learn how to enjoy movies correctly.

Cargo was also pretty good. Felt kinda mad maxish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Cargo was solid. My only complaints are that the ending feels a little rushed and there’s a couple moments throughout that make the entire thing feel like it all happens within half a square mile.

If you set your zombie drama in the outback, you should at least take advantage of the setting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Wailing is easily one of the best horror films made in my lifetime.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay so I finally watched Demon Knight. That was certainly... something. Enjoyed it very much. I am sorry that Billy Zane didn't make it into more movies in general, and play more villains and homicidal maniacs in particular. I rewatched Dead Calm recently (on HBO currently) and really enjoyed it, Zane makes a perfect dark insane murderous villain and I wished the movie had taken things just that much further.

I also finally watched Drag Me To Hell and had a great time with it. Seemed a bit intense for a PG-13 film although I guess it kind of straddles that line.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Demon Knight has one of my favorite movie soundtracks ever. I played the poo poo out of that CD.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Zwabu posted:

I also finally watched Drag Me To Hell and had a great time with it. Seemed a bit intense for a PG-13 film although I guess it kind of straddles that line.

A fantastic film about the horrors of getting gross stuff in your mouth.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
The Wailing is really slow and even more tonally jarring than most Korean flicks. I love it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

Okay so I finally watched Demon Knight.
I haven't watched that in yeeeaaars. I hope it held up, because I loved the poo poo out of that movie. Bordello of Blood ... not so much.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Aggretsuko is really good. It didn’t really look like my thing initially, but I already loved it about five minutes in to the first episode. If you are or have been an aimless 20-something with a job you hate and annoying coworkers, you’ll probably find something to like. I watched the English dub, which I thought was pretty great, but I don’t know how it compares to just using subs.

Are private karaoke rooms a thing in the US? I would totally go to one, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one anywhere I’ve lived.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Are private karaoke rooms a thing in the US? I would totally go to one, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one anywhere I’ve lived.
Look in areas with large Korean populations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zwabu posted:

Okay so I finally watched Demon Knight. That was certainly... something. Enjoyed it very much. I am sorry that Billy Zane didn't make it into more movies in general, and play more villains and homicidal maniacs in particular. I rewatched Dead Calm recently (on HBO currently) and really enjoyed it, Zane makes a perfect dark insane murderous villain and I wished the movie had taken things just that much further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhDLo8UOK8

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just watched L.A. Confidential (currently on Netflix) for the first time (I think I'd caught snippets of it here and there on TV) and... Titanic won best picture that year? :wtc:

And in retrospect, the side plot about the rentboy actor and the Kevin Spacey character made me feel kind of... weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Aggretsuko is really good. It didn’t really look like my thing initially, but I already loved it about five minutes in to the first episode. If you are or have been an aimless 20-something with a job you hate and annoying coworkers, you’ll probably find something to like. I watched the English dub, which I thought was pretty great, but I don’t know how it compares to just using subs.

My wife and I tried the sub and dub both and honestly the dub works better, they got a lot of great VAs and the humor is better if you're not reading the jokes.

I didn't love the ending to Cargo but I did like it, and might have different feelings on a rewatch because I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I missed last night :420:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Zwabu posted:

I just watched L.A. Confidential (currently on Netflix) for the first time (I think I'd caught snippets of it here and there on TV) and... Titanic won best picture that year? :wtc:

And in retrospect, the side plot about the rentboy actor and the Kevin Spacey character made me feel kind of... weird.

Hot take: I saw it a few months ago and I didn't think it was good at all.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Baywatch is really, really bad.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zwabu posted:

Okay so I finally watched Demon Knight. That was certainly... something. Enjoyed it very much. I am sorry that Billy Zane didn't make it into more movies in general, and play more villains and homicidal maniacs in particular.

To this day I’ll sometimes say ‘Enough of this cowboy bullshit!’ if I get frustrated at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Jolo posted:

Wish Upon is on Prime Streaming. It's a really dumb pg-13 horror movie

...have a good time.
Sorry to quote a post so old, but I loved this movie. It walks a weird line where it isn’t even ‘so bad it’s good'. It’s very self-aware and tongue in cheek. I laughed the whole time.

Great little touch: when Gina leaves the fire escape, the graffiti on the door says “Call Your Mom.” lmbo

bort fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 20, 2018