Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

There were points last season where Clay was the only player making any catches for large stretches of games.

Sure he's overpaid but he also led the team in receiving yards which says more about how bad the receiving group was after they got rid of everyone from 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I miss Clay, he was/is great.

Re the Dolphins, I appreciate that the "character" purge looks bad, but the three main guys the let go (Suh, Landry, Pouncey) were all very highly paid, and their production didn't justify the money. They're all great, but the last three years of Dolphins proved that paying QB money for the best DT in the league isn't effective, paying top 5 money for 8-12 games of a center isn't smart, and top 5 WR money for a guy who isn't a top-5 redzone or big play guy isn't necessarily sensible.

To be sure, they'll waste all the money they save on some other poo poo, but in isolation the moves were kind of justifiable.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tarbrush posted:

I miss Clay, he was/is great.

Re the Dolphins, I appreciate that the "character" purge looks bad, but the three main guys the let go (Suh, Landry, Pouncey) were all very highly paid, and their production didn't justify the money. They're all great, but the last three years of Dolphins proved that paying QB money for the best DT in the league isn't effective, paying top 5 money for 8-12 games of a center isn't smart, and top 5 WR money for a guy who isn't a top-5 redzone or big play guy isn't necessarily sensible.

To be sure, they'll waste all the money they save on some other poo poo, but in isolation the moves were kind of justifiable.

Landry wasnt very highly paid. And, we'll never know what his contract could have been if they had simply negotiated a long term deal after the 2016 season. The ludicrous amount he was set to make in 18 was due to the move to franchise tag him. As for his talent, again, hard to say. When his average target puts him in traffic and he only gets downfield targets in the pro bowl, that may be more a failure of scheme. Letting your best players go because they cost tooo much makes good fiscal sense, but it's real hard to argue the team got better.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

torgeaux posted:

Landry wasnt very highly paid. And, we'll never know what his contract could have been if they had simply negotiated a long term deal after the 2016 season. The ludicrous amount he was set to make in 18 was due to the move to franchise tag him. As for his talent, again, hard to say. When his average target puts him in traffic and he only gets downfield targets in the pro bowl, that may be more a failure of scheme. Letting your best players go because they cost tooo much makes good fiscal sense, but it's real hard to argue the team got better.

Oh yeah, they're definitely not better, and they absolutely should have paid Landry after 2016, but they deserve a small amount of credit for taking hard decisions to get out of cap hell.

Watch them give Tannehill an eleventy billion dollar extension...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tarbrush posted:

Oh yeah, they're definitely not better, and they absolutely should have paid Landry after 2016, but they deserve a small amount of credit for taking hard decisions to get out of cap hell.

Watch them give Tannehill an eleventy billion dollar extension...

The move with tannehill that sucks is moving a moderate cap hit this year into a worse situation next year if we dont keep him. Signals confidence, but not sure what it's based on. At his best, he wasnt a franchise guy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He was an absolute difference maker at RU with just embarrassing talent around him. There is more that story than we know.

Yeah he can’t get separation. They force him into games.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

I can tell you this is flat out wrong. He demanded top 5 receiver money from Day 1. Miami offered 13.5 a year. That was more than fair for his production.

He was also a dick. Not jay Ajayi level dick, just hyper intense, which isn’t bad but he motivated using negativity and that wore on a few folks.

Or so the story goes!

I like the additions made in the off-season, and I’m sorry we had to cut Suh. Lord knows he’ll be missed - he was just a beast every play.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

I can tell you this is flat out wrong. He demanded top 5 receiver money from Day 1. Miami offered 13.5 a year. That was more than fair for his production.

He was also a dick. Not jay Ajayi level dick, just hyper intense, which isn’t bad but he motivated using negativity and that wore on a few folks.

Or so the story goes!

I like the additions made in the off-season, and I’m sorry we had to cut Suh. Lord knows he’ll be missed - he was just a beast every play.

He demanded top 5 receiver money from day one after the 2017 season. After they strung him along a season before and never offered a deal. He was never on a high cost contract, he was still on his rookie deal. His huge contract number for 2018 was only due to his franchise tag...we know this because it was the only contract he had.

But, back to other issues: They have Drake behind Gore on the depth chart. Are they going to ruin a relationship with another young player chasing an old players glory days, a la Foster And Ajayi?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

torgeaux posted:

The move with tannehill that sucks is moving a moderate cap hit this year into a worse situation next year if we dont keep him. Signals confidence, but not sure what it's based on. At his best, he wasnt a franchise guy.

I think they've shown this season that dead money isn't going to stop them making the moves they want to make. If Tannehill sucks this year, the contract renegotiation this year won't matter.

Well, probably. It does seem that the organisation really likes Tannehill, which is confusing for someone barely scraping the Dalton Line.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Major Ryan posted:

I think they've shown this season that dead money isn't going to stop them making the moves they want to make. If Tannehill sucks this year, the contract renegotiation this year won't matter.

Well, probably. It does seem that the organisation really likes Tannehill, which is confusing for someone barely scraping the Dalton Line.

I actually like Tannehill. He is a perfectly serviceable qb....but committing at least two seasons to him, post injury, just strikes me as insane. They sold out next years cap for this season, and i haven't seen the FA acquisitions to show its a win now year.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It is mildly hilarious watching them convince themselves this is their year while the patriots dynasty points and laughs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

torgeaux posted:

I actually like Tannehill. He is a perfectly serviceable qb....but committing at least two seasons to him, post injury, just strikes me as insane. They sold out next years cap for this season, and i haven't seen the FA acquisitions to show its a win now year.

Even if Tannehill sucks now and they decide to move on from him, there's no one really in free agency next year anyway, and a rookie will take at least some time to adjust, so you might as well keep Tannehill for those two years anyway.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kalli posted:

Even if Tannehill sucks now and they decide to move on from him, there's no one really in free agency next year anyway, and a rookie will take at least some time to adjust, so you might as well keep Tannehill for those two years anyway.

Thats pretty much the only rational explanation, i guess, but doesnt take into account that he may not be physically able to play all this year, yet alone next.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

He demanded top 5 receiver money from day one after the 2017 season. After they strung him along a season before and never offered a deal. He was never on a high cost contract, he was still on his rookie deal. His huge contract number for 2018 was only due to his franchise tag...we know this because it was the only contract he had.

Again this is wrong man. He demanded it from day 1. Armando’s confirmed it, and Parkey confirmed too.

They offered him an extension the offseason in 2017. Same time they signed Stills. Landry refused.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Again this is wrong man. He demanded it from day 1. Armando’s confirmed it, and Parkey confirmed too.

They offered him an extension the offseason in 2017. Same time they signed Stills. Landry refused.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article157106519.html

quote:

After re-signing Kenny Stills this offseason, the Dolphins don't appear especially interested in locking up Landry for the long term. Offseason contract talks went nowhere, and it seems plausible that Miami doesn't think its slot wideout is worth paying No. 1 receiver money, which is what Landry should rightfully ask for given his production over the past three seasons. Landry's Dolphins didn't play in Week 1 because of Hurricane Irma, but from 2014 to '16, he was fifth in the NFL in receptions and 12th in receiving yards.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 19, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

One of those situations we just have conflicting sources. Agree to disagree.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

One of those situations we just have conflicting sources. Agree to disagree.

Sure, neither of us has personal knowledge. Can you pull up the Armando article that says they offered him that? Because the Armando articles I see say nothing like that.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194920564.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article189867619.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article163245948.html

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 19, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
PMs!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My view is, it's fine to view Landry as not being worth what he wanted, but I don't get replacing him with Amendola and that Chiefs guy. Not that they aren't fine #2 / #3 options, but they're paying them almost what Landry's making, and they gave them an odd amount of guaranteed money, pretty much keeping Amendola for 2 and the other guy for 3 years.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Kalli posted:

My view is, it's fine to view Landry as not being worth what he wanted, but I don't get replacing him with Amendola and that Chiefs guy. Not that they aren't fine #2 / #3 options, but they're paying them almost what Landry's making, and they gave them an odd amount of guaranteed money, pretty much keeping Amendola for 2 and the other guy for 3 years.

Dolphins are still idiots, water still wet.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yeah, it makes zero sense. It’s almost like the signed Amendola literally to be a positive influence and tell rookies what championships are like

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

It's kinda funny because the Patriots didn't see Welker being worth what he wanted and also tried to replace him with Amendola for basically the same amount of money the Broncos gave Welker.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

torgeaux posted:

I actually like Tannehill. He is a perfectly serviceable qb....but committing at least two seasons to him, post injury, just strikes me as insane.

I assume they really like Osweiler. I mean, there's a reasonably good chance Tannehill gets reinjured or doesn't perform as well as before the surgery, and they chose not to address that in the draft. After how bad the Cutler experiment went, you'd think they'd be keen not to risk the possibility of that happening again. So, Osweiler - they must think he's the answer.

I guess they could just be crossing their fingers and hoping lightning doesn't strike twice. But that level of unpreparedness seems really weird. To have the same QB crisis happen two years in a row would look really careless.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I figure Osweiler is a break glass in case of tanking QB.

Tannehill should be fine, it was just an ACL and he's had plenty of time to rehab it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Tannehill really isn’t this injury prone guy everyone is saying he is.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

No, but his decision to not have surgery the first time was reckless, at best. And, until you see him go 100% on the knee, you won't know if he's one of those guys that never trusts the knee again.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

He really isn't. But for quarterbacks coming from an ACL the first year can often be a "down" year compared to their normal performance, which could complicate decisions for Miami when the season is over.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Amy Pole Her posted:

No, sure. But I think the Dolphins need to consider it a possibility that Tannehill doesn't play 16 games or just doesn't perform that well this season while he's getting back up to speed. Basically I think your backup this season needs to be closer to the 33rd best QB in the league than some Joe riding the bench for 16 games, and maybe actually that is Osweiler.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

torgeaux posted:

No, but his decision to not have surgery the first time was reckless, at best. And, until you see him go 100% on the knee, you won't know if he's one of those guys that never trusts the knee again.

Major Ryan posted:

No, sure. But I think the Dolphins need to consider it a possibility that Tannehill doesn't play 16 games or just doesn't perform that well this season while he's getting back up to speed. Basically I think your backup this season needs to be closer to the 33rd best QB in the league than some Joe riding the bench for 16 games, and maybe actually that is Osweiler.

Believe me I’m not happy we’re going with Brock @ 2nd. I thought he was a 3rd QB

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Print the shirts

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The worst thing about the Carroo pick is that this forum convinced me he was the best receiver in the draft and we had an absolute steal.

I dunno, I still see the Dolphins winning their normal 7-8 games. I think the defensive will be ok despite losing Suh and the offense can only get better though they will probably still finish in the high 20s somewhere.

They will win a couple games against good teams that shows their potential, loss a couple more that they absolutely should have won, and squeak their way through against other average teams.

Time is a flat circle.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TheBizzness posted:

The worst thing about the Carroo pick is that this forum convinced me he was the best receiver in the draft and we had an absolute steal.

I dunno, I still see the Dolphins winning their normal 7-8 games. I think the defensive will be ok despite losing Suh and the offense can only get better though they will probably still finish in the high 20s somewhere.

They will win a couple games against good teams that shows their potential, loss a couple more that they absolutely should have won, and squeak their way through against other average teams.

Time is a flat circle.

have you factored in Jakeem Grant??

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If our pass rush is anything formidable at all we’re going to be way better on defense. We were getting destroyed on far too many 3rd and longs

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

If our pass rush is anything formidable at all we’re going to be way better on defense. We were getting destroyed on far too many 3rd and longs

I think the return of the LB, the addition of a cover safety will also help on 3d down. We got eaten on quick passes over the middle. Good coverage there will make the rush more effecient.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I really think McMillan and Fitzpatrick being added to this defense is going to be a huge upgrade

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah. Our dline is a step back, but better everywhere else o d is better. O? Scares me they have gore at #1 right now. I like stills and the slot guys will be adequate, but Tannehill is a question, so itll be hard to judge our receivers for a bit. Im afraid we'll get a tannehill not quite as good as 2016, so, average.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

torgeaux posted:

Yeah. Our dline is a step back, but better everywhere else o d is better. O? Scares me they have gore at #1 right now. I like stills and the slot guys will be adequate, but Tannehill is a question, so itll be hard to judge our receivers for a bit. Im afraid we'll get a tannehill not quite as good as 2016, so, average.

wait

FRANK Gore?

I thought his rear end retired with all the HoF talk

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Frank gore is going to be running for 3.6 ypc long after we’re all dead

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Kenyan Drake will start, that depth chart done by the best writers is laughable. We’re not putting Amendola Y receiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Amy Pole Her posted:

Kenyan Drake will start, that depth chart done by the best writers is laughable. We’re not putting Amendola Y receiver

I would eagerly agree but for Gase's history.

Foster > Ajayi
Williams > Drake
...therefore, Gore > Drake.

Seriously, though, I'm not sanguine on that, at all. The reports they intend for drake to get a bunch of Jarvis' touches in the passing game leads me to think Drake may see fewer touches in the run game.

• Locked thread