Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TwoPair posted:

"I can't jack off to this Cheetara at all!" :argh:

Oh come on, you KNOW that's not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

purple death ray posted:

Thundercats is probably the worst of all those nerd golden calves from the early 80s. If anybody wants to tear out any interesting stuff and rework it into something decent more power to them.

Would want to see that in motion but that's a fine art style.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56mPCMMYrG4

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Calling it Thundercats Roar just begs for people to treat it like Teen Titans Go.

Also Leonardo is the best Ninja Turtle :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Calling it Thundercats Roar just begs for people to treat it like Teen Titans Go.

Also Leonardo is the best Ninja Turtle :colbert:

I'm willing to bet that comparison is more something they're aiming for rather than avoid.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I had never once seen a second of Teen Titans Go until the trailer for the movie came on before Deadpool 2 last night. It was completely unbearable. How was this a thing?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I had never once seen a second of Teen Titans Go until the trailer for the movie came on before Deadpool 2 last night. It was completely unbearable. How was this a thing?

It still is a thing. And it is somehow the most polarizing cartoon of the century, as it's either hilarious or the worst thing ever, depending on who you ask. I'm the former, you're apparently the latter. I've never met (on the internet or irl) anyone who thinks TTG is just "kinda" good/bad.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's a children's cartoon and, before you say anything, the ones you watched as a kid were also terrible, every single one of them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive only seen the beast boy songs through youtube but they are good and funny

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's fine as background noise or something to just half pay attention to, which is probably why Cartoon Network plays it near constantly instead of any of their other shows.

Edit - I can't imagine anybody being upset about a crappy looking Thundercats reboot other than the people that watch 30 minute Youtube videos on why Cartoon Network hates action cartoons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what TTG needs is more episodes about how all the people who don't like the Titans or their show are dumb and wrong

thank god they're doing a whole movie covering this untapped territory

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think TTG is fine. I don't really watch a ton of cartoons these days, but I wanted to see what it was like. They have some good DC Universe jokes in there since the cartoons appear to be allowed to reference whatever they want. They're more self-aware than they get credit for. Honestly I mostly live for the people who froth at the mouth whenever it's brought up. High comedy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
TTG has managed to get many chuckles out of me, but I can see how it probably isn't for everyone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't really buy the "It's bad because it's a show for children" excuse when I saw a trailer before a very not for children R rated film last night.

Also I predominantly watched Looney Tunes as a child because it was on all the drat time. And Looney Tunes was never and will never be terrible.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Teen Titans Go is kinda stupid, but it's kinda stupid in a way that is funny occasionally. It's very much Family Guy for kids.

I don't have an issue with Thundercats Roar aesthetically in and of itself, but I have to wonder what happened to cartoons that... don't look like this. The Adventure Time Generation, while there are lots of good shows, seems to be marking a low point in terms of variety for tone and art styles for TV animation.

Voltron's about the only thing I can think of that stands out from the crowd.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You'll find a lot of samey looking cartoons from all eras.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Samuringa posted:

It's a children's cartoon and, before you say anything, the ones you watched as a kid were also terrible, every single one of them.

Looney Tunes was and still is awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh, they made it good.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Looney Tunes was and still is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFhZMa-8Xw

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't have an issue with Thundercats Roar aesthetically in and of itself, but I have to wonder what happened to cartoons that... don't look like this. The Adventure Time Generation, while there are lots of good shows, seems to be marking a low point in terms of variety for tone and art styles for TV animation.

I do agree that there could be more visual distinction in modern animation. I think ultimately it comes down to costs. Traditional, full animation is way too expensive to justify on most shows, so costs end up getting cost one way or the other, and people seem to prefer Gravity Falls/Gumball/Adventure Time/etc low res blobby aesthetic to like, realistic but mannequin-like faux anime like DC's horrific DTV content.

E: That was meant to be an edit, not a double post.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

To be fair when you have more than a thousand shorts made over an approximately 40 year time period there's bound to be a few stinkers and shorts that aged poorly, and considering how small a minority of the total shorts fall into that category it's honestly pretty impressive

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TTG is good because it is basically kid friendly It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

2011. it was really bad.

So so bad. I think I gave up around the time Panthro lost his arms and replaced them with stretchy Inspector Gadget ones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/flipskip1/status/997662259030605824

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 19, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

:discourse: *kisses fingertips.*

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah they tried a super serious one that no one watched, so it will be hilarious to see 20-30 something year olds complaining about this new cartoony one.

The problem with the 2011 show wasn't that it was super serious, it was that it presented itself as super-serious while trying to redo plotlines from the original 80s show. So you had attempts to make robot teddy bears into legitimate characters. It couldn't decide what it wanted to be and collapsed because of it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Normal person reacting in a reasonable way

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

X-O posted:

Just look up a "best of" on youtube, realize they have one good writer, who is probably into comics, and never watch anything else about the show.

That Jason Todd joke is great though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Teen Titans Go is honestly pretty funny. It's at least Spongebob levels of good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIkjRSJnow

It's also...pretty smart? It's manic and silly but it's definitely not stupid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wow sure hope the show moves more like the clip at the end and not the segments with Lion-O and the TV cause woof.

Clip at the end looks neat though. It looks like Adventure Time but every character is one of those rough-housing viking dudes from the Boom Boom Mountain episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a petty wee bastard sometimes, so I enjoy the TTG episode where they get serious partly on its own merits (I do think it's funny as a parody of the Marv Wolfman comics) and partly because of how much it upsets people.

Like I said, I think people get more upset with cartoons that used to be "serious" getting a "silly" reimagining. I don't know if it goes the other way, though; the only example I can think of is Loonatics Unleashed which I thought was pretty dull. I remember about eight years interacting with a guy on a forum who was convinced that it was the best use of the Looney Tunes ever because it was "so adult". (:rolleyes:) (He was also tricked into admitting that he regularly masturbated to Lola Bunny.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 19, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
TTG is pretty good and fun. Much like Looney Tunes, there's a massive mass of content so you can dive into anything with a summary that sounds appealing and have a fun time. I really like whenever Cyborg gets an episode, he is so much more rounded and interested in this version of the cartoon compared to... every single piece of media he's been in.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Any issues that TTG might have are instantly forgiven because of The Night Begins to Shine. :colbert:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

TTG is pretty good and fun. Much like Looney Tunes, there's a massive mass of content so you can dive into anything with a summary that sounds appealing and have a fun time. I really like whenever Cyborg gets an episode, he is so much more rounded and interested in this version of the cartoon compared to... every single piece of media he's been in.

Yeah, it's bizarre to me that they keep trying to make Cyborg a Thing in the adult media but they never draw on this version of the character (which unlike the others is actually popular).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Wow sure hope the show moves more like the clip at the end and not the segments with Lion-O and the TV cause woof.

Clip at the end looks neat though. It looks like Adventure Time but every character is one of those rough-housing viking dudes from the Boom Boom Mountain episode.

It's going to be more like the TV segments. The bit at the end is the intro where they can actually spend money since they'll be using it for every episode.

All that said, original Thundercats is atrocious so it's not like being better is a high bar or anything.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair when you have more than a thousand shorts made over an approximately 40 year time period there's bound to be a few stinkers and shorts that aged poorly, and considering how small a minority of the total shorts fall into that category it's honestly pretty impressive

And as a kid, I never saw the overtly racist toons on Saturday morning. Looney Tunes helped shape my sense of humor. Growing up in the early 70s, I had virtually no exposure to Disney cartoons unless they came on The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights (which was rare). Their toons were bland and unfunny compared to Bugs and company.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teen Titans Go is pretty good, but I feel like it's reaching that point where it's run its course, and going on for much longer will be really diminishing returns. Also like Spongebob.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, it's bizarre to me that they keep trying to make Cyborg a Thing in the adult media but they never draw on this version of the character (which unlike the others is actually popular).

Honestly the big issue with most incarnations of cyborg is that the only way he could be more generic is if they changed his superhero name to "Hero Man With Robot Bits Attached."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

And as a kid, I never saw the overtly racist toons on Saturday morning. Looney Tunes helped shape my sense of humor. Growing up in the early 70s, I had virtually no exposure to Disney cartoons unless they came on The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights (which was rare). Their toons were bland and unfunny compared to Bugs and company.

Exactly, maybe 20 to 30 shorts at the most are offensive all the way through, and those pretty much never got broadcast on TV(except that one Speedy Gonzalez short I mentioned before), most of the other offensive bits are exactly that; very brief moments that often got edited out of the TV versions anyways

Also this warning label from the DVD sets I feel sums up the best way to approach old offensive media;

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking as a Mexican born and raised in Mexico

Speedy Gonzales is loving awesome.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking as a Mexican born and raised in Mexico

Speedy Gonzales is loving awesome.

For every other short of his I agree, but have you ever seen his very first short, cause goddamn is it horrid(doesn't help that it's rather unfunny by Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies standards)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

For every other short of his I agree, but have you ever seen his very first short, cause goddamn is it horrid(doesn't help that it's rather unfunny by Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies standards)

Cat-Tails for Two? Yeah, I liked Speedy Gonzales: Tepito Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That TTG clip was funny enough to make me want to see the rest of the episode.

All this talking about Looney Tunes made me realize that I quite enjoyed and kind of miss that sitcomy show they had a few years ago. Where Bugs and Daffy were housemates.