Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Please don't have a meltdown the first time you get positive female attention. But sorry to hear that. That's tough.

....What? It wasn't the first time. And the joke was just that Rhyno's crusty, I scrolled up quick and you were the first name I saw, nobody's having a meltdown.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry, I understand how you feel. Fair warning, the actual content of the book isn't gonna cheer you up any.

I was about halfway through it at the time.

Rhyno posted:

I lost a woman I once loved last February, I understand where you are.

We were still together and pretty happy, and I think for me that's the hardest part. Maybe I'd have blown it. Or maybe we'd be married since I was planning on proposing, and we'd be happy as clams. I'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

....What? It wasn't the first time. And the joke was just that Rhyno's crusty, I scrolled up quick and you were the first name I saw, nobody's having a meltdown.
Oh man I thought you were making a reference to the Online Dating Thread, where some drama erupted earlier in the week when a dude got a Bumble match and melted down and called me a douchebag. For some reason I thought you posted in there, but I guess not!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Endless Mike posted:

Oh man I thought you were making a reference to the Online Dating Thread, where some drama erupted earlier in the week when a dude got a Bumble match and melted down and called me a douchebag. For some reason I thought you posted in there, but I guess not!
Anyone who isn't reading the Online Dating Thread and incels.txt, please go do so. :allears:

And not just because that's where my best shitposts happen.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I would but your link doesn't seem to work

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I would but your link doesn't seem to work
Smartass.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I thought it would be a thread for making fun of Online Dating but it seems to be encouraging it? I'm disappointed.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Its performance art.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PMush Perfect posted:

Anyone who isn't reading the Online Dating Thread and incels.txt, please go do so. :allears:

And not just because that's where my best shitposts happen.

is Online Dating Thread the same place as incels.txt? I request an incelink if not.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

is Online Dating Thread the same place as incels.txt? I request an incelink if not.

incelink is the name of my tattoo parlor.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

"Tattoos guaranteed to not get you laid!"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Surely that would be volcelink?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I'm going to keep this tab open because I've heard the word being thrown around a lot but never knew it stood for "Involuntary Celibate" and there's no way that thread isn't a goldmine

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

I'm going to keep this tab open because I've heard the word being thrown around a lot but never knew it stood for "Involuntary Celibate" and there's no way that thread isn't a goldmine

I read every word of it up to about two weeks ago when there was a sudden boom in posts again and now I'm close to 3000 posts behind. Absolute gold.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When's the inevitable explosions when r/incels got shut down due to their dipshittery? So I know what page I can look forward to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

When's the inevitable explosions when r/incels got shut down due to their dipshittery? So I know what page I can look forward to.
My best guess based on circumstantial evidence is somewhere in late October or some time in November of last year, which means it's not in this thread.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well I sure do love all this non-comic discussion! Speaking of non-comics, manga!

Hajime No Ippo began serialisation in October 1989 and has been written and inked, continuously, by a single author Jyoji Morikawa for almost 30 years*.

It is one of the longest running on-going manga series ever produced. Moreso than even more prominent series like One Piece, Naruto or Bleach.
And it's still going.

It just had a major watershed moment.

To tl;dr this a bit Ippo, the main character, has been recovering from a recent loss and has had to go on a brutal training regime to get back in the game and show that he still has it, and to bring into fruition a special move that he has been slowly been perfecting over the course of the entire series. This is 30 years worth of story telling and character development all coming to a head.

Back in the ring he faces off against his opponent and has been knocked down twice in the round already, but he is has finally been able to set thing ups to unleash the perfected Dempsey Roll in full force. His signature move.
It does not go well

This singular image above does not convey the full weight of what has just happened, as I would have needed to post another 6 images to show the full spread, but will probably be remembered as the series Ashita No Joe moment. This is the hero defeated. This is 2 years worth of setup gone. Over 1200 chapters worth of story telling led to this singular moment of Ippo FINALLY unleashing the Dempsey Roll he has spent so long perfecting, only to end with him being brutally knocked out. His dreams of reaching the world stage of boxing dashed forever.

That's not the watershed moment I wanted to show, though it is of course one on it's own.
It's what happens afterwards.

Ippo chooses to retire from boxing.
He was aware his body had started to fail him, turn on him, and he knew he had started presenting symptoms of becoming permanently punch drunk. It's time to say goodbyes. Over the course of the next few chapters he says goodbye to his coach, has several long time coming slice-of-life moments with friends and family, and it all eventually leads to him leaving the gym for likely the final time

:siren: Read Right to left :siren:

It's really difficult for me to contextualise just what an absolutely powerful moment this is for the series, especially if you haven't been following it.

For a series to be written AND drawn by a single author for close to 30 years.
For the last 20 odd chapters of a 1200+ series to finally bring to a head Ippo's multiple story arcs and character development
And as fan that has been reading it on and off, and catching up in bulk, for probably around 15 years.
It's just an absolute delight.

There were so many moments from the last few chapters that were just raw and emotional and inspiring, and absolutely worth sharing here, and I don't think you see that very often in other mediums; let alone other manga or comic series.

(This might have been a little long, but this is truly a tl;dr version of events from the last several chapters. So I apologise for the length)
* - Dude obviously has assistants, but the fact stands.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 22, 2018

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Ippo was great, my wife got me into it years ago and I followed it for awhile. I actually had to drop reading it because one particular arc was just such a loving bummer that I needed to just go read fun comics exclusively for awhile. I'll have to pick it up again and finish it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ippo was hands-down my favorite manga of all time for yeeeeeears. I soured, like many, with the Woli era.

But, god drat, I'll go read/watch Ippo/Sendo or better yet, best fight of the series Mashiba x Kimura any day.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's a possibility Ippo will get back in the ring, but I find it unlikely. He is currently acting as Kimura's second and is getting some -THE SOUL STILL BURNS- feelings

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice posting your pirated anime

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
One Piece is the pirate anime

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Endless Mike posted:

Nice posting your pirated anime

There is no official English version of Ippo to purchase so I don't know what you want here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Marin Karin posted:

There is no official English version of Ippo to purchase so I don't know what you want here.

The same thing every BSS poster wants: to find any reason they can to poo poo on anybody posting manga

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

The same thing every BSS poster wants: to find any reason they can to poo poo on anybody posting manga

Is that so much to ask for?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I mean, there’s plenty of reasons to poo poo on us, we just want you to do it properly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comic readers and manga readers making GBS threads on each other is the most glass houses thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Comic readers and manga readers making GBS threads on each other is the most glass houses thing.

Manga/Anime has its own quarantined sub forum for a reason.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rhyno posted:

:ironicat:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

So does comic books but thanks for proving my point I guess

Ironically the exact opposite of this conversation also happens there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

So does comic books but thanks for proving my point I guess

Ironically the exact opposite of this conversation also happens there.

Comics have spawned the most financially successful film franchise in history. What's manga done lately?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Comics have spawned the most financially successful film franchise in history. What's manga done lately?

.. Spawned some of the most successful merchandising franchises in history?

Like if you argument is "comics are great because movies sell well" then presumably you'll say the same about the massively toyetic franchises that move tons of merch.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Are we really loving doing this again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Are you Disney?

Then why do you care, unless you get that money it’s meaningless

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I bet pokemon has made more than the mcu

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

You cannot be serious. Please break kayfabe and say you're joking. Please Rhyno, I want to believe you're not this stupid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The whole point of my post was pissing contests between two similar mediums was stupid.

Not to actually start one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hajime No Ippo was so engrossing that pro wrestler Kenny Omega learned Japanese to keep up with it after the anime ended but the manga continued in Japan.

It ended up serving him in his career since he's now one of the most popular gaijin in New Japan Pro Wrestling history, partly because he gives interviews in Japanese.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 23, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Are we really loving doing this again.

Yeah, can we not?

I posted it here because this is the Touching and Inspiring panels thread, which ADTRW doesn't really have, and it was a really powerful moment from the series.

If I was posting dumb anime trope pandering horseshit, it'd be fair enough, but how bout we just chill and just appreciate the cool manga pages.

Comics are cool and good.
Manga is cool and good.
Dumb pandering nonsense, which exists in both mediums, is dumb and bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

You cannot be serious. Please break kayfabe and say you're joking. Please Rhyno, I want to believe you're not this stupid.

I'm clearly trolling and have been since I mentioned ADTRW%^*&whatever the gently caress it's called. Jesus guys. That doesn't mean that manga isn't terrible.

Anime though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Rhyno posted:

I could yap for hours about how much personal discovery I have made since leaving the store and realizing how toxic of a work place it was. But this thread isn't about me.
This is the kind of learned toxic behaviour you need to reflect on. Whether it's Ironic, semi-ironic, or direct douchey, meaningless pissing matches over industries hurts every comics community. Whether it's European, western, manga, indy or webcomic, there's somehing to be learned from every medium of sequential storytelling, and kneejerk gatekeeping harms the community and the industry.