Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

HIJK posted:

Looks like D&C filed a complaint with the FTC over this stuff: https://mobile.twitter.com/DiversityAndCmx/status/996052716622438402

IANAL, what happens next?

I am a lawyer! though a Canadian one and don't know much about FTC stuff.

Here's the thing though- these agencies are pretty much required to file a report for any complaint, no matter how stupid. They will pass it off to some investigator/lawyer, they'll examine the complaint for a minute, laugh, then write an official response saying that there's no grounds to proceed.

Nothing will happen from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HIJK posted:

What's really fascinating about all of this is the rabid speculation people are parroting as facts. There are so many users convinced that Disney and Marvel are going to pay D&C a settlement and that Mark Waid is blacklisted/fired and that Cebulski ordered Waid to erase his social media and so on and on and on and on. But there's 0 to support any of it, we have one 4channer Whose Uncle Totally Works At Nintendo and maybe some other internet comments I haven't read, but there are so many people who hate Waid and Marvel that they take it as gospel.

We won't know anything unless it actually goes to court and they make their discovery findings public but my god the number people who can't stop letting their imaginations run away on this is incredible.

I don't know if you've noticed but there's this guy in the white house who's normalized inventing conspiracies about your political enemies.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

You cannot call a company unprincipled for doing its goddamn job of publishing people even if you don't like that person.
There's a right wing trend of calling political criticism a call for censorship, which it is not when it's made by a smart person and should not be in general. But it gets a lot harder to explain that it isn't if people are outright calling for conservatives who haven't directly expressed hate and who have not doxxed and harassed others to not be run out of the industry, even if they've never written a goddamn good comic.

Try not being a conservative if you don't want to be rightfully treated like the poo poo. They lost the moral high ground of "just having different opinions" about ten years ago, and that's being generous.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know if you've noticed but there's this guy in the white house who's normalized inventing conspiracies about your political enemies.

That's been a thing for longer than anyone on this forum has been alive. I'm just fascinated by how everyone who has a grudge against Marvel is expecting this to play out exactly in their favor.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HIJK posted:

That's been a thing for longer than anyone on this forum has been alive. I'm just fascinated by how everyone who has a grudge against Marvel is expecting this to play out exactly in their favor.

Delusion mixed with spite. Very common on the internet. Especially with people who have extremist views. Extremist views can make you loose touch with reality and forget the world doesn't all think the way you do. It's kind of a form of narcissism, really. They really think Marvel, in this case, is the big enemy of their personal story and expect it to be like the movie where, in the 3rd act, the villain is defeated in an embarrassing display.

But that isn't how life is.

You're not always the good guy. In this instance it's easy to see who the bad guy really is (D&C and his CHUD followers), not Marvel or Waid. And Marvel, frankly, only has something to do with this in your own head: they did nothing to D&C or Antarctic Press, some 4channer just made a rumor that appeals to your worldview.

Sad thing is, you can say that to them till the cows come home, but they'll still think the same way and still eagerly await "the fall of SJW Marvel from the weight of their horrible SJW agenda."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For a group that likes to jerk it to the idea of capitalism and the free market they really hate it when corporations tell them to gently caress off

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'd say it would be a good idea for D&C to build up some good will but the concept is probably completely alien to him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My guess is Meyer knows it won’t go anywhere, but he needs to keep the narrative going to bring in those alt-right bucks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Monaghan posted:

I am a lawyer! though a Canadian one and don't know much about FTC stuff.

Here's the thing though- these agencies are pretty much required to file a report for any complaint, no matter how stupid. They will pass it off to some investigator/lawyer, they'll examine the complaint for a minute, laugh, then write an official response saying that there's no grounds to proceed.

Nothing will happen from this.

Pretty much this yeah. The FTC will have some procedure that says any complaint has to be investigated, so they'll pass it along to whatever sub-organization does that, then they will call Waid, who will tell them exactly what he had posted on FB before deleting it, probably ask him a few more questions in which they figure out that no freelance writer is going to be able to bully an entire company, then they'll file it as "no violation, close case" and that'll be the end of it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bessantj posted:

I'd say it would be a good idea for D&C to build up some good will but the concept is probably completely alien to him.

Alternatively, he thinks this IS building up good will. A lot of these anti-SJW folks seriously think they're doing a good thing for society. It's bananas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Madkal posted:

For a group that likes to jerk it to the idea of capitalism and the free market they really hate it when corporations tell them to gently caress off
That's because they don't so much love these ideas, as they hate the people who they interpret as being opposed to them. It is already well into the second-order level where they aren't even angry at their enemies (which is logical, even when it is evil), but rather they are angry at the beliefs that they perceive their enemies to have.

And the enemies themselves, of course.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bessantj posted:

Build up good will with who. And how

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

site posted:

Build up good will with who. And how

Well with the comics industry I guess, especially the comic book store owners. How, well that's up to him though apologising wouldn't be the worst of starts people are willing to forgive. Though as I say I doubt that he understands the concept.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Appealing to the chuds with your physical retail outlet seems stupid anyway. Unless it's like a shiny little capstone on top something large and direct-mail-y, but these guys seem like they are going to be extremely online and probably either reading illegally or buying solely through price.

I guess Rhyno would know better here of course.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bessantj posted:

Well with the comics industry I guess, especially the comic book store owners. How, well that's up to him though apologising wouldn't be the worst of starts people are willing to forgive. Though as I say I doubt that he understands the concept.

I mean his whole schtick has been harassing creators and stores, some of them have been on the receiving end of thousands of these idiots harassing them for over a year straight. You really think that theyre gonna just forgive and forget if he gives some fake apology on twitter?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well no, but I was thinking what I would do if I was in his position and wanted to get my Godawful 90s throwback published.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Honestly this whole situation is so toxic I can't imagine any shop wanting to touch it, I certainly wouldn't and if anyone tried to start trouble that's when you pull the cellphone out to film them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic about the whole situation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

bessantj posted:

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic about the whole situation.

The only reasonable thing to be optimistic about here is that Richard Myers has ruined his career. He hasn't agonized everyone from his contemporaries to his superiors to his clients. The only people he can trust rely on him are the chuds. And their pockets are not forever. He's made himself into a charity case for right-wing virtue signaling. And when that runs out he is kicked out of this industry for good. I want to remind you this all started when he failed to release a comic book about the Korean War. This man has wanted to be a part of this industry for about 10 years. This is all because he's a bitter failure. The chance for optimism past when instead of improving his craft and trying to eventually get accepted for the strength of his ability, he went after people instead and act like a dick. The only real hope is this dude has ruined his own life and ostracize himself so we won't have to loving deal with him anymore.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HIJK posted:

Honestly this whole situation is so toxic I can't imagine any shop wanting to touch it, I certainly wouldn't and if anyone tried to start trouble that's when you pull the cellphone out to film them.

I'm sure there are shops out there run by people who un-ironically use the term "Political Correctness gone mad!" and such. Hell, they probably like mid 90's EXXXXXXTRRRREEEEMMME comics, too. Maybe they even ordered Wendy Whitebread: Undercover Slut when it was out. It takes all kinds.

That said, I do think it's a minority of people, for which I am thankful.

Covok
May 27, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm sure there are shops out there run by people who un-ironically use the term "Political Correctness gone mad!" and such. Hell, they probably like mid 90's EXXXXXXTRRRREEEEMMME comics, too. Maybe they even ordered Wendy Whitebread: Undercover Slut when it was out. It takes all kinds.

Except shops like that are traditionally going out of business. FLCS that survive do so by adapting, branching out, and trying to get new customers. Those exclusionary shops tend to be the first to go.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Covok posted:

The only reasonable thing to be optimistic about here is that Richard Myers has ruined his career. He hasn't agonized everyone from his contemporaries to his superiors to his clients. The only people he can trust rely on him are the chuds. And their pockets are not forever. He's made himself into a charity case for right-wing virtue signaling. And when that runs out he is kicked out of this industry for good. I want to remind you this all started when he failed to release a comic book about the Korean War. This man has wanted to be a part of this industry for about 10 years. This is all because he's a bitter failure. The chance for optimism past when instead of improving his craft and trying to eventually get accepted for the strength of his ability, he went after people instead and act like a dick. The only real hope is this dude has ruined his own life and ostracize himself so we won't have to loving deal with him anymore.

Was his Korean War comic as terrible as this new one? Is Richard Myers D&C's real name?

Wendy Whitebread: Undercover Slut

Been laughing at this for a good few minutes now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yeah, these guys

http://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc-17-retailer-outrage-at-the-marvel-retailer-panel/ posted:

This same retailer continued into a rant blasting Marvel on their recent changes to their most popular characters, complaining that when kids come into his shop after seeing an Avengers movie, they can’t find the Avengers in the comics. He complained about Captain America being black, Thor being a woman and Iceman being gay. “Iceman, a character we all love, now he’s gay. It don’t make sense. Why don’t you make new characters? Don’t make changes to the old characters that we love.” This was met with a smattering of applause. Nick Lowe countered with “We do all kinds of different characters. We do all kinds of different stuff.” The retailer continued, “Then don’t mess with the old characters. The old characters are solid.” Nick Lowe politely interjected here, saying “Sir, they’ve been doing this at Marvel for years. Thor became a frog.” This retailer was particularly irked that Iceman was now gay. He came back to that over and over in his rant about Marvel’s changes. “I got kids coming into my shop and you got Iceman kissing dudes.” I didn’t catch the retailer’s name, but let’s just call him Bigoted Santa Claus, because he, well, looks like Santa Claus, and has an obvious dislike for black people and homosexuals. After Bigoted Santa Claus’s  continued tirade about Iceman being gay and Captain America being black, Nick Lowe countered that “There are Marvel characters for every kind of fan.”

Another retailer took up Bigoted Santa Claus’s charge and continued to loudly blast Marvel for “Black Cap,” “Female Thor” and “Homo Iceman.” Marvel promptly shut down the panel at this point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

bessantj posted:

Was his Korean War comic as terrible as this new one? Is Richard Myers D&C's real name?

Been laughing at this for a good few minutes now.

From everything I heard, it was pretty terrible. And, from my understanding, that's the name that's listed in many articles. So it's public.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

site posted:

Yeah, these guys

thor...turned into a frog...frogs turning gay...because of chemicals in the water...ice melts into water...Iceman is gay now...of course it's all linked

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

Yeah, these guys

Something tells me that it's not the comics that are making kids not want to buy books from their store.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

HIJK posted:

thor...turned into a frog...frogs turning gay...because of chemicals in the water...ice melts into water...Iceman is gay now...of course it's all linked

Please don't leak the gay agenda

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HIJK posted:

Less convoluted than most comic plots.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They should have said Iceman was always a homo... superior. :smug:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

They should have said Iceman was always a homo... superior. :smug:

Oh god now I wish he'd done this

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Christ I wish I liked a different art. My mum's a textile artist, she doesn't have to deal with Chudgate vs Big Textile. :sad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Appealing to the chuds with your physical retail outlet seems stupid anyway. Unless it's like a shiny little capstone on top something large and direct-mail-y, but these guys seem like they are going to be extremely online and probably either reading illegally or buying solely through price.

I guess Rhyno would know better here of course.

We had a very large number of this type of customer. I'd wager it's very common in comics retail for 50% of your customer base to be toxic CHUD.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

We had a very large number of this type of customer. I'd wager it's very common in comics retail for 50% of your customer base to be toxic CHUD.

Probably a bunch of incels, too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Probably a bunch of incels, too

I'd bet on it. Somewhere in the archives are a few comic shop horror stories threads, we had some doozies. But last year I had a guy in the store angrily asking "Is Cap still an N-word" and I'm shocked I didn't get fired for how poorly I handled that situation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I'd bet on it. Somewhere in the archives are a few comic shop horror stories threads, we had some doozies. But last year I had a guy in the store angrily asking "Is Cap still an N-word" and I'm shocked I didn't get fired for how poorly I handled that situation.

Don't be so hard on your self, just because you failed to throat punch him and kick him in the balls while he was gasping for air doesn't mean you would have deserved firing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Don't be so hard on your self, just because you failed to throat punch him and kick him in the balls while he was gasping for air doesn't mean you would have deserved firing.

I was pretty profane. My former boss asked me why I cared so much about it since I was white.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

RKO outta nowhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINLR7a9sZU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

I was pretty profane. My former boss asked me why I cared so much about it since I was white.

I would have throat punched him too for that comment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I would have throat punched him too for that comment.

I could yap for hours about how much personal discovery I have made since leaving the store and realizing how toxic of a work place it was. But this thread isn't about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

While my LCS owner isn’t a fan of 90s EXTREME bullshit, he is very much a ‘PC gone mad’ kind of guy. He’s the biggest Trump supporter I know, believes every right-wing conspiracy you can think of, and will go into rants about how Marvel’s diversity has become literally the worst thing ever in history at the drop of a hat.

The only reason he’s still open is because every other shop is a 30+ minute drive away, though he’s doing a pretty drat good job at running the store into the ground at this point.

• Locked thread