Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually maybe also ask your toddler boy if he's just way into little Emily's Hello Kitty shirt that you forced on her!

e: that is a loving awful page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Butt Detective posted:

Also, my pet peeve is that I don't have an asbestos mouth and food takes too long to cool down

Sounds like a good way to get mesothelimolar

I'll show myself out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The worst is people who will act like they can't tell what's toxic and what's just harmless in terms of gender roles. My mom knows how I am about this stuff, so she was "surprised" that we dress my daughter in pink sometimes or in a nice dress for her party. No, that's nothing mom, it's no better or worse than putting blue shorts on a boy. It's a color, it's a cut. We choose what we like on her, she chooses what she wants to put on that day, she's one, calm down. I'm not fighting to tear down gender and force grey turtlenecks on the populace, I simply want the expression of gender to be a fully personal choice and not attacked by others.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

My Lovely Horse posted:

Overheard a few moms the other day. One was talking about how their kid was "finally growing into a girl" and how it was about time because only a few weeks ago "we went shopping and they had all those cute pink Hello Kitty pyjamas and what does she go for, the blue Batman pyjamas for boys". Then they started shipping the 5-6 year old girl and toddler they had with them. "Oh he's always looking at Emily isn't he, always flirting with Emily." Yeah maybe ask Emily sometime how she feels about you making her into a passive object of affection for boys who don't yet have object permanence.

so I guess my pet peeve is parents mindlessly propagating traditional gender identities and gender-based social dynamics or maybe I just need to cut way down on my reading the Guardian

You... actually said “shipping.” I had to do a triple-take. I thought that was a purely tumblr/slash fiction weirdo term. Plso please don’t use it again here because all I get is flashbacks to the tumblr threads *shudder*

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:40 on May 17, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thin Privilege posted:

You... actually said “shipping.” I had to do a triple-take. I thought that was a purely tumblr/slash fiction weirdo term. Plso please don’t use it again here because all I get is flashbacks to the tumblr threads *shudder*
It's a pretty common term these days. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

It's a pretty common term these days. :shrug:

That's not a good thing, tiggum.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

For that particular circumstance I think the term is extremely appropriate.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm torn because 'shipping' is a trash word most commonly applied in a trashy fanfiction context and I hate it, but I don't want to be one of the people who fight against our constantly evolving lexicon like people who still bother to correct things like 'literally'.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I will never associate it with any other meaning besides "I want to see or read about them loving", which is always what the people who regularly use it mean.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
gently caress goons who quote enormous posts just to post “oh cool” or what have you

And gently caress goons who post spoiler tags that are just links

If I hit a spoiler tag and immediately get linked what I’m gonna do is close the page as it loads and ignore the post you rear end in a top hat

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I will never associate it with any other meaning besides "I want to see or read about them loving", which is always what the people who regularly use it mean.

Yeah, this.

Hence why talking about “shipping” kids is super loving gross and weird.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All I can say is I considered it carefully but shipping seemed the only appropriate term. These ladies were the sort who are 100% gonna egg the kid on to give the girl a smooch on the cheek as soon as he's able to walk.

Presumably out of no more sinister motives than getting a cute facebook video out of it, but if you think about it, that's plenty sinister enough.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've seen this episode of Black Mirror.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Hence why talking about “shipping” kids is super loving gross and weird.
It sounds gross and weird because it's describing gross and weird behaviour. Talking about little kids "flirting" with each other is shipping them. It's a perfectly apt way to describe that.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Once again waiting in a crowded parking lot on some automotive ballet dancer trying to reverse into a parking space. If only your dad had attempted rear entry, I wouldn't have to deal with this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

It sounds gross and weird because it's describing gross and weird behaviour. Talking about little kids "flirting" with each other is shipping them. It's a perfectly apt way to describe that.

It comes from a different place though. It's just one of those things parents say to each other because they think it's "cute" or whatever. It's like how parents will tell each other how beautiful their ugly baby is. They don't really mean it, it's just small talk for parents.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

Flirting =/= shipping

vv

It comes from a different place though. It's just one of those things parents say to each other because they think it's "cute" or whatever. It's like how parents will tell each other how beautiful their ugly baby is. They don't really mean it, it's just small talk for parents.

————————————

E: I call 2 of my cats boyfriends but I would never say “I ship Butters and Fluffy” because that implies they’re having sex. And that’s wrong BECAUSE applying sexual terms to beings that aren’t sexual/able to consent/innocent/young/have no knowledge of sex/etc is GROSS.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 17:59 on May 18, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Flirting =/= shipping
Flirting is not shipping. Saying that one child is flirting with another child is shipping. Because shipping is projecting sexual or romantic intentions onto other people/characters. And that's exactly what's happening there. The baby is not flirting. That is not a thing babies do. That's in your (or whoever's) head.

Thin Privilege posted:

I call 2 of my cats boyfriends
Well, that's weird. And it is shipping. That's what "shipping" means.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

What do you think two parents would do if the kids they are joking about flirting with each other started making out?

Now, what do you think a tumblrite would do if david tennant and benedict cumberbatch started making out?

Do you not see a distinction there?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What do you think two parents would do if the kids they are joking about flirting with each other started making out?

Now, what do you think a tumblrite would do if david tennant and benedict cumberbatch started making out?

Do you not see a distinction there?

Well, neither group actually expects it to happen and I don't think even they know how they'd react if it did. In both cases it's a fantasy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My point is only one of those scenarios would result in furious masturbation. Like I siad, the comments come from different places. If the kids actually acted out the "fantasy" (which it isn't, but using your words...), they would be instantly separated and scolded, because the parents don't actually think or want them to enter into a romantic relationship with each other.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat, that offhanded turn of phrase is getting wreeecckkkeedddd u guys

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My phone loses battery EXTREMELY quickly. I need a new phone

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Phone related: my phone only gets wifi reception on the left half of my bed. I like to lay on my left side but i cant when im on my phone because it will suddenly switch to "connected but no internet". It's by far the worst thing in my apartment. I would just move the bed but theres nowhere to move it to.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

oldpainless posted:

you need a replacement battery before your current one starts leaking

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I need to stop forgetting my goddamned water bottle at home. I bought it explicitly so I wouldn't have to spend money on water at work, which they should offer for free but whatever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sociopastry posted:

I need to stop forgetting my goddamned water bottle at home. I bought it explicitly so I wouldn't have to spend money on water at work, which they should offer for free but whatever.

Do you work for Nestle?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I work at a hospital. You would think there would be free water available, at least for employees.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Sociopastry posted:

I work at a hospital. You would think there would be free water available, at least for employees.

There’s no water fountains?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Peeve: We have two computers in the family room. Because I play games and watch shows and don't want to be a total bastard, I use a headset. My mom, however, uses speakers at max. I don't always have the headset on because they aren't loving soundproof, and eventually it gets uncomfortable. So I get the joy of hearing hours of Facebook videos until I relent and put the headset on, and find something to play at max volume.

Peeve: "thoughts and prayers" in relations to any loving thing but especially school shootings.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 02:56 on May 19, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sociopastry posted:

Do patients not got free water? Are you posting from a dystopian corporate future?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do patients not got free water? Are you posting from a dystopian corporate future?
LOL if you think patients get any loving thing for free in a hospital, at least in the US. :911:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

LOL if you think patients get any loving thing for free in a hospital, at least in the US. :911:

I was in the hospital last year in :911: and I got free water AND juice

Or maybe that was included in the 5000 dollar bill...

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

There’s no water fountains?

If it's like any place I've worked, there are drinking fountains but if you drink the water from them you will be puking for the next 16 hours so it's a net loss.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Water fountain peeve: when there is such low water pressure that you practically have to make out with the spout to get any water. Also people who spit gum in them. It doesn't really effect me but it's gross to stare at while i'm trying to drink.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My workplace has water fountains, but the water in them is nasty (like all of our tap water) and I'm sorry, I can't get past nasty-tasting water for the sake of the planet or not spending a dollar while I'm there.

Yeah yeah, I'm a terrible person buying into a scam and funding terrible people and killing mother nature, whatever. I'm getting a water filter for home, so hopefully I'll cut back on it soon.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If it's like any place I've worked, there are drinking fountains but if you drink the water from them you will be puking for the next 16 hours so it's a net loss.

Pretty much. Plus I've seen people straight up puke blood in that thing, I'm not going near it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pandora: stop playing the same loop of 15 songs in the same order every time.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Sociopastry posted:

Pretty much. Plus I've seen people straight up puke blood in that thing, I'm not going near it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

:eyepop:

Do you guys not have health/water inspectors?

I have some ridiculous need to always drink water (I don’t have diabetes) and I’ve never gotten sick from a water fountain. Jesus.

Water fountain peeve: when there is such low water pressure that you practically have to make out with the spout to get any water. Also people who spit gum in them. It doesn't really effect me but it's gross to stare at while i'm trying to drink.

And this. Luckily there’s usually another fountain nearby that has better pressure.

At worst, I literally drink out of the sink faucets. Water in hand, hand to mouth. No longer thirsty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Hirayuki posted:

My hospital always gives me free water and ice when I’m there. I only get charged for the procedures (which includes doctors time). They also completely wiped my 6K debt. It’s so rare but sometimes there are good places in this poo poo country :911:

E: they also have REALLY good food.

I think this place is a needle in a haystack.