Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Made my first brisket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Reminds me of when I attempted to clean out the ash in my smoker with compressed air.

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t really drink coffee, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

Go to costco and get a 2 gallon can of nacho cheese sauce.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t really drink coffee, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

Guy in my office takes all the empties from the break room for... stuff.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah a coffee can would work, most are plastic now though but I know of a few that still come in metal.

I think the second beans can I got was about the size of a coffee can.

We looked for a metal coffee can at the store but didn’t find one.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I ordered a Smoke. The ET-733 has bit the dust. Coincidentally I couldn't pass up the current sale on Thermoworks stuff, as 15% off is about as good as it gets.

Sextro posted:

Tell me more. I want a slow n sear but before I get one I have a 10lb picnic ham that needs to be cooked.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/how-set-charcoal-grill-smoking-or

Read, learn, become a god

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

RisqueBarber posted:

Made my first brisket

Looks good, how long?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Looks good, how long?

8 hours of cooking 4 hours of resting. Got it to 185, pulled it and put it in the cooler until it cooled to 145 then I sliced it and ate it

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

Made my first brisket

This looks good.

I have too many tomatoes and chilis to know what to do with so I made bbq tortilla soup. I rubbed the chicken in annatto, lime juice, garlic, salt and peanut oil. Basically conchinita pibil rub. I smoked that stuff, added it to several pasilla chilis and an ancho in the pot then poached it. When the chicken was right I took that out, blended it up and served. It was absurd.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 17, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

RisqueBarber posted:

8 hours of cooking 4 hours of resting. Got it to 185, pulled it and put it in the cooler until it cooled to 145 then I sliced it and ate it

This seems low for a brisket, was it probe tender at 185?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Small but many! They're about 3.5 lbs trimmed, which is smaller than I wanted but they were cheap so what the heck. Overnight cook tonight, but it's only 40f and windy out there so I think the WSM will be cranky. I don't see many hours of uninterrupted sleep in my future.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

This seems low for a brisket, was it probe tender at 185?

Yes but not too tender. The butcher I bought it from recommended I pull at 185. He said he's tried pulling it at 200, 195, and lower and found that 185 was the best. This is my first one so I couldn't tell you the difference

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo. I think this the longest plateau I've ever had, especially with these small butts. I'm at hour 14 now and it's still locked at 180. I probed one and it feels dry as gently caress.

I know I could foil them or stick them in the oven, but now I'm curious and want to let it run it's course. For science! :eng101:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

so I made bbq tortilla soup.

great idea and that looks loving amazing. well done!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I'm gonna do either a big pork butt or some more ribs this weekend but I want a very complex rub. I am going to make my own powder out of whole dried ancho chilis, some espresso beans, and some chocolate but I'm curious if all of that will get too bitter if it smokes forever.

I think it it will work though.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

Holy poo poo. I think this the longest plateau I've ever had, especially with these small butts. I'm at hour 14 now and it's still locked at 180. I probed one and it feels dry as gently caress.

I know I could foil them or stick them in the oven, but now I'm curious and want to let it run it's course. For science! :eng101:

Hour 16. 185! This is freaking crazy. The temp is 240ish. I think I'm going to bump up the heat and see if I can power through this. It's going to be amazing pulled pork or amazing jerky.

Edit - At hour 17 it crept up to 195 and I called it done. This is the worst BBQ I've ever made. Seriously. The meat is dry and wouldn't pull. I ended up chopping it. I think i'll freeze most of it and maybe use it in baked beans or something. I've been BBQing for 5+ years and this was a clusterfuck unlike any. For those who say that it's hard to screw up PP, remember me!

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 18, 2018

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Sextro posted:

Tell me more. I want a slow n sear but before I get one I have a 10lb picnic ham that needs to be cooked.

You just make a ring of charcoal around the edge of the bottom grill grate. Make it about two coals wide and two coals high, but if you have some broken coals you wanna use you don't have to be super anal about it. Set some pieces of wood on top of the coals. I just buy the chunks from the grocery store, if they're too big I split em with a little hatchet. Put a water pan in the center, or don't. Sometimes I use one of those disposable cake pans and they fit right in.

Light one end of the coals with a blowtorch or one of those electric deals or by starting a few more coals in a chimney. Stick the thermometer probe thru a wad of foil and put it on the grate near the meat, and every two or three beers take a gander at the thermometer and nudge a vent accordingly.

If I make a snake that goes nearly all the way around I can get 12 or so hours at 225-250 without ever having to add more coal or wood. Couldn't be more idiot proof.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Canuckistan posted:

Hour 16. 185! This is freaking crazy. The temp is 240ish. I think I'm going to bump up the heat and see if I can power through this. It's going to be amazing pulled pork or amazing jerky.

Edit - At hour 17 it crept up to 195 and I called it done. This is the worst BBQ I've ever made. Seriously. The meat is dry and wouldn't pull. I ended up chopping it. I think i'll freeze most of it and maybe use it in baked beans or something. I've been BBQing for 5+ years and this was a clusterfuck unlike any. For those who say that it's hard to screw up PP, remember me!

Nah, don't beat yourself up there are always tough pigs. I had one like yours and it became a personal vendetta just to see who would win the battle. But ultimately I lost the war.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

I had that happen to me and ended up taking it off the bbq and throwing it in a slow cooker for 24 hours or so (with just a dash of apple juice). That fixed that sucker good.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

RisqueBarber posted:

Yes but not too tender. The butcher I bought it from recommended I pull at 185. He said he's tried pulling it at 200, 195, and lower and found that 185 was the best. This is my first one so I couldn't tell you the difference

Gotcha. Every piece of meat is different, don't let anyone tell you a definitive finish temperature. Looks like a good first cook though.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Back on the horse! Small prime rib on the weber kettle with hickory. I'll smoke until 125 and then reverse sear to finish.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Anyone do ribs on a gasser?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyone do ribs on a gasser?

Not since I got a charcoaler. When I did I just rubbed and foiled for the entire cook.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Not since I got a charcoaler. When I did I just rubbed and foiled for the entire cook.

Remember how long they took roughly?

This is one of those things where I'm thinking I shouldn't attempt it, but due to life's circumstances going to give it a go and learn from it.

I'm kinda curious what the grill temps will be. This will be on some no-name grill.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s just ribs. If you over cook em they fall of the bone much like praise from everyone else falls into your lap.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Remember how long they took roughly?

This is one of those things where I'm thinking I shouldn't attempt it, but due to life's circumstances going to give it a go and learn from it.

I'm kinda curious what the grill temps will be. This will be on some no-name grill.

I do not mind fall off the bone ribs. I just set the grill at like 300 and let them go for most of the day. Really cannot overcook them if foiled. Unless you dig having more tooth to the meat. You can unfoil and crisp up toward the time you want to eat.

sellouts posted:

It’s just ribs. If you over cook em they fall of the bone much like praise from everyone else falls into your lap.

Disclaimer: As long as you do not leave rib ends with jagged slivers of bones. Spare ribs are a bitch of you do not trim off the shrapnel end.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've done ribs a couple times on my gas smoker. Around 6 hours at 225 and they were a little tough (st. louis). I have also baby backs doing the 2-2-1.5ish method, and they were a little better but I still think they needed a little more. My smoker always seems to take longer than everyone else's that I read about online though, so take it with a grain of salt. Just use the "bend test" for ribs to see when they're done.

My test is usually the "stomach is growling, time to pull them off" method. :v:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I do ribs on a gas grill, but mine does indirect cooking very well in that it holds a very steady low temperature.

Put them on a metal sheet pan with some wire racks so they aren't being exposed directly to the burner. Even if the burner is on the other side of the grill some residual heat will waft over, putting them on a pan helps keep the meat cooking via indirect heat only.

I'm doing a couple of small boston butts on the gas grill today actually, I'll take some pictures later.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How often would you re-add wood when smoking ribs? I put about 4oz of hickory in, but lost some reopening it to put the pit probe inside (argh) and there is basically no visible smoke after 30 mins. Last time I think it lasted longer, but I still only had about 3mm of smoke ring.

I’m thinking of adding another 4oz (apple this time if it matters) at the hour mark. I have to take the meat and ceramic disk out so it’s a pain and loses a lot of temp for 15 mins, so I don’t want to do it more than I need to.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This new cookbook I just got has a recipe for what are basically homemade McRibs.

So I’mma do that later this week.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This new cookbook I just got has a recipe for what are basically homemade McRibs.

So I’mma do that later this week.

I just ordered the poo poo out of that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Subjunctive posted:

How often would you re-add wood when smoking ribs? I put about 4oz of hickory in, but lost some reopening it to put the pit probe inside (argh) and there is basically no visible smoke after 30 mins. Last time I think it lasted longer, but I still only had about 3mm of smoke ring.

I’m thinking of adding another 4oz (apple this time if it matters) at the hour mark. I have to take the meat and ceramic disk out so it’s a pain and loses a lot of temp for 15 mins, so I don’t want to do it more than I need to.

I do 4oz at the start, then another 4oz when it stops smoking, usually 30-45 mins in. No more smoke after that.

Doing a couple racks today actually.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

I just ordered the poo poo out of that.

If you’re looking for the recipe I mentioned, check the table of contents for “The 3-2-1 Rib Sandwich”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I do 4oz at the start, then another 4oz when it stops smoking, usually 30-45 mins in. No more smoke after that.

Doing a couple racks today actually.

Thanks, I feel smart now.

If you’re looking for the recipe I mentioned, check the table of contents for “The 3-2-1 Rib Sandwich”.

I'm not a huge fan of 3-2-1 (my bark), but I'll check it out.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I think Serious Eats (who else) has a recipe for a McRib clone, if you don't want to spend money on a book by a man who appears to live on a golf course in Arizona and/or has a questionable beard and haircut.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not a huge fan of 3-2-1 (my bark), but I'll check it out.

Not sure if this makes a difference but the recipe actually calls for baby backs and even says that it’s more of a 2-1-1 rib sandwich. Also the middle step is partly to make it easy to remove the bones, because you’re just sticking the whole rack in the bread to make the sandwich.

So... y’know... your call.

VERTiG0 posted:

I think Serious Eats (who else) has a recipe for a McRib clone, if you don't want to spend money on a book by a man who appears to live on a golf course in Arizona and/or has a questionable beard and haircut.

Raichlen ain’t much to look at in book or TV form, but the man knows his way around a grill. Maybe not quite as well as the Amazing Ribs guys (he still tells you to soak your wood chips in TYOOL 2018), but I still love his recipes.

EDIT: FYI that book has several recipes for grilled SALAD. Yes, it turns out you can grill salad! Also I have every recipe in the breakfast chapter bookmarked.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 21, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I was just gifted about a dozen big chunks of hickory that I need to dry out and chop into smaller pieces. :toot:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Raichlen ain’t much to look at in book or TV form, but the man knows his way around a grill. Maybe not quite as well as the Amazing Ribs guys (he still tells you to soak your wood chips in TYOOL 2018), but I still love his recipes.

I guess he's good for normal folk who still think soaking wood is fine, but yeah he knows whats up. He must be pandering to the lowest common denominator to sell books or whatever.

QuarkMartial posted:

I was just gifted about a dozen big chunks of hickory that I need to dry out and chop into smaller pieces. :toot:

gently caress yes

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I made it—my last quarter of the last bag of Royal Oak that I bought at the Labor Day sale is in the hopper for my next grill this week.
BOLO for Memorial Day sales on charcoal and charcoal accessories.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EDIT: FYI that book has several recipes for grilled SALAD. Yes, it turns out you can grill salad! Also I have every recipe in the breakfast chapter bookmarked.

I grill salads a lot. Endive/radicchio as a base, thick slices of zucchini that I can cut into chunks, a baguette, maybe a flank steak. It’s a real crowd pleaser!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hed posted:

I made it—my last quarter of the last bag of Royal Oak that I bought at the Labor Day sale is in the hopper for my next grill this week.
BOLO for Memorial Day sales on charcoal and charcoal accessories.

I will do this.

Also what is this “charcoal hopper” you speak of?