Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Defenestration posted:

guy runs into an abandoned factory floor to find a hot blond woman dead on the floor with a gunshot wound. he is sad. He puts up a No Guns sign outside and then REWINDS TIME with his pocket watch, only to run up and still find the blond woman dead. He repeats this several more times with increasingly large and huge numbers of signs. She is still dead every time. Then he leaves a gun by her body and rewinds time again. This time when he arrives she PULLS THE GUN ON HIM and shoots but the chamber clicks empty. We pan around to see she has shot an anonymous badguy who is dead on the floor. Fin.

*squint* Wait...so she almost accidentally kills the guy who tried to save her? And only didn't because of restricted magazine sizes? *squint*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

That's a joke right

If it is, it's the same kind of joke as that Pickle Rick guy in McDonalds, where it's somehow more embarrassing than if it was earnest.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If anyone happens to find audio of someone trying to rap this, you have a moral obligation to share it here.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If anyone happens to find audio of someone trying to rap this, you have a moral obligation to share it here.

What if Kanye raps it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

What if Kanye wrote it?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

There's a truism that the great men of history are rarely good men. To do historically "great" things, you probably have to be a real rear end in a top hat and a complete sociopath if you want to sleep well at night.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Afriscipio posted:

There's a truism that the great men of history are rarely good men. To do historically "great" things, you probably have to be a real rear end in a top hat and a complete sociopath if you want to sleep well at night.

Hey now Stalin was a pretty chill dude except for a few hiccups here and there.

Meanwhile Churchill is apparently personally responsible for something like 3 million dead Indians during WW2 because he siphoned off all the food from the country and personally intervened to prevent efforts to alleviate the situation. Even when Axis forces were offering food for free he refused to accept the food. Even going so far to continue taking food out of India for while the British Islands had more than enough food. He thought it would be a good idea to stock up food to sell after the war.

Edit: Oh yeah and after the war he boasted that India was never touched by the war due to the protection of Britain. With reference to that he had hoped to be able to wipe Britain's financial debt to India. Even though India was left to defend itself against Japanese attack and had tens of thousands of men fighting to defend British colonies in Africa.

Katt fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 17, 2018

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Harem? Sounds like sharia law. Other than the fact that this is basically someone writing their fantasy about loving Tomi Lahren, it’s hilarious that they chose to do it in the form of rap. Their fear of the black man is infinite

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Defenestration posted:

This time when he arrives she PULLS THE GUN ON HIM and shoots but the chamber clicks empty. We pan around to see she has shot an anonymous badguy who is dead on the floor. Fin.
This sounds like an argument for magazine capacity restrictions honestly.

drat it, beaten on the new page

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 17, 2018

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Kit Walker posted:

Harem? Sounds like sharia law. Other than the fact that this is basically someone writing their fantasy about loving Tomi Lahren,

Not an individual fantasy, though, since it sounds like they all share her. I think it's about the camaraderie of being in the sloppy 32nd percentile, or celebrating the sloppy seconds amendment.

Or insert your own awkward forced pun.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Kit Walker posted:

Harem? Sounds like sharia law. Other than the fact that this is basically someone writing their fantasy about loving Tomi Lahren, it’s hilarious that they chose to do it in the form of rap. Their fear of the black man is infinite
It's virtue signalling. Look at how desperate the author is to tie himself to banging a hot white girl, American Sniper (tm), driving an F150, and being a proud boy.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I appreciate the verisimilitude the author provided by admitting that even in a fantasy encounter his sexual partner would be left unsatisfied.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://sites.google.com/site/mullsengineeringmanagement/ho-ho-1/sex-and-mathematics

Found this on a Discord channel for my university.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 18, 2018

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
:getin:

https://twitter.com/delusionalcons/status/996711733363429377

InsertPotPun posted:

*squint* Wait...so she almost accidentally kills the guy who tried to save her? And only didn't because of restricted magazine sizes? *squint*
:omarcomin:

you got a time travel device and you still done hosed up

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sign me the gently caress up :ussr:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Conservatives continue to make their opponents look 3-5 times more badass than they are.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
:) - me!
:smugbert: - that one Conservative "friend" in our circle who represents the voice of so many GOP folks all over the world. Usually, I would sever with people like this but having a lone voice of insanity in my world is a sobering reminder of life outside my happy little bubble.
:( - said Conservative's mother
:australia: - my cousin who emigrated from the US to Australia years ago, recently became a citizen there
:rolleyes: & :stare: - two like-minded friends of mine who wonder why I keep :smugbert: as a friend

TL/DR - :smugbert: offers the same bullshit response regurgitated over the past few decades now, the rest of us aren't having it.

:smugbert: 22 school shootings this year? Is that the Everytown number?
(of course, any school shooting is a problem and tragedy.)

:) Apparently 3 just this week.

:smugbert: Interesting. That includes a link to the CNN list here:
https://www.cnn.com/.../school-shootings-2018.../index.html
This is a bit like the Everytown folks in that several of these were incidents that happened to occur in or near a school, without involving students, BB guns, etc.
The problem with saying there have been 22 school shootings this year is that many people take to mean that there have been 22 events on par with Parkland. That makes it really hard to have a useful discussion about solutions if these are all treated with equal weight.
Shapiro also took issue with the way these are counted, with the same basic complaint I had:
https://www.dailywire.com/.../cnn-says-there-have-been-22...

:)For fucks sake, man...are you for real?

:australia: Since 1996 when a gun man killed 35 people and Australia signed into effect some of the toughest gun laws in the world - we have had two mass shootings. In 2014 a farmer shot his wife, three children and then himself. Last week a father killed six members of his family and then himself. That’s 12 people killed in 2 seperate mass shootings in over twenty years, none of them at schools. Please continue to believe that gun control laws don’t work. Please continue to explain away the lost lives of your countries children as long as they are not your own children. Definitely keep believing that ranking shootings properly is the way to start the discussion. If 1 school shooting isn’t enough, it’s unlikely there is any number that will call the land of my birth into Action.

:( Too many people don't even bring up the 10 murdered at Columbine 19 years ago any more or the TWENTY small children were murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary 5 years ago last Dec.14 who would have turned 12 years old this current school year. NRA doesn't want any children of other schools murdered even mentioned. How long will the children murdered today be remembered? GOP legislators smeared the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas who spoke out after 17 were murdered there Feb. 14 THIS year. So asking if the number of shootings is accurate isn't the question to argue in my opinion. Lives lost is the issue, and so much more.

:smugbert: If you accept the basic premise that there is a significant difference between one student getting shot by a BB gun at a school and 17 people being murdered in a mass shooting at a school, then yes, those differences matter. Shapiro's review of the CNN list says that when you focus on the typical definition of a mass shooting then there were 7 so far this year. Which is 7 too many, of course. Nobody wants our schools to get shot up.

If you're looking for solutions then it's important to understand the problem.

Is your solution is the confiscation of every privately owned firearm in the US?

:) would that save the lives of those ten kids were supposed to graduate on Sunday? Then f*** yes.

:) by the way this kid wasn't on the law enforcement radar, didnt have any known mental health issues, and used guns legally owned by family members. Are we supposed to accept that s*** like this is supposed to happen and bummer about it? What's your solution?

:smugbert: I've heard a lot of commentary about the Australian response to the Port Arthur shooting. The critics point out that they didn't confiscate all firearms in the country, and that the gun violence rate was already declining.

http://www.slate.com/.../did_gun_control_stop_mass......See More

:) you seem to do a lot of research, so you probably have an opinion formulated for yourself. What's your solution to stop children from being murdered in school? There was already an armed resource officer there, would you have added two or three?

:smugbert: I fully understand the desire to do something to stop tragedies like this from occurring. Nobody wants more dead children.

We also have a moral responsibility to make sure the solutions don't introduce more severe consequences. The cries to ban and confiscate privately owned firearms (estimated at over 300M) ignore defensive uses of a firearm. Defensive gun use (DGU) is terribly difficult to track as it's severely under-reported, but at the low end of most estimates, it's anywhere from 100,000 to 1.25M times per year. That lower end is still about 100x more often used for defense than the firearm homicide rate. And the gun is only fired about a quarter of the times one is used defensively; most crimes are deterred by simply brandishing the weapon.

https://www.forbes.com/.../that-time-the-cdc-asked-about.../

To your question about how to deter or prevent further school shootings, look at how we protect other areas that are dear to us. We have armed guards and even metal detectors at places like airports, banks, and government buildings. We harden defenses in those locations and make it harder for bad guys to do bad things. For some reason, we refuse to protect our schools accordingly. Guards, armed teachers (among those qualified who want to carry with a CCW) and the like are the best deterrents because these shooters/monsters/whatever are looking for a body count, not a firefight. They fold as soon as they're confronted by armed responders. You may remember a few years back there was a guy in LA who shot up a Jewish community center. After he was apprehended, he'd admitted that his first target was a Jewish school but that their security was too high so he moved on to a softer target.

The reasons people commit these acts vary and so will the solutions. Realistically, it will take a combination of parental involvement, better mental health procedures, and other measures like tighter security at soft targets. Gun-free zones just tell a shooter they have 10 minutes to rack up a body count before someone confronts them.

Taking away the ability for law-abiding citizens to defend themselves is a short-sighted solution that will harm more people than it saves.

:) dude there was an armed resource officer there at the school, and 10 people still died. I don't think you understand how infuriating you are because you're literally saying what people have been saying ever since Columbine, and nothing ever changes.

:rolleyes: Yadda Yadda yadda. Typical NRA BS. You've got the propaganda down pat. Deflect , delay and offer no solutions. To you our kids are nothing but collateral damage.

:australia: there are just as many studies and opinions that the Australian laws have been effective in reducing mass shootings, gun suicides, and armed crime as there are that the laws have had little to no effect. I don’t know of any studies that say the laws have harmed Australia. They didn’t confiscate all firearms because it’s not illegal to own firearms, ownership is just now restricted. We did just run a 2nd amnesty collection last year that saw more than 28,000 guns surrendered.
Yes, yes there is the 2nd amendment. There is also the 15th and 19th amendments to the constitution Perhaps they represent an evolving society.
I believe that you and I could easily enjoy a night together intelligently discussing and debating a number of issues. Because like myself you seem like a guy who too enjoys good debate with well informed people. When does the debate change to action? In 1996 a massacre took the lives of 35 people. It shocked a nation. Right or wrong politicians took drastic steps to try and help ensure that it never happened again. 2018, 7 people die in a mass shooting and again a nation is shocked, conversation resumes on both sides about how effective the laws are. The grand total of those killed by mass shootings since the laws changed is now 12. The Columbine massacre was in 1999. It shocked a nation. Politicians sent prayers and tinkered with some various laws in its aftermath. 2018 - yet another school shooting takes the lives of children. It upsets a nation and debate about what to do again resumes on both sides. Politicians continue to send prayers and look at tinkering with some laws. I don’t even want to know how many people have been killed in mass shootings in America since 1999. What is overwhelming clear here is that debate and talk do not directly save lives. When does action begin? Does every possible angle need to resolved and agreed upon prior to execution of a plan? Does every single person need to agree on the plan prior to implementation? Inactions continue to cost innocent lives. That sentence alone should spring every one into action.

:stare: seriously?!? We are worried abt the number of shootings not the fact that CHILDREN are dying in their schools.

:smugbert: You're talking about one resource officer; one armed responder. Some of the other suggestions I mentioned involved metal detectors, additional armed guards and other hardened measures.

:smugbert: :rolleyes: It's hard to remain civil when confronting your kind of response.

I'll try my best.

What I wrote was not some standard NRA defense. Nobody in the NRA or the rest of the nation wants more dead children. The suggestion otherwise is ignorant and insulting. The NRA doesn't wield influence because of political donations, they wield influence because they represent 5M Americans who, by and large, are responsible, educated and trained gun-owners.

Propaganda is blaming the NRA for all of this and accusing anyone who suggests looking at solutions short of confiscation as their stooge.

You didn't offer any solutions, either. I proposed increasing defenses, improving the number of armed responders on campus, etc.

What we're really discussing are options to reduce the odds of more children being killed. If we distort the scale and scope of the problem by over-fitting cases that are not applicable, we aren't focusing on the cases in question and the solutions that might have affected those events from having happened in the first place.

The most recent couple of shootings involved firearms owned by the shooter's parents, who later claim they have no idea how their kids got those guns. Maybe one of the solutions are gun-safes with biometrics. Who knows?

I'm all in favor of trying to find a solution to the problem. I'm also in favor of finding solutions that would actually have changed outcomes without the unintended consequences of putting even more people in greater danger.

When I talk about DGU, it's because we don't have any way of knowing what would have happened had the gun owner not had a weapon at their disposal.

:) like a prison. You are suggesting kids go to prison everyday. So people can have as many guns as they want.

Again, I don't think you understand how infuriating your arguments are. Instead of looking at the core problem which is such easy access to fire power, you are literally putting the burden on the Innocents. You want children to go through metal detectors, wear clear backpacks, and learn under the constant presence of firearms in the hands of "good guys" instead of even considering the idea of reducing the insane amount of guns in this country.

One of the victims of today's tragedy said she wasn't surprised it happened because it's happening everywhere. They had groups of school children lined up on the football field emptying their backpacks, to prove they weren't the gunman. These are children, growing up in America doing crisis drills. Elementary school kids crying because their light up shoes can be seen when the classroom lights turn out, and worrying that they will lure gunmen into their room and kill their classmates. This s*** is real, and the fact that people like you argue in favor of protecting people's rights to carry guns over the rights of innocent school children to feel safe in their own classroom is insane.

Another infuriating part of your argument is arguing about gun-free zones making schools a soft target. We have had multiple mass shootings in movie theaters. Think about that, are you suggesting we also treat movie theaters like you want to treat schools? With armed guards, metal detectors, Etc. Okay so let's turn movie theaters into similar secure locations. what about grocery stores or malls? You have large numbers of people milling about with multiple ways to get in and one guy can go in and shoot it up so let's make that a hard target as well. Armed guards, metal detectors, Etc. Your example of a guy moving on to a softer target literally just means you want our entire society live under fear of the gun.

forgive us for being completely done with these kinds ridiculous responses to these tragedies. Children that were supposed to graduate from high school on Sunday are dead. We'd like to try to keep this from happening again, and wringing our hands over statistics and arguing over what actually counts as a mass shooting, and offering no real solutions besides keeping an eye on kids and mandatory gun safes or something is infuriating.

I would actually argue people in the NRA do want children dead because of the insane amount of vitriol against the Parkland survivors who are just trying to prevent the shootings that they survived from happening again. And don't pretend you haven't seen it, the number of people who have turned those children into literal targets for target practice. Or openly advocating for their deaths. Or their sexual assaults. Again, NRA members openly calling for the deaths of school shooting survivors.

:smugbert: I understand the frustration. I'm not blaming the innocents. I'm not blaming kids. Adults have obviously failed them in a number of ways. Parkland was an unfortunately outstanding example of that. The NRA didn't have anything to do with Parkland, but the school system and the legal system in that city was an utter disaster. I can't speak to what some idiots did in response to the understandable student reaction. Assuming they speak for all 5M NRA members isn't helping, though.

I don't understand why when someone suggests hardening our schools, which are obvious and repeated soft targets, the comeback is an aversion to anything that makes them seem more like a "prison." We don't think that about banks, or courthouses or the White House. We defend places that we value, but we leave our schools with our most precious treasures vulnerable. We've left them as gun-free zones with at best one school resource officer who may or may not do their job when the time comes against a kid who's off their meds and better armed.

Is your counter-argument that we shouldn't try to defend the schools because it means we have to protect every place else as well? It seems like that relies on the same logic you think I'm misapplying. I say taking away guns may cause bigger problems, you say we need to do what we can. I'm saying we need to do what we can on the defensive side.

Likewise, increased issuance of CCWs means that we don't have to harden every location. The greater likelihood that a random person could be carrying reduces violent crime overall. Increased issuance of CCWs is second only to increased arrest rates in deterring violent crime. We don't have to arm everyone but letting those who want to do so responsibly can be disproportionately beneficial.

We both agree something needs to change. We disagree on what that is. In most mass shootings, the killer is a middle-class white male, who is off the psychotropic drugs they were put on as adolescents. Your argument that the availability of firepower causes these things doesn't hold up. South Central and Sylmar are awash in actual assault weapons and the schools there don't get shot up. Maybe it's because those areas don't tend to medicate their kids at the first hint of possible ADD or ADHD. One step would be adjusting medical privacy laws so a psychiatrist can notify parents or law enforcement when someone goes off their meds. That may or may not be applicable in this case, but it is in most mass-shootings.

I don't have answers on how to protect all of society. We could confiscate every firearm in this country -- or attempt to, because you won't get them all -- and dangerous people will still commit terrible acts of violence. The biggest acts of violence in this country were carried out with bombs, or trucks in the case of Nice on Bastille day when a guy killed over 80 people with a heavy truck.

We can't stop bad people from doing bad things all the time. Why not defend the places we hold dear?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

There is no reality in which my response to a "friend" like this isn't to tell him he's a complete fuckwit that is a supporter of child murder and that he should gently caress off and die.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Armed guards only work at banks and airports because people want to leave those alive.

Metal detectors. Ah yes lets routinely gather all students in a confined area as a means to prevent mass shootings :thunk:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Armed guards are more likely to arrest black students for things white students would face in-school discipline for, but that's probably a good thing in these pro-gun people's eyes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tell your friend to put his beloved gun in his mouth and remove at least one detriment to society.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Senju Kannon posted:

Armed guards are more likely to shoot black students for things white students would face in-school discipline for, but that's probably a good thing in these pro-gun people's eyes.

Fixed, let's be real here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously the solution is more armed guards to protect the students from the irresponsible armed guards.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be honest I'm genuinely shocked no one has tried 'we need to arm ALL students to stop the BAD ones'

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VorpalBunny's loving Moron Friend posted:

The NRA didn't have anything to do with Parkland, but the school system and the legal system in that city was an utter disaster.

What the gently caress does this even mean? Isn't Parkland basically a 21st century Mayberry?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Your friend references Shapiro a few times. All Shapiro does is place a weak intellectual facade on the same tired arguments. It helps keeping idiots tied to conservatism because they think he sounds smart.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Did you all know that we've known the cure for cancer for decades but its been suppressed? Turns out some guy in the 1930s built some microscope that even with todays technology hasn't been bettered and he "theorized" that microorganisms vibrate and that he could kill them with the right vibration wavelength and that cures cancer or something but drug companies don't want that. A video shared on Facebook told me this you see.

:smithicide: I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of the video before stopping it, I'm sure it gets more crazy after that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Did you all know that we've known the cure for cancer for decades but its been suppressed? Turns out some guy in the 1930s built some microscope that even with todays technology hasn't been bettered and he "theorized" that microorganisms vibrate and that he could kill them with the right vibration wavelength and that cures cancer or something but drug companies don't want that. A video shared on Facebook told me this you see.

:smithicide: I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of the video before stopping it, I'm sure it gets more crazy after that.

That sounds like a weird version of the Tesla idea about being able to destroy entire buildings/ciites/continents/planets with resonant frequencies.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Everytime someone recommends metal detectors at schools I remember the stories from last year that showed how badly post-9/11 TSA measures failed to catch anything.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MelvinBison posted:

Everytime someone recommends metal detectors at schools I remember the stories from last year that showed how badly post-9/11 TSA measures failed to catch anything.

To be fair if airports had no metal detectors at all we would probably have had a lot more attacks on planes.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Surely you gun grabbers arent suggesting anything that could actually help? Why can’t you just accept that the blood of school children is necessary to water the tree of liberty. Being able to open carry an ar15 in chipotle is worth it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Faustian Bargain posted:

Surely you gun grabbers arent suggesting anything that could actually help? Why can’t you just accept that the blood of school children is necessary to water the tree of liberty. Being able to open carry an ar15 in chipotle is worth it.

I think that's why I continue to engage with him, and frankly expect these talking points when these shootings happen. Because they happen ALL THE TIME. I am morbidly curious to see if his steadfast opinions will ever waver.

His solution is never more than "harden the soft targets, engage the parents to be more aware, don't take guns from responsible folks" and it never seems to change. In Parkland, he followed the crowd to blame the FBI and school system, even though he was investigated as much as could be within the law and he was no longer a student at the school. Imagine if the FBI had confiscated the dude's guns before he committed this mass murder, I imagine the NRA would be up in arms about his rights being infringed.

And the cycle continues. Everyone retreats to their corners, screaming into the void, and nothing. ever. changes.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

I remember about 5 years ago I got an email advertising "the 8th element" cure for cancer that's apparently been around since the mid 1950s or so. It was some ebook/audio program available for only $97 that supposedly could cure any cancer no matter how advanced by introducing more oxygen into the body. I skimmed across the sales page and saw testimonials from clients and endorsements from homeopathic and holistic doctors from around the world. I wish I saved that email, just because it was so hilarious and sad at the same time that someone would actually believe a $97 ebook could teach them how to cure their cancer simply by breathing differently or whatever the hell else you're supposed to do to help facilitate oxygenation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vinny the Shark posted:

it was so hilarious and sad at the same time that someone would actually believe a $97 ebook could teach them how to cure their cancer simply by breathing differently or whatever the hell else you're supposed to do to help facilitate oxygenation.

When people are desperate and scared, they're easily victimized by even the most outrageous claims. :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, if you or a loved one is dying of cancer, grasping at straws starts looking awfully tempting. Maybe, just maybe, this miracle cure will actually help; etc

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, if you or a loved one is dying of cancer, grasping at straws starts looking awfully tempting. Maybe, just maybe, this miracle cure will actually help; etc

It also leads you down a rabbit hole to other bullshit scams. My mom started out getting those awful Kevin Trudeau books with the mentality of "Well it couldn't hurt to try" , and by the time the cancer got her she was "investing" in perpetual motion machines and drinking "miracle" cure-all water with minerals in it and was convinced that the moon landing was a hoax.

I was very happy when Kevin Trudeau got 10 years in prison for fraud, but when he gets out he still has most of his millions and will probably just resume scamming people. As long as people keep buying this stuff, hucksters will be out selling it to desperate people.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
It's a lovely summer sunday, so it's time for Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers!

a full 3/4 of the EPROW feed is now clickbait "BREAKING news out of OHIO" kind of posts, but if I stick to the photos only we can still get some gems

it's a REAL SHOCK to me that boy scouts are an organization where children have sex????

Tamir Rice

Photoshopping that Kehinde Wiley suit as if it doesn't make Obama 100x more swag than he actually is

the point was that Chris Farley's character was a total fool
(i'm sure these children would love to be in school learning about the constitution rather than being shot at and killed)

spoiler for uh, an eagle eating a duck

more people have died in school shootings this year than US military in foreign wars

if you were curious what it would take for EPROW to question police brutality, it's a muslim cop killing a white woman

there have been a lot of takes about what the trump presidency is all about but I'll save you the time and sum it up in two macros.

come to think of it I prob should add something racist too

ahh that's the stuff. close but no potato

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Defenestration posted:

the point was that Chris Farley's character was a total fool
(i'm sure these children would love to be in school learning about the constitution rather than being shot at and killed)
Holy poo poo, I can't believe this was the next logical step from those A Few Good Men memes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you really "study" the constitution? It's not a very large document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OwlFancier posted:

Can you really "study" the constitution? It's not a very large document.

People study individual poems.