Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

Yeah. I think with the Stalker I did 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM15 and medium lasers and no jumpjets. It ran a little hot. I never liked under-armoring things but maybe others could get away with it.
Stop putting m'lasers on LRM boats. If you're ever in a situation where you use them you're doing it wrong. Add more ammo/heatsinks/armor instead.

Also, I don't hear people talk about it much, but I prefer a highlander-733 for my campaign endgame assault LRM boating. It's got 3 more tons of space to work with over a stalker and can drop some armor safely on the right side since the missile slots are loaded on the left. I get that it's a waste of a good, more versatile mech with brawler capabilities when you are first getting assaults, but once you've got an Atlas II and a few King Crabs, it's not like it's going to get any other use.

EDIT
Mine is currently kitted with:
2x LRM 15++ listed as +2stab dmg but for whatever reason they actually do 5stab dmg/missile
1x LRM 15+++ +2stab dmg/+50% crit (if the above ones are an error that gets fixed I've got more of these)
1x LRM 20++ +2dmg - especially nice for ripping up vehicles with 120dmg volleys or for making GBS threads on braced scout mechs with breaching shot
TTS++ for +3 missile accuracy - not absolutely necessary but it helps ensure that a mech with some evasion pips up still gets a maxed stab dmg bar and loses them all from only 2 banks of missiles (it's also nice for training a newer pilot up - as long as they have multishot they're good to go)
5 tons of ammo, 8 heatsinks, 920 armor, and 1 JJ for getting unstuck

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Just post Grave Robbing, and I turned the Highlander into a 2x LRM 20 + Gauss + PPC sniper to supplement my 3x LRM 20 Orion. The Highlander's replacing an autocannon-focused Jagermech that was never really that good, but now my back line is really putting a hurt on things.

I also recently got a Grasshopper and turned it into a max armor ML + MG monster that jumped behind three untouched heavies last mission and cored each one in one volley to the center back. :worship:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pangstrom posted:

Yeah. I think with the Stalker I did 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM15 and medium lasers and no jumpjets. It ran a little hot. I never liked under-armoring things but maybe others could get away with it.

I did 2 LRM20s and 2 LRM15s and then the rest was ammo and armor. Works great.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I never imagined how much fun the disco Grasshopper would be. Now I don't know how I lived without this in my life.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I never imagined how much fun the disco Grasshopper would be. Now I don't know how I lived without this in my life.
It's pretty disgusting how good it is whether you're coring from the rear or just cleaning up knockdowns. A hopper with 1200+ armor, evasion, a hit def gyro, and liberal use of vigilance and jump jets is among the best tanking mechs in the game at the moment. And it can sustain repeated vigilance uses because every turn it's in range, something is gonna die and give that 20 morale right back.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Stop putting m'lasers on LRM boats. If you're ever in a situation where you use them you're doing it wrong. Add more ammo/heatsinks/armor instead.

Also, I don't hear people talk about it much, but I prefer a highlander-733 for my campaign endgame assault LRM boating. It's got 3 more tons of space to work with over a stalker and can drop some armor safely on the right side since the missile slots are loaded on the left. I get that it's a waste of a good, more versatile mech with brawler capabilities when you are first getting assaults, but once you've got an Atlas II and a few King Crabs, it's not like it's going to get any other use.

EDIT
Mine is currently kitted with:
2x LRM 15++ listed as +2stab dmg but for whatever reason they actually do 5stab dmg/missile
1x LRM 15+++ +2stab dmg/+50% crit (if the above ones are an error that gets fixed I've got more of these)
1x LRM 20++ +2dmg - especially nice for ripping up vehicles with 120dmg volleys or for making GBS threads on braced scout mechs with breaching shot
TTS++ for +3 missile accuracy - not absolutely necessary but it helps ensure that a mech with some evasion pips up still gets a maxed stab dmg bar and loses them all from only 2 banks of missiles (it's also nice for training a newer pilot up - as long as they have multishot they're good to go)
5 tons of ammo, 8 heatsinks, 920 armor, and 1 JJ for getting unstuck
I don't think your argument is crazy. That said, I prefer MLs to TTS and (to some extent) heatsinks. There is a pretty significant range overlap with MLs and anything, and you really can't control staying at long range at all times. They're the best ton-for-ton weapon. I prefer being able to totally blap something (esp. with a called shot) and run my heat up when the situation calls for it. I go a little short on ammo (usu. giving myself ~10 rounds worth) because what happens in the early rounds means the most, and if you're out of ammo then you've got ~100 damage to dish out at least.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does Bulwark work when you don't move and punch something? When you start your turn next to a guy, can you move to a different facing before punching him? Can you punch a dude after JJing next to him? Can you punch a guy and then get out of Dodge with Ace Pilot?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

I don't think your argument is crazy. That said, I prefer MLs to TTS and (to some extent) heatsinks. There is a pretty significant range overlap with MLs and anything, and you really can't control staying at long range at all times. They're the best ton-for-ton weapon. I prefer being able to totally blap something (esp. with a called shot) and run my heat up when the situation calls for it. I go a little short on ammo (usu. giving myself ~10 rounds worth) because what happens in the early rounds means the most, and if you're out of ammo then you've got ~100 damage to dish out at least.
I agree that some hedging from a pure glass cannon LRM boat is useful for when poo poo hits the fan. As long as you've got enough heatsinks (7-10) to keep up the sustained 3-4 racks of missiles every turn needed to abuse the stability meta, whatever other stuff floats your boat is cool. I will say that if you're consistently having problems keeping your back line mechs safe, there's some easy changes you can make to avoid this on all but a few story missions - mostly just sticking to map edges before engaging, keeping your LRM boat between the edge and your brawlers once you do engage, and resisting being sucked away from map edges until you've figured out where any reinforcements are coming from.

And just to quibble for the sake of discussion, I'd claim SRM6s are the best overall weapon in this particular game when dmg, stab dmg, weight, space, and especially heat are all considered, though m'lasers are definitely the king of dmg/weight, easy to fit, and great for called shot coring builds.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

SuperKlaus posted:

Does Bulwark work when you don't move and punch something? When you start your turn next to a guy, can you move to a different facing before punching him? Can you punch a dude after JJing next to him? Can you punch a guy and then get out of Dodge with Ace Pilot?

YesNo because the melee windup counts as moving, no (but the AI can), no, no.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 19, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I put a couple medium lasers on my lrm boats now after the big brawl with Espinosa and the dropship you warcrime where it ran out of missiles and flailed sadly.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The answer tor running out of ammo is melee.

Alternatively, those lasers you're putting in could be 2 additional tons of ammo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conspiratiorist posted:

The answer tor running out of ammo is melee.

Alternatively, those lasers you're putting in could be 2 additional tons of ammo.

Melee didn't work when it took four turns to get to punchrange. Meanwhile the rest of my mechs were out of ammo and hers were out of arms so we sort of just smushed against each other for a bit. :v:

But yeah I guess I could just do that. It hasn't really happened again either way, I just prefer a backup.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I gave my main character Ace Pilot before I knew it was kinda bad and the only place I've found a good use for it endgame is with her disco Grasshopper. Since I'm mostly up against assaults now I can reserve and move the GS last, jumping behind someone and alpha striking the back. If I'm lucky they outright explode right there, but if I'm not I can shoot them in the back again and jump away, laughing all the while.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's the use for Ace Pilot, yeah. That, and on Firestarters before then.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I put Ace Pilot on my PC because she is an ace pilot. The moving thing is kinda cool too but I think I've used it like twice

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
AP sounds really cool but it's actually total rear end outside of LoS shenanigans with lights, I can understand the problem since it's hard to come up with a good movement-related skill which isn't so good that it's getting into "actually too good" territory.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 19, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Dekker died in my first mission with him. He got nailed by missile artillery. Is it worth replaying or are pilots easy to come by?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Dekker died in my first mission with him. He got nailed by missile artillery. Is it worth replaying or are pilots easy to come by?

The second. If he'd built up any skills it might be worth it but fresh meat is cheap

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The sales pitch for Ace Pilot in heavier mechs is "What, you're going to take loving Juggernaut instead?" on pilots you want both Bulwark and Evasive on.

Funny enough if they ever pull the trigger on the constantly threatened "We're totally switching Bulwark with Juggy, just you watch!" it would discourage me from taking Ace Pilot more than anything, and I'm a weirdo who has more ace pilots (3) than master tacticians (1).

I use ace pilot+bulwark to give my brawlers more options during their turn. No early bulwark, less incentive to brawl rather than kite spam when outnumbered. Less incentive to brawl in Mediums vs heavies, or heavies vs assaults? May as well grab master tactics so my assaults go early.

I still like the earlier evasive maneuvers though. It's helped save my rear end so much to get that extra pip when JJing around the battlefield.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 19, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Synthbuttrange posted:

The second. If he'd built up any skills it might be worth it but fresh meat is cheap

Cool.

Also, is there some kind of in-game warbook? I have only a passing knowledge of mechs and it'd be neat to know which ones are big threats + whatever fluff etc. It seems like the game would have something like that somewhere.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Generally the heavier the mech, the more dangerous. Also there's vehicles which are mostly a joke except the ones that carry SRM/LRM or AC/20s which must be destroyed at all costs or run far far away.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Milky Moor posted:

Cool.

Also, is there some kind of in-game warbook? I have only a passing knowledge of mechs and it'd be neat to know which ones are big threats + whatever fluff etc. It seems like the game would have something like that somewhere.
Besides watching out for pure tonnage/size, the best thing to do is to look at each enemy mech/vehicle's armaments before selecting a target. You can see this when preparing to fire (a box appears at the top of the screen), but you can also right-click on any enemy within visual range to inspect its armour/structure status and loadout. Targets that do a lot of stability damage (i.e. the ones packing PPCs, ACs, or a lot of missiles) should be your priority, especially later in the game when the risk of getting knocked over becomes much larger. ACs and PPCs can also very quickly knock big holes in your mech - or your cockpit. A large array of lasers may look scary, but the AI doesn't ever use Called Shots on you unless you're on your back I think, so usually the damage is distributed across your mech rather than focused on a single part.

An exception to the above is the Firestarter, though. They're real sneaky little fuckers that look pretty harmless with their low-damage, point-blank-range weaponry - until they get within spitting distance and then let loose with their flamers. If your mech's already running hot and/or suffering from poor heat management, a single Firestarter attack might even cause an immediate shutdown. Their MGs can also wreck your systems very quickly if hit any exposed part. Exterminate them immediately.

Oh, don't forget that it's possible to disarm enemy mechs by shooting off their limbs and left/right torsos. Demolishing a torso also takes off the accompanying arm. When the box at the top of the screen appears, showing the enemy mech's status, move the cursor over each part to see not just how damaged it is, but which equipment it's carrying. In most cases, you'll want to destroy any part containing ammo first - not just to effectively disable the weapon it's supplying, but to cause an explosion that will hurt the mech's pilot. Hurt the pilot often enough and he dies.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Promethium posted:

Actually you totally do get Bulwark after melee if you didn't move to melee.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Re medium lasers on lrm boats: it kind of makes sense early game when your pilots still suck. If you want to keep the med lasers on your catapult I’m not going to laugh at you, and it’s probably a good idea when your “artillery” is a centurion with a couple lrm15s.

That said by the time you start getting assaults your lrm pilots should have pretty high tactics which means minimum range quickly stops mattering. You’re never going to point blank brawl with them but you can comfortably get 70% and higher hit chances only a couple hexes away.

In related news they REALLY need to rethink how much tactics makes min range stop mattering. The called shot bonus and indirect fire bonus are already really good. If it were me I’d just remove the shortening of min range entirely.

It’s easily the best stat in the game right now. You can give low guys pilots padding with cockpit reinforcement and piloting is nice but distinctly third tier. You flat out NEED to get gunnery up a bit so you can hit poo poo, but past maybe 75% of the way through the tree you’re fine. Tactics, though, benefits so much from being maxed it isn’t even funny.

I always grab gunnery first up until I can hit well enough then max tactics then deal with the rest, adjusting as necessary to grab any second tier skills I need to before climbing trees just for stats

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

if it were me I’d just remove the shortening of min range entirely.

Leave the poor AC5 alone in your rush to blanket nerf everything over LRM boats.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Grf-1n, instantly sell?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Grf-1n, instantly sell?

Why? 3 missile slots, 3 energy slots, and a support (small laser) slot, all on the same arm/side torso, giving you a whole redundant side.

It's one of the best mediums, a step behind the Kintaro and neck to neck with the Centurion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I personally don't like everything being on one side and the s is better with srms imo.

Maybe I should put it on a defender dude and abuse the side then

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I personally don't like everything being on one side and the s is better with srms imo.

Maybe I should put it on a defender dude and abuse the side then

How can the variant with 2 hardpoints be better at missiles than the one with 3???

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
What would happen if evasion was more like shields in Halo, where it's a renewable defensive layer? My thought is that any hit against a mech removes an evasion pip but does no damage, and misses don't remove evasion at all?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Conspiratiorist posted:

Why? 3 missile slots, 3 energy slots, and a support (small laser) slot, all on the same arm/side torso, giving you a whole redundant side.

It's one of the best mediums, a step behind the Kintaro and neck to neck with the Centurion.

Why do you tie it with the Cent? I agree the Griffin is nice, but I eventually replaced it with the 2nd Centurion I got since the Cent has similar hardpoints but 3.5 more tons to work with.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Promethium posted:

Geeeeez it's like they go out of their way to make my rock 'em sock 'em plans difficult.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Why do you tie it with the Cent? I agree the Griffin is nice, but I eventually replaced it with the 2nd Centurion I got since the Cent has similar hardpoints but 3.5 more tons to work with.

It's weird how most of the 50 ton mechs get more usable tonnage than any of the 55s. Hawks and Kintaros are great if you want to mount more armor, but otherwise a Cent or a Hunch is more bang for your buck.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Geeeeez it's like they go out of their way to make my rock 'em sock 'em plans difficult.

You get bulwark if you stand still and melee. Or at least I do.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Actually you totally do get Bulwark after melee if you didn't move to melee.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

You get bulwark if you stand still and melee. Or at least I do.

Oh. Thanks guys, that's cool to know. I'm going to throw another pilot into the meatgrinder and try Reserve -> Move to Punch -> Go First Punch w/ Bulwark on this Firestarter that's claimed three lives and a million bucks of full-body repair work. I'll MAKE it work.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Making you unable to do called shots with missiles would solve alot of the problems with both the tactics line and missiles in general.

They already have much better damage per ton/heat than everything else. The whole tradeoff is supposed to be that they scatter damage.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It's weird how most of the 50 ton mechs get more usable tonnage than any of the 55s. Hawks and Kintaros are great if you want to mount more armor, but otherwise a Cent or a Hunch is more bang for your buck.

They have smaller engines, I wish that there was at least one 55T mech with a smaller one but they're all little speedy fucks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RabidWeasel posted:

They have smaller engines, I wish that there was at least one 55T mech with a smaller one but they're all little speedy fucks.

One of the issues with 3025 balance in a nutshell. Those 'Mechs are just fine with weight-saving tech like XL Engines, but in 3025 a 5/8 Heavy 'Mech is pretty much dead weight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

eonblue174 posted:

What would happen if evasion was more like shields in Halo, where it's a renewable defensive layer? My thought is that any hit against a mech removes an evasion pip but does no damage, and misses don't remove evasion at all?

Then nobody would ever use a mech that couldn't mount missiles, because an LRM5 would strip all the pips with one shot.

I'm finally fielding a lance over 300 tons, having got the You-Know-What, a Black Knight, a Battlemaster and a Stalker. LRM70 Stalker is horrible for heat - should I strip a couple of tons of armour for sinks? Meanwhile the BK is configured for Disco Inferno and coring anything up to 55T with a called shot, usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

It's faster.