Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The plan is to use this game as a baseboard for CK3. :smug:

and vicky 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

That minimap seems to show a lot more of Scandinavia than I would’ve thought. I wonder what the plan is there

Formable Scandinavian cultural union that becomes the world superpower 8 games out of 10

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If there's a pop system I could imagine colonisation being more of a process where a lot of "colonisable" regions of the world are one-province tribes with one pop unit in them, and colonising would be the player diplomatically or militarily pressuring that one pop to move to a neighbouring province, or you starting to crowd the province with your own pops and eventually "romanising" that tribe, or whatever. Modelling population displacement leads to a lot of interesting mechanics, it could trigger bigger migrations or destabilise neighbouring polities.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

That minimap seems to show a lot more of Scandinavia than I would’ve thought. I wonder what the plan is there
Southern Scandinavia was connected to Rome through trade (being a major source of amber), and through warfare, with warriors serving as mercenaries to Rome against their Germanic brethren closer to Rome's borders. The bit included on the map is basically the part Rome knew about. It's also a freebie if you're gonna include the British Isles unless you choose a real weird projection.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

the romans viewed scandinavia as a portal to the realm of infinite germanic tribes so hopefully there will be waves of displacements outward from off-map scandinavia

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its nice that naval warfare in hoi4 is getting looked at but the communist countries are also desperately in need of an update

That would take time away from making yet another Pander To The Literal Nazis pack though

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jazerus posted:

the romans viewed scandinavia as a portal to the realm of infinite germanic tribes so hopefully there will be waves of displacements outward from off-map scandinavia
Aside from that, the Cimbrian War alone might justify the inclusion of Jutland. But yeah, having Germanic tribes moving around, setting off chain reactions and occasionally knocking together a force strong enough to threaten Rome should definitely be a thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

algebra testes posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: Veni, Vidi, Vicky.

gently caress this is good, it's gotta be this

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

That would take time away from making yet another Pander To The Literal Nazis pack though

How is making alternate history focus trees for the Americas pandering to the nazis?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Well let me educate you on a little something called "Horseshoe Theory" my friend

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Randarkman posted:

How is making alternate history focus trees for the Americas pandering to the nazis?

I think you answered your own question there.

Can-.. can I throw that stone? In this glass house? Seems awful expensive.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I for one hope that Paradox continues to use HoI4 as a honey pot to keep the facists and ethno-staters and Wehraboos out of the grand strategy games that I actually want to play.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jamsque posted:

I for one hope that Paradox continues to use HoI4 as a honey pot to keep the facists and ethno-staters and Wehraboos out of the grand strategy games that I actually want to play.

This is actually a great point. Let them play the bad game and we can all enjoy Rome 2: This Time With India.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jamsque posted:

Germanic tribes and Scandinavia is going to be in the new game though?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Beamed posted:

This is actually a great point. Let them play the bad game and we can all enjoy Rome 2: This Time With India.

*looks at bundle of sticks with an axe in, sighs* I think that might be wishful thinking.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Southern Scandinavia was connected to Rome through trade (being a major source of amber), and through warfare, with warriors serving as mercenaries to Rome against their Germanic brethren closer to Rome's borders. The bit included on the map is basically the part Rome knew about. It's also a freebie if you're gonna include the British Isles unless you choose a real weird projection.

Oh yeah for sure, I'm just interested because you've got tons of very tiny tribes there that would be fun, Svear, Geats, Danes, Jutes

Crazycryodude posted:

This is such a leap of logic.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So the games timeline is probably going to end with the historical death of Augustus like the TW games isn’t it? I hope it at least goes as far as the death of Nero and the fall of the Julio-Claudians because that would be different at least. Obviously DLC can flesh out all of the cool periods after that starting with the Year of the 4 Emperors.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Mods please do the needful! (I asked via report already)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Beamed posted:

i'm sure that rome 2 won't have much genocide. johan "carthago delenda est" andersson wouldn't stand for it

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Maybe I'm just sad that we're not getting Vicky 3 yet, but I'm really not a fan of the new Rome interface. It looks like they were trying to go for a classic but updated look, but it just comes across as old and dated to me. Same with the actual zoomed out map.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

May 19th, 2018 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new game tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. HOI4 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Imperator Rome was announced. This was not just an announcement of a new game, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was a release intended to completely disregard fans desires for Vicky 3, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zeron posted:

Maybe I'm just sad that we're not getting Vicky 3 yet, but I'm really not a fan of the new Rome interface. It looks like they were trying to go for a classic but updated look, but it just comes across as old and dated to me. Same with the actual zoomed out map.

I am kinda with you, since when people first posted screenshots, I wasn't sure whether they were posting the new game or original EU: Rome...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Zeron posted:

i don't know about "old and dated" but i do think it's plain ugly. seems bulkier than it needs to be too

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

...They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human...

:golfclap:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

May 19th, 2018 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new game tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. HOI4 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Imperator Rome was announced. This was not just an announcement of a new game, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was a release intended to completely disregard fans desires for Vicky 3, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

It is still hilarious :stare:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

TheFlyingLlama posted:

:golfclap: excellent shitpost sir, 5 out of 7 well done :golfclap:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zeron posted:

Maybe I'm just sad that we're not getting Vicky 3 yet
Like someone mentioned, the trolling about Vicky 3 confirms it for a 2020 release at least.

Zeron posted:

but I'm really not a fan of the new Rome interface. It looks like they were trying to go for a classic but updated look, but it just comes across as old and dated to me. Same with the actual zoomed out map.
Agreed. They need to get with the program and realize Rome was garish as gently caress and spruce up the interface. Don't really have a problem with the zoomed out map though.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

And they are from different cultures, too! The queen really fell asleep at the wheel with this one, imo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

And they are from different cultures, too! The queen really fell asleep at the wheel with this one, imo.
Meghan Markle is a strong, attractive genius.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think it looks good but I kinda see what you guys mean. The big thing I'm not a fan of is Carthage being green, what the gently caress.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I really feel you, drawing rivers basically kills any momentum for me, though having to set up all the data for provinces/history afterward is not great either. A scenario editor that allowed you to just "paint" provinces with culture/religion/trade goods/cores/owners and so on, for any given date, is basically my dream. Actually, just put everything to do with that sort of stuff in the editor. Let me click on provinces to name them how I want them to appear in-game, let me create custom nations, ideas, and so on too, and then just have the editor create the files in a proper format.

I've been doing most of the history/province data stuff like that in a spreadsheet, which saves a bunch of time but is definitely still cumbersome as hell. I do wonder what the actual devs do, yeah.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 19, 2018

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

At Pdxcon, spent 2.5 hours playing the CK2 boardgame today - it's actually quite nice-victory involves conquering as much of Europe as is possible, but there is a dynasty system which actually works really well at encourage you to murder your children to get your favoured heir. I had three daughters, the two older ones being poo poo with negative traits and a youngest one who was clever. Married one off to England for peace (gets hee out of games succession) and murdered the other one sith the same card thst made my king due of leprosy. And those stories are what CK2 are about (I also conquered Italy but meh)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RabidWeasel posted:

It is still hilarious :stare:

It's really tragic that it's slightly too long for a thread title.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Koramei posted:

I think it looks good but I kinda see what you guys mean. The big thing I'm not a fan of is Carthage being green, what the gently caress.

Honestly I'm tired of off-white carthage, scarlet rome, green gauls. Praise be to new colors

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I for one can't wait to play the mauryans and build a stupa on the palatine hill.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Meghan Markle is a strong, attractive genius.

Yeah but any child will be at least 6th in line there's no point having a child that distant be actually good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Honestly I'm tired of off-white carthage, scarlet rome, green gauls. Praise be to new colors

Classics are classics for a reason. Why change something that works and everyone knows? Green Carthage :barf:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fuligin posted:

I get real mad when France isn’t blue, Rome isn’t red, China isn’t yellow, etc.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm 100% onboard for Rome if it means I never have to launch Alea Jacta Est again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I hope that the Greco-Bactrian kingdom is on map as a vassal or something at the start date, even if it wouldn't quite be historically accurate, 'cause that's one weird rear end bit of history that I would love to play through.