Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

dovetaile posted:

Reasonable. Of course you need the wayback machine to read either site nowadays.

Too bad. Every so often I like to re-read the Snapewives saga or the one with the Supernatural fan who faked her death. There was some great what the christ poo poo on 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Randaconda posted:

I'm the only person who like that series. :smith:

I like it but jesus christ the 6th and 7th book could use some work.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ending of DT is great, g'luck

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Here's something unnerving: based on Dark Tower, it's entirely possible that GRRM dying before completing A Song of Ice and Fire could be the best thing for the series
They'll just get Kevin J. Anderson to finish it.
This is the unnerving story thread after all.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

I really liked the ending of it. It made so much sense once I thought about

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...lFlowFB_PHBrand

DiNardo plead guilty today, received 4 consecutive life sentences. Kratz rejected his plea deal, he'll go to trial early next year.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Here's something unnerving: based on Dark Tower, it's entirely possible that GRRM dying before completing A Song of Ice and Fire could be the best thing for the series

Wheel of Time further supports this theory.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

Wheel of Time further supports this theory.

I also like that series.

It's me, I'm the guy who likes bad fantasy series.

:negative:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

JustinMorgan posted:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...lFlowFB_PHBrand

DiNardo plead guilty today, received 4 consecutive life sentences. Kratz rejected his plea deal, he'll go to trial early next year.

Weird little detail. Kratz was shot 19 times 4 months before the murders. How do you get shot 19 times and live? Just weird.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Untrustable posted:

Weird little detail. Kratz was shot 19 times 4 months before the murders. How do you get shot 19 times and live? Just weird.

People can survive a lot of things.
https://morbidology.com/left-for-dead-mary-vincent/

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've just been invited to an all singing, all dancing musical about Carl Tanzler.

quote:

" This true story stirred and divided the Key West community with intrigue, disgust, sympathy and romanticism over the scientist who became hopelessly inseparable from the woman of his dreams.

uh... sounds... fun?

https://www.keywestmusical.com/

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Truth. Reminded me of John Thompson: The Boy in The Bathtub. Except he did it to himself on accident.
http://people.com/archive/too-tough-to-die-vol-37-no-4/

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here

Untrustable posted:

50 Cent was shot 9 times and spent 13 days in the hospital.

Human bodies are weird as hell because sometimes you'll bounce back from trauma like that or sometimes people die because they fell 3 feet. It's wild.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

EmmyOk posted:

Technically it's the beginning :smugbert:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Judas Horse posted:

Human bodies are weird as hell because sometimes you'll bounce back from trauma like that or sometimes people die because they fell 3 feet. It's wild.

Also, firearms are lethal as hell, but not generally as lethal as an ancient bronze sword thrust into your guts (at least compared to 9mm). The wound channels ancient weapons cloud open were nuts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Also, firearms are lethal as hell, but not generally as lethal as an ancient bronze sword thrust into your guts (at least compared to 9mm). The wound channels ancient weapons cloud open were nuts.

Modern medicine has a lot more to do with it than the wound channels. Things that used to be fatal in the old world are now minor inconveniences because there's so much less chance for infection to set in. With prompt medical attention from an ambulance and hospital, you can survive insanely heinous wounds.

This is actually one of the reasons mass shootings tend to be so lethal even when committed with relatively underpowered weapons, like Virginia Tech used a 9mm handgun and a .22 handgun. You can survive multiple gunshot wounds pretty easily as long as they haven't destroyed your heart or central nervous system and you get medical attention within about 10 minutes, but the danger inherent in the situation prevents medical attention from arriving for anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours. Wounds that would be survivable if given immediate treatment end up being fatal.

One very controversial death in Columbine was a teacher who bled to death during the evacuation, long after the shooters had committed suicide. The police were unsure if the shooters were still alive and hiding in the building and weren't even confident that there were only two of them, so they spent something like 3 or 4 hours painstakingly making their way from one end of the school to the other, kicking in every single door and closet. They found the teacher and several students trying to administer first aid, but forced the students to leave him behind to bleed to death because they prioritized emptying the classroom of student and making them all hide their eyes so nobody would see the bodies outside. It's believed that he could have survived had the SWAT team evacuated him for medical attention, but they wouldn't even let one of the students carry him out and he just ended up alone and dying in an empty classroom.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I mean, that seems like a pretty basic triage decision. If you can't get out under your own power and there are able bodied people that (they believed at the time) are in immediate danger, you get the healthy people out ASAP. Otherwise you could end up trying to save one person who might not make it anyway, and losing more lives in the process. It loving sucks and I don't envy the people who have to make those kind of decisions about human lives.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dixville posted:

I mean, that seems like a pretty basic triage decision. If you can't get out under your own power and there are able bodied people that (they believed at the time) are in immediate danger, you get the healthy people out ASAP. Otherwise you could end up trying to save one person who might not make it anyway, and losing more lives in the process. It loving sucks and I don't envy the people who have to make those kind of decisions about human lives.

The problem is that the people in the room had all volunteered to carry him out to medical attention, but the officers pulled them away and failed to provide even basic medical attention on the scene. They made a lot of really bad decisions during the event, including on evacuation. The only seriously wounded person inside to make it out to medical attention was someone who ignored the police shouting at him to stay inside and crawled out a window, which he doesn't even remember doing.

The police also took so long to finish up because they relied on outdated personal knowledge instead of getting a current school map, so they entered from the opposite side of the building they were supposed to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that isn't the SWAT team's fault. They're working on the information they have in the moment and a dude that's bleeding out isn't a priority when there's a room full of kids to get out and you don't know how many or where the gunmen are.

It sucks, but so did the whole situation. Maybe they should embed field medics into SWAT teams. We're already equipping them like untrained Ranger units, may as well go whole hog.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dixville posted:

It's tough, there's obviously no easy answers in these situations. But Columbine did cause many departments to re-think their policies in these shootings. No more slowly creeping from room to room meticulously clearing everything before evacuation, if law enforcement people feel they've ended the threat they get people out of there right away.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Judas Horse posted:

Not just human!

I watched a chihuahua apparently get run over by a car yesterday. I heard several distinct thumps and then the dog bounced on his back on the road with all four legs splayed out. Then he jumped up and ran off the road to his owner. He was limping a bit but no blood. :shrug:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

glad she is dead posted:

I've just been invited to an all singing, all dancing musical about Carl Tanzler.

uh... sounds... fun?

I would definitely go see it. One of my favorite HBO autopsy stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOk33CFjjKM

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

glad she is dead posted:

uh... sounds... fun?

on a similar note, I saw a musical about the life of Phineas Gage and it was loving garbage

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, that isn't the SWAT team's fault.

What was the SWAT team's fault is that they were running the hostage negotiation playbook while there was a massacre going on. SWAT didn't even enter the school for over an hour after they showed up.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pookel posted:

Not just human!

I watched a chihuahua apparently get run over by a car yesterday. I heard several distinct thumps and then the dog bounced on his back on the road with all four legs splayed out. Then he jumped up and ran off the road to his owner. He was limping a bit but no blood. :shrug:

This dog later died of internal bleeding. :sadwave:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Untrustable posted:

19 times and pretty much recovered in four months sounds a lot like a 22 caliber. 22 is weird where plenty of people have been killed with one shot that hit the right spot, but if they hit you in non-vital areas you can soak up a lot of them.

I read about one case where a guy dumped a full 17-round 22 semi-auto into a guy who was rushing him. The shot guy managed to reach him, grab the rifle out of his hands and beat him senseless with it, then walk a half-mile to a payphone to call 911. With small calibers there's a lot of random chance.

At the opposite end, there was a case in the 1970s where a cop shot a bank robber square in the chest with a shotgun slug (so instead of a spray of pellets, just a huge one-ounce marble of lead) which is by actual modern stats like a 95% chance of being a "one-shot stop". Dude took off running, outran the cops, dashed down into the subway, rode across town, and walked into an emergency room for treatment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I read about one case in a self-defense book where a guy running from the cops was shot from behind while climbing a fence. The .45 ACP bullet went into his rear end, traveled into his chest cavity, and stopped an inch from his heart. He finished his climb and kept running for quite a while before suddenly keeling over dead in a field.

Ballistics is a weird science where nothing works out like you expect it to.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Crossposting this here because it's an interesting/horrifying developing story. Some of the specific details sound way too out there, but it's not like more absurd and cartoonish acts of violence haven't actually happened and then people who escaped and went to the police weren't believed until all the bodies were found, or whatever. Plus, I'm not going to expect a traumatized 13 year old to have absolutely perfect recall.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
They've finally identified Lyle Stevik.

The thread talked about him before - a man found dead in a hotel room under a probable false name, no one knew who he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_Stevik

His family assumed he was alive but didn't want to contact them. At least they know now. They don't want his name released.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Has anybody linked the BBC podcast - documentary Death in Ice Valley? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p060ms2h

It's a BBC - Norwegian coproduction investigating the unsolved death of the so called Isdal Woman, a mysterious foreign person who had traveled Norway under a number of assumed identities before being found dead, charred and drugged, at a remote country site. She was possibly a spy, and there is some evidence that the Norwegian secret service had been involved in burying elements of the case.

The podcast itself is very good, as one would expect from BBC, with original interviews and on site investigation,, and it is still ongoing.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm curious to see where they go with it, as I like it so far. I'd only done cursory reading on it before, and they're doing a good job of going deep in depth on it.

My only gripe is that they keep doing this coy "why was she here, was she a spy, a criminal, etc." when they are clearly making the case that she was a spy. Like, I get that they're trying to do the whole "no preconceptions" thing, but it comes off really disingenuous.

If they wanted to do it right, they should actually present some evidence at some point that she wasn't a spy. It's the conclusion that pretty much everyone comes to who looks into it.

That said, it's a minor gripe, I like what they're doing overall and it is definitely worth a listen if you have even a passing interest in the case.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Frisco hospice exec admits overdosing patients 'to hasten their deaths' and make more money

So this is like, murder, right? This dude is a murderer. Also holy poo poo America.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And this country... is seeking to be whole. Stretching out its arms... and consuming all it can. And we merely follow.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Azathoth posted:

I'm curious to see where they go with it, as I like it so far. I'd only done cursory reading on it before, and they're doing a good job of going deep in depth on it.

My only gripe is that they keep doing this coy "why was she here, was she a spy, a criminal, etc." when they are clearly making the case that she was a spy. Like, I get that they're trying to do the whole "no preconceptions" thing, but it comes off really disingenuous.

If they wanted to do it right, they should actually present some evidence at some point that she wasn't a spy. It's the conclusion that pretty much everyone comes to who looks into it.

That said, it's a minor gripe, I like what they're doing overall and it is definitely worth a listen if you have even a passing interest in the case.

tbh i kind of expect they have no new evidence whatsoever, and they are just trying to dilute their one lead to sound more intriguing, but the programme is interesting nonetheless

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Frisco hospice exec admits overdosing patients 'to hasten their deaths' and make more money

So this is like, murder, right? This dude is a murderer. Also holy poo poo America.

It's Kevorkian, but Republicans have moved so far to the right that Kevorkian is now their ideal health care provider, and their base is fine with that. What's the suicide smiley again?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

steinrokkan posted:

It's Kevorkian, but Republicans have moved so far to the right that Kevorkian is now their ideal health care provider, and their base is fine with that. What's the suicide smiley again?

https://youtu.be/UlqLNfgyzT0

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Project management, previous job:
Okay, let's establish a timeline with some slip, outline scope, plot steps, figure out supplies and cost, throw a few examples together, schedule staff and volunteers, identify potential problems

Project management, current job:
LETS JUST DO SOME poo poo AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS :downs:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

tbh i kind of expect they have no new evidence whatsoever, and they are just trying to dilute their one lead to sound more intriguing, but the programme is interesting nonetheless

It'll be interesting if they do the same test they did on Somerton Man that indicated he grew up on the eastern seaboard. Not that it'll necessarily prove anything, but it might come back with something unexpected, same with her haplogroup.

I like that they're doing as much local digging as possible, such as talking to the guy who sold her boots, as well, since anyone who was around then is getting up there in age. If, by the end, they do nothing more than be the definitive investigation into her death, it'll still be worth listening.

I don't seriously expect them to come to a conclusion other than that she was a spy, got found out, and was killed by other spies, which the government covered up because that's how spy poo poo goes down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

No. Kevorkian killed people who wanted to die. This is murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Pee Wee Gaskins, "the Meanest Man in America", is an interesting case. His family background has all kind of messed up stuff, the usual massive parental alcoholism, and the weirdly common "sexworker mom made him watch" aspect. It's pretty standard-horrible serial killer upbringing, but I'll note that he literally didn't know that his actual first name was Donald until it was read out to him in court.

He got raped in juvie, he got raped in adult prison, and then he decided that small stature be damned, he was going to put an end to this. So full-on Hollywood style, while in prison he walked up to the single toughest guy on the floor, stabbed him in the neck, and from then on nobody hosed with him not matter which prison he was sent to.

When he eventually got out, he raised a family in South Carolina and ran a chop-shop, cutting up stolen cars to sell for parts. Much like prison, he maintained his dangerous-rear end in a top hat persona to keep anyone from loving with him. During this time he divided his murders into two categories: "coastal kills" which were purely recreational like picking up hitchhikers and raping and murdering them, and "serious murders" which were motivated by money and practicality. An example of the later is a woman from the town, knowing his shady past, hired him to kill her husband, which he did but then ended up murdering four more people as part of the cover-up.

Eventually Gaskins was dimed out by one of his accessories, and lead authorities to a burying ground in the woods where they found eight bodies. He claimed to have killed over 100 people, but the state kept it simple and just tried him for eight. But even while serving a life sentence (his death sentence was commuted in the 70s by the Supreme Court's moratorium), he had more murder left in him.

While living in a high-security cell in South Carolina, Gaskins was housed next to a death-row murderee (the death penalty having become legal again) named Rudolph Tyner, who had killed an elderly couple. The couple's son was apparently a pretty motivated-by-revenge guy, since he managed to find Gaskins through prison rumor, visit him, and slip him supplies to murder Tyner.

Gaskins full-on MacGyvered his smuggled supplies, and ended up rigging a supposed communications cable between his cell and Tyner's which was supposed to allow them to communicate. However, in Tyner's earpiece he rigged a chunk of C4 plastic explosive, so on their very first call, when Tyner put the cup up to his ear to listen, Gaskins detonated the explosives and killed him.

For his ninth murder, Gaskins was back on death row, and executed in the electric chair in 1991.