Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Let's talk uratha and healing agg damage. The pack's totem has Influence health 2. I was thinking about allowing them to spend essence to heal two points at a time as long as they stayed in the garden locus for at least 12 hours a day. They'd have to spend an essence for every level of agg damage they possess everyday. Rank 2 locus makes that easy.

Too hard, too easy? Thoughts?

I think having Aggravated take a while to heal has its purposes, but there's also reasons for wanting to speed it up. Spending time in a healing garden locus to speed up things makes sense but 12 hours in and 12 hours out you start getting weird time scheduling involved. Like, are the players playing their characters hour by hour, is there any thing that actually effects the characters when they spend 12 hours a day there, like it's a public place in the middle of a city or they have families and jobs to juggle? Because if not you might just expand it to an entire day (or moon to moon) and skip ahead until they're healed (if nothing IS pressing, why not just wait however many days to heal?).

Other than the time crunch (I tend to get into the micro in the game, 'you do this, you do this, you do that, then what do you do? I'm trying to get better) the totem or whoever owns the locus would probably want some sort of payment in exchange, like an immediate gratification of their normal aspiration or something bigger. You might tie it into that, in fact, rather than spending 12 hours there, fit it in with the totem's aspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tonight we have the minimalist version of the Tzimisce lineage. Each bar is a generation removed, ignoring Diablerie and focusing on lineal descent. No presumed sires added, no unnameds except where vital bridging figures, only those with generations confirmed present.
Too big to timg.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So to be the last to the party (which I suppose is probably held the SafeHouse in Milwaukee), I'm finding Demon: The Descent is super good.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
What loving monster created so many Toreador? Doing these charts by hand is slightly nightmarish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loomer posted:

What loving monster created so many Toreador? Doing these charts by hand is slightly nightmarish.

The 90s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Arikel the Bull Dancer, obviously.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There are 14 no-diablerie-known 4th gen Toreador. So yeah - fuckin' Arikel. Only 4 have lines of note (over 3 members) that start there though (Amphion, Minos (who spawned Helena who diablerized him), Michael the Patriarch and Sir Matthew Ludlow). Helena's line is insanely populous. 24 descendants and I haven't finished it yet, and though unconfirmed I suspect Victoria Ash's line starts with her as well (that or her sire, Maximillian, was the spawn of Salianna. I don't recall if this was addressed in the Victorian Age Trilogy or not). I have to redraft the chart because it doesn't have enough space, which is horrible to do.

EDIT:
https://i.imgur.com/WCTOqTD.jpg Too big to embed. Baseline Toreador genealogy chart is done. Amphion's line has emerged as the longest, but the biggest is Helena's. I mean, goddamn.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 19, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That does sound like a hassle. I'll be curious to see how many lines you can both trace all the way back to the founder and are still reproducing in the modern nights (well, modern for the 1990's in most cases).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
More than you'd think. For the Toreador, the Callistan, Minosian, Amphionic, and Melpomenean lines were all still active into the modern nights with 100% certainty. For the Tzimisce, the Draconic line and depending on how you count, the Yorakian (the Cathedral still exists, and some reckonings have Kosc. as childe of Yorak, not Shaagra - early Tzimisce lines are surprisingly tough nuts) and Ruthvenic lines are still active. Looking at that one, I shouldn't have done it drunk - I forgot ol' Drac's line.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Loomer posted:

More than you'd think. For the Toreador, the Callistan, Minosian, Amphionic, and Melpomenean lines were all still active into the modern nights with 100% certainty. For the Tzimisce, the Draconic line and depending on how you count, the Yorakian (the Cathedral still exists, and some reckonings have Kosc. as childe of Yorak, not Shaagra - early Tzimisce lines are surprisingly tough nuts) and Ruthvenic lines are still active. Looking at that one, I shouldn't have done it drunk - I forgot ol' Drac's line.

The fact that you do any of this while not drunk is a little terrifying.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Loomer posted:

I've been mostly lurking, but I sincerely love all of the work you have put into this. One day I may harass you into talking about the history of vampires for a recorded session. I hope you'd be down, haha

Edit: Also, not to totally whore my stuff out there but I did have an interview with Karim Muammar about V5. It doesn't have any new information about it, really, but if you want to spend a little time listening to it (its about a 10 minute interview), you can check it out on the website or search for BJ Shea's Geek Nation on Apple Podcasts. It starts about 13 minutes in (this link goes right to it).

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 19, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Loomer posted:

Hey Loomer, I've got a question about Tremere bloodlines. Either Lore of Bloodlines or Rites of the Blood claims that a large number of Baali have integrated themselves into the Pyramid. Have you run into any proven examples of that?

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009
How many (if any) Salubri can be confirmed to exist?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

En Fuego posted:

I've been mostly lurking, but I sincerely love all of the work you have put into this. One day I may harass you into talking about the history of vampires for a recorded session. I hope you'd be down, haha

Edit: Also, not to totally whore my stuff out there but I did have an interview with Karim Muammar about V5. It doesn't have any new information about it, really, but if you want to spend a little time listening to it (its about a 10 minute interview), you can check it out on the website or search for BJ Shea's Geek Nation on Apple Podcasts. It starts about 13 minutes in (this link goes right to it).

Yeah, I'd be down for it sometime in the future, but it'd be a boring interview I reckon.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey Loomer, I've got a question about Tremere bloodlines. Either Lore of Bloodlines or Rites of the Blood claims that a large number of Baali have integrated themselves into the Pyramid. Have you run into any proven examples of that?

None that I'm aware of off the top of my head from 'classic' content. However, Baali are tricky and we might infer that the Infernalists among the Tremere have been co-opted, in which case there are several but none of special note. They'd still make up a very small portion of the overall population. V20 content introduces a lot of wrinkles that are completely new or taking tiny hints and turning them into full plot points, which is pretty fun but sometimes irritating, and unfortunately language like 'large number' are too indeterminate for easy use. I handled them in Wraith where I could, but Wraith was already on a completely different scale so minor differences of a thousand here or there weren't going to skew the data. As the Gargoyle overrepresentation in the charts earlier show, the same is definitely not true of VTM. Notes like that get shunted into a seperate pop/demographic note category for people to consider as they like once the data's released, since they're still notable even if they can't be put in the main dataset.

Broken Mind posted:

How many (if any) Salubri can be confirmed to exist?

In the Modern Nights, if we count the Warriors (aka 'antitribu')? Precisely 7 with identifiable names, sans VTES. If we accept the unnamed Seven, we can bump it to 14. VTES adds another 30-odd. Presumably there are rather more of the Warrior antitribu that just aren't documented as well, since they're portrayed as rare but not so rare that they're outnumbered even by the Ahrimanes.

EDIT:
While I'm here, I'll just mention the citation for Triglav's line being the proper place to put Rustovitch and thus, the entire Tremere clan. Page 67 of DA:E establishes Rustovitch as Shaagra's grandchilde. The complication we find is that Kosczecsyku is variously described as Yorak's childe and Shaagra's, with Rites of the Blood having him introduce himself as a childe of Yorak. The tension is then which wins out. For V20 the lines will have to be adjusted appropriately, though I believe the likely cause is that the writer of RotBlood's intro was unaware of the link.

The alternative, of course, is that Kosczecsyku is not actually Rustovitch's sire, but we have no evidence of this proposition. There are a couple of further alternatives. One: Shaagra is mad and confused, and Rustovitch is entirely unrelated to her. Two: Kosczecysku is lying, or was told his sire was Yorak and not Shaagra. Deceit as to sire and death is Tzimisce bread and butter. This being the case, I propose the following reconciliation: Shaagra is in fact Kosczecsyku's sire, and whether he is aware of his descent or honestly believes himself a childe of Yorak (notably, Yorak decided Shaagra would be sired but employed Triglav to do so - he seems to have an aversion to actually siring her/himself), he has decided to 'improve' his lineage as Triglav, Yorak, and Shaagra are all dead. No one is left to authoritatively counter his claim to being the spawn of Yorak, and it would also be an excellent cover for an act of diablerie during his 'death' period. Rather notably, Yorak has no known childer other than the Cathedral and the one time we know he contemplated it was for no less a personage than Dracula, and that in answer to the mystics predicting Dracula's great influence in the future.

So the reconciled line adheres to the DA:Europe account, but places Kosczecysku as a deceptive creature, which he most certainly is, and adds the possibility that he was actually told he was sired by Yorak. In a sense, this may be true in the same way that Shaagra was sired by Yorak - by his/her will, but not by his/her Blood. This issue is actually rather significant in a way most snarled lineages aren't, because whoever sired Kosczecysku is the grandsire of Roland, the Tzimisce captured and used as the source of vitae for the Tremere apprentices that became the key ingredient in the 1022 Ritual that birthed the Usurper clan. If Kosczecysku is descended from Triglav, he descends from one of the most potent Koldunic lines and so do the Tremere. If, however, he descends from Yorak, the Tremere come from the clan branch closest to Kupala - and in that case, Kupala's links to the Tremere's rise take on an even deeper level.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 20, 2018

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Double-postin' time. Classic era Tremere chart's up and running. You may notice the change in number on the side - all Tremere descend in blood from Roland the Tzimisce, who was 8th 'true gen' (that is without diablerie considered) if the Triglav line is correct (or 7th, if Yorak's is), so their true generations are accordingly shifted down. Tremere and the other make-do methuselahs of the line are underlined while those who weren't part of the ritual but are recorded at 4th generation without diablerie notes (they presumably actually are, but without documentation they go to the 4th gen/10th gen slot.) As a result, the furthest from Caine of any vampire we know of belong to the Tremere with 19 actual degrees of seperation confirmed, and possibly more.

It is also possible that the unnamed OG Tremere are in fact Cincao, Eckhart, or Lucinde, but not Wyncham. Rather curiously, though we know the likely candidates are Arundinis and Anguisa as part of the original mortal Council of 7, we have no information on whether Arundinis was the last OG, died in the interim, or perhaps wasn't chosen to participate due to loyalty concerns. Anguisa was killed by Ponticulus and so cannot be one, so even if Arundinis survived, the first Council of 7 has a mysterious vacancy.

https://i.imgur.com/qtqkktE.jpg

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Today's Oglaf seems rather germane to this thread, so here is a link.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Yawgmoth posted:

Today's Oglaf seems rather germane to this thread, so here is a link.

"Keep your anti-jinx software up to date. 90% of websites are cursed"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I was so impressed with my players outsmarting me into stopping a road race encounter before it started that I utterly failed to realize the rest of the night's plot hinged on them tracking the other racer back to their hideout. :downs:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Terrorforge posted:

"Keep your anti-jinx software up to date. 90% of websites are cursed"
SA is definitely cursed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4chan was supposed to be a website curse sink but it got out of control

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Tollymain posted:

4chan was supposed to be a website curse sink but it got out of control

"Oh no, we put all the bad things in one place and it resulted in a Very Bad Thing, who could have possible seen this coming" - a mage probably

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
paradox took lowtax's spine

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Character concept:
Youtuber who eats weird poo poo like LABeast, Shoenice or Ashens but it's just [insert supernatural splat here] who is able to buff themselves to have no ill effects.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Character concept:
Youtuber who eats weird poo poo like LABeast, Shoenice or Ashens but it's just [insert supernatural splat here] who is able to buff themselves to have no ill effects.

Doesn't one hunter group eat the other splats to buff themselves?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes and no. They specialize in hunting and eating mummies.

Former Mummy developer C. A. Suleiman got mad about this because mummies are specifically inedible, for reasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes and no. They specialize in hunting and eating mummies.

Former Mummy developer C. A. Suleiman got mad about this because mummies are specifically inedible, for reasons.

If one were very cynical, one might say "Finally! A use for that game line!"

Finally! A use for that game line!

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

What's extra hilarifying is that consuming mummies for personal gain was absolutely a thing that people used to do.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

bewilderment posted:

Character concept:

A Promethean doesn't need any specific powers to do this, which feels apt. Pity the poor L.A. Beast, who only understands and is able to reach out and bond with mankind through eating cacti and drinking expired milk.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Is it possible to spread Disquiet over the internet? Is this why I have an irrational dislike of certain 'internet celebrities'?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

In a Mage game I played in, an Acamoth got into the internet, offering people power and knowledge in return for a like, a subscription, and a dream.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crasical posted:

Is it possible to spread Disquiet over the internet? Is this why I have an irrational dislike of certain 'internet celebrities'?

That one insatiable can cause Super Mega Disquiet Hyper Fighting Edition in twitter threads and internet forums.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

cptn_dr posted:

In a Mage game I played in, an Acamoth got into the internet, offering people power and knowledge in return for a like, a subscription, and a dream.
My dreams are acamoth so gently caress yeah I hit the like/sub buttons for that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm pretty late on this one, but if you're the kind of storyteller who likes using music with your games, the Annihilation soundtrack is stellar.

This one in particular is perfect for The Shadow.

https://youtu.be/iOXyLMtx4tM

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the compiled post of nuWW gently caress ups saved? Phone posting, so I don't have it here.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone have the compiled post of nuWW gently caress ups saved? Phone posting, so I don't have it here.

The official blog was exclusively a series of apologies at one point.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Loomer posted:

While I'm here, I'll just mention the citation for Triglav's line being the proper place to put Rustovitch and thus, the entire Tremere clan. Page 67 of DA:E establishes Rustovitch as Shaagra's grandchilde. The complication we find is that Kosczecsyku is variously described as Yorak's childe and Shaagra's, with Rites of the Blood having him introduce himself as a childe of Yorak. The tension is then which wins out. [snip]

It's plausible, in a case where a vampire is stated to have two different sires, that both could be true from a certain angle. There's precedent in VtM canon for a vampire to be formally recognized as another's adoptive sire even if there's no direct connection by blood; this was the case with Anatole and Zoe in the Dark Ages Clan Novels, and IIRC the reaction to that state of affairs was nonchalant enough to imply that the idea of adopting a childe wasn't entirely unheard of.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

gtrmp posted:

It's plausible, in a case where a vampire is stated to have two different sires, that both could be true from a certain angle. There's precedent in VtM canon for a vampire to be formally recognized as another's adoptive sire even if there's no direct connection by blood; this was the case with Anatole and Zoe in the Dark Ages Clan Novels, and IIRC the reaction to that state of affairs was nonchalant enough to imply that the idea of adopting a childe wasn't entirely unheard of.

Also very true. And there's the infamous example of Beckett and Aristotle de Laurent as well.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I know spirits in Twilight can't affect physical objects unless they manifest or have powers that allow them, but are those object incorporeal to the spirit? Can they just walk through walls? What about a mage who uses spirit or death to enter twilight?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I know spirits in Twilight can't affect physical objects unless they manifest or have powers that allow them, but are those object incorporeal to the spirit? Can they just walk through walls? What about a mage who uses spirit or death to enter twilight?

Yes, yes, it works the same. They can't fly, though, unless they're a type of spirit what would logically be able to. And there may exist things in Twilight that aren't incorporeal to them - this mostly applies to ghosts, as the "afterimages" of destroyed buildings and objects sometimes linger in ghostly Twilight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel like Janet from the Good Place is a good example of an Angel/Demon.
That below video title is not, despite appearances, a spoiler for this amazing show, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etJ6RmMPGko

She's a lot like an abandoned angel for the first half of season 1, and by the end of it and much of season 2 is actively falling.