Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
hopefully it runs better than eduke32 with polymer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Kins posted:

The latest version of GZDoom has a full PBR materials system for this kind of thing, but it requires dynamic lights to be present for it to work - the traditional kind of Doom "lighting" (sector dimness values) don't contain enough information.

Someone did some experiments with setting up the original Doom textures for PBR materials, with varying success.

OH MY SWEET JESUS YES :swoon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some of those shots look really impressive.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shadow Hog posted:

Two things to say to that:

1. A lot of players don't finish games they start - an unfortunate fact, but the stats from achievement acquisition rates don't lie - so it makes some modicum of sense to frontload some of the best content right at the start, putting the best foot forward, so you get good word-of-mouth from those players even still (and so those players who do complete games they buy aren't put off from doing so by a weak start).
  2. This practice is fairly common - Nintendo, notably, was doing it as far back as the first Super Mario Bros.. They felt developing the game around it's more complicated gimmick stages first would make it easier to design earlier stages with which to ease the player into the mechanics they'd need to know to clear said gimmicks, since they'd have more playtest time with those stages to identify what needs to be taught.

On the first point - it's pretty eye-opening how so many people don't even get the typical 'first level' trophy. I remember Monster Hunter World had a trophy where you did a minor action so you could proceed through the tutorial at the begnning of the game, and two weeks after the game launched, it hovered at 90%. One in ten people didn't even spend more than ten minutes playing a game they paid $55 for.

I just had another look at it and right now 6% of players who has the game stopped before that point. This amount seems to be fairly typical for most games, both Destiny games have 94% player earn rate for their first missions too. There are some abberations with popular games, where a massive 20% of players never killed the first boss for Diablo 3.

Hard games like Bloodborne plummets off a cliff, the trophy for the first boss has only been acquired by 55% of players who owned the game at some point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The completion rate of DO4M's first mission currently sits at 74%.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

The demo pack for Marathon Infinity had Ne Cede Malis, which was the first level and was confusing and slow; Poor Yorick, which is the third level and actually a really good and fairly pretty level; and Acme Station, which is like the eighth level and was pretty but an incredibly challenging vacuum maze with very limited oxygen available and lots of challenging enemies in narrow corridors. Not the best three levels they could have picked.

I decided to start a TC playthrough of Infinity a while back cuz I never got past the.. 4th? level as a kid and I gave up at Acme Station cuz I came in from Where Monsters Are In Dreams with half red health between two cyborgs in a narrow corridor and died instantly.

I'm doing a replay of 2 rn so maybe I'll go back to it after that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DisDisDis posted:

I decided to start a TC playthrough of Infinity a while back cuz I never got past the.. 4th? level as a kid and I gave up at Acme Station cuz I came in from Where Monsters Are In Dreams with half red health between two cyborgs in a narrow corridor and died instantly.

I'm doing a replay of 2 rn so maybe I'll go back to it after that.

Imo Infinity is easier to beat on TC than 1/2 are. That is to say, not very easy but at least there’s no colossal gently caress-you at the end like Try Again or the last room in All Roads Lead to Sol.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On the first point - it's pretty eye-opening how so many people don't even get the typical 'first level' trophy.

I'm like that for pretty much every game I buy these days. I install them, play for a few minutes to make sure they actually work, then leave them until I'm in the mood to actually play through them. Sometimes that could be months, sometimes even years.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That whole mindset is alien to me. I'm like the exact opposite: before I even buy a game I audit it very thoroughly (or as well as I can; I do miss sometimes) to make sure it's what I want to play in the near future. If it isn't, or isn't complete enough yet (hi, Dusk and Amid Evil), I don't buy it. Why should I? "Feels more engaging than playing Path of Exile or League of Legends for free, or modding Skyrim or Doom" doesn't seem like the world's highest bar to clear, but devs keep managing to limbo under it.

I don't buy a lot of new games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lol, if your backlog isn't more than 20 titles deep

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

skasion posted:

Imo Infinity is easier to beat on TC than 1/2 are. That is to say, not very easy but at least there’s no colossal gently caress-you at the end like Try Again or the last room in All Roads Lead to Sol.

I've been tearing through 2 so far but we'll see how Sol is. IDK I'm not really worried about straight up combat difficulty it's the 'go through the weird vacuum dream level with the homing sphtkr turrets and straight into the hallway cyborg surround vacuum level with no health or oxygen regen' bit that fucks me. I know there's a 2x on Where somewhere but gently caress me if I can figure out how to get to it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol, if your backlog isn't more than 20 titles deep

When it goes well over 500 hundred (not counting trash bought in humble packs) you realize you have a problem. :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
With stuff like the Humble Bundles and how GOG used to make promos where your discount % depended on how many games you bought (take 1 game from the selection, get 10% discount; buy all ten and get 80% discount), it's easy to get a catalog with hundred of games you're most likely never going to even download.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The completion rate of DO4M's first mission currently sits at 74%.

People with offline consoles?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Turin Turambar posted:

People with offline consoles?

74% on Steam. It's 85% on PS4 and somehow all the way down to 68% on Xbone. Might be your idea for the consoles, but you can't fake it on PC so those have to be at least mostly accurate.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And I'm pretty sure that 74% (at least on Steam) is drawn from people who installed and played the game...so there's an additional group of people who bought DOOM and haven't even installed it yet.

SOURCE: I'm pretty sure Steam doesn't factor your "achievements" into the global pool until you've bought, installed, played, and obtained at least one achievement.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I don't have it because I was gifted the game and my computer can't run it. :saddowns:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People severely overestimate the amount of people who play a game for any appreciable length of time. If a 10+ hour campaign winds up with even a 30% completion rate that's practically legendary.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
An important thing to remember about Total Carnage in M2 vs Infinity is that M2 is very straightforward in its difficulty. Lots of enemies but you’re never far from a recharger and save and you always have ammo at hand.

Infinity has multiple vacuum levels, which M2 does not have, and on Total Carnage you drain extra oxygen while running and shooting. And there are longer sections without saves. It’s hard to say which is harder because while M2 definitely has the harder fights, Infinity has more bullshit like Acme Station leading into Post Naval Trauma.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

People severely overestimate the amount of people who play a game for any appreciable length of time. If a 10+ hour campaign winds up with even a 30% completion rate that's practically legendary.

Oh yeah definitely. I'm just noting that a fair number of people stop very very early on.

Vakal posted:

I'm like that for pretty much every game I buy these days. I install them, play for a few minutes to make sure they actually work, then leave them until I'm in the mood to actually play through them. Sometimes that could be months, sometimes even years.

I do this too sometimes, especially with Steam sale games - I have never played around a tenth of the games on my list. But I don't really understand those who buy new full-priced games like Monster Hunter World though, the 6% of those who didn't even get halfway through the opening tutorial. The game's sold 7.5 million as of March, that's 450,000 people who paid MSRP for MHW and stopped within ten minutes. If they didn't have the time to play it, it would have been better to get it later when they do, and the price has come down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish we could get stats on the basic completion rate for classic games with goons just in this thread. Personally, while I've beaten Shareware Wolf3D maybe 20 times, I don't think I've ever completed any of the other episodes. Beat Spear of Destiny once. Doom 1 (first 3 eps only) and 2 are both 100%, but I've only played and beaten Plutonia, No Rest for the Living, and TNT once each.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You really should play Thy Flesh Consumed, you know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Samuel Clemens posted:

You really should play Thy Flesh Consumed, you know.

Oh hahaha, I've played some of it, but it absolutely destroys me. I mean, I haven't ever beaten E4M2 legitimately. While I prefer to go through everything in the game on UV, this game was loving me up even on I'm Too Young To Die.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I beat one or two eps of Doom 1 UV pistol start. I started Ancient Aliens but got distracted by playing Planetside 2 for the first time in ages.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ancient aliens maps get cool as hell later on you should go back to it

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
There have been a few megawads that I haven't been able to finish forcing myself through either, but at least Doom mods are free and labors of love.

People apparently going out and buying AAA titles just because those titles exist, regardless of the actual enjoyment or satisfaction they'll ever get (or even reasonably expect to get) out of said titles, on the other hand... wow. I'm sure that doesn't create an unhealthy set of incentives for studios and publishers. :shepface:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I've watched a decent amount of footage on youtube. Idk I probably just shouldn't bother ironmanning and then I'd have an easier time sitting down to play it but some of the best fun I've had has been ironmanning even if it's overall frustrating.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Has anyone here tried Maps of Chaos? I saw it being used (not necessarily featured, though) in a Doom mod video. I thought it just sort of expanded the vanilla Doom and Doom II maps to give them a bit more flourish or make them look more realistic. However, they do change up the levels a bit. They put some of the stronger monsters in on earlier maps (meaning you can run into Shotgunners on Hangar, but you can also get a shotgun to deal with them). It does seem like it suffer from having a lot monster closets from the little I played.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i've played through MoC a lot; their goal is generally to remix the levels and make them noticeably harder than the originals, for people like me who find the original games pitifully easy. MoC is pretty good, especially the progressively harder hardcore and overkill variants!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish we could get stats on the basic completion rate for classic games with goons just in this thread. Personally, while I've beaten Shareware Wolf3D maybe 20 times, I don't think I've ever completed any of the other episodes. Beat Spear of Destiny once. Doom 1 (first 3 eps only) and 2 are both 100%, but I've only played and beaten Plutonia, No Rest for the Living, and TNT once each.

I'd actually like to know how many imps I've killed in my lifetime, etc. I basically avoid slaughtermaps but I've been playing Doom since 1994 and I'd imagine that the number for common enemies must be in the high 6-figures, low 7's at this point.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I love this so much. They almost look like they're higher resolution even though none of the pixels are out of place. Doom has great texture design and it seems like you can get a good look by altering the way the existing textures are rendered instead of replacing them with new ones. (Especially since a lot of high-res texture look like they are made by amateurs who figured out a few Photoshop effects from tutorials)

edit: Too bad it looks like it has issues without good light placement in the level

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 20, 2018

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoever that fucker was that created the eduke32 mega collection I adore you.

I've been throwing back PBR (Don't judge) and playing the first level of each as I go down the list. This is so goddamn baller and 100000% easier than when I tried to rig each mod to work individually five years ago.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BattleMaster posted:

I love this so much. They almost look like they're higher resolution even though none of the pixels are out of place. Doom has great texture design and it seems like you can get a good look by altering the way the existing textures are rendered instead of replacing them with new ones. (Especially since a lot of high-res texture look like they are made by amateurs who figured out a few Photoshop effects from tutorials)

edit: Too bad it looks like it has issues without good light placement in the level
The issue with retroactively adding depth to the textures is the edges:

If you look closely at the border of the zig-zag platform in-game it will look real drat weird and ruin the illusion. For new maps you can easily take this into account but there are tons of places in the original maps where textures get cut off in arbitrary ways. The more depth you add to the textures, the wonkier those places will look.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Honestly, some of this poo poo looks eerily real

PBR fireblu :getin:

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 20, 2018

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The billboard sprites kind of kill the look. It's a shame that voxel sprite remake project never got completed, the stuff they did looks great and would fit well in a PBR pipeline (I assume, I don't think I've ever seen this combination).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SwissCM posted:

The billboard sprites kind of kill the look. It's a shame that voxel sprite remake project never got completed, the stuff they did looks great and would fit well in a PBR pipeline (I assume, I don't think I've ever seen this combination).

We have the men. We have the technology. We have the ability to play an...elevated form of DOOM...

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Is that jDoom? That's gotta be jDoom or some Doomsday Engine flavor.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Is that jDoom? That's gotta be jDoom or some Doomsday Engine flavor.

I believe so, but I don't have the knowledge or the heart to say for certain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

protect this nice round boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it still kinda makes no sense to me how the doom mod scene has been around so long and has seen so much quality work but the 3d models that have been put out are complete garbo