Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
http://think-like-a-git.net/ is a great read if you haven't gotten git yet. it dives into the graph and pointers and breaks it down really nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

necrotic posted:

http://think-like-a-git.net/ is a great read if you haven't gotten git yet. it dives into the graph and pointers and breaks it down really nicely.

That reminded me of this:

https://twitter.com/tabqwerty/status/45611899953491968

I mean, of course!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Okay, but surely if branches are homeomorphic to some group that group is going to be discreet, right?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

poemdexter posted:

Make everyone else download SourceTree so they can see the magic too. It's pretty easy to understand git when you can see what you are doing.

I'd prefer they use Kraken.

Last time SourceTree touched one of my remotes I had hanging git processes eating 100% cpu.

And SmartGit ... isn't.

I postulate that the average Git GUI has about a three year shelf life before it starts to rot and decide it wants to rebase in weird ways or forget how to pass credentials to use LFS over SSH.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I like the Git GUI built in to Jetbrains projects. It is cool and good.

(ok, well its adequate at least)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I think it's very good, especially for merging. But I still lean on the CLI a lot, because I'm used to it and it's easier for some things like dealing with branches or stashes compared to a GUI. But the Jetbrains git GUI is the best I've used. Far better than trash like sourcetree.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Heck it’s my favorite perforce merge client now too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah this was what made it click for me too. Every time I did something with git and was all "wow this is actual real magic" my tech lead just replied "git is a graph and you are just doing things to the graph" and then one day I was like "oh right that makes sense" and now I am the office git guy :sun:

:same: re being the office git guy, which leads into my question for the day:

What do we like right now as far as on-premises web-based Git project hosting?

Only just got tasked with looking into this semi-officially but here's the bullet points I have so far
- must NOT require internet access in any form like for licensing or whatever (airgapped network)
- must allow access control/registration via LDAP
- must at least support branch locking/requiring peer review and pull requests
- preferably something with an easily-downloaded trial so I can do a quick evaluation on our online network then easily sneakernet it over
- free is nice and OSS is even better, but not required
- prefer to be something one guy can manage with maybe a half a day a week when things are working for administration tasks

(edit) We already have Team Foundation up and running for us with Git, and I suppose we could make that work company-wide, but the company isn't primarily a Windows shop by any stretch. How much poo poo would not work for teams hosting non-Windows software

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 17, 2018

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) We already have Team Foundation up and running for us with Git, and I suppose we could make that work company-wide, but the company isn't primarily a Windows shop by any stretch. How much poo poo would not work for teams hosting non-Windows software

Everything would work. Git is Git. Just install a modern version (2017 or beyond).

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
We use GitLab at my workplace. I’m not sure it ticks all your boxes (in particular, I think we pay to host it on-prem), but it works really well, and does the LDAP and branch-locking stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is GitLab notably slow or resource-heavy?

I sometimes contribute to a project that self-hosts using GitLab and I despise how slow the site is...but it's completely possible the lead developer is running it on a potato.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
GitLab is incredibly resource hungry. Its a massive ruby-on-rails project with lots of moving parts.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
For self-hosting git repos for a small team you can't beat gitolite. Easy to administer, light , just perfect in every way.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gitlab definitely demands 4GB of ram and you'd do better for more cores if you use certain features, but that's only $20/month on Linode.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I love Gitlab, but if you don't need the built-in CI/CD I would definitely look at simpler alternatives like Gitea and others.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Frankly I'm not even really sure what CI and CD are except they stand for continuous integration and deployment respectively?? But our deployment process is 100% unautomatable anyway :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I bet you’re wrong about that

E: to answer your question, CI is the code side of things, VCS and automated testing, CD is the build and release/deploy side

The Fool fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 19, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Fool posted:

I bet you’re wrong about that

E: to answer your question, CI is the code side of things, VCS and automated testing, CD is the build and release/deploy side

seeing as sneakernet is involved virtually immediately after pressing F6 in VS, it really isn't :v: ('til the robot revolution comes, anyway)

Thanks for explaining the acronyms though. As usual in this profession it seems like I learn what things are long before realizing they have acronyms or fancy million dollar words (see: me and dependency injection)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

seeing as sneakernet is involved virtually immediately after pressing F6 in VS, it really isn't :v: ('til the robot revolution comes, anyway)

Thanks for explaining the acronyms though. As usual in this profession it seems like I learn what things are long before realizing they have acronyms or fancy million dollar words (see: me and dependency injection)

But does it have to involve sneakernet? Like, is it a literal requirement of your system that you can't have a network cable run from the PC building your project?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

But does it have to involve sneakernet? Like, is it a literal requirement of your system that you can't have a network cable run from the PC building your project?

At the level where I can do anything about it? Yep :(

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Ciaphas posted:

At the level where I can do anything about it? Yep :(

:sever:

Life's too short to waste your time like that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boo_radley posted:

:sever:

Life's too short to waste your time like that

Someday, when I have the courage and will to uproot to a new town. Someday.
if i just keep telling myself that it makes it not hurt so much

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Ciaphas posted:

Someday, when I have the courage and will to uproot to a new town. Someday.
if i just keep telling myself that it makes it not hurt so much

Come to Denver. I can waste your time in a much more efficient way.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 24, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boo_radley posted:

Come to Denver. I'm can water your time I'm s much more efficient way.

speech to text and autocorrect translation: "I can waste your time in a much more efficient way". amuses me that that's a useful skill to learn nowadays :v:

but yeah being a denizen of las vegas, denver is high on my list if i ever work up the guts to apply let alone interview let alone say goodbye to the lovable dorks I work with

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Microsoft is apparently in talks to acquire GitHub.

This sounds simultaneously fishy and plausible to me for a few reasons, the biggest of which is that Microsoft is in the process of rolling out a direct GitHub competitor (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/devops/2018/04/27/vsts-public-projects-limited-preview/). If true, I take it as a sign that someone at Microsoft has no faith in public projects catching on, or Microsoft has a long-term desire to fold GitHub into VSTS.

Assuming this comes to pass, what's our prediction on the aftermath of this? Does a new, non-MiKKKro$oft GitHub equivalent rise? Do the Richard Stallman-esque OSS zealots go insane?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Assuming this comes to pass, what's our prediction on the aftermath of this? Does a new, non-MiKKKro$oft GitHub equivalent rise? Do the Richard Stallman-esque OSS zealots go insane?
Those people are already using bitbucket. Some more business will probably flow their way.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
a lot of my peeps are rollin' up their poo poo to gitlab. We'll see how it goes. I'd be more surprised if some existing vsts features don't get replaced with github's.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Microsoft is apparently in talks to acquire GitHub.

This sounds simultaneously fishy and plausible to me for a few reasons, the biggest of which is that Microsoft is in the process of rolling out a direct GitHub competitor (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/devops/2018/04/27/vsts-public-projects-limited-preview/). If true, I take it as a sign that someone at Microsoft has no faith in public projects catching on, or Microsoft has a long-term desire to fold GitHub into VSTS.

Github is such a staple of OSS and with Microsoft's push for more OSS and less Microsoft specific technologies, I see this as a good thing.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

Github is such a staple of OSS and with Microsoft's push for more OSS and less Microsoft specific technologies, I see this as a good thing.

That's how I'm looking at it (although I work specifically in this area for a Microsoft partner, so I'm biased). It just seems like a lot of people who aren't already working in the Microsoft ecosystem haven't looked at anything Microsoft has been up to for the past decade or so and jumped straight to "Microsoft is going to kill GitHub, lol clippy"

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

That's how I'm looking at it (although I work specifically in this area for a Microsoft partner, so I'm biased). It just seems like a lot of people who aren't already working in the Microsoft ecosystem haven't looked at anything Microsoft has been up to for the past decade or so and jumped straight to "Microsoft is going to kill GitHub, lol clippy"

That's exactly what I'm hearing around work today too. Lucky for me I have a lot of Microsoft friends across many areas, and they all say it's a way better culture now. I know a few of them that even have macs as their work machines!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Hmmm , I don't know. I used to use Skype, but after the fourth rewrite, each time with less features it seems, I am wary of MS "getting" GitHub and why it is popular. Same with their other dev tools at the moment: .Net Core seems like trainwreck, rewritten with less functions than the one it needs to replace. And so on.

It seems like they don't really have a vision. It just seems: " Hey that's popular, let's buy it!" See the NPM way of .Net Core: "Let's make everything a download!"

Time will tell. I am glad I host my own GitLab server though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The problem with .NET Core is that they are taking a very tightly integrated platform and rebuilding it from scratch to be cross-platform, and that takes time.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

The Fool posted:

The problem with .NET Core is that they are taking a very tightly integrated platform and rebuilding it from scratch to be cross-platform, and that takes time.

I think they should have just invested that time and energy into mono. It already ran on everything, it even runs on watches. Hell, Xamarin Forms seems better supported and is able to run on more platforms than WPF.
The problem seems to be that they can't make up their minds ( project.json? ) and release stuff unfinished.
Instead of 1 Framework we now have 3, maybe four if you also count the WinRT/UWP stuff, and they all have their own peculiarities.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 5, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I think they should have just invested that time and energy into mono. It already ran on everything, it even runs on watches. Hell, Xamarin Forms seems better supported and is able to run on more platforms than WPF.
The problem seems to be that they can't make up their minds ( project.json? ) and release stuff unfinished.
Instead of 1 Framework we now have 3, maybe four if you also count the WinRT/UWP stuff, and they all have their own peculiarities.

Xamarin is basically electron. It pretends to be native but is not, adds tons of overhead, and introduces tons of bugs by having an (inevitably) out of date API to native systems. It's cross platform in the worst way possible and really isn't a system you should be advocating for.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Self-hosted Gitlab is probably the way forward. I have posts earlier in this thread lamenting that I'd have to set up LDAP to have consistent logins to mix git and perforce without too much friction, but now I'll never go back. My devs that care appreciate all the little things Gitlab offers and everyone appreciates having a single login to remember. Some of the file history operations can still be a little slow on even a $40/month linode, but it's all totally worth it.

Also still: gently caress LDAP, and I will continue to manually abuse the 'database' because every goddamn tutorial is still about .conf files and ACLs are too much of a pain in the dick to write an ldif and remember what number each one was every time.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 6, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I host my own GitLab server, and you are right, it works really, really well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

necrotic posted:

GitLab is incredibly resource hungry. Its a massive ruby-on-rails project with lots of moving parts.

I just can't bear how slow gitlab is.

Fortunately, its not like github can make my code inaccessible to me. If they ever gently caress up, we just change the remote.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
If you don't need the crap that gitlab has (web based UI, issue tracking) you can't beat gitolite for centralized git server. Administration is done via git itself. It is as lightweight as it can be.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Sooooo talking about switches... my small company is about to make the switch from.... Subversion to Git! Talk about time for modernizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Volguus posted:

If you don't need the crap that gitlab has (web based UI, issue tracking) you can't beat gitolite for centralized git server. Administration is done via git itself. It is as lightweight as it can be.

Gitea is way better than gitolite and lightweight as hell.