Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Comedy is the only genre for adults though. What we have is great and I’m happy for it, but I wish there was more diversity as they have in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Drama films period are mostly in a dearth in the West.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Aggretsuko, like many cartoons about animal-people in a normal setting, is insufficiently marxist.

It's a show about labor relations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nobody looks at Sausage Party managing to make its budget back almost tenfold and Rick and Morty having a crazy huge rabid fanbase and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for adult comedy in animation." it's like they actively ignore it when these things do well.

Adult Swim sure wasn't ignoring it, Rick and Morty just got renewed for another 70 episodes: http://deadline.com/2018/05/rick-and-morty-renewed-70-episode-order-creators-dan-harmon-justin-roiland-deal-adult-swim-1202386828/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 11, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No way will a show already suffering for quality since season 1 experience any kind of downward slide running for over one hundred episodes

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
They could Venture Brother's it and release 70 episodes over 20 years.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and last I heard Bojack and Archer are still doing fairly well, but I'm groaning at Rick and Morty getting more episodes given how loving awful that fanbase gets.

EDIT: Also isn't part of the reason Sausage Made so much money is due to shady reasons where animators aren't being paid as much they should for their work?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mycot posted:

They could Venture Brother's it and release 70 episodes over 20 years.

At R&M's current rate of output it would take them over 12 years to get 70 episodes to air, so they'd eventually drop their 100th episode sometime in 2030 or thereabouts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: Also isn't part of the reason Sausage Made so much money is due to shady reasons where animators aren't being paid as much they should for their work?

that's probably why they were able to make it for 10mil, but $100mil is $100mil, that'd be a respectable take even with 5x as high of a budget (and a serious movie that got the same kind of marketing and buzz could stand to do even better).

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: Also isn't part of the reason [commercial product] so much money is due to shady reasons where [the laborers, who produce the wealth] aren't being paid as much they should for their work?

Yes.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I agree that the plight of the worker sucks but are you really suggesting that movies generally are inherently bad and shouldn't exist? :laffo:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The implication seems to be that people should be paid more. I dunno where you're getting that weird take, especially when the post was made so general as to encompass all commercial products.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

stuff for adults does get made, though and when it does manage to crack the mainstream temporarily, it loving prints money. and yet, for some reason, it never becomes a trend. nobody looks at Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell basically singlehandedly keeping Manga Entertainment in business and Castlevania doing crazy well on Netflix, and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for animated action stuff." nobody looks at Sausage Party managing to make its budget back almost tenfold and Rick and Morty having a crazy huge rabid fanbase and goes "hmm, maybe there's an audience for adult comedy in animation." it's like they actively ignore it when these things do well.

literary fiction would only be comparable if there was a massive horde of starved intellectuals coming out of the woodwork whenever a publisher puts a literary fiction novel out.

e: like, loving christ, Sausage Party alone should have honestly changed this. it was a very bad movie, but it also literally made ten times its budget solely off the novelty of it being R-rated. you'd think some of the animation studios would be looking at this, imagining the results of making an R-rated animated movie that's actually good and high-effort, and seeing massive loving dollar signs.

There's not really a formula tying these together that assures success the way children's cartoons tend to follow an established template for predictable results, and you're risking a lot more paying to fully animate your film about a sapient dildo who talks like Donald Trump vs. just getting a nice camera and a making the dildo a guy. there's like a mozillion lovely shows that've been floated on Adult Swim and most will be gone in a season or two, not inspiring Reddit death cults

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 11, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some of the coolest animation ever was for bad shows like Frankenhole, but drat did it have potential

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
animation will get interesting again when the world war kicks off

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

this broken hill posted:

animation will get interesting again when the world war kicks off

Yeah it'll be a golden age of animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvE3euZYqo

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I attempted to watch Shinbone Alley. It was unwatchable. It’s too bad because the animation is really good. It’s just an utter mess. I really wanted to like it.

In other news I finally ordered the DVD of Twice Upon a Time so I can stop daydreaming about it all the time.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So has anyone seen the weird movie on netflix called Monster family? I uh happened to take a look at it when my little brother decided to watch it and i'm completely befuddled.

It's obviously a European movie because of how bad some of the dubbed lines are, and it definitely seemed to be after the Hotel Transylvania crowd because there's a Frakenstein monster that farts :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pixeltendo posted:

So has anyone seen the weird movie on netflix called Monster family? I uh happened to take a look at it when my little brother decided to watch it and i'm completely befuddled.

It's obviously a European movie because of how bad some of the dubbed lines are, and it definitely seemed to be after the Hotel Transylvania crowd because there's a Frakenstein monster that farts :v:

Monster Family sounds like the title on a Chinese bootleg of TCM

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Ccs posted:

Yeah it'll be a golden age of animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvE3euZYqo
this is amazing thanks for linking it, my animation history knowledge is actually weak as hell and i'm not american so i'd never seen any of this stuff before

21st century propaganda animation is going to be hilarious. comic books are already swerving toward blatant 50s-era jingoism with partnerships with defence companies and poo poo, soon we'll be getting lavishly made shorts where the teen titans teach kids to spy on their brown neighbours with drones

this broken hill fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 13, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
and i think we're about to see a rebirth of the nuclear apocalypse in the zeitgeist, which is also going to be interesting, given we know a lot more about the effects of nuclear "obliteration" now than we did in the 80s last time this stuff was popular so we should be able to take it in new directions artistically

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
you see, every cloud has a silver lining

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

:geno:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

this broken hill posted:

you see, every cloud has a silver lining

This is the first I've heard of nuclear fallout consisting of heavy metals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I saw Lu Over The Wall today and it had a dance party ending, but this one was earned because music was a prominent theme in the thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Batman Ninja was gorgeous. The best animated Batman movie since Mask of the Phantasm.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Batman Ninja was gorgeous. The best animated Batman movie since Mask of the Phantasm.

Really? Was this the Japanese version of the story or the US one?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched through the US version today, but I'll be seeing the Japanese dub sometime this week. It's only around 86 minutes. Pretty short.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pixeltendo posted:

Really? Was this the Japanese version of the story or the US one?

Really, there is so little of interest conveyed through the dialogue in the Japanese version I can't see how it would really matter which version you get. Watch it for the visual splendour.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just popping in to corroborate that Isle of Dogs is quite good. Definitely got a bit of that Fantastic Mr. Fox timing with its humor. A bit bloodier than I'd have liked, but the setting did sorta warrant it. I really didn't need to see a kidney transfusion depicted on-screen. Also, I have to say, the dedication of the anti-dog conspiracy is well above and beyond the point of being even vaguely realistic; it's kinda great.

I'm kinda curious as to how Japan took to it; if it was dubbed, or just run as-is but with the English bits subtitled much as the Japanese bits were (occasionally) subtitled over here.

Also Aggretsuko was good and I kind of want a Season 2, even though I don't know if it could cover much that the existing season didn't handle well enough already. I guess there's room for expansion, given there were 100 1-minute shorts to go off of, which surely went into some subject matter that the Netflix show didn't, but then, said shorts also didn't have quite the same cast (I mean, they reused a lot of faces, but for instance, Haida was a playboy who got all the girls swooning over him and didn't interact regularly with Retsuko, yet here he's a close friend of hers and is hardly a playboy, as he only really has eyes for her... changes like that.)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Double post, but about a different film, cuz I'm going back to Zootopia again.

Is there a good rebuttal against the criticism about the whole predator/prey dynamic that the film is centered around having rather unfortunate implications? Like, the criticism is specifically that there's some level of truth to the matter of predators eating prey; not in the present time, of course, that much is made explicit, but it's also explicitly stated to have definitely happened an untold number of years ago. Therefore, the film's ambitions to tackle the subject of various prejudices in human society (albeit not any specific ones) is thoroughly undermined, since the film is also stating that those prejudices had basis in truth at some point long ago, which is sort of the exact opposite thing you want to do with a subject like that, as it just justifies the bigots holding those prejudices.

Best counterarguments I can make sort of sidestep the issue without really debunking it. Pointing out that it's hardly the only prejudice in the film, such as Judy encountering "small people can't do big people jobs" or Nick encountering "all foxes are untrustworthy sleazes, full-stop", doesn't really address the accusation at all (because the predator/prey angle is still a pretty heavy focus right from the opening scene). Pointing out that the film does go out of its way to state that things have long since changed just ignores that it also states it had basis in truth in the first place (again, right in the opening scene), which is the entire crux of the argument. Pointing out the film was a lot worse about it in the shock-collar script doesn't really help matters either. I can't shake the feeling that it is, bluntly, a true criticism, and that the core allegory really is flawed in that way.

I'm still not that bothered by it myself (though as a white cisgendered heterosexual male, I'd be unaffected by most prejudices in American society applicable to the allegory anyway), but a friend of mine absolutely hates the film for this, and I don't know that I can convince him to overlook it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ask him how he’d have handled it that would make it not problematic

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I personally think that Zootopia is trying to reach an audience that does not understand racism who thinks that minorities are scary.
So it starts from their principles (We have reason to fear these different people, these people are inherently not like us), and then shows that even under their own assumptions living in fear and hatred is not worthwhile, how your prejudices can be exploited by seemingly well-meaning leaders, and a more nuanced view of racism than just hate crimes.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Shadow Hog posted:

Double post, but about a different film, cuz I'm going back to Zootopia again.

Is there a good rebuttal against the criticism about the whole predator/prey dynamic that the film is centered around having rather unfortunate implications? Like, the criticism is specifically that there's some level of truth to the matter of predators eating prey; not in the present time, of course, that much is made explicit, but it's also explicitly stated to have definitely happened an untold number of years ago. Therefore, the film's ambitions to tackle the subject of various prejudices in human society (albeit not any specific ones) is thoroughly undermined, since the film is also stating that those prejudices had basis in truth at some point long ago, which is sort of the exact opposite thing you want to do with a subject like that, as it just justifies the bigots holding those prejudices.

Best counterarguments I can make sort of sidestep the issue without really debunking it. Pointing out that it's hardly the only prejudice in the film, such as Judy encountering "small people can't do big people jobs" or Nick encountering "all foxes are untrustworthy sleazes, full-stop", doesn't really address the accusation at all (because the predator/prey angle is still a pretty heavy focus right from the opening scene). Pointing out that the film does go out of its way to state that things have long since changed just ignores that it also states it had basis in truth in the first place (again, right in the opening scene), which is the entire crux of the argument. Pointing out the film was a lot worse about it in the shock-collar script doesn't really help matters either. I can't shake the feeling that it is, bluntly, a true criticism, and that the core allegory really is flawed in that way.

I'm still not that bothered by it myself (though as a white cisgendered heterosexual male, I'd be unaffected by most prejudices in American society applicable to the allegory anyway), but a friend of mine absolutely hates the film for this, and I don't know that I can convince him to overlook it.

I think it falls into an problem where the central setting of the movie, Prey vs Predators, is solely used to set up the movie's cartoon universe and to create a simple "other" character for the main character of Judy. This idea pretty much stops here and should stop here. It is why things like how food is almost completely unmentioned, how the rabbit society would collapse due to overpopulation overnight if true, or why the Nudist scene without genitals exists. Its basically saying, "Don't look too deep into this Animal Society. It is inherently silly." Trying to apply this Predator vs Prey mentality to our world is just wrong. It would show an either shocking lack of understanding of race issues at best or would have to come from a racist mindset at worst.

The other themes and ideas the movies discusses are worth talking about. How bias can exist in well-meaning characters, how it gets exploited by various factors, the fear of the other (or "there is a them now." bit), etc etc etc. Those are things worth discussing and diving into because the movie shows them in interesting and clever ways. These are the things to take from the movie as worthy of discussion.

I took Zootopia as a way to introduce people to some of the underlying issues regarding race, bias, and privilege, but in a basic, funny way. It is not trying to blunt about it but uses these cute animal characters to ease you into that discussion. It is a good starter to some very real, very relevant topics of our times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah the predator vs. prey , or broad animal relations, is not 1:1 analogous with human race relations and I don't think it's intended to be. By using something relatively removed from the human experience, Zootopia is able to approach a topic many people are hesitant to discuss without the risk of running into those people's preconceptions and prejudices about actual social topics

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

Therefore, the film's ambitions to tackle the subject of various prejudices in human society (albeit not any specific ones) is thoroughly undermined, since the film is also stating that those prejudices had basis in truth at some point long ago, which is sort of the exact opposite thing you want to do with a subject like that, as it just justifies the bigots holding those prejudices.

I don't think this is necessarily true at all. Racism would still be wrong even if the prejudices has some basis in fact.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think this is necessarily true at all. Racism would still be wrong even if the prejudices has some basis in fact.

Yeah, the idea that racism would suddenly be okay if there was some biological truth to it is one that gets held up from time to time and it's complete bullshit. Especially if you're looking at some ~biotruths~ from a long distant past. Even if tomorrow some horrifying racist bullshit turned out to be 100% true that wouldn't make it okay.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

Right, and that's an important dimension also. If there were ABSOLUTE PROOF tomorrow that Asians were good at math but couldn't jump, it wouldn't be ok to dismiss them as "the calculating jumpless".

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And frankly, any attempt to do a 1:1 analog to real life groups would just end up as extremely insulting - there's a reason why Nick and Judy don't really map to any one specific group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm not going to bother to watch the thing, but boy the new My Little Pony movie had some surprisingly good animators on staff. Some of it is really smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjkhprTzhts&t=29s