Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if there's many shows that were cancelled and left me thinking, "I'm furious because I wanted that to go on forever!" Maybe The 4400 and The Dead Zone. The former sort of ends its story on a semi-cliffhanger but it still feels like there's a lot of stories still to tell; it's a kind of "everything has changed" ending which says, "The world is different now and that's just the way it is."

The latter was in a weird position because the final season began with them writing most of the supporting characters out and abandoning the book/movie story arc where Johnny has to prevent Stillson from becoming president in favour of going back to a more episodic format, which was fine for what it was, but then they brought back the story arc in the last couple of episodes and kinda sorta finished it, but it was the same thing: "There's more stories you could tell here."

However, that links in with what I do find very annoying, which is when shows end on an unresolved cliffhanger. Alphas is a big one; I know Zak Penn has set out a list of things he wanted to do in seasons three and four, but I think a lot of them are jokes and he doesn't actually say how he envisaged episode one of season three beginning.

On the other hand you have something like Sliders, which ends on a somewhat annoying cliffhanger but which I didn't really want to see continue past that point except for the resolution. If Sliders had ended with its third season, in which Wade and Rembrandt are seemingly returned home at last while Quinn and Kari Wuhrer's character continue off on adventures themselves, that would've been fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The last season of the Dead Zone happened that way because Michael Piller died and Anthony Hall took over and made all those changes.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

When I think of shows that could have been GREAT - not just good, but GREAT - there are two shows that come to mind that were just.... unceremoniously destroyed for low rating despite having SO MUCH potential and just being so goddamn great...

First off - Kings. Anyone remember this? It was a sort of odd retelling of the biblical tale of David and King Saul, the second and first kings of Kingdom of Israel and Judah. The show was fairly high-budget and looked great, and it had Ian McShane being incredibly awesome at the center as King Saul, and a young Sebastian Stan pre-Bucky Barnes kinda stealing the show at times as Saul's darkly ambitious but queer and closeted son, Jonathan. That could have been such a good show and it just looked STUNNING. The setting was this fantastic combination of both the ancient and the modern. The setting is familiar in certain modern technologies, but the language and culture presented is very ancient. You know, the setting reminds me a GREAT DEAL of Julie Taymor's awesome film adaptation of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus. It had like.. a similar concept in presenting cities as both modern and ancient simultaneously.

The other fantastic show I felt was unfairly canceled was a show on AMC that ran for a single season called Rubicon. It felt like the ending was truncated as the writers knew it was ending, but the first three quarters of that season especially were really special, had at least 1 probably 2 fantastically enigmatic breaakout characters too, it's just great. Quiet, subtle, smart. Like a more intelligent and evolved modern take on 3 Days of the Condor. I can't even put it a genre, it's kind of like... Deals with some of the same topics as Homeland, but has no action and is a bit more.... A normal guy finding himself caught up in very real events, trying to do the right thing and trust the right person(s). One of those shows where you sigh about how great it COULD have been, like Kings

Both of those shows were cancelled about 2010 - maybe the same year. They dumped Rubicon to spend more money on Walking Dead, which premiered that year and utterly overshadowed Rubicon. And I'm not a huge fan of that show. It was OK at first but I kinda held a grudge... Kings was a network show, NBC or CBS or something, and people just didn't watch it. I remember they moved it to Friday then to Saturday then put the last 2 eps online the ratings were so dismal. These shows failing really made me lose faith in the whole system

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 19, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One show I really enjoyed from around that time was Kidnapped, which told a complete story in one season before it was cancelled but had a hook at the end for more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kaworu posted:

Kings and Rubicon

I remember both of those - Kings was really good, but it almost was fine with me that it only lasted one season, at least from what I recall it kind of felt like it worked as a miniseries.

Rubicon had to have been one of the first scripted AMC shows, wasn't it? Looking it up now, it was only their third, after Mad Men and Breaking Bad (and The Prisoner remake miniseries).

Speaking of Sebastian Stan, I feel like he popped up a lot pre-Captain America in a lot of notable places. Kings, Ciaran Hinds and Sigourney Weaver's son in Political Animals (I think also gay there?), the Mad Hatter in the first season of Once Upon a Time, the villain in Hot Tub Time Machine, a cameo in Black Swan... for whatever reason, I kept noticing him. I feel like I haven't seen him as often post-Marvel.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Invasion started out kinda meh but then it got loving amazing and ABC just cut it loose out of greed, only for every other post-Lost show to tank way loving worse.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Wheat Loaf posted:

On the other hand you have something like Sliders, which ends on a somewhat annoying cliffhanger but which I didn't really want to see continue past that point except for the resolution. If Sliders had ended with its third season, in which Wade and Rembrandt are seemingly returned home at last while Quinn and Kari Wuhrer's character continue off on adventures themselves, that would've been fine by me.

The problem with Sliders is that I thought it was good. It does not hold up. It’s bad. Like really bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

The problem with Sliders is that I thought it was good. It does not hold up. It’s bad. Like really bad.

The first season has a neat "look what scifi in the 90's was like" thing going on but man the later seasons are total poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was really bizarre how that show kept going after losing pretty much everybody from the original cast.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

sportsgenius86 posted:

Invasion started out kinda meh but then it got loving amazing and ABC just cut it loose out of greed, only for every other post-Lost show to tank way loving worse.

Invasion, Surface, and Threshold. I liked all three of those and they were all interesting, but Invasion was by far the best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

It was really bizarre how that show kept going after losing pretty much everybody from the original cast.

I ditched out on Once Upon a Time a couple of seasons ago but I kept catching the last moments of this season and as best as I could tell the entire original cast was gone except the Evil Queen.

I also saw what I assume was the final scene of the series last night which gave me a weird feeling of closure considering I have no idea what happened the last 2 seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Once Upon a Time lost just about everyone last season because contracts were up and nobody re-upped.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man, i remember when TVIV was full of Rubicon fans (myself included). definitely a show cancelled too soon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most of these shows got dvds that said "The Compete First Season" on the cover and I'm pretty sure it was after most of them knew there wouldn't be a second one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What ended up happening to Henry, the most obnoxious kid in the world. In OUAT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Nothing good I hope.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I get apoplectic when I think about Terriers and Rubicon being canceled

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FARSCAPE.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

I get apoplectic when I think about Terriers and Rubicon being canceled

I think one of the reasons I liked Patriot so much is that it reminded me of a more ambitious Terriers

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

He eventually became "The Storyteller" and was revealed to be the guy who wrote the Storybook and could like rewrite the reality of everyone and create new people and fairytales if he wanted to and was basically a god. I forgot what happened after that because its right around when I tapped out but in the recent season I was watching the final 30 second of every episode in I'm pretty sure he was a grown man for whatever reason.

One day I'll probably binge the last couple of seasons of that show on Netflix just to see what happened, but I really do feel a lot of closure from just seeing the final 30 seconds last night.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Rome. Too much history squeezed into season 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Collateral posted:

Rome. Too much history squeezed into season 2.

The word is they had a 5 year plan for the show but since it got cancelled they had to do as you say

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GreenNight posted:

I love all fantasy and I'm always down for more, but jesus christ I have absolutely zero interest in LOTR. I'd prefer more of that Sword of Truth show from years back.

I'm gonna second this because Legend of the Seeker was laser-targeted to piss off the Objectivist madman behind the novels. It was great. They loosely adapted a single novel for the first season and then the show went full Xena ham in that world instead of ever touching on the novels' "one man vs communism" plot.

"gently caress it! This week Grandpa Obi-Wan is going to play the whole thing in drag because the warrior nun refuses to wear makeup in a plot about seducing a noble!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Legend of the Seeker was a blast, and took the better ideas from SoT to make a campy Xena/Hercules-esque adventure show. It was even a Raimi joint!

also dat Bridget Regan

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
This season of Westworld is crazy!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nothing was better than the Viking guy this week showing up in a helmet/mask, and Goldberg saying "Take that off".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

The word is they had a 5 year plan for the show but since it got cancelled they had to do as you say

But on the other hand, if you consider it a prequel to I Claudius, it pretty much gives all the backstory to the latter you need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

Legend of the Seeker was a blast, and took the better ideas from SoT to make a campy Xena/Hercules-esque adventure show. It was even a Raimi joint!

also dat Bridget Regan

She's lovely. Still ain't gonna watch the Last Ship though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

She's lovely. Still ain't gonna watch the Last Ship though.

Dude, you love Star Trek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Dude, you love Star Trek.

IT'S PLATONIC

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Everyone knows that Space: Above and Beyond is the original crime of a network cancellation. Also there was a really fun low budget sci-fi comedy on the Yahoo streaming service called Otherspace that died with their platform.

I'm also bitter about losing B in Apt 23 and Better Off Ted, even though they each got two seasons they were both jerked around by the networks and screwed by being aired out of order or in awful time slots.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wandle Cax posted:

The H50 reboot coming back for season 9 you mean? they know what they're doing.

So...? What the gently caress does that have to do with anything I said

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

zoux posted:

Oh boy finally my patience in watching this bad show is going to pay off with forums popularity!

He's the main character of the last season! But he's played by a new actor because of a time jump. Now he and his wife Cinderella (a different Cinderella from before because they establish there's a whole multiverse of similar stories) are cursed to live in Seattle and don't remember each other and only their daughter can bring them back to their senses. Along for the ride from the old cast are Rumplestiltskin (cursed to live forever and never be with Belle, whom he lived with until she died of old age), alternate universe Hook (from the plot point last season where Emma wished that the curse had never happened), and Regina (she was present during the new curse because she was helping a rebellion fight against an evil queen that wasn't her, I think).

HOWEVER, the old Henry actor is still around! First in flashbacks, then at the end of the season as a bad guy alternate universe Henry. And yes, there's an explanation for why the alternate universe Henry is still young. You see, in addition to trapping the cast in Hyperion Heights, the curse also sent them backwards in time so that the original cast in Storybrooke wouldn't notice they were missing in the first place. That led to what was pretty much the only clever idea the show's had in a few seasons, which is the reveal that the Henry flashbacks were actually happening concurrently, leading to a phone call where one calls the other on the phone.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Who all left, besides Jennifer Morrison's delicious arms?

Is Lana Parilla in the final season b/c this will determine if I watch it when I finally finish w/e season was before this.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yes, from the original actors, only Hook, Regina, and Rumple are left. You might even consider this whole season Regina's epilogue season because the end of the series is about her rather than about Henry. Recurring are Henry's original actor and Selena. Special appearances from Emma and Belle (near the start and at the end), Snow and Charming (at the end), and then a smattering of old guest stars in the last two episodes.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah and that's the exact problem.

Friends, what's the first show that you loved that was cancelled unjustly, leading you to mistrust and hate network executives?

Almost Human is the most recent(not this season) example I can think of, but I can't exactly remember other ones.
I was depressed when Futurama and Family Guy were canceled

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Argue posted:

Yes, from the original actors, only Hook, Regina, and Rumple are left. You might even consider this whole season Regina's epilogue season because the end of the series is about her rather than about Henry. Recurring are Henry's original actor and Selena. Special appearances from Emma and Belle (near the start and at the end), Snow and Charming (at the end), and then a smattering of old guest stars in the last two episodes.

Good trio to keep on, at least. Especially if Henry is mostly played by a new actor now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I caught half of the next-to-last episode of OUAT before Agents of Shield, and my thoughts (completely self-aware) were "wow that was bizarre. Now let's watch a grounded show where accidental time travelers are getting ready to fight a guy who was driven insane and then touched metal that made him crazier and start eating people."

The moral is: anything seems weird when you come in right at the end.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

raditts posted:

So...? What the gently caress does that have to do with anything I said

Were you complaining about new Magnum and pals being ex seal delta shootymen because the originals were exactly that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Okay, why is anybody actually deeply pissed about Terriers? It's a nearly perfect season, it ends with as much closure as noir can and anything further runs a good chance of diluting its perfection. All shows should be so lucky.