Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Helicity posted:

how do i convince people kotlin is better than groovy? im willing to use forbidden arts

are there real life groovy likers??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
get then intellij and then say it’s the same people who made it

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
didn't we used to have rules against poorchat

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Ploft-shell crab posted:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ploft-shell crab posted:

too many.. usually in whatever markets had a large ruby on rails community

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

"this code base is buggy and unreadable - we need more discipline in our PRs"
-developer who will only work in groovy, and thinks linting, static compilation, and strong typing are the tools of the devil

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
groovy does an amazing job of combining all the worst parts of ruby and java into one language. it's like an art project that people confused for a serious language

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ploft-shell crab posted:

i suspect the main reasons to use groovy were that it had a repl and local type inference. now java 9 includes the former and java 10 will bring the latter

hopefully the groovy scourge will wither and die

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ploft-shell crab posted:

sup

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Helicity posted:

how do i convince people kotlin is better than groovy? im willing to use forbidden arts

it's not, so don't bother

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this explains a lot

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you just can't get your head around the idea that a system is a product of its programmers, not its tools (language)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
java 9 has a repl? never heard that. how the heck do I use it?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not, so don't bother

spicy take considering how garbage groovy is, do you care enough to do a small effort post?

im already liking maven more after coming across my first 60 line task inside a gradle build file that "helps" build helm configs - so im open to your other crazy ideas.

On a side note, Java 9 REPL stuff: http://www.baeldung.com/java-9-repl

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Gazpacho posted:

you just can't get your head around the idea that a system is a product of its programmers, not its tools (language)

a really good bicyclist can do a 100 mile ride on a huffy mountain bike, it doesnt mean they should use that instead of a bike that makes their job easier, is less prone to failure, and more fun to ride

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also java 10 is actually out although you could be forgiven for not noticing since it happened with very little fanfare

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Samsungs SmartThings home automation product does allows users to do more advanced automation scenarios all via groovy.

There's a ton of stuff out there written to handle all sorts of odd ball devices and scenarios.

It will never die.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my experience with groovy with going to the groovy website and finding that half of the links were broken.

also after using groovy for 10 minutes it was plainly obvious that it was terrible.

now we have some jenkinsfiles written in it which i hate but whatever. it is at least better than bash.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i feel like the language's creator publicly disowning it is a pretty big red flag

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sapozhnik posted:

i feel like the language's creator publicly disowning it is a pretty big red flag

yeah, honestly kudos to him

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Helicity posted:

how do i convince people kotlin is better than groovy?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

thats a little more forbidden artsy than i was prepared for

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ploft-shell crab posted:

There were when groovy was the new hot thing like kotlin is now.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
groovy on grails

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Malcolm XML posted:

groovy on grails

i thought this was a joke when someone first said it to me. ugh

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
where’s the kotlin on kubernetes

am I doing this right

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Helicity posted:

60 line task inside a gradle build file that "helps" build helm configs - so im open to your other crazy ideas.
crazy idea: read the code until you understand it, then simplify it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

only idiots buy their macs new and not used for 1/3 the price

Only idiots don't just get their macs from work.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
only idiots use macs at all

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blotto Skorzany posted:

only idiots use macs at all

lol i aint' goin back to a thinkpad bub

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Beamed posted:

i thought this was a joke when someone first said it to me. ugh

I went to a NFJS conference back in like the early 2000's when groovy and grails were a Big Deal

saw a intro-to-grails presentation by a well-respected dude who had written at least two books on grails and he spent the entire goddamn 90 minutes trying to figure out why his incredibly simple grails app demo wasn't working.

and that was the last time i considered using grails for anything.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
groovy on grails was one of the many rails knockoff projects that completely misunderstood what was good about rails. it was sort of baffling how early rails marketing was entirely focused on how it made it so that you could bang out a functional demo app in just a few minutes and then have clear guidance on how to grow that into a real application, and yet a bunch of people came to the conclusion that actually what made rails good was all the impossible to debug magic and so they decided to replicate that and not the great getting-started experience.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
which is crazy because Rails was just somebody stumbling upon what made WebObjects great and recreating it without important features (by creating “scaffolding” for a developer to modify instead of just driving the app from a set of extensible rules)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

webobjects being proprietary and expensive set serverwide webdev back a decade or more. imagine a world in which you could use webobjects on lovely shared hosting rather than php4

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Plorkyeran posted:

webobjects being proprietary and expensive set serverwide webdev back a decade or more. imagine a world in which you could use webobjects on lovely shared hosting rather than php4

i remember when apple dropped the price of webobjects from the insane $10k/server or w/e it was to like $99/server and it was like "you stupid fucks goddamnit why didn't you do this years ago"

so consultants used PowerBuilder to build lovely CRUD apps instead, and I am 100% sure none of them still exist because ugh.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Plorkyeran posted:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

which is crazy because Rails was just somebody stumbling upon what made WebObjects great and recreating it without important features (by creating “scaffolding” for a developer to modify instead of just driving the app from a set of extensible rules)

i never thought i'd see someone defending WebObjects but here we are

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

webobjects was ahead of its time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
doesnt eschaton literally work at apple

i imagine you gotta drink the kool-aid to work there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU