Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cainer posted:

The heck is a slamguinius?

handsome-vampire-shaped cruise missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cainer posted:

Warlord BA captain with a storm shield, thunder hammer, and jump pack. There's other relic shenanigans as well but that's the basic template. Hits really hard, and has good odds on surviving after his first target to crumple something else.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

Game 3 I stole. My opponent had Cultist and Tzeentch Prince spam and controlled the game for 4 turns, but he wasn't very good and didn't really know the mission (combo Big Guns and Contact Lost I think, whatever one where you get a Maelstrom card for every objective you hold). He was also super slow. Turn 4 rolled up and we agreed it was the last one, so I jumped on every end-game objective with Ravagers and won 15-9. He had no idea what my army did or that I could scoot 22" with one with the stratagem, that the Venoms could leap to the other board edge, that Heavy Support trumped everything for objectives etc. etc.

Awesome that you pulled that one out, it looked pretty dire when i came over!

Cainer posted:

A death companied blood angel captain with thunder hammer, jetpack and storm shield. The combination of the extra attacks from death company and a strat that’s available with the +1 to wound on charges means they can crater most vehicles/monsters with maximum prejudice, and they can use strategems to redeploy and get good charges off. It’s an extremely popular tournament choice, as you can see from the fact that 2/3 of my opponents were packing at least one. The first in an army will also usually have the no overwatch/reroll charges relic. My Hemlock had an outrageous run of somehow not getting slammed to death by them today.

One_Wing fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 19, 2018

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

We talked about it afterwards and basically the only advice he could offer me was 'go first' because there's not much else that would have worked.

lol at anyone who pretends this game offers enough agency and nuance to be considered competitive in any way

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

lol at anyone who pretends this game offers enough agency and nuance to be considered competitive in any way

Having terrain that is hilariously range-friendly likely helped

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
'the secret to winning is to roll first' - a top level competitor and tactition at warhammer 40000

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Neurolimal posted:

Having terrain that is hilariously range-friendly likely helped

The central LOS blockers that are on every table are slightly better at their job than it might appear from pictures - I’ve had vastly more units not be able to shoot because of LOS today than I get in most games.

Really, they should probably have made the big central LOS blockers for every table and then filled out the rest of the boards with normal terrain - that might have let them pull off their build plans correctly, and whereas the central LOS blockers do actually feel like they’re adding something, the rest of the stuff really doesn’t.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

'the secret to winning is to roll first' - a top level competitor and tactition at warhammer 40000

For my specific list on the shithouse terrain we're playing on, yeah. Not true outside of that specific context though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

There's plenty of agency and nuance, it just requires you to omit the vast majority of armies, units, and stratagems. Competitive 40K is entirely about exploiting efficiencies and synergies while minimizing the agency of your opponent. The big difference between the game GW sells and competitive 40K is that competitive 40K does not take your opponent having fun into consideration.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
8th edition has done a lot to help me realize that I just don’t particularly care about competitive play. What we see in these tournaments is just so fundamentally different from what I play that it may as well just be a different game.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Competitive play is loving garbage and the real heart of the game is in doing fun poo poo with friends over beers in your garage :ssh:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's plenty of agency and nuance, it just requires you to omit the vast majority of armies, units, and stratagems. Competitive 40K is entirely about exploiting efficiencies and synergies while minimizing the agency of your opponent. The big difference between the game GW sells and competitive 40K is that competitive 40K does not take your opponent having fun into consideration.

why are you bothering, it's BMS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

8th edition has done a lot to help me realize that I just don’t particularly care about competitive play. What we see in these tournaments is just so fundamentally different from what I play that it may as well just be a different game.

Back in 3rd edition I had a competitive IW army. The best game I ever had was in the Baltimore GT against a DA opponent that was equally competitive. It was a lot of intense rolling, maneuvering, and countering that went all the way to the last turn. I still remember that game.

Then the new Codex came out, Iron Warriors were poo poo, and they still are.

Rules change. The meta changes. Either you keep up and change your army or you lose. gently caress that. Give me stupid games that don't matter with good friends and booze.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

why are you bothering, it's BMS.

Because I enjoy writing and if I actually wanted to change someone's opinion I would know better than to talk to them online.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Competitive play is loving garbage and the real heart of the game is in doing fun poo poo with friends over beers in your garage :ssh:

This a hundred times over.

The group and I decided to play a few 500 pts games, particularly to help ease in new players, but additionally to get in some quick games. It was brilliant.

I could not believe how fast each game was, the total change in game play and gone was the crippling boredom when a player took an age to play his turn. Everyone who played had enjoyable games, it boggles my mind as to why people insist on 2k games, especially when the game is much funner at smaller points levels.

Don't get me wrong, I like bigger games.... its just in comparison (and unless your looking for that type of big game) smaller games are much more fun, shorter and just easier in every way.

As a side note, I ran my Dark Eldar for the first time this edition... they are loving OP :discourse:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

this. tho if i paid fifty quid to lose because i wasnt good enough to win a roll off at the beginning of the game id prolly be defending comp play too.

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 20, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So because of the way the basic targeting and model removal rules work, if one genestealer of a unit of 20 is within 6" of a venomthrope, the "whole" unit is -1 to hit, correct?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I honestly disagree that competitive 40k is bad. The tournament scene had grown a ton since 8th released so clearly people are enjoying themselves. The people in here that are into that scene are clearly just as into the hobby as I am, so really who’s to say they’re having fun the wrong way. It’s just not for me and accepting that fact has helped me improve my own enjoyment of the game.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

This a hundred times over.

The group and I decided to play a few 500 pts games, particularly to help ease in new players, but additionally to get in some quick games. It was brilliant.

I could not believe how fast each game was, the total change in game play and gone was the crippling boredom when a player took an age to play his turn. Everyone who played had enjoyable games, it boggles my mind as to why people insist on 2k games, especially when the game is much funner at smaller points levels.

Don't get me wrong, I like bigger games.... its just in comparison (and unless your looking for that type of big game) smaller games are much more fun, shorter and just easier in every way.

As a side note, I ran my Dark Eldar for the first time this edition... they are loving OP :discourse:

Because at 500 points my space marines can barely take a captain and a couple tactical squads, and I'd like to actually be able to use interesting units.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

So because of the way the basic targeting and model removal rules work, if one genestealer of a unit of 20 is within 6" of a venomthrope, the "whole" unit is -1 to hit, correct?

It depends, does the venomthrope rule say "models within 6"" or "Units within 6"" or "Units wholly within 6""? If it's the first, then no the unit is not -1 to hit, as you're shooting a unit not an individual model. If it's the second, then yes, as long as one model is within 6" the unit is -1 to hit. If it's the third, then yes, as long as every single model is within 6", otherwise no.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

Because at 500 points my space marines can barely take a captain and a couple tactical squads, and I'd like to actually be able to use interesting units.

Then knock it up 1k or 1.5k. I am not saying go that low necessarily, but smaller games seem more fun.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, that specific rule is if a model in a unit is within 6", the whole unit gets it.

When you're running a long line of them horizontally up the board, yeah - you can confer the bonus to almost your entire Tyranid army. Yes, it is broken.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeast posted:

Yeah, that specific rule is if a model in a unit is within 6", the whole unit gets it.

When you're running a long line of them horizontally up the board, yeah - you can confer the bonus to almost your entire Tyranid army. Yes, it is broken.

Seems good. They are fuckin turds otherwise though, 30 point each piles of wet poop.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PaintVagrant posted:

Seems good. They are fuckin turds otherwise though, 30 point each piles of wet poop.

Yeah you're not buying them for anything other than the modifier.

As a guard player, -1 to hit is the single most game breaking thing I play against.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

I honestly disagree that competitive 40k is bad. The tournament scene had grown a ton since 8th released so clearly people are enjoying themselves. The people in here that are into that scene are clearly just as into the hobby as I am, so really who’s to say they’re having fun the wrong way. It’s just not for me and accepting that fact has helped me improve my own enjoyment of the game.

I agree. Competitive 40K isn't bad. If you go in with a competitive army and a competitive mindset then you'll likely have fun. As I said before one of my favorite games of all time was a competitive tournament game back in 3rd edition. I just don't have the time for it. It sucks that I had to accept that, but it's true. I could make the time by sacrificing other aspects of my life, but I value those more than keeping up with the meta and so I've come to embrace the casual side of 40K. That doesn't mean I'll stop using m'spreadhseet and discussing efficiencies, but I'll also focus on stuff that I like and think is cool. The top end of the 40K competitive community has been some of the nicest people I've met. Mike, Nick, Alex Fennel, it's been years but I still recall them all being decent guys.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I played a couple games last week against an IG tank list. Had a big LOS blocking rock in the middle keeping him from blowing up all my dudes, and after I got into melee with half his vehicles turn 2 he conceded. We agreed to another fight, I went to the bathroom and when I got back the big LOS blocking rock had mysteriously vanished, replaced with a crater. He did a lot better that second game!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Badablack posted:

I played a couple games last week against an IG tank list. Had a big LOS blocking rock in the middle keeping him from blowing up all my dudes, and after I got into melee with half his vehicles turn 2 he conceded. We agreed to another fight, I went to the bathroom and when I got back the big LOS blocking rock had mysteriously vanished, replaced with a crater. He did a lot better that second game!

Did he have Creed? The boulder might have actually been a deactivated shadowsword.

What do you guys think of using these heads for scouts (except the leader, who'd use the visor head)?
https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=759

Preferably painted white to play up the skull aspect.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Broodlord done, minus the base

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I actually kind of like the look of the base, the spackle texture gives it a neat "ancient alien ruins" look.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Broodlord done, minus the base

This thread doesn't deserve you, come play 30k

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

This thread doesn't deserve you, come play 30k

no Tyranids in 30k

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

no Tyranids in 30k

We'd be willing to make an exception

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

We'd be willing to make an exception

This is like trying to talk somebody into playing Warhammer Fantasy during The End Times.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So I'm writing up a quick 1k list for learning 8th and this is what I got. I don't really get lists in this edition so I'm just checking to see if I did this right (assume I'm taking free items/ boltguns grenades and such:

Lieutenant with power sword melta bomb 69 pts (heh)

Techmarine servo arm plasma cutter 64 pts

Ancient w banner and bolt pistol (relic banner) 63 pts

5 man tac squad w melta gun and 1 meltabomb on sergent ×2 87/174 pts

5 man tac squad + lascannon x2 90/180 pts

Las razorback x2 115/230 pts

Pred w auto cannon and heavy bolters 131 pts

5 assault marines w power fist 89 pts

1002 pts.

I'm not looking to rip anyone's face off, just want to confirm this is calculated correct and will allow me to contest some objectives. It seems light on bodies to me but I was struggling to find ways to bulk the list out while still feeling like I could pursue objectives.

Thought is I can use the assault marines and melta squads to hunt for objectives in the razorbacks, use the lascannons for anti tank and whittle down heavier elites/troops with the pred. Seems very light on anti infantry. Gives me command points to work with too since it's a battalion.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Back in 3rd edition I had a competitive IW army. The best game I ever had was in the Baltimore GT against a DA opponent that was equally competitive. It was a lot of intense rolling, maneuvering, and countering that went all the way to the last turn. I still remember that game.

Then the new Codex came out, Iron Warriors were poo poo, and they still are.

As someone who played Darks Angels in second and (briefly) third, I'm confused by the idea of a competitive DA list in that edition. Maybe that was prior to their codex? The 3rd ed DA codex was a mini codex which made added a small number of rules to the Space Marine codex. For Dark Angels, the changes were either objectively bad or a mixed bag.

The first special rule was no non-human allies. So no ratlings, ogryns. And also no assassins or inquisitors, even though those are human. Not a big deal, but a clear negative change from the vanilla codex.

The second special rule was "intractable". This is what absolutely killed the army. Roll a one before moving any Dark Angel unit which has an enemy unit within 24". On a 1 the Dark Angel unit loses its ability to move and assault. They can shoot, but get no bonus to shooting. They get stubborn for that turn (they'll need it since they're probably about to get shot to hell).

Stubborn made Dark Angles autopass morale checks (handy since they're standing still for absolutely no reason) but it comes at the expense of not being able to voluntarily fall back. That was a serious liability in 3rd edition. Stubborn was therefore a mixed bag. GW had different thoughts on the subject, apparently, since Death Wing Terminators cost 52 points each versus 42 for vanilla Space Marines, and the only difference between the two was the stubborn rule.

Ravenwing had a 6+ invulnerable save. Bikers only. This also made the bikers cost 45 points instead of 35 :psyduck:

In short, in 3rd Darks Angels were actually played as Space Marines painted green/white/black. Maybe that's what you played against?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

So I'm writing up a quick 1k list for learning 8th and this is what I got. I don't really get lists in this edition so I'm just checking to see if I did this right (assume I'm taking free items/ boltguns grenades and such:

Lieutenant with power sword melta bomb 69 pts (heh)

Techmarine servo arm plasma cutter 64 pts

Ancient w banner and bolt pistol (relic banner) 63 pts

5 man tac squad w melta gun and 1 meltabomb on sergent ×2 87/174 pts

5 man tac squad + lascannon x2 90/180 pts

Las razorback x2 115/230 pts

Pred w auto cannon and heavy bolters 131 pts

5 assault marines w power fist 89 pts

1002 pts.

I'm not looking to rip anyone's face off, just want to confirm this is calculated correct and will allow me to contest some objectives. It seems light on bodies to me but I was struggling to find ways to bulk the list out while still feeling like I could pursue objectives.

Thought is I can use the assault marines and melta squads to hunt for objectives in the razorbacks, use the lascannons for anti tank and whittle down heavier elites/troops with the pred. Seems very light on anti infantry. Gives me command points to work with too since it's a battalion.

How competitive did you want it to be, and is this models you already have? I can tell you right now that you're light on models.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

NovemberMike posted:

How competitive did you want it to be, and is this models you already have? I can tell you right now that you're light on models.

You may be misreading the list like I did at first, he has a total of 4x5 tac squads, plus the 5 assault marines. It's not too light on models, as far as marine lists go. It would probably be marginally better with scouts.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It seems light to me too, but it was hard even managing the 28 infantry I ended up with in 1k for marines. I have ~2k in marines in various states of doneness, but the models I bought were for 5th edition rules.

I'm mostly just looking to learn. I don't really know how I'd build up on bodies w/o leaving the codex, though. I have 10 sniper scouts that I could run as is or as bolter scouts (though I'd like to stay as close as possible to wysiwyg. As of now, the only discrepancy I have is the techmarine has an extra servo arm and flamer he wouldn't be equipped withon his model). I suppose I could drop the pred and add scouts/ a couple bodies to the assault squad. I feel like that would just let the opponent focus his anti tank on the razorbacks and drop them too quickly, though.

Is the ancient worth it in a 1k list? I could see dropping him.

VVV I am planning on modeling up some plasma gun marines, i have the parts available just prefered melta in previous editions. VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 20, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I missed the x2s, yeah.

I guess then my major comments would be that the melta stuff seems weird on slow units. There's already some Lascannons in the list so having extra good anti-tank isn't necessary at this point level and in general Plasma is better in this edition than melta unless you're focusing on ways to deliver. I don't really like the Razorbacks either but they're not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maneck posted:

As someone who played Darks Angels in second and (briefly) third, I'm confused by the idea of a competitive DA list in that edition. Maybe that was prior to their codex? The 3rd ed DA codex was a mini codex which made added a small number of rules to the Space Marine codex. For Dark Angels, the changes were either objectively bad or a mixed bag.

The first special rule was no non-human allies. So no ratlings, ogryns. And also no assassins or inquisitors, even though those are human. Not a big deal, but a clear negative change from the vanilla codex.

The second special rule was "intractable". This is what absolutely killed the army. Roll a one before moving any Dark Angel unit which has an enemy unit within 24". On a 1 the Dark Angel unit loses its ability to move and assault. They can shoot, but get no bonus to shooting. They get stubborn for that turn (they'll need it since they're probably about to get shot to hell).

Stubborn made Dark Angles autopass morale checks (handy since they're standing still for absolutely no reason) but it comes at the expense of not being able to voluntarily fall back. That was a serious liability in 3rd edition. Stubborn was therefore a mixed bag. GW had different thoughts on the subject, apparently, since Death Wing Terminators cost 52 points each versus 42 for vanilla Space Marines, and the only difference between the two was the stubborn rule.

Ravenwing had a 6+ invulnerable save. Bikers only. This also made the bikers cost 45 points instead of 35 :psyduck:

In short, in 3rd Darks Angels were actually played as Space Marines painted green/white/black. Maybe that's what you played against?

It's been nearly two decades so I genuinely don't remember. They were painted as Dark Angels, they had a ton of plasma, and the list was hard as nails. I wouldn't be surprised if it was run as a pure SM list if DA were that terrible.