Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

NinjaDebugger posted:

They -made- Indiana Jones with a group. It's called The Goonies. "You lose time" is almost always a valid consequence in a race.

If what they meant was "in a time-critical situation, it takes you an extra turn/tick/step/etc to resolve the check" then yeah, that can work. Losing time is a valid consequence - "the enemy moves forward on the tracker while you do not" is totally fine. Or in old school D&D where if it takes you an extra turn to do the thing, your torches burn down and your buffs run out and you're significantly closer to the next wandering monster check. It doesn't sound like that's what they mean though.

DalaranJ posted:

There is a situation where ‘Steve is caught on a root’ is a valid fail state. If the situation is time critical then ‘you or someone adjacent to you has to spend an additional action to correct the failure’, is a potentially interesting result.

One thing about losing time though, is that during combat in most TTRPGs "you do nothing this turn" (or worse, "you and another character do nothing this turn") is worse for you and for the group than "you are easier to hit this round" or even "you take some damage".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I really wish the puzzle-pieces from WHFRP3 had gotten more traction. They were a great way to present just this sort of thing.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

alg posted:

Cubicle 7 is finally previewing details of WFRP 4e. They've said it is close to 2e (which is excellent) but they've added some new features. So far what they have previewed hasn't included boxed sets with cards so it should be a marked improvement over 3e. It's also Old World before the end times :) Today they previewed the tests in 4e:

It's weird to me how the actual tabletop went all End Times and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth but everything else about the property is pre-end times.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sion posted:

It's weird to me how the actual tabletop went all End Times and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth but everything else about the property is pre-end times.

That's because there's very little that's interesting to do in the Warhammer World during its apocalypse, unless you simply want to murder a whole lot of skaven (cf. Vermintide).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sexpig by night posted:

OH I thought you were grumbling for making the game 'less deadly' or something. Yea, 100% agree there, partial success/fail rules are fine but that was a terribly dull example.
Oh lordy no. I'm a WFRP3 fan. That game understood that death should be a relief.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sion posted:

Age of Sigmar is basically a big wet fart of nothing interesting so this is hardly surprising.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kai Tave posted:

Age of Sigmar is basically a big wet fart of nothing interesting so this is hardly surprising.

If, in a few years, GW decides that Age of Sigmar never happened and some guys with halberds and amazing moustaches stopped the apocalypse instead, I won't be surprised.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

If what they meant was "in a time-critical situation, it takes you an extra turn/tick/step/etc to resolve the check" then yeah, that can work. Losing time is a valid consequence - "the enemy moves forward on the tracker while you do not" is totally fine. Or in old school D&D where if it takes you an extra turn to do the thing, your torches burn down and your buffs run out and you're significantly closer to the next wandering monster check. It doesn't sound like that's what they mean though.

It was in response to not seeing the comparison between group d&d play and Indiana Jones, but Indiana Jones with a group is just the goonies. The sequences in question are a race either way, so losing time is a valid consequence.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm following a Japanes gameshop on Twitter because for awhile they were posting some pretty great models from their Warhammer painting contest, but they keep posting stuff about this dogfighting game that looks cool and now I want to play it :(

https://twitter.com/higacchi_D2/status/997640350201085953

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

You haven't been paying attention, Age of Sigmar kinda owns now

Ratoslov posted:

If, in a few years, GW decides that Age of Sigmar never happened and some guys with halberds and amazing moustaches stopped the apocalypse instead, I won't be surprised.

They got Brian Blessed voicing Gotrek in a new Age of Sigmar audio drama

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, age of sigmar is getting a lot better and I like it for what it is but the old setting is still much richer and ripe for adventuring.

That might change if the new edition fleshes things out enough to be more than just empty planescape.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I was an AoS hater for a long while but they're actually doin cool stuff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
axewraith with an entire gallows strapped to their back owns holy poo poo

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah the models are alright, shame about the rest.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Every time I look at a modern games workshop model, all I can see are the breakage points.
How the hell would you transport any of these things?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It doesn't even have anything to do with the quality of the models, long-rear end nips Diane is 100% spot-on when they describe the setting as "empty Planescape." Unless that's drastically changed as well then it's a terminally boring setting that's basically endless battles between Chaos berserkers and Totally Not Space Marines We Swear and maybe some skaven in a world that's like a bunch of video game levels stitched together...over here's the poison swamp zone, over there's the fiery lava rock zone, there we have the desolate plains zone, etc.

I'm not going to try and pretend like the Warhammer Fantasy's Old World was ~high art~ but for being a pastiche of numbers-filed-off real countries with elves and dwarves it had infinitely more charm than AoS.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so what weird setting ideas are people in this thread working on, currently I'm fiddling with a fantasy setting that takes inspiration from this chain of Tumblr posts;

https://tyrantisterror.tumblr.com/post/173238415544/bugcthulhu-crabdominalpain
https://tyrantisterror.tumblr.com/post/173243500934/iamthekaijuking-okay-that-meme-where-everyone
https://tyrantisterror.tumblr.com/post/173245726374/the-blonde-goblin-an-evolved-dinosaur

I'd go into more details about it but I really need to go to bed, so maybe I'll elaborate further tomorrow(well technically later today since it's just after midnight where I am)

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Kai Tave posted:

It doesn't even have anything to do with the quality of the models, long-rear end nips Diane is 100% spot-on when they describe the setting as "empty Planescape." Unless that's drastically changed as well then it's a terminally boring setting that's basically endless battles between Chaos berserkers and Totally Not Space Marines We Swear and maybe some skaven in a world that's like a bunch of video game levels stitched together...over here's the poison swamp zone, over there's the fiery lava rock zone, there we have the desolate plains zone, etc.

I'm not going to try and pretend like the Warhammer Fantasy's Old World was ~high art~ but for being a pastiche of numbers-filed-off real countries with elves and dwarves it had infinitely more charm than AoS.

There's been a lot of world building done in the last couple of years, and the setting has come on leaps and bounds. The novels in particular have really begun fleshing everything out. Plus the new edition is having a focus on mapping out the setting properly (including actual maps) so I there's a lot of scope.

Basically the more that they embrace AoS as Heavy Metal Band Tour Van Artwork the Wargame the better it is. It's gone from boring fantasy space marines punching blood bloods from Bloodsville to steampunk dwarves, fish elves that bring the sea with them and, as above, wraiths with entire gallows strapped to their backs. It's increasingly :krad:

Grey Hunter posted:

Every time I look at a modern games workshop model, all I can see are the breakage points.
How the hell would you transport any of these things?

Not going to lie and say there are no problems (my yncarne basically needs reassembly upon arrival every time) but mostly it's better than you'd expect. New GW stuff is light plastic with a good amount of flex, and most of it is hollow. Pop a weight in the base and most of this stuff is absolutely fine. Also, magnetic sheet cases are cool and good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/larplover69/status/997253502652092416

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That's an annoyingly large number of games, really. Especially oWoD Mage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

So...13th Age's background system?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

so D&D Wizards

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This is my necromancer in gradenko's 3.5 game right now, I took literally every feat that lets you replace a stat with Int. I use Int for hp, reflex saves, will saves, spell stuff, and through knowledge devotion I kind of use it for attack and damage too. It's pretty sweet, not gonna lie.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Aspects in Fate.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

LatwPIAT posted:

Aspects in Fate.

Approaches in FATE Accelerated, or "If it can't be done with Flashy, why do it at all?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Enough! Society's demand for overspecialization has killed the classical Renaissance/Antiquity philosopher! I refuse it and will become a classical sage who dabbles in all matters instead of one

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Approaches in FATE Accelerated, or "If it can't be done with Flashy, why do it at all?"

This bugs me about how people run FAE. The reason not to use flashy is if you don't want everyone in the village watching and applauding. I know you were joking, but it does get under my skin. Gotta emphasise that doing it with Flashy is flashy.

(typo invented 'fleshy' as an approach, which is a FAE varient I want nothing to do with)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

lofi posted:

The reason not to use flashy is if you don't want everyone in the village watching and applauding.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"If it can't be done with Flashy, why do it at all?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

drrockso20 posted:

so what weird setting ideas are people in this thread working on, currently I'm fiddling with a fantasy setting that takes inspiration from this chain of Tumblr posts;

1. A Dying Earth style fantasy loosely based on Clark Ashton-Smith's Hyperborea and Zothique.

2. A setting where dungeoncrawling is the national sport and so popular that it takes the place of forever war in the Middle East.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So it's that time of year, you've been practicing and practicing and practicing, and figure sure, why not spend a weekend playing a game you enjoy against other people. Maybe you'll make some new friends, or at least see some really cool armies and get a story for the people at the FLGS?

You pay your £50 in advance and make sure your army is all organised, things are what they seem to be and your list is as good as you can hone it.

Then you rock up on the day to the Olympic stadium in London, what a treat! Oh but you can't bring in outside food, that's annoying but oh well, pretty standard.

You line up for a while to see what table you're on and there it is. So you wander down, past some fantastically thematic pieces.

And you think, wow! I can't wait to see what I get to play on.

But it's this.

But hey, it happens. It's a big event, 400 players, not every table is going to be amazing. So you look around a little and nope, not just one table. It's a fuckload.

What a loving disaster.

Images taken from; https://www.facebook.com/LondonGrandTournament/posts/1882266568490776

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

https://twitter.com/rampantgrowth/status/997937923638018048

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I really don't get what they were trying to get at with Age of Sigmar besides sticking their Space Marines boner where it doesn't belong and wanting to marginalise everything that isn't 40k, but I suppose GW is stubborn enough to stick with it even when no one asked for it and apparently the AoS starter kits bombed hard. I'm not sure how much of this 'No, it's actually getting good!' is Stockholm Syndrome.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really don't get what they were trying to get at with Age of Sigmar besides sticking their Space Marines boner where it doesn't belong and wanting to marginalise everything that isn't 40k, but I suppose GW is stubborn enough to stick with it even when no one asked for it and apparently the AoS starter kits bombed hard. I'm not sure how much of this 'No, it's actually getting good!' is Stockholm Syndrome.

I think GW like making money, and AoS makes a butt ton of money.

AoS sales have been very strong.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Things have changed in three years. The current starter set has this guy in it

and they've introduced cool new armies, like the ghosts and the fish elves

I don't actually play the game, so I can't speak to it's quality as a game. But the models are cool, they're improving the fluff, and it's significantly more popular than Warhammer Fantasy was. it's not the same as it was at launch, when eveybody thought that fuckin' Mantic was gonna take over and be the big new miniatures company. lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...huh. Sea elves actually look kinda my jam, though I'm going to give it a bit. Burning your whole setting to the ground to make copyrights easier to enforce doesn't actually encourage personal (and extremely literal) investment.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

One word: Cavemanpunk.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Cassa posted:

So it's that time of year, you've been practicing and practicing and practicing, and figure sure, why not spend a weekend playing a game you enjoy against other people. Maybe you'll make some new friends, or at least see some really cool armies and get a story for the people at the FLGS?

You pay your £50 in advance and make sure your army is all organised, things are what they seem to be and your list is as good as you can hone it.

Then you rock up on the day to the Olympic stadium in London, what a treat! Oh but you can't bring in outside food, that's annoying but oh well, pretty standard.

You line up for a while to see what table you're on and there it is. So you wander down, past some fantastically thematic pieces.

And you think, wow! I can't wait to see what I get to play on.

But it's this.

But hey, it happens. It's a big event, 400 players, not every table is going to be amazing. So you look around a little and nope, not just one table. It's a fuckload.

What a loving disaster.

Images taken from; https://www.facebook.com/LondonGrandTournament/posts/1882266568490776

There is nothing about this that's worth £50 gently caress that get a refund.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plutonis posted:

One word: Cavemanpunk.

Flinstones did it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

drrockso20 posted:

Currently working on a couple, both Urban fantasy style, sort of.

The Replacement City, where a few years back, an enormous sprawling fantasy city in the vein of Lankhmar/Sanctuary and so forth replaces a city on Earth, with the added twist that magic still works within a certain radius of the place. Deliberately avoiding Tolkien-esque non-humans; instead the non-humans are all basically the sort of things you'd fight in a two-fisted pulp barbarian story. Living skeletons, man-bat style 'vampires' (They're actually fructivores.), Lizard/snake people who follow a god that resembles a T-rex and are under a religious directive to hug everything that he can't because his arms are too short, Dashing romantic fishmen, and intelligent giant spiders who are the city's artists and well known party hosts.

Splendour Falls aka The Curie Effect, magic comes back to earth in 1899 thanks to Marie Curie getting a sample of Fairy gold in one of her pitchblende ores and somehow triggering a chain reaction that neuters the effect of Iron on magic all over the earth. (Maybe don't hold seances in the lab when in the presence of a magic metal that tries to shape itself to be what the person working on it needs.)
The old fae courts return, long interrupted spells start working again, and various forgotten kingdoms and sunken lands started rising again. Some 50 years later, there's been two world wars, (The first world war was fought over possession Atlantis and is called the Big A, the 2nd was called "The Three Caesars War" due to it being Frederick Barbarossa, Koschei the Deathless, and Hirohito trying to split the world between them. So not exactly -our- two world wars.) so many fae have moved to Hollywood to try and make it big in showbiz that there's a neighborhood called "The Hollywood Underhills" and the lost fae court of Air and Darkness has started buzzing human planes in flying saucers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't actually play the game

lol

Also those minis look like an absolute fuckin nightmare to transport.