Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah it’s one of them American R32 GTRs yoi freakin dumbass!!!

You know what I meant you fwiggin jackass!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Gigi Galli posted:

Niiice did you import or local?

I was bidding on them but kept losing so I found a local importer who sold it to me for less than I was bidding and losing in the auctions for. I had to take the paperwork that he got that's in Japanese and had a translation sheet to my local DMV to get plates, title and registration but it was easy as pie. I filled out a few lines on one regular DMV form, they stamped everything, looked at the vin and gave me my plates and sent me on my way.

Fo3 posted:

Pretty sure he meant personally import from overseas themselves, or buy it from someone that already did the import work.

E: I'm amazed that they're still around for importing with the us 25yr rule, most had been snapped up and rode hard when other countries could get them 0 day like NZ or sooner like aus.

There are about a dozen or more that come up for sale every week in the auctions. Usually only one or two of them met my criteria of stock wheels, seats, steering wheel and KH2 Gun Metal Grey paint.

Cage posted:

Yo that's a sweet car but I don't get why it makes you want to suck a dick?

Same, though. Bring me all the peeners.

Heh I was more going for that I was gonna pop my top but that works too.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

dunno why you'd take your shirt off 'cuz of a car

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!

PenisMonkey posted:

gently caress the rules, man.

Is it wrong to like how this looks? I'm conflicted as I dislike similar vehicles but for some reason really like this one.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I do not like the way it looks but I also still parked it in a BMW only zone.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
At least you parked the ugliest non-BMW you could find. Although, parking a 5GT there might be a subtle burn.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uggage-fee.html

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

https://me.me/t/anal-amy

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

chrisgt posted:

Americans are afraid of manual transmissions. All we ever got were 4 speeds with the n/a diesels, importing a 5 speed and all supporting parts costs thousands so eh, auto it is.

I hear you. I decided on getting an e34 and just went with the car for sale with the best bodywork. I didn't care if auto because I thought it would be easy to change from a parts perspective. I've done it before because the first car I ever bought was a mazda rx3 auto and I changed that to manual no problems.
drat it, changing a 525 m50 to manual is really hard, every e34 manual seems to be a earlier 2.5l (m20) or a m30 3.5l. Its seems due to aussie sticker price (80-100k) and the fact that the ZF 5spd auto was available, every m50 buyer opted for auto.
Also nowhere near as easy to mix and match because of the germans. getrag and zf build boxes with integral bellhousings. Motherfuck! I was used to the way the Japanese build, I could put a celica box in a mazda rotary by just changing the bellhousing. Here I am in the land of the holden commodore using the same getrag box as bmw yet the holden commodore boxes are useless! As is any m20 or m30 bmw family gearboxes. Seriously considering a japanese engine and box swap now (I'd shove a barra in it if I could), because the whole situation annoys me. I've got to the point where I can't ignore possible disappearing check valve balls and other weird stuff old autos do, servicing it could open a whole can of worms, but something needs to be done just to keep it alive for now I guess. After about 1 yr ownership I didn't expect to still have the auto (and why I have been raggin' on autos all over the forum, it's pissing me off).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 19, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fresh off the boat, needs a wash but otherwise it needs absolutely nothing at all, oil was even changed not 20km ago. And those 20kms were driving to the port, in the ship, off the boat and onto the truck to my house. Timing belt was done 15km ago and dang, it's just perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh Mylanta.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

How the crap is that so clean despite having driven 140k miles? It’s not like Japan has an inland desert where things aren’t exposed to humidity.

WTF, HOW.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

New tires best tires.

E: I already mowed the lawn shut up.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 20, 2018

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Fuckin

Rad

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

glyph posted:

How the crap is that so clean despite having driven 140k miles? It’s not like Japan has an inland desert where things aren’t exposed to humidity.

WTF, HOW.

No idea! The other two Toyotas I imported are also spotless.

1991 Prado with 193813 kms (120500 miles)

1991 Land Cruiser with 282000 kms (175000 miles)

I think, and I might be wrong here, that Japan is magic.

People were ribbing me about changing the leaf spring bushings in the 91 Cruiser because I mentioned I was going to spend a day on it. Everyone was all like 'ho ho ho more like DAYS am I rite?' and then I went and did it in 7 hours :smuggo:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

KakerMix posted:

No idea! The other two Toyotas I imported are also spotless.

1991 Prado with 193813 kms (120500 miles)

1991 Land Cruiser with 282000 kms (175000 miles)

People were ribbing me about changing the leaf spring bushings in the 91 Cruiser because I mentioned I was going to spend a day on it. Everyone was all like 'ho ho ho more like DAYS am I rite?' and then I went and did it in 7 hours :smuggo:

I have a 2008 f250 currently sitting at 3800 miles that I bought in December with 1800 Miles. Yes, eighteen HUNDRED miles. It’s never not been in a garage and it has surface rust on the suspension parts that puts those to shame.

It hadn’t occurred to me earlier, but do you realign the headlamps to the right shoulder instead of in the eyes of oncoming traffic?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
That thing is pretty sweet.
But, we have to know what the fish stickers are.
And the big question, why are there two door interior door handles on the passenger side? Drivers side has one, passenger has two. What does the second one do?

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Poisonlizard posted:

And the big question, why are there two door interior door handles on the passenger side? Drivers side has one, passenger has two. What does the second one do?

So rear-seat passengers can reach?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Danthrax posted:

Burn the witch!

The other day I sold my champagne FXT to a friend. It was a car I got in trade for another project I had so I was always going to flip it to continue feeding my project habit.

I picked this up very locally to fill the gap and keep my hands busy. 2003 R53 MINI Cooper S. Previous owner replaced heater core with complete coolant flush, oil change, crankshaft sensor o ring, oil dipstick o ring, intake/super charger gasket, pulley drive belt, spark plugs, alternator, water pump o rings, and a handful of other odds and ends. The car is stock (and WAY too quiet for my tastes) so of course I ordered a few basic Mini go-fast bits like exhaust, intake, and supercharger pulley kit with new plugs. I also scored a deal ($200 shipped) on four new Toyo tires to replace the runflats that are aging and horrible. Might do a sway bar in the future as well. There was a cheaper one two hours away that was red but I was really putting my eggs into the fresh basket because I’ve had horrible luck with red vehicles in the past so I’m glad this one worked out. The guy I bought it from even had the car stored in the same village I live in which is crazy since there are only about 100 people here.

Here is it in the driveway, with the Foresters. The champagne one is leaving today. You can see how small and squat it really is

Bonus pic: you can fit several hundred pounds of animal feed in a MINI with no problem.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 20, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Yo execudick whatever happened to The Skull?

Still in Tarrandus, my Ranger. I had it tied to my GPS suction-cup-stalk but the Cursed Skull tore out the twist-tie a few years ago so it sits on the dirty carpet near the gearshift these days.

When I took it to the Arctic a few years ago to bury it in the permafrost at the end of the world, the sweet whispers in my head promised endless delights if I brought it back instead.

Delights have not been endless.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

requesting topless pics :q:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

KakerMix posted:

It's got to be. My Skyline didn't have an ounce of rust on it. Even the 26 year old AC still blows cold. The car had winter tires on it when it came over and there was no rust. You would never see that in the US.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

NumbersMatching320 posted:

You've got to remove the top at least one time. For science.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The real regret is when you decide to put the top back on.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hell Kaker, take my five. I have no need for it ever again. This is straight up inspiring and because of your thread I will one day buy an old car from the land of the rising sun. :japan:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Not bad for 185k miles if I do say so myself. 7 years now with this utter joy of a car. Still almost flawless other than a few rattles! Preventative maintenance + random orbital polisher FTW, bitch!!!

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 21, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

this owns and I hate u

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Loanarn posted:

It's got to be. My Skyline didn't have an ounce of rust on it. Even the 26 year old AC still blows cold. The car had winter tires on it when it came over and there was no rust. You would never see that in the US.

That’s not typical though - you see some utter basket cases which fail compliance at the border on rust.

Even my 2002 Skyline (which was only like 5 years old at the time it was imported) had a bunch of underbody rust and a half rotten exhaust (it had the winter pack though so it was probably from somewhere with lots of snow).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Not bad for 185k miles if I do say so myself. 7 years now with this utter joy of a car. Still almost flawless other than a few rattles! Preventative maintenance + random orbital polisher FTW, bitch!!!

drat this is clean as hell for almost 200k. Did you do anything with the rock chips first?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Dagen H posted:

Well that and to make sure the hardware isn't seized, cause if he sells this one anyone who buys it isn't going to want the pain of breaking/replacing them (although they're just M8 bolts in U-nuts iirc)
And also topless pics will help sell, since a lot of people don't know those tops come off (a friend had one in the early 00s and was more than once approached by other 1g runner owners asking where he'd had the "custom work" done)

And you won't know the true joy of a Surf without a drive with the roof off.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Posting to get to a new page, 50MB of full size images keeps crashing my phone.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

*didn't mean to do it twice though*

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

glyph posted:

Posting to get to a new page, 50MB of full size images keeps crashing my phone.

I hear you but that post was so long that I think you're underestimating how many more posts we have to go before a new page starts.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

drat this is clean as hell for almost 200k. Did you do anything with the rock chips first?

There's plenty of chips on the hood but all very small and really arent noticible unless youre right up on it.

I had the bumper replaced after a slight fender bender about 40k ago so that's in better shape. I've repainted the lower black mesh on the bumper a few times.

I hit the pay-n-spray at least once a week at the very least. :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm back in Club Hot Hatch after a 4 year hiatus.

FoST prices were too low to pass up, and wife and I are putting too many miles in the Almost Free Civic that we're upkeeping for someone overseas.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yes, I also love this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Poisonlizard posted:

That thing is pretty sweet.
But, we have to know what the fish stickers are.

Fish sticker is/was a 3~ hour radio show in Japan. I took off the right side one and it is still in one piece, so we've set it aside with all the other previous owner stuff we've found. The left side one has been left on. I posted about this in the Japan import thread but we're pretty certain it was previously owned by an older woman based on everything we are finding. Think hair ties and clips, old lady candy, lots of change, old Pure-Moods-esque late 80s mix tapes.

Danthrax posted:

It's this.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Goober Peas posted:

The real regret is when you decide to put the top back on.

Dagen H posted:

Will end up doing this but probably not till after summer. The thing is useless down here in Florida once summer rolls around if the top is off. It's going to be 100% sunny with 100% humidity because it is going to rain at 2pm every day all season. My wife and I are super lazy about her Tracker and that's a top that can come off and on in minutes. So, yeah I will def, but not any time soon probably.

Loanarn posted:

Today I found out the AC in the Surf works just fine even though the sheet said it didn't. To be fair to the actual-inspector I had sent out, he thought it might be working but it was super cold that day so he couldn't tell :v:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hell Kaker, take my five. I have no need for it ever again. This is straight up inspiring and because of your thread I will one day buy an old car from the land of the rising sun. :japan:

:getin:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

KakerMix posted:

Today I found out the AC in the Surf works just fine even though the sheet said it didn't. To be fair to the actual-inspector I had sent out, he thought it might be working but it was super cold that day so he couldn't tell :v:

My imported said the GTR was blowing warm too. I realized a few times of driving it that you can set the auto climate control in the GTR to a number but it doesn't force the AC to turn on until you hit the AC button so it can trick you into blowing warm. The AC button doesn't light up when activated either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
My hot hatches somehow merged into a camaro.

+

=