Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Given that pretty much everything that has happened to Squad 13 to push them into an antagonistic posture to the way APE has built society has been due to the accidental or intentional machinations of Dr. Franxx, I struggle to think of how he'd be an antagonist figure to the squad. They might end up want to kill him for his part in what was done to them, but I can't see him doing the Dr. Wily eyebrow wiggle as he flies off to his Doom Fortress and Squad 13 has to fight through his robot masters to kill him.

I definitely don't see him surviving the end of the show, though my bet would be him dying to help destroy APE as atonement for what he's done.

I’m sort of thinking that he might be operating on a higher, more complex level than APE. So everything they’re doing is actually going to benefit him, not them, and Squad 13 are his weapon to clean up the mess once they figure out what’s going on. Except it doesn’t work out that way, Squad 13 end up throwing in with the jotnar (klaxosaurs), and he gets murdered. I’m thinking this is possible because the show’s been going for some surprisingly deep cuts - who would have expected an anime where the hero is Sigyn, his girlfriend is Loki, and the defining moment of their lives is when he tries and fails to stop her being tied down and tortured by Odin? Plus, it’s another, obvious layer to how the kids are starting to talk about how they’re moving on from their FranXXes - he’s another flawed step, not the end of their journey.

In Norse mythology, Odin saw Ragnarok coming, and made thousands of contingency plans for it, but still got eaten anyway - by one of the children of Loki, no less. In this show, I’d expect it to be a grudge match between him and Zero One (especially if they both turn out to be Zero Two’s parents) that ends in a mutual kill, clearing the way for Squad 13 to duke it out with the Nines.

Mokinokaro posted:

Given what we know now I wonder if Franxx's cyborg parts weren't due to an injury but as a way to "improve" him.

Again, see Odin, who mutilated himself in pursuit of wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m sort of thinking that he might be operating on a higher, more complex level than APE. So everything they’re doing is actually going to benefit him, not them, and Squad 13 are his weapon to clean up the mess once they figure out what’s going on. Except it doesn’t work out that way, Squad 13 end up throwing in with the jotnar (klaxosaurs), and he gets murdered. I’m thinking this is possible because the show’s been going for some surprisingly deep cuts - who would have expected an anime where the hero is Sigyn, his girlfriend is Loki, and the defining moment of their lives is when he tries and fails to stop her being tied down and tortured by Odin? Plus, it’s another, obvious layer to how the kids are starting to talk about how they’re moving on from their FranXXes - he’s another flawed step, not the end of their journey.

In Norse mythology, Odin saw Ragnarok coming, and made thousands of contingency plans for it, but still got eaten anyway - by one of the children of Loki, no less. In this show, I’d expect it to be a grudge match between him and Zero One (especially if they both turn out to be Zero Two’s parents) that ends in a mutual kill, clearing the way for Squad 13 to duke it out with the Nines.

This is a very interesting read and it's something that I hadn't really been thinking about; it's pretty common for anime to take mythological themes and sprinkle them in without going all the way, so I hadn't considered this.

APE, Dr. Franxx, and Zero One, as presented so far, each represent different pathways for humanity to tread that are all mutually exclusive to each other and thus in conflict. APE is obviously representing the pathway to technological singularity, Zero One is representing transhumanism/evolution(assuming that the klaxxosaurs represent a divergent branch of humanity that continued "evolving" somehow, which seems supported by the weird pilot-core thing they saw and Zero One's comment about APE being "wannabe humans"), and Franxx seems to represent the continuation or revival of humanity as we know it today, given the way he constructed the Franxxes and how he has been constantly manipulating events to allow Squad 13 to develop the way they have.

Under this interpretation, Franxx seems to be trying to have his cake and eat it too; he pretends to be an ally to APE to use their vast resources and influence to construct war machines to battle Zero One while simultaneously constructing those war machines in a way that pushes back against APE's goals. Now that the endgame is approaching he has been manipulating events so that those war machines can be turned against APE to clear the board and leave Franxx's view as the last one standing. This is the "Odin makes thousands of contingency plans" part.

If the end thrust of the show is going to be the kids breaking free of their destinies being manipulated, pretty much the only way that can happen is if all three of these factions(APE, Franxx, Zero One) are either destroyed or somehow removed from the board. The proverbial Ragnarok.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 20, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/KeikakuKat/status/997991300434743298?s=19

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"This whole thing smacks of gender" sums up a lot of this show, really.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Did anyone else notice that the music when HiroTwo are frolicking among the sakura has the same melody as the song from their childhood? Franxx's scoring is on point.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Especially noticeable with the flashback

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
So I'm on episode 2, and I'm catching onto the fact that this series is basically Mech hentai right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

So I'm on episode 2, and I'm catching onto the fact that this series is basically Mech hentai right?

Early on, yes.

As it goes, that kind of goes less into focus.

Last episode, that meant actual, plain old sex with no robots involved. And this episode, there was a wedding!

It didn't go off quite as the participants were hoping.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Toalpaz posted:

Its a trick to lure you in

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Toalpaz posted:

What are you even doing posting here? Come back when you're at least past episode 16!!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I heard some mix reviews but I love Trigger/Gainax as a whole typically and I love this anime too. The intro and outro are catchy and lovely. I enjoy the tone and pacing. I also can't get over Ichigo's pining for 016/Hiro(? Sic) and 002's relationship with 016. The cast has very interesting, cute, and weird dynamics with each other compared to most anime relationships. Will report back after I catch up.

I know this may be frowned upon but I love the english dub of 002 and her delivery of 'My Darling'

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 20, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

...There's an English dub?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

funimation has it simuldubbed(?) on their service.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

funimation has it simuldubbed(?) on their service.

It's a couple weeks behind.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Just had a quick listen of it:

Hiro sounds way older
Zero Tsu sounds way hornier and less cute
Everyone else sounds pretty alright though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

I heard some mix reviews but I love Trigger/Gainax as a whole typically and I love this anime too. The intro and outro are catchy and lovely. I enjoy the tone and pacing. I also can't get over Ichigo's pining for 016/Hiro(? Sic) and 002's relationship with 016. The cast has very interesting, cute, and weird dynamics with each other compared to most anime relationships. Will report back after I catch up.

I know this may be frowned upon but I love the english dub of 002 and her delivery of 'My Darling'

The writing is all A-1 btw. The animation is Trigger's though. Idk why this keeps escaping people.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xelkelvos posted:

The writing is all A-1 btw. The animation is Trigger's though. Idk why this keeps escaping people.

A lot of the animation is A-1 too. Really it's better to say it's A-1's baby in general with some assistance from Trigger

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Allarion posted:

A lot of the animation is A-1 too. Really it's better to say it's A-1's baby in general with some assistance from Trigger

It's Atsushi Nishigori's baby. If I remember right, this is something he's been wanting to do for a long time. Trigger and A-1 being involved is basically him calling all his old buddies for favors.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

The thread title is a riff on a recent Trigger anime catchphrase and the thread has a poll about your favorite Trigger anime. It's an extremely common misconception.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kanos posted:

The thread title is a riff on a recent Trigger anime catchphrase and the thread has a poll about your favorite Trigger anime. It's an extremely common misconception.

yeah, my bad

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
owned

I think the Trigger association/misconception more than anything made it so this show could reach more people, and that's fine

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Trigger does a lot of side gigs I hear. Fake anime PVs for gacha games for instance. Second string on somebody else's project isn't unlike them.

They aren't the original work juggernaut that their progenitor was.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 21, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eela6 posted:

yeah, my bad

It's not really something to apologize for or a bad thing, because:

HoneyBoy posted:

I think the Trigger association/misconception more than anything made it so this show could reach more people, and that's fine

I'm almost positive that this is true. Enough people have watched stuff like LWA and Kill La Kill and liked them that the "Franxx is a Trigger joint!" misconception has almost definitely been a net positive for the show's viewership.

The show also has enough of Trigger's stylistic touches that it would be pretty easy for someone to think it actually is a full Trigger joint.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Worked for me!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Trigger does a lot of side gigs I hear. Fake anime PVs for gacha games for instance. Second string on somebody else's project isn't unlike them.

They aren't the original work juggernaut that their progenitor was.

Let's not undersell here.

Trigger's just seven years old, and they've had four original TV series. In this day and age, that's pretty unusual for a small studio.

Sure, they're not prime Gainax, but... Gainax isn't Gainax anymore. Hasn't been for a long time.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 21, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HoneyBoy posted:

Definitely. I only got to it because "hey, Trigger anime", I'm not sure if I would've watched it otherwise (maybe in the future, once it appears in a Super Robot Wars). And I'm definitely enjoying (and suffering) it, so I'm glad it had that Trigger association even if ultimately Trigger has far less to do with the series than what people may think.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Only just now realized that the APE people all look like apes. I'm extremely good at watching extremely subtle animes.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I caught up and I really enjoy this show. As a sjw, people complaining about certain things are way off base and the show is basically okay. As an anime it feels like it has stakes and I'm invested in the story. I think becoming emotionally invested is the biggest hurdle for me to enjoy most shows so it's great that DiTF has done so.

Yeah the APE people kinda look like apes. I feel like I missed what APE stands for though?

Really ready for some comeuppance at the moment, can't wait for next week.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I don't think you need the credentials of being sjw to determine sending death threats to the writers/VAs is way off base.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Toalpaz posted:

Yeah the APE people kinda look like apes. I feel like I missed what APE stands for though?

I don't think it's been said anywhere yet. It probably means something seeing how it's constantly written in all caps but I can't even begin to imagine what. That said, that'll likely be shown alongside their full plans, which can't be too far since 1) the series is almost over and 2) we finally have some knowledge of said plans thanks to this episode.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

For some reason, I keep thinking that APE and the "current" humanity as we see them in their mobile living environments aren't humans. Instead, they're something else and the Klaxosaurs are the true "descendants of humanity".

Or something like that. I have no evidence for this. Except maybe when that one woman had to use the "pet setting" to heal that one kid. APE and so forth are using humans for their purposes, but they're actually some kind of weird aliens or mutants.

It is strange their faces are always covered. In fact, most adults are face-covered.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Dan7el posted:

For some reason, I keep thinking that APE and the "current" humanity as we see them in their mobile living environments aren't humans. Instead, they're something else and the Klaxosaurs are the true "descendants of humanity".

Or something like that. I have no evidence for this. Except maybe when that one woman had to use the "pet setting" to heal that one kid. APE and so forth are using humans for their purposes, but they're actually some kind of weird aliens or mutants.

It is strange their faces are always covered. In fact, most adults are face-covered.

I mean there was a whole thing in episode 17 where at least one of APE's council couldn't hear the princess's telepathy because he literally had no brain, as neatly demonstrated when she knocked off his mask to reveal nothing but empty space beneath. Then she called them 'human wannabes' just to ram the point home. At least a subset of the council either was never human or is so deep into transhumanist bullshit as to make no difference. Incidentally, that line is strongly suggestive that the klaxos are or at least consider themselves to be the descendants of humanity, as you suggest.

Episode 18 featured a council member speaking of 'APE and humanity' living eternally, which is again pretty suggestive APE are different in kind from humanity. That conversation also demonstrated the divisions on the council between the probable humans and the senior members who promise to free them from 'the shackle of their bodies'.

Rather than aliens, my guess would be that some subset of APE are AI. It would explain their dedication to perfecting certain narrow kinds of human flourishing at the expense of the actual substance and meaning of human life. But in any case, yeah, they aren't anywhere near as human as the 'parasites'.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Artificial Persona Entities?

This is :krad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1psMjr4LSM8

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

AnacondaHL posted:

I don't think you need the credentials of being sjw to determine sending death threats to the writers/VAs is way off base.

I think hes more referring to genderpolitics stuff, such as a particular anime journalist on twitter loudly calling franxx right-wing propaganda.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Technically a homegrown take.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think hes more referring to genderpolitics stuff, such as a particular anime journalist on twitter loudly calling franxx right-wing propaganda.

this actually happened?

what.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh it's kinda funny since the ANN episode reviews basically call it incredibly gross but then give it a good score anyway.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I hate to say it, but I've really lost my enthusiasm for this show. After the big flashback episode I felt like they were really going to push things forward and move the rest of the characters towards some kind of emotional development or arc, or at the very least finally move the big plot forward, but any sense of momentum has just totally stalled out and died. At this point, Miku & Futoshi are non-characters, Goro has barely had anything to do in a dozen episodes, and I can't be damned to give a rat's rear end about Dr. FranXX or anyone at APE. It doesn't help that this show is almost completely devoid of mecha action. At this point I doubt they can pull it all together towards a satisfying conclusion. I'm sure all of the puzzle pieces will fit together, but will they mean anything?

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 21, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, when you’re three-quarters of the way in and the main thing pushing back against the ‘everything bad is due to the death of traditional family roles’ interpretation is a subplot involving a secondary character that, frankly, still could go either way, I’m not going to lump a vast amount of blame on the folks who have given up on the show. It’d be neat if Ikuno ends up at the heart of a genuinely subversive twist in the story’s themes, but there’s been so much thematic push in the opposite direction by pretty much the entire rest of the show (and the writing has been so blunt and unsubtle) that it does rather seem like the less likely option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I feel like Futoshi's is in a position to do something now that Kokoro got mind-wiped, considering his arc has been begrudgingly accepting that Kokoro is not into him, and even acting as the priest for her wedding. Goro seems to be the one getting hit by the aging effects first though, so that's probably what his role will be since the triangle stuff is mostly tied up.

Shame about Miku though since she is still a non-character for the most part. If I had to guess, there's probably gonna be more Zorome stuff down the line and she would tie into that.

• Locked thread