Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Flagrama posted:

SciresM gave a target release date of June 15th, but it isn't guaranteed and in the end is "when it's done it's done"

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet it comes earlier than that with the Xecuter thing coming soon, Scires wants to cut into their profits as much as possible I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Im excited for how N64 emulation will go on the Switch, overclocking on the Wii U was good but this could make it great

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Flagrama posted:

SciresM gave a target release date of June 15th, but it isn't guaranteed and in the end is "when it's done it's done"

That’s the date that stuck out in my head but I couldn’t find it on his twitter or anything.

Sidebar, is there a jig that doesn’t suck that I can 3d print?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KKKLIP ART posted:

That’s the date that stuck out in my head but I couldn’t find it on his twitter or anything.

Sidebar, is there a jig that doesn’t suck that I can 3d print?

You need metal to short circuit two of the pins so even if you found a jig you'd have to manually thread it with a paper clip.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://github.com/fail0verflow/shofel2/blob/master/rcm-jig/README.md

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the devs ran Homebrew Manager on his normal Switch and the console got online banned (more details in the Twitter thread):

https://twitter.com/shinyquagsire/status/997934383855161344?s=21

I’m sure they’ll find a way around it happening in the future with CFW but Nintendo is really not loving around with hackers this time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Considering Nintendo is going to charge for online play pretty soon, I’m not surprised. I’ll stay away until something safer shows up.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I’m way more interested in a dual boot system than hacking the Switch’s default OS. Android would be ideal, but getting screen output through USB C and battery consumption down to a reasonable level seems kinda unlikely. We’ll probably see some kind of highly customized Linux variant geared towards emulation/Homebrew instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lelandjs posted:

Honestly I’m way more interested in a dual boot system than hacking the Switch’s default OS. Android would be ideal, but getting screen output through USB C and battery consumption down to a reasonable level seems kinda unlikely. We’ll probably see some kind of highly customized Linux variant geared towards emulation/Homebrew instead.

Yeah, that would own and would be much safer from bans right? Would be nice to boot into a separate OS just for emulators.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, that would own and would be much safer from bans right? Would be nice to boot into a separate OS just for emulators.

As long as it doesn't touch any of the internal storage of the Switch, it shouldn't be detectable. Unless there's some chip or something that calls home to Nintendo to snitch on you.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

What was the whole thing about the Switch only having a limited number of updates? I swear that was discussed a while back. Was that already worked around?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wamdoodle posted:

What was the whole thing about the Switch only having a limited number of updates? I swear that was discussed a while back. Was that already worked around?

Nintendo selects when to burn a fuse and it probably has a shitload. The 360's Xenon had like, 192 or something. The Switch appears to be at 6 burned as of 5.0.0.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man starting to mess with this Wii U I got from my buddy and boy is the UI goofy as poo poo. It feels like an updated Wii basically. But sometimes you are forced into just using the tablet. Some weird design choices. Also completely hilarious that you can just download straight from the Nintendo servers.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

E2M2 posted:

Man starting to mess with this Wii U I got from my buddy and boy is the UI goofy as poo poo. It feels like an updated Wii basically. But sometimes you are forced into just using the tablet. Some weird design choices. Also completely hilarious that you can just download straight from the Nintendo servers.

The menu music is the worst too

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

African AIDS cum posted:

The menu music is the worst too
Did you try what I posted a few pages back about GCN games on Wii U?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nintendo selects when to burn a fuse and it probably has a shitload. The 360's Xenon had like, 192 or something. The Switch appears to be at 6 burned as of 5.0.0.

This article claims that the Switch has 32 fuses. Typically the fuses have only been blown on a “major” release (with the exception of 2.3) and Nintendo has control of when a fuse is blown (obviously) so it’s not like there’s any risk of running out of fuses.

There are some interesting things that came to my mind when learning about that, though. For instance, it could be possible for someone to write code that blows a couple fuses. When, say, the 6.0 upgrade comes, it would check for seven blown fuses, see that eight are blown instead, and refuse to install, effectively blocking the updates on a hardware level.

And though it’s EXTRAORDINARILY unlikely that they would go this route, if Nintendo decided that they wanted to force the majority of current Switch owners to trade in their current gen paperclip-hackable hardware for the upcoming revision they could use the fuses to do so.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 20, 2018

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
They're going to make it ignore the fuse check permanently

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Nonviolent J posted:

Did you try what I posted a few pages back about GCN games on Wii U?

Haven't got around to it yet but saved it, thanks.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonviolent J posted:

They're going to make it ignore the fuse check permanently

Is the fuse count actually something that could be bypassed/emulated in software?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

If anyone is looking for a Wii U, PM me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lelandjs posted:

Is the fuse count actually something that could be bypassed/emulated in software?

It would be software checking to see how many fuses are blown, so you could modify the software to either not check, or always return the number you want/need

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It would be software checking to see how many fuses are blown, so you could modify the software to either not check, or always return the number you want/need

True, I guess someone could write something that intercepts the update, modifies the code that does the check, and then let it run.

But like I said I highly doubt that Nintendo would do anything WRT the fuses to try and stop hacks. Now if Switch batteries started exploding like the Galaxy Note 8 did, that might be the time for something desperate like that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do the fuses do anything or are they just there so they can check a bunch of circuits as open or shorted?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are only there to serve as a physical record of what firmware the console can and cannot run, they server no electrical purpose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So it prevents what you used to have to do with the 3DS where you would downgrade to version 2 to do an exploit?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah, drat I forgot how uh... Involved the a9lh process was. Still can't believe they got that working on a N3DS. Minus the bit about how closing your n3ds console on 2.X would permanently brick the drat thing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

So it prevents what you used to have to do with the 3DS where you would downgrade to version 2 to do an exploit?

Yeah, firmwares are designed not to install/work if you have too many fuses blown, so generally once you upgraded a firmware you can’t roll back.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Is there a trick to getting CPS2 games to work in Wii RetroArch's FBA? Every time I try to run my Capcom games it just spits me out back into the menu. They run fine on all the other versions of RetroArch FBA I've tried. I see lots of guides on YouTube for Wii RetroArch and people running CPS2 games but all that stuff is in Spanish.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The guy who probably made an Xbox emulator you used is getting into Switch homebrew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU8sKsr6lO4

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Pretty certain the answer is no, but:
There isn't any Playstation 1 emulator for the Wii which can support use of the Wiimote as a lightgun, is there?
WiiSX and WiiSX-R both appear not to, but the documentation is so sparse and outdated I'm not certain...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

On that topic, how is PSX emulation on the Wii? is WiiSX worth it?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I realise the answer to this question has a lot of variables, but roughly how long before Nintendo have new switches with the hardware vulnerability fixed on shelves? I don’t have a switch but will definitely be getting one soon, just wondering if I should accelerate my plans so I have the easy eventual home brew potential

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Probably a good long while since it’s only been a month since the reveal. Probably at least 6 months I would imagine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I realise the answer to this question has a lot of variables, but roughly how long before Nintendo have new switches with the hardware vulnerability fixed on shelves? I don’t have a switch but will definitely be getting one soon, just wondering if I should accelerate my plans so I have the easy eventual home brew potential

Nvidia have to first fix the exploit, test it, make sure it doesn't cause any compatibility issues, then produce them, the Nintendo has to get them, make sure there aren't any issues with putting them in Switches, then produce new Switches with the new chips. It's going to be a while.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

The_White_Crane posted:

Pretty certain the answer is no, but:
There isn't any Playstation 1 emulator for the Wii which can support use of the Wiimote as a lightgun, is there?
WiiSX and WiiSX-R both appear not to, but the documentation is so sparse and outdated I'm not certain...

I wish, I've been hoping for ages so I can play Time Crisis without having to move the dot around the screen with the dpad :(
NES emulators let you use the Wiimote for Duck Hunt so it isn't impossible just not a priority

Lord Frisk posted:

On that topic, how is PSX emulation on the Wii? is WiiSX worth it?

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSXR

WiisxR has better compatibility but it still isn't great, best way for PSX emulation is on WiiU's vWii with overclocking

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably a good long while since it’s only been a month since the reveal. Probably at least 6 months I would imagine.
The vulnerability was disclosed to Nvidia last year and they've already produced one Tegra board variant with the vulnerability fixed. There's evidence of revised Switch hardware in firmware 5.0 which was released two months ago. So, it's quite possible that revised hardware could hit shelves in the next few months.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/Water_011209/status/1000050314630828033

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The splatoon ruining has begun

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What am I looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU