Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Len posted:

A friend of mine asked if someone has made a Saw style coop game where you guys are basically cooping through a booby trapped house to learn life lessons or whatever the gently caress the plot of that series was.

There's actually a bit of a dearth of co-op horror games.

One that I'd really enjoy is one where the players are only allowed to communicate via radio when they get separated, but the game fucks with it by adding static or distortion, changing the volume, cutting it off entirely, or making scary noises play from the radio that the other person can't hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Friday the 13th did a great job with radios, in that if you have one, your voice chat can be heard by other dudes with radios as well as the people around you. I once coordinated a boat escape since a guy with a radio had the fuel, and the guy with the propeller was with me. It's also fun because I've played several games where you hear something along the lines of "Head north along the shore, we've got OH gently caress" followed by deathly silence for the rest of the round.

I'm so drat excited for the engine update :murder:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
We Were Here and We Were Here Too are co-op games where two partners are separated and must work together to get one through a series of deadly puzzles. They aren't particularly horrifying, but they are quite fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

chitoryu12 posted:

There's actually a bit of a dearth of co-op horror games.

One that I'd really enjoy is one where the players are only allowed to communicate via radio when they get separated, but the game fucks with it by adding static or distortion, changing the volume, cutting it off entirely, or making scary noises play from the radio that the other person can't hear.

Ive never used the in game chat but apparently l4d2 does that on the map with the storm. When the storm picks up it fuzzes all the talking so you cant hear or see

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

catlord posted:

FEAR's supposed to get a live-action (web?)series, apparently. The rational part of me wants to temper expectations for obvious reasons, but the FEAR fan part of me is incredibly giddy.

Also Atari apparently renewed its Alone in the Dark trademark. I doubt that means anything, but who knows.

from what i understand atari is basically clinging to whatever ips they own in the hopes of them getting bought so i doubt it means anything

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

catlord posted:

FEAR's supposed to get a live-action (web?)series, apparently. The rational part of me wants to temper expectations for obvious reasons, but the FEAR fan part of me is incredibly giddy.

Please no.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

its about how we need to embrace universal healthcare and enjoy the company of our fellow man

Did anybody ever call anyone out in those movies about how lovely the jigsaw killers were about their whole morality thing, about how their whole "we're giving you a chance to live" thing doesn't actually give anyone a chance to live because of how often it requires sacrificing other peoples' lives

because that poo poo is dumb

There were those two Saw games though, those were certainly things that existed. They had you completing little minigames and puzzles to get through jigsaw puzzles as well as fighting other trapped people along the way because saw is dumb

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

Also Atari apparently renewed its Alone in the Dark trademark. I doubt that means anything, but who knows.

I'm interested in this only if they use the same people who did the weapon effects for "The Walking Dead", and spend maybe $800 on developing each episode.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 18, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm interested in this only if they use the same people who did the weapon effects for "The Walking Dead", and spend maybe $800 on developing each episode.

Wow, that is embarrassingly terrible!

I wouldn't hire anyone to choreograph a FEAR show unless they worked on John Wick or Sicario.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unloaded or airsoft guns using digital firing effects cut down heavily on insurance and noise permits, which drives down the per-episode cost.

Having your teenage son do the effects drives the cost down even more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Personally I like the second gif's cleverly applied dynamic of "throwing rocks through windows"

VVV Makes sense, I didnt see the flash at first. Doesn't make sense unless they are shooting grenades lol

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 18, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Personally I like the second gif's cleverly applied dynamic of "throwing rocks through windows"

I think that flash on the breaking window is actually a small pyro charge blowing a hole in it. Actually throwing a rock through the window would have been more realistic. Those little explosions are a Michael Bay thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Unloaded or airsoft guns using digital firing effects cut down heavily on insurance and noise permits, which drives down the per-episode cost.

Having your teenage son do the effects drives the cost down even more.

They could’ve sprung for air soft guns with working slides.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

It would have driven up the budget to buy propane.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

Oh God I didnt even notice that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

catlord posted:

I wish it would get a sequel that isn't F3AR, but this is nice too.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

God, the actors don't even blink when it fires

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

MockingQuantum posted:

I can always hope it's a secret sleeper surprise hit that I've never heard of until now. That totally happens, right? ... right?

There are so many great mini horror games that nobody ever talks about. Off the top of my head: Camp Sunshine, Count Lucanor, Dark Fear, Dead End Road, Distraint, Fibrillation, Into the Gloom, Knock Knock, Masochisia, Music Machine, My Lovely Daughter, Silence of the Sleep, They Breathe.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yancy_Street posted:

There are so many great mini horror games that nobody ever talks about. Off the top of my head: Camp Sunshine, Count Lucanor, Dark Fear, Dead End Road, Distraint, Fibrillation, Into the Gloom, Knock Knock, Masochisia, Music Machine, My Lovely Daughter, Silence of the Sleep, They Breathe.

Even games with thoroughly awful design can be good. Mad Father and The Crooked Man are good, despite being absolutely tortured RPG Maker games.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'd like to see more games in the style of Stories Untold. It did a lot of neat things with a text-based interface.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Yancy_Street posted:

They Breathe.

:gonk::gonk::gonk: Just thinking about that game still makes me extremely uncomfortable

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'd like to see more games in the style of Stories Untold. It did a lot of neat things with a text-based interface.

Stories Untold blew my loving mind. I was in from word one when it was just the 80s style text adventure F2P about family house with the dark secret. But then, when you played the full release, and you're in Ice Station Zebra decoding end of the world messages sent via Morse code and poo poo and it's dawning on you what happened... holy loving God.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

A friend of mine asked if someone has made a Saw style coop game where you guys are basically cooping through a booby trapped house to learn life lessons or whatever the gently caress the plot of that series was.

I actually feel like this would be fun as gently caress, and you could really, really easily do it using the Saw movies as inspiration.

Essentially, instead of it being direct co-op with both players in the same area, each player runs their own "gauntlet" of sorts; some puzzles require both people to communicate through a lovely radio or something and coordinate their actions, others are solo but affect the other player's traps (by making them harder, easier, or simply just changing them to other things). Also, have a random chance that one player is working against the other and that the win state for that player is making it to the end alone.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

:gonk::gonk::gonk: Just thinking about that game still makes me extremely uncomfortable

They Breathe was a horror game??

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh hell yes it was, pretty gross one too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I did not like They Breathe at all, tbh, I just found it plodding and boring and the twist didn't really change much for me and I didn't even realize until today that it was meant to be a horror game, sorry :(

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Yancy_Street posted:

Looks like Cultist Simulator will be dropping soon. I have high hopes for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heaH_KvB4eU

Cultist Simulator is awesome. The gameplay is an odd (in a good way) hybrid of card game and almost idle clicker style cooldown management but the atmosphere is really good and it has a ton of depth and interesting things you can do. The flavour text on cards and events really captures the creepy Lovecraftian atmosphere and there are a variety of ways to end the game (some good, some bad)

It can be pretty hard to work out what to do though, so for people who don't enjoy puzzling out mechanics, it might not be so fun since that exploration is a large part of the charm. Playing it with a faq alongside to tell you exactly what to do would really just make it an RNG simulator until you get the cards you want.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm not sure how many folks here are already aware of these, but I played through the free Flash horror adventure series Don't Escape recently and really enjoyed it. It's a trilogy where the point is to NOT escape from whatever horrible predicament you're in. They're a unique mix of point-and-click adventuring and time management, and each one has very different themes and mechanics. I wrote a review of the series here, or you can jump right into them yourself: Don't Escape, Don't Escape 2, Don't Escape 3.

I also found that the cleverly-titled fourth one will release on Steam sometime this year. It's been in development for ages but the creator has been demoing it recently, which hopefully means a release is forthcoming.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ZF8VH33As

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Looks more like Oblivion from elder scrolls 4 than hell. Also not really scary at all. Some of the levels are pretty but it's too GORE GUTS poo poo BLOOD PISS DEAD BABIES AM I FREAKING YOU OUT YET? to actually be anything but unpleasant.

Anybody else getting massive Outlast II vibes from the cultist who talks about dead babies and having people's kids murdered? Holy poo poo I cannot wait for that 'fad' to pass.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Are there any good multiplayer horror games around these days? The three I know of are all plagued with issues, with the Friday the 13th game apparently having tons of hackers, Dead By Daylight apparently being killed slowly by its devs, and Damned having... no players left, the genre seems kinda dead.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only hackers I've seen on F13 is people editing in Uber Jason, and IIRC that was just aesthetic anyway. It has its fair share of issues but I haven't seen any hackers on PC.

Also holy crap I forgot Damned was even a game :shepface:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The whole 'sex is evil and scary' morality thing in these depictions of Hell is really tired and gross in ways that probably aren't intended but the game seems ...fine? other than that. I'm kinda curious if it goes anywhere interesting or if 'These naked demon ladies are sexy and dangerous' is the only card it's got

Knorth fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 27, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Danaru posted:

The only hackers I've seen on F13 is people editing in Uber Jason, and IIRC that was just aesthetic anyway. It has its fair share of issues but I haven't seen any hackers on PC.

Oh. Well, I guess I should give even less thought to the Steam reviews than I normally do. The most recent reviews were all stuff like "everyone is hacking and the devs are doing nothing help us, my family is dying" so nevermind. I'll probably try to save up for F13 then :v:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Steam reviews are barely more trustworthy than YouTube comments.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gloomy Rube posted:

Are there any good multiplayer horror games around these days? The three I know of are all plagued with issues, with the Friday the 13th game apparently having tons of hackers, Dead By Daylight apparently being killed slowly by its devs, and Damned having... no players left, the genre seems kinda dead.

It wasn't horror at all except for the last puzzle having some mystery marionette that acts as a timer before you die but me and a friend just went through We Were Here it's actually a pretty neat concept where you two never meet and have to solve puzzles by describing to each other what your surroundings are via voice chat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gloomy Rube posted:

Oh. Well, I guess I should give even less thought to the Steam reviews than I normally do. The most recent reviews were all stuff like "everyone is hacking and the devs are doing nothing help us, my family is dying" so nevermind. I'll probably try to save up for F13 then :v:

1stGear posted:

Steam reviews are barely more trustworthy than YouTube comments.

Yeah like 100+ hours person here, I've seen a whopping 1 hacker and a handful of people who bugged out mostly on accident and a couple douches on purpose, it's definitely an overblown issue. On that wider front though yeah a lot MP horror games have come and gone, Damned is dead, the thing that was really similar to Damned I forget is dead, White Noise is dead, Deceit is alive because they had the sense to restart as a free game with cosmetics and it's fun enough now, DbD practically only persists because of sunk cost and so people can gang up and abuse the lone player, F13 doesn't have a massive playerbase but it's plenty more than enough to find games at any time, people are putting a lot of stock into Last Year coming out soon but the devs seem crummy and go radio silent for long spans at a time so I'm waiting to see on it, hopefully that turns out fun.

Also Agony's problem is the same gripe I had with Outlast 2, shock gets trite pretty quick in a game, "Yep there's another trench full of burned bodies, oh another group of skinned and crucified people how novel, ah yes some more of sexual assault monster who's definitely handled very well and not fuckin moronically, great I love it." like your game either needs to be SHORT so everything doesn't wear thin, needs to be a really diverse experience so you're not seeing the same atrocities on repeat, needs to have something really compelling so the whole game isn't just the samey atrocity tourism, but they never learn from this stuff.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 27, 2018

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I didn't want to literally call out that Agony feels like an Outlast II mod but yeah that's like the easiest way to sum up why it seems like it's gonna be stupid.

Nothing seems... Awful, yet, but there has been zero content shown so far that makes me think it'll be anything other than walking through an extremely boring death metal video and occasionally having to Amnesia-stealth past Giant Titty Demon With Vagina Face and Normal Lady But She Has Wings And poo poo.

All this "the red goddess is powerful and will make candlesticks from your bones" thing combined with all the monsters having tits just makes me think the dude who designed the monsters fears women.

Anybody else remember the Year Of The Ladybug monster that was gonna be, like, a bodybuilder with knives for hands and a spotlight(?) head, but his legs are like, three women with dog faces? I want more poo poo like that, please Jesus make these monsters look weird, not just sexy titty ladies with hosed up faces, that's not even remotely scary anymore.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Anybody else remember the Year Of The Ladybug monster that was gonna be, like, a bodybuilder with knives for hands and a spotlight(?) head, but his legs are like, three women with dog faces? I want more poo poo like that, please Jesus make these monsters look weird, not just sexy titty ladies with hosed up faces, that's not even remotely scary anymore.

Sorry, I only remember "Woman with Giant Scissors Riding a Unicycle on the Ceiling" and "Man in a Suit but with a Bonsai Tree for a Head".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
boobs aren't scary?