Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You would connect Subwoofer 1 on the receiver to low level input R/Mono on the sub. The other connections are for flexibility when hooking up to systems without a dedicated subwoofer output.

Yes, that sub has a built in amp. They're called "active" speakers and nearly all decent subs are active. only the lowest end crap and the highest end boutique or custom built subwoofers aren't. Yes, I realize the irony there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for that explanation. Am I right then in assuming that this cable will work with just about any reasonably priced sub out there:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Subwoofer-Cable-15-Feet/dp/B01D5H8GYG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526207893&sr=8-4&keywords=subwoofer+cable

and I won't need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-RCA-Y-Adapter-Feet/dp/B00KCQSW3E/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1526207893&sr=8-7&keywords=subwoofer+cable

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah that'll work perfectly, don't fall for the cable game.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Great. Now, from my understanding the placement of a subwoofer is less important than that of the speakers. Due to space constraints, my plan is to place it near one of the rear speakers, can I do that no problem?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Incessant Excess posted:

Great. Now, from my understanding the placement of a subwoofer is less important than that of the speakers. Due to space constraints, my plan is to place it near one of the rear speakers, can I do that no problem?

That depends completely on your room.

Low frequency sound waves are long, and bounce around a lot, which leads to interference nulls and peaks, which in bad cases can cause there to be almost no bass in one spot, and then ALL THE BASS in a spot just half a meter away.

So don't be afraid to experiment with subwoofer placement. Sometimes a non-obvious location turns out to be the best one.

You can do the "subwoofer crawl", if you're feeling adventurous. Hook up the subwoofer and put in in your normal listening position. Yes, in your chair/sofa. The play some music with decent bass and crawl around the floorboards. You'll find one or more locations where the bass sounds best. Conversely, if you put the subwoofer in one of those spots, it will sound good from your normal listening position.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is there any good <$50 amps out there that just hookup to 2 speakers and do bluetooth or am I better off just looking for a cheap old at a thrift store and buying the $50 Logitech bluetooth thing that hooks up via RCA cables? My dad gave me a set of 2 old speakers and I want to set them up in the garage.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The t-amps like SMSL and Topping work but they're not hugely powerful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know if there's a single unit, but there's plenty of T amps for $25-30 you could plug a Bluetooth aux adapter into.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That depends completely on your room.

Low frequency sound waves are long, and bounce around a lot, which leads to interference nulls and peaks, which in bad cases can cause there to be almost no bass in one spot, and then ALL THE BASS in a spot just half a meter away.

So don't be afraid to experiment with subwoofer placement. Sometimes a non-obvious location turns out to be the best one.

You can do the "subwoofer crawl", if you're feeling adventurous. Hook up the subwoofer and put in in your normal listening position. Yes, in your chair/sofa. The play some music with decent bass and crawl around the floorboards. You'll find one or more locations where the bass sounds best. Conversely, if you put the subwoofer in one of those spots, it will sound good from your normal listening position.

emptyquoting this. Regular speakers are 'point the tweeters at your ears' difficulty in terms of setup. Subs are the other end of the scale, where you want to put them is likely a lovely place for them due to aforementioned physics issues. One place I lived in the ideal spot for the sub was in the next room. Obviously that's a no-go so I found another spot that was almost as good behind the couch in a bay window. Physics is weird.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm having dialogue problems with my current 5.1 setup. I recently got a new Yamaha RX-V383. It's paired with the Yamaha NS-P20 speaker package, and the Yamaha NS-SW100 sub. Everything sounds great, except when I'm watching a film or something with 5.1 audio that puts dialogue through the centre channel. Basically, dialogue ends up sounding pretty muffled and hard to make out during louder scenes. Before upgrading to the RX-V383, I had an older Yamaha YHT-196 receiver and the exact same speakers (but with an older passive sub), and everything sounded quite clear through that setup.

I tried using the receiver's built-in auto speaker tuning function that uses a microphone that you place in the listening position, but that only made things worse than having all the individual speaker volume offsets set at 0.00db (in the receiver settings). I've also tried using the dialogue boost function, and that helps a little, but not entirely. What else can I try to get the clear dialogue back that I used to enjoy?

Edit: The sub crossover is set to 110hz and seems to be fine there, speaker wire was also double checked.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 15, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's the possibility that the tweeter on the centre speaker is hosed but that would be fairly obvious... try swapping the centre out for one of the other speakers and running the auto eq again to see what happens.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gunder posted:

I'm having dialogue problems with my current 5.1 setup. I recently got a new Yamaha RX-V383. It's paired with the Yamaha NS-P20 speaker package, and the Yamaha NS-SW100 sub. Everything sounds great, except when I'm watching a film or something with 5.1 audio that puts dialogue through the centre channel. Basically, dialogue ends up sounding pretty muffled and hard to make out during louder scenes. Before upgrading to the RX-V383, I had an older Yamaha YHT-196 receiver and the exact same speakers (but with an older passive sub), and everything sounded quite clear through that setup.

I tried using the receiver's built-in auto speaker tuning function that uses a microphone that you place in the listening position, but that only made things worse than having all the individual speaker volume offsets set at 0.00db (in the receiver settings). I've also tried using the dialogue boost function, and that helps a little, but not entirely. What else can I try to get the clear dialogue back that I used to enjoy?

Edit: The sub crossover is set to 110hz and seems to be fine there, speaker wire was also double checked.

My RX-V673, I had to put the dialogue boost at +3 (max), and boosted the center channel by +3.5 db to get it where I wanted it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

I'm having dialogue problems with my current 5.1 setup.

Double check that your source actually sends out 5.1 signal. This sounds like source sends out stereo which is then split for 5.1 speakers, resulting in inaudible speech.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Hob_Gadling posted:

Double check that your source actually sends out 5.1 signal. This sounds like source sends out stereo which is then split for 5.1 speakers, resulting in inaudible speech.

Not the guy asking but isn't that what receivers are for? I thought their purpose was to make whatever the source is sound the best for whatever the speaker setup is.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
The Denon AVRX1400H is on sale for $300 at Best Buy. I'm also an employee so I can get the 2400 for $468. Is there any reason to get the 2400 if I think the 1400's six HDMI ports are enough for my devices?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Incessant Excess posted:

Not the guy asking but isn't that what receivers are for? I thought their purpose was to make whatever the source is sound the best for whatever the speaker setup is.

Receivers take the incoming signal and massage it based on a number of things, including user preferences. If user settings show that this incoming stereo signal should be split to 5.1 channels, what's the receiver supposed to do?

For music splitting a stereo signal works usually just fine. For movies, often the dialogue is a problem. Typically "can't hear speech" is most easily fixed by checking that receiver passes the same number of channels out as it gets in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

The Denon AVRX1400H is on sale for $300 at Best Buy. I'm also an employee so I can get the 2400 for $468. Is there any reason to get the 2400 if I think the 1400's six HDMI ports are enough for my devices?

It looks like the main difference besides the inputs is the amp is a little beefier on the 2400 and it has dual HDMI outputs. These probably aren't super relevant unless you have super inefficient speakers and/or a projector and TV. $300 is a pretty good price on the 1400, same as a refurb on AC4L.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

The receiver is set to spit out whatever the source is in. So, TV stuff is all stereo, and apple tv films are 5.1 etc. I managed to make it mostly better by jacking the volume on the centre up to +5db and setting dialogue boost to max. I take it that for more clarity I'd need a better quality centre? The one I have came with the rest of my speakers (and old receiver) in a £180 bundle.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's only so much you can ask of 7cm woofers.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

qirex posted:

It looks like the main difference besides the inputs is the amp is a little beefier on the 2400 and it has dual HDMI outputs. These probably aren't super relevant unless you have super inefficient speakers and/or a projector and TV. $300 is a pretty good price on the 1400, same as a refurb on AC4L.

Should I worry about being future proof for Atmos ceiling speakers? Looks like you have to jump all the way to the 4400 which is so much more. The 1400 supports Atmos, but does an Atmos track offer much if you don't have the additional speakers?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Should I worry about being future proof for Atmos ceiling speakers? Looks like you have to jump all the way to the 4400 which is so much more. The 1400 supports Atmos, but does an Atmos track offer much if you don't have the additional speakers?

There's no difference if you don't have the presence [ceiling/bounce] speakers. Atmos IMO is mostly for people who already have a good system but are bored and get upgradeitis. Even in actual movie theaters the effect is subtle. Build a decent 5.1 system first.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

qirex posted:

There's only so much you can ask of 7cm woofers.

I was thinking of getting this bundle to upgrade my centre channel and fronts in one go. I realise those speakers are meant to be rears, but I am hoping I could just repurpose those as my new fronts? Would that centre overpower them totally?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Weird that the centre on your existing setup has roughly the same sensitivity as the other speakers in the set and yet is noticeably shittier, centre channels usually dominate in terms of loudness (which is partially why I hate the things). Seeing as the fronts are 1db more sensitive, swap one for the centre to check, you might have a duff speaker.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The color of the speaker cable exists only so I can keep track of which connector on the receiver/speaker I need to connect it to, right? Like, it doesn't matter if I connect the red cable to black connector on the receiver as long as I then also connect it to the black connector on the speaker as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Incessant Excess posted:

The color of the speaker cable exists only so I can keep track of which connector on the receiver/speaker I need to connect it to, right? Like, it doesn't matter if I connect the red cable to black connector on the receiver as long as I then also connect it to the black connector on the speaker as well.

As long as you're consistent on both the speaker and receiver ends, no problem.

Actually, you can connect red on the receiver to black on the speakers and vice versa no problem, as long as you do it the same on all the speakers. If you mix it up, you'll create weird sound issues.

A large number of classic JBL speakers were actually wired in "reverse". On most speakers, a positive signal on the red terminal makes the speaker cone move outwards. On the JBL speakers, it's the other way around, so a positive signal on the red terminal makes the cone move in. It doesn't affect sound quality to any noticable degree, as long as you're aware of it in multi-speaker setups.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

KozmoNaut posted:

As long as you're consistent on both the speaker and receiver ends, no problem.

Actually, you can connect red on the receiver to black on the speakers and vice versa no problem, as long as you do it the same on all the speakers. If you mix it up, you'll create weird sound issues.

Thank you, obviously I'm very new to this so the advice from this thread is much appreciated.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The wire is completely identical, it's only a color on the jacket to help you keep track of the connections, yes :-)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Weird that the centre on your existing setup has roughly the same sensitivity as the other speakers in the set and yet is noticeably shittier, centre channels usually dominate in terms of loudness (which is partially why I hate the things). Seeing as the fronts are 1db more sensitive, swap one for the centre to check, you might have a duff speaker.

I just tried doing this. No real difference.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gunder posted:

I was thinking of getting this bundle to upgrade my centre channel and fronts in one go. I realise those speakers are meant to be rears, but I am hoping I could just repurpose those as my new fronts? Would that centre overpower them totally?

I consider around 5"/120mm woofers to be the minimum for what one should consider a "full range" speaker [with a sub], I mean those might sound better than what you have but that's still a really small driver and very cheap cabinets. I don't really know where the best places to get cheap decent stuff in the UK is so I can't give you much more guidance. Honestly I think you're wasting money trying to get a deal at these crazy low price points and around 50 pounds per speaker is probably a lot closer to what will get you good results.

e: Q Acoustics just upgraded the 3000 line so there's good deals on the outgoing models
https://www.richersounds.com/q-acoustics-q3010-matte-graphite.html
https://www.richersounds.com/q-acoustics-q3020-matte-graphite.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/centre-speakers/q-acoustics-q3090c-matte-graphite.html

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 16, 2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

qirex posted:

There's no difference if you don't have the presence [ceiling/bounce] speakers. Atmos IMO is mostly for people who already have a good system but are bored and get upgradeitis. Even in actual movie theaters the effect is subtle. Build a decent 5.1 system first.

Thanks. Ordered the 1400.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

qirex posted:

I consider around 5"/120mm woofers to be the minimum for what one should consider a "full range" speaker [with a sub], I mean those might sound better than what you have but that's still a really small driver and very cheap cabinets. I don't really know where the best places to get cheap decent stuff in the UK is so I can't give you much more guidance. Honestly I think you're wasting money trying to get a deal at these crazy low price points and around 50 pounds per speaker is probably a lot closer to what will get you good results.

e: Q Acoustics just upgraded the 3000 line so there's good deals on the outgoing models
https://www.richersounds.com/q-acoustics-q3010-matte-graphite.html
https://www.richersounds.com/q-acoustics-q3020-matte-graphite.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/centre-speakers/q-acoustics-q3090c-matte-graphite.html

Thanks for this. Gonna give the Q Acoustic 3020 + the 3090c a go! I figure they'll be a good bit better than what I have.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gunder posted:

Thanks for this. Gonna give the Q Acoustic 3020 + the 3090c a go! I figure they'll be a good bit better than what I have.

Let me know how they sound. Hopefully I didn't just send you down a horrible slippery slope of upgrades.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope you did.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

To be honest, there's not much left to upgrade. I just bought a new 4k tv and that receiver to go with it. The speakers were the last thing that was lacking.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The 3020s arrived today (centre coming next week) so I hooked them up for some 2.1 music listening along with my sub and was pretty blown away. They sound way better than my old speakers. Night and day.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

KingKapalone posted:

I have the 1400H and a 5.1.2 Atmos setup (bounce speakers in the front). I'd say it entirely depends on the source. Most stuff these days isn't encoded in Atmos, and the majority of stuff I've seen that is is very subtle. Although it's interesting to see sound engineers use it in different ways. Mad Max Fury Road has a sorta vertical wall of sound in the front, making it sound like your front speakers are twice as tall as they really are. 10 Cloverfield Lane seems to use it in one key moment of the film and that's it. And it's really loving cool in video games, but support on that end is even rarer than in films.

One thing I don't see mentioned a lot is that receivers can upmix 5.1 and 7.1 to Atmos. In my experience it only seems to work on certain types of sounds that you'd expect to hear coming from overhead, like helicopters or birds tweeting, but it's pretty cool.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
In setting up this new Denon 1400, my TV should be using the ARC HDMI port to connect to it so I can keep getting surround sound from my 4k apps, right?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I can get a local deal on a subwoofer but, with it not being a well known brand, I can't find any reviews or impressions online. Does this spec sheet tell anyone here anything by chance?

Regular price is 250 and the sale price is 200.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get a used SVS instead of that thing, it looks like a pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's way too small and light to do anything. Most bookshelf speakers reach 65Hz or below on their own.