Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A slow pull in on the back of someone while they airbrush a model and listen to Edith Piaf sounds like something you'd see in a movie about a serial killer during one of those "this is how they live" scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i tried imagening what the least sexually functional object would be and a cube with sharp edges is all i could think of

Inevitably a perv metallurgist is bound to put that greasy square peg into their round hole

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Has the hydraulic press channel guy done dildos yet?

They did Stretch Armstrong, somebody's gotta be into that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Presented without comment

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

pelvic thrusting such that my half-erect member swings wildly around as if it were the rotor of a helicopter isn't sexual, it's constitutionally protected free speech and this busful of nuns and i are about to have a motherfuckin conversation

edit- cut to 10 seconds later, with me sitting on the ground outside the bus, head in my hands, while the nuns in the bus swing their tiddies overhead like some kinda fleshy lasso

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i always thought that "trespasser" was an extremely bad and pointless euphemism for such accidents and maybe that's why these posts are making me cackle like a wicked witch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

i always thought that "trespasser" was an extremely bad and pointless euphemism for such accidents and maybe that's why these posts are making me cackle like a wicked witch

It's one of those general terms covering everything from "drunk on the tracks" to "starting a fight with the cops" to keep the passengers calm along the rest of the trainline. Something's happening, but you just don't really need to know someone splattered themselves across the front of a high-speed train further up the line.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The regularity of people apparently falling asleep on railroad tracks astounds me. That looks like about 1000 times more uncomfortable than like, even the dirt 4 feet to the side.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's a wood and steel hammock! And you might not die. What's not to like?

edit: You can sleep on the dirt like an animal or die on a bed of technology.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well it's not called a track bed for nothing

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
My brother in law was in charge of a big track and crossing maintenance crew for a long time before he retired, and he got called out to every train accident in 500 miles. He is one of the kindest and most generous men I've ever met in my life but he loving despised anyone who managed to get themselves hit by a train. People tend not to think about the people operating the train or cleaning the crossings after those accidents, but apparently a lot of them end up severely traumatized by it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Apparentlu here in the UK if a train driver runs over and kills three people total he automatically gets a retirement package on full wage for the rest of his life, which seems like a pretty good deal really. This also might not be true

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 14:21 on May 20, 2018

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Getting absolutely annihilated by 5,500 tons of screaming steel flying at 80 miles an hour in a way that's instant for you but traumatizing to everybody else involved seems like a pretty metal way to go tbh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Getting absolutely annihilated by 5,500 tons of screaming steel flying at 80 miles an hour in a way that's instant for you but traumatizing to everybody else involved seems like a pretty metal way to go tbh

if i ever kill myself with a train im going to jump off a step ladder next to the tracks and try hit the windshield for maximum traumatization

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Apparentlu here in the UK if a train driver runs over and kills three people total he automatically gets a retirement package on full wage for the rest of his life, which seems like a pretty good deal really. This also might not be true

Yeah, the aforementioned brother in law said that several good people from his company had essentially gone on permanent disability due to PTSD.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The gore mod on Microsoft Train Simulator might desensitize the workers before and after a suicide-by-train

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Those TF2 map designers have a lot to answer for.

Alternatively: Self-driving trains won't have this problem.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Choco1980 posted:

The regularity of people apparently falling asleep on railroad tracks astounds me. That looks like about 1000 times more uncomfortable than like, even the dirt 4 feet to the side.

I suspect that's a polite euphemism for suicide, much like "accidentally shot himself while cleaning his gun."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whatev posted:

There's a difference between when a kid gets a zesty pinch of the 'tism and when a jokester angel stealthily unscrews the autism shaker's cap before handing it to God

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Even a zesty pinch is enough to make life difficult.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Stupid teens/young adults are the problem. If it wasn't the skateboard, they'd hurt themselves on something else instead.

Samuringa posted:

If it were by me, everyone would be born 30 years old.

Strudel Man posted:

It's be hell on the mothers.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I suspect that's a polite euphemism for suicide, much like "accidentally shot himself while cleaning his gun."

I'm ashamed but this actually clears up a lot, I kept thinking lol these supposed gun experts are loving dumb. Turns out they are sad instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah we always got that one about my cousin when I was a kid. It wasn’t for a while that I figured out what it meant.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

See also: fan death

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
And sudden infant death syndrome.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

HerStuddMuffin posted:

That's murder. It doesn't count.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Not the same thing at all. Might some infant murders be wrongly classified as SIDS? Yes. But that does not mean SIDS is baby murder coverup by the entire medical profession.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tangy yet delightful posted:

Not the same thing at all. Might some infant murders be wrongly classified as SIDS? Yes. But that does not mean SIDS is baby murder coverup by the entire medical profession.

Didn't a woman go to prison because of people loving up the statistics of that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

SIDS isn’t even anything specific. It’s ‘we don’t know, it’s too hard to figure out with an infant’.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

At least it's not fans.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Fan death is real... if you're a bird.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mozi posted:

call me fishmael

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i always like when diseases are described as "idiopathic" because it sounds very fancy and technical but all it means is "we have no loving idea how this happened"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That's also a whole scientific field called quantum mechanics.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

i always like when diseases are described as "idiopathic" because it sounds very fancy and technical but all it means is "we have no loving idea how this happened"

my anat & phys prof in undergrad said "it's called idiopathic because they have a pathology and we're idiots" and ive never forgotten the word

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

doverhog posted:

That's also a whole scientific field called quantum mechanics.

Foundational issues aside, quantum mechanics is understood sufficiently well to use it for most modern advanced technology. :shrug:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Say Nothing posted:

It's bone cancer.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Foundational issues aside, quantum mechanics is understood sufficiently well to use it for most modern advanced technology. :shrug:

there's an old anglo-saxon charm for getting bees to stay on your property (which you'd want if you were a farmer) when you see a swam. it has a whole bit you need to chant, and at the end of the spell you throw a handful of dirt & rocks at the swam. it works very well, but it works because if you throw something at a swarm it will drop to the ground to protect the queen, not because of the 15 lines of alliterative poetry which precedes the rock-throwing

what i'm saying is just because something works doesn't mean you're right about it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Quantum mechanics are probably more complicated than bees but I'm neither a beekeeper or mechanic

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

chernobyl kinsman posted:

there's an old anglo-saxon charm for getting bees to stay on your property (which you'd want if you were a farmer) when you see a swam. it has a whole bit you need to chant, and at the end of the spell you throw a handful of dirt & rocks at the swam. it works very well, but it works because if you throw something at a swarm it will drop to the ground to protect the queen, not because of the 15 lines of alliterative poetry which precedes the rock-throwing

what i'm saying is just because something works doesn't mean you're right about it

Except that with quantum mechanics you can make a lot of changes and get results that are consistent with the theory, and the theory allowed the prediction of new phenomena and the explanation of others.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Presented without comment

i get that i wrote it & thus shouldn't be surprised but, that is. . . not how i imagined that post would end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Roosian bumbers sited on ridar, scrample figters immediat!!!