Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

Isn't the second JP movie the one where a T-Rex chases everyone off a ship then is later found locked up in the hold?

I wanna say the people on the boat locked up the trex but then got got by raptors? Maybe that was a deleted scene? But I might also be making poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jedit posted:

Isn't the second JP movie the one where a T-Rex chases everyone off a ship then is later found locked up in the hold?

That was the rewritten ending that was literally done at the last minute. Koepp wasn't told they had decided to change the ending, so when he found out, he requested he get eaten by the Tyrannosaurus.

Also, the T. Rex was held in the big cage after Roland tranquilized it. The same cage can be seen on the deck of the S.S. Venture (nice King Kong reference btw) having been ripped apart from the inside. So the T. Rex presumably broke out of its cage after they gave it the adrenaline shot to counteract the sedative when its heart stopped. It went berserk and broke out of the cage, managed to either kill or drive most of the crew off the boat, and the surviving crew managed to lure it into the cargo hold and trap it there.

I think at least one crew member survived, the guy who explains to Sarah and Ian that they had to administer the adrenaline shot to wake it up. It does add up. The only thing that doesn't really add up is the hand clinging to the helm, because how the hell did the Rex get inside the bridge?

EDIT: turns out that the Rex actually smashed into the back of the bridge to kill the helmsman. There is a piece of concept art that shows the SS Venture with a big gaping hole in the back of the bridge where the Rex hit it. Check out this video at 7:52 to see it.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 19:11 on May 19, 2018

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Calaveron posted:

In Jaws they play a really subtle theme whenever Jaws is about to strike

I mean, I guess.

But the more important thing about the music in Jaws is the shift in tone. The first half of the movie is a horror film, so the music is creepy and terrifying. When the three leave on the Orca to go kill it the music shifts as it's now an adventure movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jaws iirc famously had its tone shifted mid-development because the mechanical shark prop they had really sucked, so they couldn't rely on good shark shots and added more plot to fill the time instead. (they also use some stock footage, iirc)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
I've been working my way through the MCU movies sequentially (I just finished Iron Man 3), and noticed that Captain America is the only character in The Avengers with a leitmotif. Basically any time the focus of a shot or scene is him doing something dramatic, you get really patriotic and triumphant-sounding horns that are right out of a military parade.

Also, there's a shot just after the wormhole opens and the aliens start invading, when Iron Man starts fighting them against the skyline, where you can see that they're flying in Galaga formations. Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did.

Those movies are typically about as subtle as a fire alarm, but I'll respect understated elements when they do them.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:38 on May 20, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
In Winter Soldier there are some nice musical moments where Cap’s horns mingle with Bucky’s discordant howling theme.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cleretic posted:

I've been working my way through the MCU movies sequentially (I just finished Iron Man 3), and noticed that Captain America is the only character in The Avengers with a leitmotif. Basically any time the focus of a shot or scene is him doing something dramatic, you get really patriotic and triumphant-sounding horns that are right out of a military parade.

Also, there's a shot just after the wormhole opens and the aliens start invading, when Iron Man starts fighting them against the skyline, where you can see that they're flying in Galaga formations. Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did.

Those movies are typically about as subtle as a fire alarm, but I'll respect understated elements when they do them.

It helps that Silvestri did the score and he was probably working on it concurrently with The First Avenger, so it was easier for him to integrate the Captain America theme than anyone else's. Thor had Patrick Doyle and Iron Man had Ramin Djawadi, so they'd be really discordant with Silvestri's musical style if he tried to integrate their themes into the film. So Iron Man gets his ACDC riff from Iron Man 2, and Thor really doesn't get much of a theme considering Doyle only came to Marvel at the request of Kenneth Branagh, and neither of them stuck around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ferrule posted:

I mean, I guess.

But the more important thing about the music in Jaws is the shift in tone. The first half of the movie is a horror film, so the music is creepy and terrifying. When the three leave on the Orca to go kill it the music shifts as it's now an adventure movie.

I’m making fun of the guy for pointing out something incredibly obvious

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Calaveron posted:

I’m making fun of the guy for pointing out something incredibly obvious

In this thread who can loving tell?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I thought it was pretty clear

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jaws iirc famously had its tone shifted mid-development because the mechanical shark prop they had really sucked, so they couldn't rely on good shark shots and added more plot to fill the time instead. (they also use some stock footage, iirc)

Ferrule posted:

I mean, I guess.

They also screened it a few times without the music and it didn't work at all. Speilberg also didn't like the score when he first heard Williams work, thinking it was too simple and made him play it over and over until it clicked.

JAWS is a tremendous exercise in movie subtlety, as silly as that sounds when we're talking about a totally unbelievable film about a monster shark behaving in ridiculous and unscientific ways that sharks don't do The use of the barrels and something as clever as slow tension a fishing line or a floating dock to imply the shark, the water level/below level camera angles and the way they manage to demonstrate so much (gory attacks, the strength of the fish...even character motivations) by showing so little is just masterful. The shark being broken was the best thing that could have happened to that film and really let Shaw, Scheider and Dreyfuss carry the load and shine, with a young and hungry Spielberg improvising and John Williams at the absolute top of his game.

The only gratuitous things in the whole film are the severed leg, the head in the boat and arguably the spray of blood during the Alex Ketner attack but the film needed those scenes and is better for them. I don't count Quint's death as gratuitous since it was just so truly earned and came during the final standoff.

For a look at how poorly JAWS fairs without all those subtle touches, just watch the sequels.

It's my favorite movie ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's the really cool long shot in Jaws where they take a ferry from one end of the beach to the other and it's all this unbroken shot that you never notice because you're too busy listening to them speak.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's the really cool long shot in Jaws where they take a ferry from one end of the beach to the other and it's all this unbroken shot that you never notice because you're too busy listening to them speak.

EFAP talked about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4X2vDRfRk

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Spielberg’s oner in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Marion’s competing in the drinking contest is kinda short but amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAueFkVYvA

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It helps that Silvestri did the score and he was probably working on it concurrently with The First Avenger, so it was easier for him to integrate the Captain America theme than anyone else's. Thor had Patrick Doyle and Iron Man had Ramin Djawadi, so they'd be really discordant with Silvestri's musical style if he tried to integrate their themes into the film. So Iron Man gets his ACDC riff from Iron Man 2, and Thor really doesn't get much of a theme considering Doyle only came to Marvel at the request of Kenneth Branagh, and neither of them stuck around.

Iron Man is playing the AC/DC himself, that doesn't count.

Although thinking about it, I do like that the only Iron Man movie that doesn't open with AC/DC is 3. In a literal sense that's because 3 is the only one that doesn't open to a scene where Tony is picking the music, but 3 is also about him losing control, struggling against enemies that are setting the rules of engagement far more than him. It's also about Tony learning to separate himself from the Iron Man suit, so if we consider AC/DC more as 'Iron Man's leitmotif' than 'Stark's leitmotif' it makes sense that it never plays in 3.

I also hate AC/DC, so a movie that opens to Eiffel 65 instead is just an immediately better experience to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Going back to The Lost World and Spielberg's long shots, there's a really impressive one when Eddie is trying to save the trailers from going over the cliff. It starts on a location shot when Eddie is trying the climbing rope around the tree stump, and then transitions to a set shot inside the trailer, and then transitions to an effects shot when he peers down at Nick Sarah and Ian stuck inside the bottom half of the trailer.

There's actually a lot of nest scene transitions like this in the film. The subway shot at the start following Ian onto the train by fading into the train car and the scene where the camera slides through the waterfall as the female Rex's head bursts in are all seamless.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

They also screened it a few times without the music and it didn't work at all. Speilberg also didn't like the score when he first heard Williams work, thinking it was too simple and made him play it over and over until it clicked.

JAWS is a tremendous exercise in movie subtlety, as silly as that sounds when we're talking about a totally unbelievable film about a monster shark behaving in ridiculous and unscientific ways that sharks don't do The use of the barrels and something as clever as slow tension a fishing line or a floating dock to imply the shark, the water level/below level camera angles and the way they manage to demonstrate so much (gory attacks, the strength of the fish...even character motivations) by showing so little is just masterful. The shark being broken was the best thing that could have happened to that film and really let Shaw, Scheider and Dreyfuss carry the load and shine, with a young and hungry Spielberg improvising and John Williams at the absolute top of his game.

The only gratuitous things in the whole film are the severed leg, the head in the boat and arguably the spray of blood during the Alex Ketner attack but the film needed those scenes and is better for them. I don't count Quint's death as gratuitous since it was just so truly earned and came during the final standoff.

For a look at how poorly JAWS fairs without all those subtle touches, just watch the sequels.

It's my favorite movie ever.

It's my favorite ever too and I've probably seen it well over one hundred times by now, but Ben Gardner's head still annoys the poo poo out of me. Did it pluck out an eye, then hear someone coming and stuff the body belowdecks?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

CrRoMa posted:

I've read 108 pages of thread without wanting to post but i just wanted to say this is brilliant.

Wow, I was trying to remember when I wrote that post, and it was three years ago?? Crazy.

I'm definitely stretching the "Hammond's ice cream eating saved everybody" but I definitely think that they wrote in Hammond eating the ice cream leading to Tim being able to survive in the kitchen.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I mean, it's a bit of a stretch but it does create another parallel between the humans and the dinosaurs once everything goes to hell. Everyone drops into survival mode, either selfishly or for their kids. And things not in immediate danger? Wandering to get some formerly off limits food.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not that much of a stretch. It's just good visual storytelling.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It's my favorite ever too and I've probably seen it well over one hundred times by now, but Ben Gardner's head still annoys the poo poo out of me. Did it pluck out an eye, then hear someone coming and stuff the body belowdecks?

Gardner drowned with the boat and then another fish ate the eye.

It's easier to explain than the severed hand on the tanker wheel in Lost World.

And also jumping on the 'Jaws is the best' bandwagon. That's one of the films that I watched endlessly on a scratchy old VHS recorded from TV. I really need to sit down and watch it in HD to see if there's anything subtle that I missed. Similar to the first time I saw a non-VHS copy of The Shining.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 12:33 on May 21, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

And also jumping on the 'Jaws is the best' bandwagon. That's one of the films that I watched endlessly on a scratchy old VHS recorded from TV. I really need to sit down and watch it in HD to see if there's anything subtle that I missed. Similar to the first time I saw a non-VHS copy of The Shining.

I had a surplus Betamax tape bought from a video store that was going out of business. I spent my entire summer vacation watching it every single day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do this. Worth it alone for the wide screen. Several scenes lose a LOT with the old TV cropping.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gardner drowned with the boat and then another fish ate the eye.

It's easier to explain than the severed hand on the tanker wheel in Lost World.

tgere are a lot of cool little things in jaws that u wouldnt notice in SD

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So, basically the idea is "You're gonna need a bigger TV".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Might be reaching but in The Hanmdaid's Tale when young June/Offred's mother takes her to a midnight rally she says they're going to feed the ducks. What they're actually feeding is slips of paper into a fire. Papers with the names of their rapists on them. Ducks have a certain reputation. :shrug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So, basically the idea is "You're gonna need a bigger TV".

A wider TV.

but yeah.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

A wider TV.

but yeah.

I think they measure sharks diagonally from corner to corner like TV's.

I had always heard Roy Scheider came up with that line, but apparently it was a running gag throughout the production because the budget was strained and the barge used for production only had one small supply boat (hence the complaints for needing a bigger boat). The article sounds like Scheider ad-libbed the line in several scenes, but that's the one that stuck.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Hilarious-Way-Jaws-Came-Up-With-Its-Most-Famous-Line-116997.html

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thor really doesn't get much of a theme considering Doyle only came to Marvel at the request of Kenneth Branagh, and neither of them stuck around.
Branagh has a speaking part in Infinity War, so he stuck around slightly. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pilchenstein posted:

Branagh has a speaking part in Infinity War, so he stuck around slightly. :v:

Does he? I didn't even notice.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does he? I didn't even notice.

I had to look this up. He’s the Asgardian ship emergency call at the very beginning of the movie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

It's been a while since I've watched the EFAP video but his lack of referencing Argento's Tenebre really irks me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFRzrrESAOQ

This scene is immediately preceded by a minute-and-a-half long argument between the two women that's one long take too, but almost three minute long circuit around the house is just awesome. I'm never going to accuse Argento of having any subtle moments in his films but this is just so. drat. good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had always heard Roy Scheider came up with that line, but apparently it was a running gag throughout the production because the budget was strained and the barge used for production only had one small supply boat (hence the complaints for needing a bigger boat). The article sounds like Scheider ad-libbed the line in several scenes, but that's the one that stuck.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Hilarious-Way-Jaws-Came-Up-With-Its-Most-Famous-Line-116997.html

My user name was improvised, or so I've heard.

Scheider, Shaw and Dreyfuss are so loving good in that movie it's insane and, related to the thread, offer a lot of really subtle acting moments. Facial expressions, body language, understated lines...love it. Shaw was drunk as gently caress in every scene, Dreyfuss hated the film and was sure it would be a bomb and Scheider just seemed to soldier on like the pro that he was.

The whole loving film is amazing and my 7 year old is dying to watch but we live at the beach and he's too young. I can't wait til he's 10 and we have scary JAWS movie night. I consider it a rite of passage.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The whole loving film is amazing and my 7 year old is dying to watch but we live at the beach and he's too young.

He may get grossed out at what gore is there. Then he'll heave and you'll have to watch that little boy's dinner spill out all over the dock.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BiggerBoat posted:

The whole loving film is amazing and my 7 year old is dying to watch but we live at the beach and he's too young. I can't wait til he's 10 and we have scary JAWS movie night. I consider it a rite of passage.

Yeah. I was 6 when we saw that at the drive-in just a couple of miles from the beach, and only a couple of hours sailing from where the movie supposedly took place. Wait.

And that reminds me of a movie that came out a year later, don't let your kid watch The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea. NMS the whole way through. Unless you're a major Mishima fan. In which case, follow your leader.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This Twitter thread has lots of subtle movie moments:
https://twitter.com/DJ_Link/status/996492372061114368

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Whoa

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Captain America: The Winter Soldier has a cute little running gag where Natasha keeps trying to suggest girls Cap should ask out. It's a cute little running gag, mostly just a bit of banter. But on thinking about it, I realized a couple of little things it also does beyond just character interaction.

1. It's a neat, short way of informing what their relationship is, and perhaps more importantly what it isn't. Most of the movie is those two together, on the run and facing this enormous problem together, and we're kind of conditioned to read a relationship like that in a movie as eventually becoming romantic (hell, case in point: the first Captain America movie. Also, I believe every Bond film), and there's a few scenes where they deliberately put on that front, but that running gag helps to confirm that while their relationship is friendly, it's strictly professional, and they aren't interested in each other.

2. The first person she suggests is a nurse that lives on the same floor as Cap. When we actually meet that person, she almost immediately gets revealed as an undercover SHIELD agent there to protect Cap. She's later seen to be working in the same sort of fields as Natasha, albeit in a more white-collar capacity, so they have to know each other to some degree. She also ends up being one of the SHIELD loyalists when Hydra starts showing their hand. So Natasha isn't just suggesting blindly here, she's clearly suggesting people that she knows Cap would get on quite well with, and he should totally take her advice.

Also, an unrelated subtle gag: There's a scene where Cap and Natasha need transport, which then immediately cuts to the two of them driving down a freeway and Natasha asking 'since when does Captain America know how to steal a car?' This is probably a reference to the so-bad-it's-good 1990 Captain America movie, where Cap feigns sickness to steal someone's car.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone forgets the dude's a sickly kid from Brooklyn. I like the joke that Peter Parker technically doesn't lie to Aunt May about how he got into a fight with a guy from Brooklyn and his huge friend.

Also, when introduced to another Peter, Peter Quill, Tony Stark immediately defaults to calling him 'Quill'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cleretic posted:

This is probably a reference to the so-bad-it's-good 1990 Captain America movie, where Cap feigns sickness to steal someone's car.

MULTIPLE TIMES. He needs his name changed to Captain Liverpool.