Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Linguica posted:

the fact that I can set apple music to only ever play clean versions of songs makes it a killer app for me

I like that in Google music blocking explicit songs is just optional but I'm glad apple music suits your needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what about a mode to never play the clean version because those are always bad

like they just went into an audio editor, cut out that second, and you can hear the Rhythm jump

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Krankenstyle posted:

just cancel it and embrace the easy, unencumbered life of a criminal, op

a path well known but one I left long ago when I could add my family to a plan and never have to help them with music or subject their fragile minds to the horrors of YouTube ads

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

like they just went into an audio editor, cut out that second, and you can hear the Rhythm jump

i ain't sayin she's a gold digger
but she ain't messin with no broke'broke

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wild EEPROM posted:

I will subscribe to the first streaming service that offers this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

google has officially announced youtube music, a product that competes with google play music. if you want to keep the features you currently pay $10 for, you have to pay $12.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/05/16/youtube-music-premium-subscription-google-play-music/

heres my advice

dont pay for google music, just upload your own and stream that, for free

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

heres my advice

dont pay for google music, just upload your own and stream that, for free
obviously don't start doing this today, because google play music (or at least this functionality) will go away at some point when they replace it with redtube. plex might be a good alternative but I don't personally know what their mobile player is like

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Here’s my advice: a directory full of .mp3 files that you sync to any device you feel like :shrug:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm always surprised that this is not an option anywhere.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Here’s my advice: a directory full of .mp3 files that you sync to any device you feel like :shrug:

better go full lossless!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jenny Agutter posted:

what? its fine

Absolutely not. It's much too easy to move and remove songs in playlists, did it accidentally all the time. It also simply suppresses songs that are no longer available, without any indication - with Spotify, I can set it to "show unplayable songs" so I know what songs I'm suddenly missing in my playlists.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 18, 2018

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

there's a few albums that i have locally that used to be on spotify and were removed

if i try to play one spotify tells me that the song is unavailable, but i can listen to it if i have the file locally on my pc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

because google play music (or at least this functionality) will go away at some point when they replace it with redtube.

i think that may be a different thing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they changed the google news interface and now it's really bad

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

they changed the * interface and now it's really bad

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Wheany posted:

google: it's really bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

clean versions were good back when they recorded alternate lyrics, e.g. the radio edit of "deep cover"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

qirex posted:

clean versions were good back when they recorded alternate lyrics, e.g. the radio edit of "deep cover"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxodgpyGec&t=19s

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

i want to take away the policemen's cars

cops hide in their cars and only talk to people when there's something bad going down. instead make them walk a beat, so they interact with people on a regular basis in a normal context. "hi officer, how are you" "oh pretty good, nice day today innit?" etc. both the policemen and the populace will benefit

most cop cars here have WALK MY BEAT bumper stickers. it's funny

there was an initiative last year to put cops on bikes in the warm months. it lasted maybe 2 weeks

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
cop bikers in my area must be punishment detail because they act like turbo grouchy assholes 100% of the time. motorcycle cops are slightly more smug than regular cops but i think bike cops are the most pissed because they never get any respect

they probably get tired of the "are you loving serious?" look every time they try to pull someone over by the second week. like, someone can legitimately drive off and claim they didn't see them and there isn't poo poo they can do but super escalate but it's prolly not worth it to call a manhunt every other day so they just get more and more surly, so they're down to harassing teenagers in the park or whatever

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 19, 2018

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Bhodi posted:

cop bikers in my area must be punishment detail because they act like turbo grouchy assholes 100% of the time. motorcycle cops are slightly more smug than regular cops but i think bike cops are the most pissed because they never get any respect.

they probably get tired of the "are you loving serious?" look every time they try to pull someone over by the second week. like, someone can legitimately drive off and claim they didn't see them and there isn't poo poo they can do but super escalate but it's prolly not worth it to call a manhunt every other day so they just get more and more surly, so they're down to harassing teenagers in the park or whatever

maybe traffic cops should still keep their cars, but not every cop is a traffic cop

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah but you can only harass minority’s so much for jaywalking, traffic harassment is where it’s at

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a bike cop gave me a ticket when I was on my bike and he was the biggest dick of any other cop I’ve interacted with in my life by a wide margin

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Management posted:

a bike cop gave me a ticket when I was on my bike and he was the biggest dick of any other cop I’ve interacted with in my life by a wide margin

shame that you didn't kick into the secret 22nd or 28th gear and outrun them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you shoulda just sat on his bike and been like "i followed the rules" *wave-like gesture*

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Endless Mike posted:

*apparently* if you switch from google play music (which includes youtube red) to youtube red (which includes google play music), you will be grandfathered into the current $10 price when youtube red becomes youtube music. if you're on the grandfathered $8 google play music, you're gonna be paying $2-4 more to retain the features you currently have.

just call the google support line and the agent will explain your options

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
google are incompetent at communication
https://twitter.com/GooglePlayMusic/status/997127746152206337?s=09

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

rapeface posted:

google are incompetent at communication

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i cant imagine willingly giving money to google for a product or service

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trying to read this makes me feel like i have bees in my brain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not news: google almost certainly faked the duplex demo

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, I totally expected that stage demo to be a call to a real hairdresser.

The clickbait is strong with this one.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lambert posted:

Ah yes, I totally expected that stage demo to be a call to a real hairdresser.

The clickbait is strong with this one.

maybe, but jobs did the same style of call but live, didnt he? its one thing to say yeah, its edited for details etc., its another to have a totally fake presentation and not disclaim it when asked directly. even a 'modified for privacy' response would have made sense

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Agile Vector posted:

maybe, but jobs did the same style of call but live, didnt he? its one thing to say yeah, its edited for details etc., its another to have a totally fake presentation and not disclaim it when asked directly. even a 'modified for privacy' response would have made sense

Did he? The calls in Apple presentation always seemed just as scripted.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh I just assumed google had an army of interns create fake calls 8 hours a day for half a year to train their AI on and that the demonstration was just a part of their validation set.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lambert posted:

i thought they were live calls, but prepped so they didnt call and get sent to a queue which would break the cadence of the presentation. it was still theater, but i thought not editing beforehand

Eeyo posted:

oh I just assumed google had an army of interns create fake calls 8 hours a day for half a year to train their AI on and that the demonstration was just a part of their validation set.

thatd make sense. it does seem odd that the salon didnt ask more questions, but im used to scheduling with a stylist so just cold calling isnt something I'm familiar with right now

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol googles ai thing is gonna get flummoxed by the "Hi.......... I'm not here right now! leave a message!" voicemail greeting trick.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lambert posted:

the presentation is scripted, but the conversation is not what Apple was demonstrating, it was the phone functionality. in google’s case they were demonstrating the conversation, but with a scripted conversation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, if your product is ai that can make a phone call it's somewhat important for the ai to be making a phone call, because otherwise you're just demonstrating a phone call, which i understand have been around for a while now.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Scripted is a strong word. Let's just say they picked the best example out of hundreds of actual attempts and then edited it heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

yes, if your product is ai that can make a phone call it's somewhat important for the ai to be making a phone call, because otherwise you're just demonstrating a phone call, which i understand have been around for a while now.

If the technology is there, this doesn't matter at all. They are demonstrating how it works, the specific content of this one phone call isn't the point.

• Locked thread