Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone in the New Vegas thread explained Ulysses in a way that actually makes a lot more sense

Was this me? I think that might have been me.

Anyway, the key to appreciating Ulysses as a character is realizing he's a hypocrite and a liar and you really shouldn't take the things he says at face value. He's planned out this whole weird murder/suicide revenge ploy because he's a mad at a mailman for delivering a package. His justification is that people need to take responsibility for their actions, and yet we've been clearly shown that Ulysses never actually takes responsibility for his own actions since every other DLC is directly caused by his own stupid decisions: He told Elijah where the Sierra Madre was, he's the one who broke the Think Tank out of their mental loop, and he's the one who trained the White Legs. Instead of cleaning up his own messes he hyper fixates on you, because in his mind you are the joker to his Batman. You have to be. Because if you're not that means his one shot at a happy and meaningful life was taken away from him for no reason and everything is loving meaningless and his traumatized mind can't really process that right now so hey wanna hear a monologue about historical pseudo-philosophy?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im dissapointed lonesome road had no int 3 dialogue checks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iretep posted:

im dissapointed lonesome road had no int 3 dialogue checks.

You and me both.

An increasingly frustrated and erratic Ulysses trying to explain his plan and worldview to a courier who's fundamentally incapable of understanding it would have been amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You and me both.

An increasingly frustrated and erratic Ulysses trying to explain his plan and worldview to a courier who's fundamentally incapable of understanding it would have been amazing.

It would.

I forget, though.

Do you get Johan Liebert style options?

Because convincing him that you're the devil, that this was on purpose, and that he cannot even being to understand your grand design might be fun too.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The build up to Ulysses was fantastic, and the meeting was ultimately underwhelming. I did enjoy the details about the Divide flourishing as a settlement specifically because of the Courier prior to the one package delivery, but that's the only good take away I have from the whole thing, honestly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

chiasaur11 posted:

It would.

I forget, though.

Do you get Johan Liebert style options?

Because convincing him that you're the devil, that this was on purpose, and that he cannot even being to understand your grand design might be fun too.

You get the odd line to the effect of "this place clearly meant something to you so I'm glad it's destroyed" and at the end you can say "the Divide couldn't stop me, you don't have a chance" which is about as close as you can get

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still like the idea of the player having to deal with/atone for a sin their character commited, and the big reveal on exactly what the courier did was pretty great.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ha ha ha, we're doing this again. Not just the thread, but specifically you and I. :moments:

Speedrun version for the class:

Ulysses accuses the Courier of delivering an eyebot that sent a signal to blow up Hopeville and Ashton. Neurolimal and (I'm assuming) 2house2fly have accepted Ulysses' assessment of fault at face value. Guess it's impossible that Ulysses is an unreliable narrator? Or is he an unreliable narrator most of the time but perfectly right about just you? Because that makes sense.

Let's start from the worst degree of responsibility: the Courier went out of their way to destroy the settlements. We can (I hope; at the very least, I can) safely dismiss the idea that the Courier decided that "you know what gently caress everyone in those two towns" as asinine since even Ulysses, in his latest fit of very stable genius, doesn't level that accusation at them.

So did the Courier not do a good enough job inspecting the package for hazards? First, that's Mojave Express's job, and second, if for some reason you've transferred your own self-loathing onto the Courier, how the hell are you supposed to tell that it's not even a complete city-buster, just the trigger for one? It's not like there's a circuit board inside labeled "Take to Facility Name and redeem for megadeaths". It's old-world bullshit, possibly new old-world bullshit. Plenty of Enclave gone to ground with life-long grudges, Brotherhood trying to cover for their fleeing chapters and not caring what savages end up being caught up in it; both have the technical know-how and geo-intelligence to set up something like this and that's just obvious suspects. They'd be able to cover it up pretty easy, especially from a world that doesn't really "get" that laser weapons have recovery transceivers and may not get that they have serial numbers.

So should the Courier have not taken the old-world bullshit as a delivery? Possibly too many variables for a proper analysis. Could be the Mojave Express said 'well the sender said it was safe' (which might merit some followup but could also lead to 'fine whatever it's caps') or perhaps 'it's a deactivated robot it's not going to do anything'. Probably a lot of old-world stuff goes out through the post, alongside letters and things. Settlements probably rely on proper caravans, or make or grow or scavenge on site, or make do without if it's not vital. I suppose a lot of this hinges on whatever skills and credibility you think the Courier had before Benny air-conditioned their skull. But given the condition of New California's labor rights, the Mojave Express probably had enough to cover the company on paper, which means that turning down the delivery would have only reflected poorly on the Courier. Picky at the wrong time or too often and it could cost the Courier that steady job, and the prospects for steady work are bad enough back West that people are coming out to Vegas to farm for the state.

And before you even think the word Nuremberg, I don't know about your local post office, but I haven't seen any death camps, settlement bulldozings, or human-subject experiments at mine.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a fictional character in a video game dogg calm down. Ulysses is absolutely an unreliable narrator, and the fact that what happened couldn't realistically have been prevented is pretty much the entire point

Also not really relevant, but: the trigger wasn't ED-E. The trigger was some old-world device which was lying around and used by the automated systems as material to build ED-E. His body contains the trigger which is why he can be used to set the missiles off again

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 20, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I mostly like Ulysses to be honest. Once you've got all the DLCs they're kind of creating this whole parallel challenge and narrative outside the main game, so I like having an end boss of sorts to put a cap on that, and it's sort of neat to have this nega-Courier who's seen all the same things you have, but interpreted them in a much different way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If the Courier had tried to inspect the package and just couldn't find out its purpose that's one thing. We don't have any reason to believe that's what happened, the Courier just delivered the package and left.

In fact, we have explicit reason to believe the Courier was haphazard in his deed, because not only is LR written by Avellone, but it's a continuation of the themes from Kreia's storyline in KOTOR2; that you can't just blindly do Good Deeds to make real positive change, and in many ways those good deeds can lead to suffering. The Courier not doing his due diligence to make sure what he was doing would be good beyond "Deliver Package" is perfectly in line with this compared to believing the Courier whipped out the metal detector and bomb sniffing muthounds.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is avellone a libertarian/anti-social safety net? Or does that keep popping up in his work as villains because he dislikes the idea?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

is avellone a libertarian/anti-social safety net?

no? It's not that you shouldn't do good things, it's just that you have to figure out if you're actually, you know, doing a good thing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

If the Courier had tried to inspect the package and just couldn't find out its purpose that's one thing. We don't have any reason to believe that's what happened, the Courier just delivered the package and left.

[...]

The Courier not doing his due diligence to make sure what he was doing would be good beyond "Deliver Package" is perfectly in line with this compared to believing the Courier whipped out the metal detector and bomb sniffing muthounds.

Oh, well if couriers have all that at their disposal then why would you even need Mojave Express.

Neurolimal posted:

In fact, we have explicit reason to believe the Courier was haphazard in his deed, because not only is LR written by Avellone, but it's a continuation of the themes from Kreia's storyline in KOTOR2

:ironicat:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Oh, well if couriers have all that at their disposal then why would you even need Mojave Express.

??? I feel like you're going more for catty remark than actually discussing this. I'm not saying he had that, or that it would be a reasonable expectation for him to have that. What I'm saying is that it is most likely that he didn't do anything to inspect the package. Yes, the Mojave Express is also at fault for not doing their due diligence as well. There can be multiple people at fault.

If you dont like Kreia that's fine, but I dont think it's unlikely for the person who wrote Kreia and evidently likes tackling moral grey black/white dichotomy would continue that in his next work. He's just approaching it from the opposite end of what we're used to; instead of saying "the black area could actually have legitimate reasons or understandable misunderstandings that put them there" he's saying "it's entirely possible for the white side to be careless and stupid, leading to harm despite having no intention of doing such".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 20, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neurolimal posted:

??? I feel like you're going more for catty remark than actually discussing this. I'm not saying he had that, or that it would be a reasonable expectation for him to have that. What I'm saying is that it is most likely that he didn't do anything to inspect the package. Yes, the Mojave Express is also at fault for not doing their due diligence as well. There can be multiple people at fault.

You're saying that the Courier didn't even do basic 'will this kill me' checks. I mean, maybe the Courier literally has the save/load function at their disposal, but you'd think we'd have heard about that in in-game lore if that was the case. The odds of the Courier even surviving to receive this order for delivery would require graduate-level math to express otherwise.

Neurolimal posted:

If you dont like Kreia that's fine, but I dont think it's unlikely for the person who wrote Kreia and evidently likes tackling moral grey areas would continue that in his next work.

And now you're bringing in other sources on the basis that the author had a particular point to make. You're arguing from the conclusion. Someone else's conclusion. This is getting sad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You're saying that the Courier didn't even do basic 'will this kill me' checks. I mean, maybe the Courier literally has the save/load function at their disposal, but you'd think we'd have heard about that in in-game lore if that was the case. The odds of the Courier even surviving to deliver this package would require graduate-level math to express otherwise.

....So what you're saying is that the courier absolutely would have inspected someone else's package on a seemingly routine job to an unaligned town, from a source that has been reliable in giving him not-bombs in the past?

Considering that the Courier decided to go to vegas via the Cazador Death Party (what with being intercepted near Goodsprings) I don't think we can assume that pre-player Courier was in any way cautious without the material saying such.

And now you're bringing in other sources on the basis that the author had a particular point to make. You're arguing from the conclusion. Someone else's conclusion. This is getting sad.

So it's wrong to check the writer's favored themes to intuit the themes of the current work being discussed, but it is right to make wild assumptions that the Courier did his best to make sure Hopeville didn't get blown up, despite having no source in the work saying such?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

double nine posted:

is avellone a libertarian/anti-social safety net? Or does that keep popping up in his work as villains because he dislikes the idea?

He's recently talked about various ways he was mistreated at Obsidian, and also emphasized that he can only really talk about it now because he's financially comfortable. So he is at least more aware of the conditions imposed and implicitly maintained by capitalism than a standard libertarian type would be. I think the idea of the individual as an agent of change which comes up in his stories is more to do with him working within the genre of role playing games, where the player can sometimes profoundly affect the outcome of events. If it applies to the real world then I would see it as more of a call for community action and rejection of authority.

E: in the case of KOTOR2 you get a lecture and a display of negative consequences for both helping a beggar and refusing to help him, as either the beggar gets mugged or he then goes and fights someone else. So it's less a libertarian point, and more that your actions have consequences you can't necessarily foresee, both good and bad

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 20, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Never really played either FO3/NV fully modded, so I'm starting again with FO3. I've got a stable build, everything works great - with one exception, Sun/Sky texture placers. Tried a bunch, I'm using NMM but have manually confirmed they're being put in textures/sky, and they work fine on first load.

As soon as you enter/exit a building though, they're gone for that playthrough. I've disabled all other mods and tried it with just the sun textures, same prob- it's not a conflict. Every time I enter/exit a building they won't show up until a game relaunch.

Anyone else seen this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I am not obligated to take your 'gently caress it yolo' playthroughs as the canon outcome of the game, or as a disproof of a human/social concept of self-interested due diligence in general.

And if a work can't establish a theme on its own then ... well, that says a lot about the work, but let's leave it at maybe the theme's not there.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 20, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Was this me? I think that might have been me.

Anyway, the key to appreciating Ulysses as a character is realizing he's a hypocrite and a liar and you really shouldn't take the things he says at face value. He's planned out this whole weird murder/suicide revenge ploy because he's a mad at a mailman for delivering a package. His justification is that people need to take responsibility for their actions, and yet we've been clearly shown that Ulysses never actually takes responsibility for his own actions since every other DLC is directly caused by his own stupid decisions: He told Elijah where the Sierra Madre was, he's the one who broke the Think Tank out of their mental loop, and he's the one who trained the White Legs. Instead of cleaning up his own messes he hyper fixates on you, because in his mind you are the joker to his Batman. You have to be. Because if you're not that means his one shot at a happy and meaningful life was taken away from him for no reason and everything is loving meaningless and his traumatized mind can't really process that right now so hey wanna hear a monologue about historical pseudo-philosophy?
a lot of people miss this and that fact in itself is hilarious

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Considering that the Courier decided to go to vegas via the Cazador Death Party (what with being intercepted near Goodsprings) I don't think we can assume that pre-player Courier was in any way cautious without the material saying such.

So it's wrong to check the writer's favored themes to intuit the themes of the current work being discussed, but it is right to make wild assumptions that the Courier did his best to make sure Hopeville didn't get blown up, despite having no source in the work saying such?

I'm assuming the courier intended to get to vegas via Sloan, and was unaware of the Deathclaw outbreak in the quarry (which is implied to be a recent development as the miners warn travelers that the road is blocked off by face-mauling claws)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I am not obligated to take your 'gently caress it yolo' playthroughs as the canon outcome of the game, or as a disproof of a human/social concept of self-interested due diligence in general.

And if a work can't establish a theme on its own then ... well, that says a lot about the work, but let's leave it at maybe the theme's not there.

The work establishes its own themes just fine, and it's still not a bad idea to use as an author's other texts as a lens. The Metal Gear Solid series kind of benefits from this, the games are self-contained but tend to make a little more sense within the context of the other games

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You do realize that this isn't exactly a new trope, right? "Deliver this box, but DONT LOOK IN IT" has been a plot for a shitload of stories.

quote:

If you're going to bring in your own assumptions that have no basis in the text, then it's entirely reasonable for me to bring assumptions with a basis in the author's past works.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

a lot of people miss this and that fact in itself is hilarious

I don't recall, but I think that Ulysses admits that he's not any better, and that's why he's got said suicide/murder plot in hand, and why even after pacifying him he still stays in the Divide.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

2house2fly posted:

The work establishes its own themes just fine, and it's still not a bad idea to use as an author's other texts as a lens. The Metal Gear Solid series kind of benefits from this, the games are self-contained but tend to make a little more sense within the context of the other games

It does, but Neurolimal's coming off as desperate to shoehorn 'personal negligence' into it. I just hope they're not trying to argue like Ulysses as a gimmick or something.

Bad analogy: the Metal Gear Solid titles are a continuous series; a Fallout game and a Star Wars game that share an author are not.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Ulysses :ohdear:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

double nine posted:

Kreia was less libertarian and more psuedo anarchist honestly.

Her whole thought process was that the Sith/Jedi are agents of a flawed system and their power naturally leads them to positions of power which they then abuse. And that if the galaxy was going to survive, the Sith/Jedi would have to be removed from the equation so that spacemanity? could regain it's agency and control it's own destiny without rear end in a top hat space wizards enforcing their will on the people. And that your wound could be ripped open and spread to every Sith/Jedi thus causing the death of the Force and the return of power to everyday people.

Which is......questionable considering the galaxy seems to be pretty good at having Civil Wars and lovely capitalist hellholes like Nar Shadaa even without Jedi. but hey. At least we wouldn't have had the genocides and fascism of the Empire.

The problem is people only see her views as they apply to you as the individual, and never then do a second playthrough to do things differently ( where she still argues with most of your decisions ).

There is actually a neat undercurrent in KotOR2 I've never seen people bring up, where for the intro/first few planets most of your choices really are just good/evil, and Kreia will lambaste you for choosing either option. But by the later planets you start getting three options, good/neutral/evil, and Kreia responds very positively to the neutral options. Many of which aren't actually terrible, but just are built around the ideals Kreia wants you to realize. Namely that if her plan works, the Jedi and Sith won't exist anymore, and people can't be relying on strangers stopping by to save them anymore. And that's her whole sell. You have to stop selling heroism to people. You have to stop forcing people to rely on you. This galaxy is hosed because everyone basically waits for a Jedi to show up to fix problems, and nobody can do anything by themselves anymore. And you are about to destroy the Jedi ( in her mind ), so selling Jediism to people is a real bad long term play.

She's basically the opposite of the ubersmench idea. She wants to destroy the government/systems of power, but she then wants to give the power back to the common man.

Back to the thread, I didn't like Ulysses or the Divide because it was way to focused and forced. After 80 some hours wandering the Wasteland and doing everything I could do, it honestly kinda stunk to save this DLC for right before the end, only to have a spooky trail leading to a guy who wanted to monologue at me for 5 minutes about stuff I had nothing to do with. If they'd opened up more of the Divide and let you interact with the NCR tank guys trying to come through to the Mojave ( and help/hurt them since they wouldn't know if you were NCR/Legion/Self ), or just actually explore the town a bit more I probably would have liked it.

I think next time I won't hold it till the end.

As for this debate about whether the Courier did his due diligence with the package, what? It was a package from NCR command for the NCR troops in the Divide. Why the gently caress would the Courier think anything of this package. Why would the Courier be opening or checking government mail. Isn't it even implied the NCR didn't realize that it would actually set off the nukes as soon as it showed up? I thought the pretense was they wanted it on hand incase the Legion actually took the town, but it instead just blew up the town as soon as it arrived because old world tech. Thus it wasn't anybodies fault at all.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm not gonna defend or attack Ulysses because I only played it to the very end once and tuned him out despite generally loving long-winded Avellone characters (see: all of Dead Money) but I will defend Lonesome Road for doing something different and being a straight-up dungeon crawl of increasingly challenging enemies. It kinda stretched the limits of FNV's janky combat to the breaking point but it was a nice effort and there's nothing really like it in F3 or F4 despite both being way more combat focused.

quote:

I think next time I won't hold it till the end.

You can actually dip in super early level to grab the nailgun, general's coat and one of the best ED-E upgrades as long as you're capable of taking on a single sentry-bot, it's something I did on later playthroughs nearly every time to get an early advantage.

There's also something to be said for the idea of abusing game mechanics and completing LR before getting to Vegas, nuking both the Legion and the NCR and still having them offer to wipe the slate clean afterwards :haw:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kinda because I triggered this point, I have to ask where the gently caress Avellone palling around with Nazis came from

But yeah, one goon earlier on said he is stuck doing the same character for a while now, and I gotta agree: it was fun and interesting in Planescape: Torment, but then you always get that one guy in the game who rags on your character (but actually you the player) for some perspective du jour which was interesting back then (I particularly liked early parts Kreia as a deconstruction argument against the Force, for example)

HOWEVER, I suspect he lost touch once his overall audience started to mature and had contact with a fuckton more references of philosophy and literature that well puts any game so far made to look bad. Late teens/very young adult to be exposed to a character like Kreia or the transcendent one and the other personalities of the nameless one in Torment is cool as a brain tickler, something to "hey, if you liked this, there is a lot of awesome stuff that you are going to love".

Once they are in their 30s, though, with a taste for literature? Avellone lags pretty bad, and tbqh, it isn't his fault per se, more of an audience that expects more or less the same from his

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

dead comedy forums posted:

Kinda because I triggered this point, I have to ask where the gently caress Avellone palling around with Nazis came from

Like several other RPG developers, Avellone has posted on RPGCodex - largely because they've done interviews with him and he likes to follow up, and also because it's the biggest community website focusing on CRPGs. RPGCodex is also a toxic hellpit full of racists and ironic turbo-libertarians, largely because it's the biggest community website focusing on CRPGs.

A Sometimes Food overstated it because some people took the Avellone-Obsidian divorce very badly and this is useful ammunition.

quote:

HOWEVER, I suspect he lost touch once his overall audience started to mature and had contact with a fuckton more references of philosophy and literature that well puts any game so far made to look bad. Late teens/very young adult to be exposed to a character like Kreia or the transcendent one and the other personalities of the nameless one in Torment is cool as a brain tickler, something to "hey, if you liked this, there is a lot of awesome stuff that you are going to love".

Once they are in their 30s, though, with a taste for literature? Avellone lags pretty bad, and tbqh, it isn't his fault per se, more of an audience that expects more or less the same from his

This seems like a strange standard to specifically hold Avellone to. For what it's worth, Avellone seems mostly interested in subverting common game/fantasy/RPG tropes - e.g. Planescape: Torment and its "no elves, swords or chainmail", KOTOR2 and its take on XP, party companions and RPG morality, Dead Money and the PipBoy quest markers, Elijah's true treasure and the general level design. Ulysses' specific thrust is mostly about deflating the conceit that the player alone should have agency in the game world, applied directly to the PC's given backstory. Libertarianism, space-based or otherwise, doesn't factor into it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

There's also something to be said for the idea of abusing game mechanics and completing LR before getting to Vegas, nuking both the Legion and the NCR and still having them offer to wipe the slate clean afterwards :haw:

I mean i just hold off talking to House since thats where the reputation reset questlines start coming. You can enter vegas just fine, just dont go talk to House. Its not a huge hold off anyway since it pretty fast starts the end game.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I think im gonna finally boot up fallout 2 with the fan restoration patch or whatever. I got bored quick when i got to the first town because double checking guides to make sure i did "all the things" got old after 1. Also i loving loved 1.

I kinda wanna minigun the poo poo out of people even if it isnt optimal because i did optimal in 1. Any suggestions?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
whatever you do dont take fast shot trait since not being able to do groin shots is unbearable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rookersh posted:

Her whole thought process was that the Sith/Jedi are agents of a flawed system and their power naturally leads them to positions of power which they then abuse. And that if the galaxy was going to survive, the Sith/Jedi would have to be removed from the equation so that spacemanity? could regain it's agency and control it's own destiny without rear end in a top hat space wizards enforcing their will on the people. And that your wound could be ripped open and spread to every Sith/Jedi thus causing the death of the Force and the return of power to everyday people.

Which is......questionable considering the galaxy seems to be pretty good at having Civil Wars and lovely capitalist hellholes like Nar Shadaa even without Jedi. but hey. At least we wouldn't have had the genocides and fascism of the Empire.

The problem is people only see her views as they apply to you as the individual, and never then do a second playthrough to do things differently ( where she still argues with most of your decisions ).

There is actually a neat undercurrent in KotOR2 I've never seen people bring up, where for the intro/first few planets most of your choices really are just good/evil, and Kreia will lambaste you for choosing either option. But by the later planets you start getting three options, good/neutral/evil, and Kreia responds very positively to the neutral options. Many of which aren't actually terrible, but just are built around the ideals Kreia wants you to realize. Namely that if her plan works, the Jedi and Sith won't exist anymore, and people can't be relying on strangers stopping by to save them anymore. And that's her whole sell. You have to stop selling heroism to people. You have to stop forcing people to rely on you. This galaxy is hosed because everyone basically waits for a Jedi to show up to fix problems, and nobody can do anything by themselves anymore. And you are about to destroy the Jedi ( in her mind ), so selling Jediism to people is a real bad long term play.

She's basically the opposite of the ubersmench idea. She wants to destroy the government/systems of power, but she then wants to give the power back to the common man.

Her problem is not with the Sith or the Jedi, they are merely symptoms of the main cause, which is the Force itself. Kreia despises the idea of Fate, and plans to silence it permanently by killing the Force and freeing people from its will. Jedi and Sith are agents of the Force, and their abuse of its power feeds its ambition, "the will of the Force". Kreia finds the idea of an all controlling power like that abhorrent and complicit in the deaths of trillions over millennia of cyclical wars. And when you see the ground level view of the Force schisms, it's hard to really sympathize with the Jedi or the Sith. Between the two, the common man really only sees them as troublemaking laser swordsmen. Also keep in mind that the time period in which the game takes place is in the aftermath of two absolutely devastating wars that showed how action and inaction by the Jedi caused immense damage. The outer rim was trashed by the Mandalorians after they accepted an offer by The Sith to attack the Republic, and before the Republic could even send relief, the same Jedi who saved the Outer Rim immediately turned around and started conquering it again as Sith.

In Kreia's mind, the Force is responsible for all of this. Jedi and Sith are more like catalysts for destruction than the root cause. Grey Jedi are also not a solution. Inaction when you have the means to help someone in need is bad as well. Apathy is death, after all. She wants you to understand your actions and find reasons to justify them without falling back on dogma or altruism. There needs to be a purpose behind action. Altruism and cruelty can only weaken others in time for no gain, but undermining someone to gain a personal advantage and acquiring power as a result is acceptable. So long as you understand and justify yourself she will not criticize you.

"Like so many Jedi, you hear but do not listen." She doesn't want you to be like her, she wants you to understand yourself, and to use her teachings. You are precious to her because she sees how you have lived without The Force, and that is a beautiful thing in her eyes. You're not bound by fate. There is only you.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

This seems like a strange standard to specifically hold Avellone to.

The way I see it, it's more about the how-to instead of the idea itself: deconstruction is a powerful literary tool, but ranting at the player through an author avatar after all these years with usually the same approach just feels tired and deflated. I ranted about Ulysses because it was a total miss for me, even though I got the point he was trying to make.

Also I finished the game! Telling a Securitron to shove Oliver was unexpectedly hilarious, and making Lanius retreat wasn't as satisfying as I expected but, overall, these were some solid hours of RPG entertainment. Not playing it again anytime soon though, haha

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

dead comedy forums posted:

The way I see it, it's more about the how-to instead of the idea itself: deconstruction is a powerful literary tool, but ranting at the player through an author avatar after all these years with usually the same approach just feels tired and deflated. I ranted about Ulysses because it was a total miss for me, even though I got the point he was trying to make.

OK but that's not quite the same as "Avellone seems smart to ignorant teenagers but compared to real philosophy he's dumb"

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Wow jeez, I didn't expect all this from my question but I'm certainly happy folks are talking about it.

I think a lot of people get really salty at LR because it feels like your character is railroaded into do something you may or may not have wanted them to do. It was kinda lovely, but I can't see any other way to have made the conceit of the plot work otherwise. They did at least keep it vague enough that there's plenty of room for interpretation on what happened with your specific courier.

I wonder if, originally, they intended to have Ulysses do something like this after travelling with you long enough, so he could react to what you actually did instead of having to rely on some off camera poo poo. I'll admit it was a bit disappointing to find out what pissed Ulysses off so much after the really really good job they did of building it up through the main game and the previous 3 DLCs. The divide was kind of a let-down, but I attribute that mostly to the limitations of the fallout 3 engine.

I still don't get the hate for Avellone, though. Yeah he's not exactly doing anything groundbreaking, but it's a drat sight better than the pap you get from RPGs usually. I'll take Kreia any day over "But thou must!" or "HATE NEWSPAPERS". At the end of the day it's still a videogame so you have to dumb it down enough for most of your audience to get.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randaconda posted:

I like Ulysses :ohdear:

Me too, he's fascinating.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The original idea for Ulysses was that he would be a Legion-affiliated companion, and then through dialogue with the player would eventually come to support whichever faction you chose. Given Chris Avellone's frequent focus on writing huge amount of reactive dialogue, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he would have discussed the long-term ramifications of some quests

E: that reminds me of one of my favorite RPG ideas, and absent any evidence to the contrary I'm going to credit Chris Avellone with it. In Alpha Protocol there will sometimes be flash forwards after you complete a mission, showing the player character discussing the mission with the game's villain. Whatever you choose during the missions, the villain asks why, and you have a few options to defend what you chose. It's really neat!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Ulysses mostly confused me so ive never really killed him or hated him. Though i also always nuke both NCR and legion no matter the playthrough so im probably confusing him an equal amount so were even i guess.