Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Why would you want to see trained guys vs amateurs? They would be too one sided.

Eric Paulson pitched a show once where he took two people who had no experience what so ever, train them for a month or so and put them in a match. That would be a more entertaining idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Defenestrategy posted:

Eric Paulson pitched a show once where he took two people who had no experience what so ever, train them for a month or so and put them in a match. That would be a more entertaining idea.

I would love this. Especially if you had two people with legitimate beef.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Why would you want to see trained guys vs amateurs? They would be too one sided.

because watching pretend tough guys get thoroughly humbled is quality entertainment. i developed a crippling sexual fetish for it after being owned once by a post early in my forums career

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
JJJ chat: I started BJJ around the same time as a dude who's a 2nd dan black belt in JJJ, and he's a very legit grappler. He was competitive with experienced purple belts out of the gate and actually just won a F2W Pro match not too long ago. Hilariously, our coach promoted him to purple right before his match (F2W only allows purple and up) and then demoted him back to blue immediately afterward.

He'll also be the first person to tell you that JJJ has some serious quality control issues, so take that as you will.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

Amateur means trained; hth.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've been thinking more about the WC range issue. In a street fight, I could see a lot of value in throwing open finger strikes to the face, trying to get an eye. It doesn't have to have much power, but most of the other jab mechanics carry right over. Having your fingers and palm speared out gets you another 4-5" of reach, too.

Favoring speed over speed+power means that you could throw arm punches at range instead of sitting more. And these arm punches could conceivably be more easily parried by arms from the head-up, torso on centerline WC stance. Basically a more formalized slapboxing style. I don't know that it's meaningful to stay at that range for long in a fight. A lot of WC choreography goes into super long chess-like if-this-then-that response chains. And by long, I mean even 3 or 4 back and forths. Anything more complex than the pummeling from wrestling drills.

The most value I could see from training WC is parrying a straight punch and stepping/pivoting to the outside, which opens up their head and body to you, or you can stay close and go for an arm drag or back take.

Super advanced intercepts would be like that elbow Weidman landed on Mark Munoz, where you land a harder weapon at closer range because you know your opponent is moving in. But even there, Weidman still plans for a counter (or attack, really) by moving his head offline.
https://i.imgur.com/hSnmL7k.mp4

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah but why not box and watch James toney videos every day for similar effect.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

I've been thinking more about the WC range issue. In a street fight, I could see a lot of value in throwing open finger strikes to the face, trying to get an eye. It doesn't have to have much power, but most of the other jab mechanics carry right over. Having your fingers and palm speared out gets you another 4-5" of reach, too.

Favoring speed over speed+power means that you could throw arm punches at range instead of sitting more. And these arm punches could conceivably be more easily parried by arms from the head-up, torso on centerline WC stance. Basically a more formalized slapboxing style. I don't know that it's meaningful to stay at that range for long in a fight. A lot of WC choreography goes into super long chess-like if-this-then-that response chains. And by long, I mean even 3 or 4 back and forths. Anything more complex than the pummeling from wrestling drills.

The most value I could see from training WC is parrying a straight punch and stepping/pivoting to the outside, which opens up their head and body to you, or you can stay close and go for an arm drag or back take.

Super advanced intercepts would be like that elbow Weidman landed on Mark Munoz, where you land a harder weapon at closer range because you know your opponent is moving in. But even there, Weidman still plans for a counter (or attack, really) by moving his head offline.
https://i.imgur.com/hSnmL7k.mp4

The footwork and hip rotation that creates the power on that elbow is also only possible because of Weidman's boxing/kickboxing/MMA stance. And he's able to time and land it because he was able establish range with conventional strikes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ancient martial arts whose techniques have been refined through practical application and passed down for hundreds of years do exist -- muay thai, folk wrestling styles like sumo, boxing, fencing, etc. Kung fu, not so much.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

This is a pretty good write-up of how I mostly use WC. I'm primarily a knife fighter, so I'm not big on power punches. I need to get my hand out fast, and I need to make sure the other guy doesn't get their hand out very far. Most of my training is aimed toward taking the outside so I can stop the trap the elbow to prevent a slice. WC is the best art I've seen for that.

And if you do it enough with a knife, you get good at doing it empty handed.

I wouldn't recommend someone learn WC if they want to fight in a cage; but it works pretty well for what I want it to be. It's just hard to learn because most of the people who actually know it well also teach it in an impractical, traditional way that just doesn't take the outside world into account.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 18, 2018

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I typically think of HEMA as a bunch of fat LARP'ers with expensive swords, but I guess poo poo gets real sometimes not actually HEMA, muay thai:

https://i.imgur.com/r5vol49.gifv

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah but why not box and watch James toney videos every day for similar effect.

I'm not arguing for WC as being an effective training system.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The footwork and hip rotation that creates the power on that elbow is also only possible because of Weidman's boxing/kickboxing/MMA stance. And he's able to time and land it because he was able establish range with conventional strikes.

Yeah, you can pick up the tactic of jamming inside and landing a short strike in a lot of arts, and yes, Weidman's conventional training makes it easy for him to apply that concept well.
I'm just saying that it's a bigger goal in WC than in other arts.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ancient martial arts whose techniques have been refined through practical application and passed down for hundreds of years do exist -- muay thai, folk wrestling styles like sumo, boxing, fencing, etc. Kung fu, not so much.
Basically any live training system works, and there's plenty of kung fu (either by style or by school) that fit the bill. The proliferation of lineages and reputation as substitute for demonstrated skill is kind of fascinating.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

spandexcajun posted:

I typically think of HEMA as a bunch of fat LARP'ers with expensive swords, but I guess poo poo gets real sometimes
HMB, not HEMA. It's for history nerds who are too cool to fence with swords that bend.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

China probably had these at one point, because it’s huge and rural, perpetually at war, and guns were rare. But the temples that trained people were strategically significant with regards to revolts and civil wars, so successive chinese governments would murder them all whenever they came to power. Purge them all five or six times and what do you have left? 2013’s “The Ultimate Fighter: China” where they couldn’t find 16 people who were even passable at fighting in a country with 1.4 billion people in it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

China probably had these at one point, because it’s huge and rural, and guns were rare. But the temples that trained people were strategically significant with regards to revolts and civil wars, so successive chinese governments would murder them all whenever they came to power. Purge them all five or six times and what do you have left? 2013’s “The Ultimate Fighter: China” where they couldn’t find 16 people who were even passable at fighting in a country with 1.4 billion people in it

China has shuai jiao and sanshou.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wangsbig posted:

i want to see a tournament between guys that actually train & 'i do ufc' guys or ones that have been going to their rec center gym for a few months or whatever

Remember Bully Beatdown? That's basically what you're wanting but with a lot of dumb MTV poo poo thrown in as well. Comically one bully did beat an MMA guy. I think it may have been Huerta.

Here's Arlovski bullying a bully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTM0F5qsmNQ

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 19, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tried out a boxing gym near me today.

Sent an email told them I currently do BJJ and have done muay thai/mma for awhile although it's been a year since I actively trained. So that while I know nothing about boxing, I do have striking experience and my goal is to learn how to hit people/not get hit under the rules of boxing and not really cardio/weight loss/fitness. Dude said yea, that was completely fine and that I should try the fitness boxing class. Said the only difference between that class and the advanced class is the advanced class has sparring, but you'd still learn drills and the skills to carry on into the advanced class.

I thought that was a giant red flag, but at the least I'd get some heavy bag work and maybe some pointers with a stance for just boxing, on my jab, or learn something I didn't know and maybe a decent workout.

Approximately 45 minutes of road work, five/ten minutes on the bag, and another five/ten minutes of doing more road work while the trainer held mitts for one quick 3 count combo before sending you off to just run circles and I'm thoroughly pissed that I didn't pay attention to the red flag, because the workout wasn't even all that great and I didn't get advice on poo poo. It wasn't as if the class was particularly big either, eight people, or the trainer didn't know anything, I saw him work the mitts and heavy bag before class. Kinda ranty and crap, just annoyed that I didn't just skip going to that and just got another 30 or so minutes of rolling instead.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 19, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
It sas worth the risk, could of been an amazing gym, you live and learn.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Defenestrategy posted:

Tried out a boxing gym near me today.

Sent an email told them I currently do BJJ and have done muay thai/mma for awhile although it's been a year since I actively trained. So that while I know nothing about boxing, I do have striking experience and my goal is to learn how to hit people/not get hit under the rules of boxing and not really cardio/weight loss/fitness. Dude said yea, that was completely fine and that I should try the fitness boxing class. Said the only difference between that class and the advanced class is the advanced class has sparring, but you'd still learn drills and the skills to carry on into the advanced class.

I thought that was a giant red flag, but at the least I'd get some heavy bag work and maybe some pointers with a stance for just boxing, on my jab, or learn something I didn't know and maybe a decent workout.

Approximately 45 minutes of road work, five/ten minutes on the bag, and another five/ten minutes of doing more road work while the trainer held mitts for one quick 3 count combo before sending you off to just run circles and I'm thoroughly pissed that I didn't pay attention to the red flag, because the workout wasn't even all that great and I didn't get advice on poo poo. It wasn't as if the class was particularly big either, eight people, or the trainer didn't know anything, I saw him work the mitts and heavy bag before class. Kinda ranty and crap, just annoyed that I didn't just skip going to that and just got another 30 or so minutes of rolling instead.

leave them a bad review and move on.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Try the other class?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

spandexcajun posted:

I typically think of HEMA as a bunch of fat LARP'ers with expensive swords, but I guess poo poo gets real sometimes not actually HEMA, muay thai:

https://i.imgur.com/r5vol49.gifv

uh, this isn't HEMA, its either BoTN or one of its off shoots.

HEMA is far from far LARPers with expensive swords. Its a young martial art, and mostly full of younger folks that cannot afford expensive swords.

Dont confuse HEMA and ACL/BoTN stuff. HEMA is attempt to recreate the martial arts of Europe. The other is a sport.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah you loving gently caress. How dare you. Can't believe you made such a gaff.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I loving love watching full-contact karate.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Siivola posted:

Is it actually fun to watch the events, or just highlights like this?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Honestly, just the highlights. Out of the modern combat sports, judo is the only one I can be bothered to watch for more than a match or three. A good ippon looks spectacular and they're not nearly as rare as spinning kick knockouts or whatever.

Edit: That said, I should buy a month of Fightpass and check out Quintet. Their ruleset looked cool and I hear it was a good event?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 20, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yeah Quintet was v cool. And there is another Quintet fight night coming up 9 June I think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Siivola posted:

That looks like TKD to me.
Full power stuff like Kyokushin is too grueling for me. A ruleset where you can't punch to the face is just too foreign for me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like the Glory rules. Not perfect but pretty fun.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

That looks like TKD to me.
Can't believe I made such a gaff. :v:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Siivola posted:

Can't believe I made such a gaff. :v:

TKD has sick highlights nothing wrong with appreciating that

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 30, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sumo fascinates me because it is really good at exactly what it is designed for.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Liquid Communism posted:

Sumo fascinates me because it is really good at exactly what it is designed for.

err.... as a focal point for drunken gambling?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CommonShore posted:

err.... as a focal point for drunken gambling?

And a spectacle of two fat men hurling each other bodily around a small platform, yes.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

And a spectacle of two fat men hurling each other bodily around a small platform, yes.

Don't forget that the Yakuza also fixes most of the matches so it's ancient WWE.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Was this the thread where people were wanting to see a show with pro gyms taking untrained people and getting them ready for a fight?

Well...

https://twitter.com/Wimp2Warrior/status/998900205259915265

mewse
May 2, 2006

I thought human experimentation was illegal

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

my ask was more akin to the roman colosseum side shows where they'd throw slaves in with literal lions but this might be cool

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Was this the thread where people were wanting to see a show with pro gyms taking untrained people and getting them ready for a fight?

Well...

I know first hand that those things are really sketchy, I've twice been asked to be a late minute replacement in white collar boxing and told to take it steady on the other guy and not beat him too easily become so many people drop out on the night. I refused both times because whilst it's clear I would of beaten both fairly easily, I'm no where skilled enough to do it whilst holding back hurting them and not getting hurt myself. Plus I was trt'ing at the time and vowed I wouldn't fight on gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

My trained amateur boxer friend with one bout on his record is participating in one of those things (3 months of training before bout) and I think he's gonna maul his opponent