Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

wyoming posted:

And this.

i just crumpled into a ball on the floor over this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

And this.

women put up w/ too much, man

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rirse posted:

And history repeats itself with Funko Pops replacing Beanie Babies.

A guy I used to work with sold three for the 3 or 4 hundred dollars needed to fix the AC in his house. I don't get it.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Rirse posted:

For the most part that is true, then you get this.

What's his SA username?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

hard counter posted:

sort of, yes

a beloved pop icon dying in a dumb comicbook storyline became a story that actually hit mainstream news outlets back in the early 90s causing like ~7 million people, mostly normals swayed by the sudden coverage and unaware of how modern comics work, to buy the death of superman issue in huge store-filling mobs to pour out a last one for supes while inadvertently creating a widespread belief that superman would actually stay dead... tho most hardcore nerds got the feeling the death was a publicity stunt seeing as they always are in comics

the extra interest massively raised sales for the next story arc, a world without superman, but then it was a weirdly disappointing/frustrating public event when superman came back in the return of superman arc and from the backlash of people who felt deceived by fake comicbook death and vowed to drop comics forever DC felt like they managed things poorly enough on their end that later on they just broke batman's back instead of killing him; as far as i know DC, however, still mostly blames the media for not being well informed about the comics industry and ignorantly running a story that misled the public since most nerds actually familiar with the industry pretty much knew this wasn't going to stick

I was talking about in BvS.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A guy I know opened up a comic/games store in upstate NY. It quickly turned into a Pop Vinyl store, unofficially. It's wall to wall Pops, and every week he posts new releases on Facebook. It's crazy. He'll buy them out at places and resell them for a huge markup. I used to like the things when they first appeared, even (now regretfully) bought some for people. Now the only one I like is my Bob Ross one, but who can get upset about a Bob Ross anything?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

JacquelineDempsey posted:

When my kitchen cabinets started getting clogged with SW themed cups from Taco Bell, it actually killed a six year relationship. I loved him dearly, but I just couldn't take fighting over that anymore, and he refused to stop.

i hope things are better now since that's legitimately awful :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I was talking about in BvS.

Last Id heard the original pitch Snyder made was he would stay dead till the third film but WB refused after BvS delivered below what they wanted.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Funcopop the Poor?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Collecting Funko Pops seems like a bad idea precisely because in a few years there's gonna be shitloads of people who desperately want to get rid of the plastic crap that the novelty wore off of.

Beanie Babies at least were decent quality plush toys, iirc. And I think they're still making them or a variant? I've seen 'Beanie Kids' around. (Maybe 'babies' doesn't market test so well now)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Funkos are weird because there's the common, garbage one that gets posted everywhere

But then there's a Vinyl Edition which actually looks like something worth money if that's your thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Buy Nendoroids instead. Way cuter, more options, super high quality. Less variety (anime-focused) and more expensive though.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Just buy some Homies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arivia posted:

Buy Nendoroids instead. Way cuter, more options, super high quality. Less variety (anime-focused) and more expensive though.

Yeah the thing about Pops are I can be at the store and go "oh hey a little David Bowie with crotch bulge for my desk. $10? Sure why not" and it's a nice impulse buy price. Nendroids look to be significantly more than that and most stores don't have a wall of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plus, Funko Pops tend to include franchises and characters that get little to no other easily accessible or quality merchandise. If you want like, even the Steven Universe cast, your options are some garbage Lego knockoffs, hard to find keychains, or Funko Pops.

Note that the Vinyl Edition Cuphead box has its own distinct packaging style and way downplays the Funko Pop branding, they're pretty clearly aware of their reputation. Funko Pops are made to be as cheap as possible to produce, I wager.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Arivia posted:

More options? Psh.

Call me when I can get a line of Golden Girls Nendoroids for my desk. :smuggo:

Len posted:

Yeah the thing about Pops are I can be at the store and go "oh hey a little David Bowie with crotch bulge for my desk. $10? Sure why not" and it's a nice impulse buy price. Nendroids look to be significantly more than that and most stores don't have a wall of them.

This, basically. I keep hearing 'oh just get Nendoroids instead!' when I tell people I've got a small Pop collection, but they're two completely different types of figure lines aimed at two different kinds of collectors. They're not really comparable to each other, other than both being small figures of popular characters.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I seem to also recall some story from the early days of South Park how Parker and Stone were approached early on in the success of the show to start selling merchandise aimed at a kid audience and didn't sign off on that because they were trying to make it clear that SP was not a show that was aimed at kids and didn't want to start giving the hint that it was.

I don't know how much of that is still the case, though. The toy aisles over the last few years are full of MA/R-rated toys almost right next to the relatively all ages ones, and more stuff is geared to the adult collector, so I don't know if SP is still trying to maintain an aversion to that or not (or ever even did.)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Just buy some Homies.

Just buy heroin, it would be more productive.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bought the LEGO Back to the Future set for $20 and that's going for $100 or more now. So the answer is to put your retirement into LEGO. But only the ones that will appreciate in value.

Back to the Future has aged beautifully because Christopher Lloyd has looked the same age in everything he's done for 30 years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I bought the LEGO Back to the Future set for $20 and that's going for $100 or more now. So the answer is to put your retirement into LEGO. But only the ones that will appreciate in value.

Back to the Future has aged beautifully because Christopher Lloyd has looked the same age in everything he's done for 30 years.

Apparently the Star Wars sets double in price as soon as they leave production which is insane to me because LEGO are meant for building fun times I mean there was even a whole movie about it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vandar posted:

More options? Psh.

Call me when I can get a line of Golden Girls Nendoroids for my desk. :smuggo:

This, basically. I keep hearing 'oh just get Nendoroids instead!' when I tell people I've got a small Pop collection, but they're two completely different types of figure lines aimed at two different kinds of collectors. They're not really comparable to each other, other than both being small figures of popular characters.

I meant more options as in Nendoroids come with a ton of different accessories and parts and so on. Much better design than just a block of plastic,

I don't disagree that Funkos really have the range of choices + impulse buy setup down though. Just pointing out Nendoroids if you want a figure collection that wasn't frustrating.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The best part about Funko Pop figures is how you can't recognize half of them without the character's name next to them.

Oh hey, that's... White Dude in Shirt!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

There was a goon here a long time ago who did a whole write up about his investment legos. Basically that if you had a closet and a few storage tubs you could almost always buy good franchise legos and the adult designer kits, hold them for a year or two and then sell them for double or triple what you paid. Just a matter of having time, space and money.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly with Pops, its the faces. I bought my friend a Reaper and don't regret that because with the full mask he actually looks like a standard SD figure. Another character would have a big, featureless square jaw and endless black pits for eyes, and that'd just look weird.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

Checks prices from when I was a kid on basic blocks. Checks prices today.

So....all of them then?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some do moreso than others.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm a bit shocked that the Halo Warthog set has gone up in value as much as it has. I mean, it's not even the Lego brand. Even one of the really Stargate sets by Best-Lock has a big asking price now.

I'd be tempted to buy a decent official Red Dwarf Starbug block set if one existed, though, so I'm only adding to the problem.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
I wanted some of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit lego sets because I like building them rather than for investments. I don't know if it's still the case, but back then the real money was in the lego minifigs because you couldn't buy them on their own and people liked to collect them or use them for jewelry or something? I'm not entirely sure. So people would buy up lego sets, open up the boxes, separate the minifigs from the rest of the set, sell the minifigs for exorbitant prices and then sell the rest of the set box and minifig free for less than 1/2 the price of a complete one.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yep, that's still the case, at least for licensed sets. Minifigs are by far the most valuable part.

There's also collectible minifigs these days, which are a lucky dip kind of thing where you don't know what's in the bag until you buy it. People go loving nuts over those and I don't get it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I own too many of those minifigs, aside from the gambling thrill of blind bags, the minifigs are pretty nicely designed, usually more detailed than anything else but licensed or storyline minfigs with a sense of personality to them, a wide variety of aesthetics and occasionally clearly copyright-skirting versions of popular fictional characters. (or just regular popular fictional characters in the case of the licensed ones. Though I think the Simpsons ones and definitely the Ninjago ones were bombs)

Doesn't help with a lot of the licensed stuff that isn't from toy-friendly franchises, the sets are basically an excuse to make the minifigs, maybe loosely recreating a movie scene, and they often deliberately make certain minifigs only available with certain sets.

Oddly enough there's some limits on what Lego will license despite drastically expanding their licensing for the movie and Lego Dimensions. They won't make 'war toys', at least of recognisable modern military equipment (the closest they get is the army men set for Toy Story, oddly enough) which leaves a lot of franchises to the off-brand companies without that scruple, probably including Halo. They also probably cost a fair amount of money to license, especially for some franchises that don't really have a lot to make toys out of. (Dimensions maybe being a way around that) Lastly, I have a feeling they have a hard time playing nice with other toy companies that are technically their competitors, so you probably won't see official Transformers or My Little Pony LEGO sets. I think they also favour DC over Marvel mostly due to WB distributing the Lego Movie, though they technically produce the DC and Marvel sets both under the Super Heroes branding, and plenty of Disney stuff. (I hope they do DuckTales sets despite Disney rarely merchandising their TV stuff. I'd buy a Money Bin set)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Blind boxes/bags are the worst thing ever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

goldenninjawarrior posted:

I wanted some of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit lego sets because I like building them rather than for investments. I don't know if it's still the case, but back then the real money was in the lego minifigs because you couldn't buy them on their own and people liked to collect them or use them for jewelry or something? I'm not entirely sure. So people would buy up lego sets, open up the boxes, separate the minifigs from the rest of the set, sell the minifigs for exorbitant prices and then sell the rest of the set box and minifig free for less than 1/2 the price of a complete one.

The best thing about Lego as an investment is they don't really lose a ton of value if you build the sets and display them for a while. As long as you take care of them like, don't leave them in the sun and preferably don't smoke, dust every so often, you can disassemble the sets and re-sell the loose pieces for almost as much as a new unbuilt set, especially if you kept the box and instructions. As long as you don't lose any pieces and especially not the minifigures for the love of God that's 85% of the value right there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also don't let your kids use them too much. You can tell my childhood Lego brick by brick from the tooth marks. I didn't have a brick separator.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also don't let your kids use them too much. You can tell my childhood Lego brick by brick from the tooth marks. I didn't have a brick separator.

I didn't even know brick separators were a thing until someone mentioned in a GBS Lego thread a couple of years ago.

The number of times I'd stabbed myself with a metal nail file as a kid or risked my teeth, SMDH.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I didn't even know brick separators were a thing until someone mentioned in a GBS Lego thread a couple of years ago.

The number of times I'd stabbed myself with a metal nail file as a kid or risked my teeth, SMDH.

They certainly weren't around in the 80s when I played with Lego

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will forever remember the day I was in a toy shop with my dad and he said I was too old for Lego now but he'd buy me a book for my birthday instead.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will forever remember the day I was in a toy shop with my dad and he said I was too old for Lego now but he'd buy me a book for my birthday instead.

One can never forget the day they became an orphan over a duel of honor.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Davros1 posted:

They certainly weren't around in the 80s when I played with Lego

They were definitely around in at least ~1987 because I got one on the cover of a Lego club magazine.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sweevo posted:

They were definitely around in at least ~1987 because I got one on the cover of a Lego club magazine.

Right after I stopped playing with them. Figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lmfao